Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is how I got my Treo 650 (Cingular) to work with my Lexus RX-330. This should work for all Lexus cars.

FIRST OF ALL MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE THE LATEST FIRMWARE FOR YOUR TREO 650. IF YOU DONíT, GO TO THE PALM WEBSITE AND UPDATE YOUR TREO.

PART 1: GETTTING YOUR LEXUS TO RECOGNIZE YOUR TREO (plagiarized from Youngturk in another post)

1) Initiate pairing from the car;
    2) Respond with passcode from Treo;
    3) The Treo will say you are connected, the car says it is still waiting;
    4) Disregard the car's message;
    5) Select the Handsfree as a Trusted Device in the Treo Bluetooth (very important) 6) Initiate a call from the Treo;
    7) The carís handsfree system will pickup the call and recognize your Treo.

PART 2: DOWNLOADING YOUR PHONEBOOK TO YOUR LEXUS

The Lexus has limited phone book capabilities. It can only handle one name for your contact and one telephone number per contact.

1) Create a new category (or use an existing category that has no contacts in it). I used QUICKLIST. For each entry you need to manually enter a name in the last name field. For example I used ďJohn CellĒ, etc.

2) In the 1st telephone number field enter the phone number. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT NOT USE ANY PUNCTUATION. NO SPACES, ), (, etc. ARE ALLOWED. If you do this your phone book will have garbage in it. The phone number can only be enter the following two ways XXXXXXXXX or XXX-XXX-XXX, ETC.

3) After you have entered all of your contact information you are now ready to download the data into the Lexus phone book. Initiate the phone book transfer from the Lexus.

4) Press the contacts button from your treo. Select the QUICKLIST category filter at the top of Treo screen. From the Treo menu, press the SEND CATEGORY selection.

5) On the next screen select Bluetooth. Press OK

6) On the next screen select BLUETOOTH HANDS FREE

Thatís it. Your phonebook is now downloaded to your Lexus.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you want to add additional contacts later on, follow the above steps but use the send contact choice, not the send category choice. The send category choice overwrites the Lexus phone book. Your lexus will ask you if you want to add to or replace the phonebook. Choose the add to choice. Even if you send the same phone book to the Lexus, your car will overwrite everything. This means that the car will delete your one touch settings. The send contact method avoids that problem.
    how is the sound quality???
  3.    #3  
    It is excellent. I have yet to have someone ask me if I'm using a headset or speakerphone. There are times when I have trouble hearing the person I'm talking to and vice-versa, but I think that it is related to the signal strength, not the Speakerphone in the Lexus.

Getting bluetooth set up correctly was very frustrating, but now that it works properly I am quickly getting spoiled by it.
    What happens when a second call comes in when you are on a call?

My disconnects the first caller?
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
  5.    #5  
    I'm not sure. I've only had the car for a week and I just don't remember what happened when I got the second call.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx
    What happens when a second call comes in when you are on a call?

My disconnects the first caller?
    Cingular 1.17 Firmware update solves all Lexus BT issues.....works PERFECTLY now.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Cingular 1.17 Firmware update solves all Lexus BT issues.....works PERFECTLY now.

well, almost....still have the annoying delay when dialing directly from the phone. The phone doesnt connect untill the connection is complete (you dont hear the ringing) it usually connects immediatly after the party answers with "hello".

I can live with this for now, at least I dont get disconnected anymore when call waiting clicks in!!!
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
  8.    #8  
    I guess you could say that our Treo 650's work good enough....Now that I've been using it I feel like I can't live without it. However, there are enough little things that are annoying but not bad enough to want to make me stop using the Lexus's bluetooth receiver.

Some of the irritations:

lag time when dialing from the Treo directly

Getting phone numbers in the proper format to load into the Lexus phonebook.

Built in restrictions on using the phonebook while driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by climber_rich

Some of the irritations:

1. ag time when dialing from the Treo directly

2. Getting phone numbers in the proper format to load into the Lexus phonebook.

3. Built in restrictions on using the phonebook while driving.
    #2 is easy to work around, simply create new numbers in your quick list cat. They import fine as long as you follow the rules.

#3 is a Lexus thing not 650
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
  10.    #10  
    As I stated before, they are annoyances and yes there are work arounds. However, I have quite a few phone numbers that I would like to transfer to the Lexus and I (the customer) shouldn't have to re-enter all the phone numbers into the proper format in order to use the full capabilitites of carkit bluetooth.

My comments about the driving restrictions are obviously about the Lexus limitations. I was just commenting about how both the automakers and Palm have not made the processs particularly smooth. While not difficult to get around, it is not at all intuitive.

I hate good ideas/technology implemented poorly. That is the current state of bluetooth carkits. That said I still love it in spite of the headaches of getting it working properly.
    Through trial and error, I was happy to see my Cingular Treo 650 pair with my 2006 LEXUS IS250 with touch screen navigation. However, I have noticed the following kinks:

1) Sometimes the (blue) bluetooth icon on my Treo appears in brackets [B] and sometimes it does not. What's the difference?

2) More importantly (and frustrating) : Even though I have signal coverage AND even though the car navigation screen shows that my Treo is connected, the dial pad on the navigation screen remains "greyed out" and can't use it to dial a number; then, with no rhyme or reason, it lights up again, on and off.

Does any one recognize this kink and, if so, is there any way to correct it?
    THanks in advance everyone!
    Martin-
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartinacevedo
    Through trial and error, I was happy to see my Cingular Treo 650 pair with my 2006 LEXUS IS250 with touch screen navigation. However, I have noticed the following kinks:

1) Sometimes the (blue) bluetooth icon on my Treo appears in brackets [B] and sometimes it does not. What's the difference?

2) More importantly (and frustrating) : Even though I have signal coverage AND even though the car navigation screen shows that my Treo is connected, the dial pad on the navigation screen remains "greyed out" and can't use it to dial a number; then, with no rhyme or reason, it lights up again, on and off.

Does any one recognize this kink and, if so, is there any way to correct it?
    THanks in advance everyone!
    Martin-

1. The brackets mean you are linked w/ the Lexus

2. Actually there is a "rhyme or reason"...They are greyed out when you are driving, they are not when you are stopped. Lexus does not allow dialing while the vehicle is in motion.

For a simple work around check out this link:
    http://hybridcars.about.com/od/owner...vigation_2.htm
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    For the information. I should have known better.
    Thank goodness for the internet.

Will go check on that fix..
    Thanks again.
    martin-
  14.    #14  
    1. The brackets mean you are linked w/ the Lexus

2. Actually there is a "rhyme or reason"...They are greyed out when you are driving, they are not when you are stopped. Lexus does not allow dialing while the vehicle is in motion.

For a simple work around check out this link:
    http://hybridcars.about.com/od/owner...vigation_2.htm

VERY COOL!!!!! Great solution to an annoying "safety" feature. Unfortunately, you have to do it each time you start the car. Now if only there was some way to make the override permanent
    Last edited by climber_rich; 12/05/2005 at 10:03 PM.
  15.    #15  
    I'm not sure why, but the override no longer works on my Lexus RX-330. I follow the instructions for the override and everything appears like it is working, but the phonebook and keypad are still grayed out when I am driving.

Aaaagh!
    Thanks CLimberRich these instructions were very helpful. One problem, when I go to send the category it turns off my TREO 650 and does not send the quickist.

I complete the ) Press the contacts button from your treo. ) Select the QUICKLIST category filter at the top of Treo screen. 3From the Treo menu, press the SEND CATEGORY selection. ) On the next screen select Bluetooth. Press OK ) On the next screen select BLUETOOTH HANDS FREE. Then it turns it off.
    Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by climber_rich
    I'm not sure why, but the override no longer works on my Lexus RX-330. I follow the instructions for the override and everything appears like it is working, but the phonebook and keypad are still grayed out when I am driving.

Aaaagh!
    The override only works for entering Nav destinations while moving. There is a way to override the phone lockout, but it involves cutting a wire behind the Nav screen. If you do a Google search for "Zube's wire cutting fix" you should find the link to a poster named zube who has done this mod.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dadcat
    The override only works for entering Nav destinations while moving. There is a way to override the phone lockout, but it involves cutting a wire behind the Nav screen. If you do a Google search for "Zube's wire cutting fix" you should find the link to a poster named zube who has done this mod.
    Thanks!

I'll have to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dadcat
    Just purchased Lexus IS 250. Had already found the way to override the GPS - its a pain since it has to be done each time you start the car, but at least it works. However, still need to override that phone lock out, which clearly is a Lexus issue not a phone issue, but have found no ways to do it. Your suggestion sounded great, but could not locate anything like "Zubes wire cutting fix" through Google or other search. Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I have the Toyota Sienna and it has the same bluetooth as the Lexus. When I first got the car in Decemeber I was able to pair up and use it easily, but in the last week or two, it has been un-connecting or when I go to call it says the phone is not connected. Now I am trying to re-pair everything and am having a devil of a time doing it. Used the instructions from Climber Rich and it paired, but only for 1 call. Got any ideas?

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast