Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by finnd
    Although the magnesium seems a little more brittle while the aluminium has a little give to it.
    What do you mean by this? I have the aluminium case and the hinge pin keeps falling out and I was interested in the magnesium one, but what do you mean it seems a little more brittle? Are you saying that it can't survive more than one fall?
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    i have no doubt it would survive a fall, but the aluminium one is a little bendy, so if it doesn't fit as snugly as you would like it to, you can give it a little squeeze in the right areas to help form it to your treo. The magnesium one won't allow any bending. I found the magnesium case to be a bit loose on the 650, as it was made for the 600 and the 650. This is why I would like the option to shape and mold it a little. Keep in mind, I am anal retentive about my cases, most things actually. :-) What I find a little loose, others may think nothing of.
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    I think I understand. But your use of the word "brittle" is what has/had me concerned. I'm not worried about looseness (though the 650 is nice and snug in the aluminium case), as long as the cover stays closed and the case doesn't break with a big fall.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    well, i think if you ran over it it would snap rather then flex a bit like the aluminium one, although i doubt either would survive well.

Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by finnd
    well, i think if you ran over it it would snap rather then flex a bit like the aluminium one, although i doubt either would survive well.

Wait... you're telling me that if I drove over my phone... it would break...

Great Caesar's Ghost!

As long as the goofy thing can survive a fall without having to replace it, I'm sold. I love the aluminium one (except for the fact that the hinge pin does not want to stay in), and don't mind a few dents after a drop.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    Wait... you're telling me that if I drove over my phone... it would break...

I know, if only I had told you this two days ago . . . :-)
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    With the aluminum case I was able to reliably reproduce signal loss when compared to a non metal case.

Anyone have any comments with respect to the magnesium case?
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by perrygonzalez View Post
    So would any of you who bought the Magnum Case stick by your purchase or if given the opportunity switch to Innopocket's Metal Deluxe Case?
    I agree with the positive things that have been said about the magnesium case. It's great protection (which only hardcases can provide), has a larger cut-out for 5-way navigation, etc., the hinge door is useful (though I need to get used to it), the sd card storage is fantastic, and the cushions within the case are superior to that within the aluminum cases I've owned.

I've heard that the magnesium case does not get as cold as the aluminum case, but it seems to get pretty cold, to me. Maybe there's a difference, but I haven't noticed it, yet. No biggie, though.

The pictures I'd seen, before purchase, gave me the impression that the case was black or charcoal, but it's actual navy-blue.

It's a little bulkier, but the sd card storage is worth it.

Finally, the issue with the screw, in the back, keeping the door from flipping all the way around, is inconvenient, but you can always unscrew it at the times when you think you're likely to keep flipping it back. At those times, if you can keep the phone in your pocket, you won't miss the screw. Then, when you need it on your hip, replace the screw.

Given a choice between the magnesium case and the aluminum case, I'd pick the magnesium case if it's at the reduced price from a couple weeks, ago. Otherwise, I might go for the aluminum case.

The main differences are the sd card storage, the wider "finger" cut-out, and the better cushioning on the inside. The last one also makes it easier to remove the Treo for resets... which is nice since the reset hole on the magnesium (and aluminum) case is on the wrong side for the 650... which is quite ridiculous.

(By the way, I don't remember "deluxe" being in the name of the InnoPocket aluminum cases I've owned. Maybe we're talking about different ones?)
    Iíve been using magnum cases almost exclusively since I bought my first 650 almost three years ago. Iíve had one 650 replaced under warranty (software glitch) and have since upgraded to a 700wx and I still carry it in my Magnum.

Now when I say carry, I really mean that I drop, throw and toss my Treo all day. Thatís the real beauty of the Magnum. Other than the odd nick in the plastic on the (exposed) antenna, my Treos have been very well protected.

As a result of my abuse, my Magnum cases have suffered greatly. Both of them have broken in the exact same ways:

First, the belt clip is garbage. About every two weeks I would break a clip so I finally just gave up carrying it on my belt. Now I just carry it in my bag/coat/shirt/pants pocket.

Second, the SD caddy has come loose in both cases. Itís just glued into the area allowed for it and the glue eventually loosens up. The card holder wonít just fall out when it comes unglued unless you have the phone out of the case so itís not likely that youíll loose the holder and any cards in it. When it comes loose, a little superglue fixes the issue for the rest of the life of the case.

On a related note: I keep two cards in the holder at all times and swap them in and out of the device a couple of times a week and Iíve never had a card come out of the holder outside of as result of a pretty hard drop.

Third, the front cover has come off of both of my Magnum cases. After about a year, the plastic clips that connect the hinges to the case fail and the front comes right off. Iíve had some small success gluing the hinges back on, but itís only good for about long enough to get a new case ordered and delivered. The Magnum I have now is ďfacelessĒ while I try to decide on replacing it with another Magnum or ordering a different kind of case altogether.
    I owned two and both broke after hip-high falls.

Even before the breaks, it was too often that the device would fall, the hinge would be pushed, causing the door to open, the device would then flip over and land face-down... directly on the front of my Treo - the worst position in-which it could have landed.

It's sad to say but it seems that too many hard cases actually CAUSE the device to be damaged.

Now, I use a horizontal pouch with the Seidio Super-Slim Rubberized Hard Case (which is more like a hard skin).
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12