1.    #1  
    Once I turn my new Globalstat BT338 on.... It takes quite a while before the satellite LED begins to "blink" indicating a connection.

Since I live in New York City i have been blaming it on our tall buildings, however, i have gone to open areas- and still it seems to take a few minutes (i turn it on and off a few times). Also, last night, i turned it on, put it on my dashboard and drove down an avenue (wide street that has plenty of sky), and the GPS device never found a satellite.

Is there a particular way to do this? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    K
    See if this sheds any light for you:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=ephemeris

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    I had this happen recently on a BT-338 unit I had purchased in July. The one I bought in July had the new firmware update on it. I also have one I bought beginning of this year that has old firnware.

I compared the two side by side and the older unit acquired the signal lock within 30 to 40 sec where as the new unit just drifted and didn't get a signal lock for like 30 mins. It didn't do that before, but something must has been malfunctioning.

I send an email explaining the problem to Semson where I bought it from, and the good folks at Semson are sending me a replacement unit. I will see how the replacement would perform in a few days.

When I was having this problem of not getting a signal lock, I used to take the battery out completely and waited a few minutes and restart the unit. That seems to help a bit. But eventually nothing works after awhile.
  4.    #4  
    Well, today....

I took my BT-338 out into a tennis court (surrounded by trees and ultimately some tall NYC buildings....) I did not get a lock after standing out in the cold for a few minutes.

The funny thing is that once I got into my office, I put the Globalstat BT-338 by the window, and after about five minutes it picked up 4-5 satelites.

The thread that pheath suggested spoke of warm and cold starts; should I assume that it would be best to go outside, pick up a few satellites, and then go back into the garage to get the car?

Thanks,
    If you have a window at home with a good view, you could try turning on the GPS before you head out. Perhaps you could have a lock before starting the car.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case