1.    #1  
    I have some wmv files about 300,000 KB in size that I want to load on my card, but when I drag the file to the Palm Desktop (or Quick Install) initially Task Manager shows the program as Not Responding. If I leave it for 30+ minutes it finally shows the movie in asf format ready to upload, but when it's uploaded the movie will not play (both TCPMP & Media player) because it doesn't recognize the format. My computer does not recognize the converted format either.

I've converted smaller size movies and it always worked fine.

Is there a size limitation for conversion or ???
    You need to copy media files to the card using a card reader. From everything I understand, you can't hotsync wmv files. Or basically any other audio/video file. use a card reader and copy them to your card. They will be read then.
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy
    I have some wmv files about 300,000 KB in size that I want to load on my card, but when I drag the file to the Palm Desktop (or Quick Install) initially Task Manager shows the program as Not Responding. If I leave it for 30+ minutes it finally shows the movie in asf format ready to upload, but when it's uploaded the movie will not play (both TCPMP & Media player) because it doesn't recognize the format. My computer does not recognize the converted format either.

Sorry, don't know the answer to this one. Like you I have converted smaller files, but it looks like you have hit a size barrier

Sounds like you will need another package to do the conversion for you.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    You need to copy media files to the card using a card reader. From everything I understand, you can't hotsync wmv files. Or basically any other audio/video file. use a card reader and copy them to your card. They will be read then.
    Wrong I'm afraid.

You can hotsync audio/video files to a SD card fitted to a Palm unit.

The problem is that TCMP, and I assume Real Media, can not play WMV format, but the Palm hotsync module will convert them to avi files automatically for you.
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Wrong I'm afraid.

The problem is that TCMP, and I assume Real Media, can not play WMV format, but the Palm hotsync module will convert them to avi files automatically for you.
    I accept that I'm wrong. Just doesn't sound like the way to go. Way too slow.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Wrong I'm afraid.

It seems it (Palm Desktop) converts them to asf format. I've done this in the past with no problems. Maybe I need a different program for converting wmv to asf. Somewhere I read wmv and asf were the same and I just need to change the extension. But that didn't work. Are there any "free" converters for wmv to asf?
    Last edited by slorandy; 11/18/2005 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I accept that I'm wrong. Just doesn't sound like the way to go. Way too slow.
    You're right there way too slow for a big file.

So the answer is to convert the file first to an avi or asf and then use a card reader to move it over, (or PFB to move it over) .
    Thought of the day :
    I am having a similar problem - I cannot get ASF files to play on TCPMP (ver .71). None of the plugins indicate that they support ASF files, but the webpage http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/download says that ASF files are supported (and it seems like members here on this page have gotten it to work).

I have installed the player correctly, as I can play AVI and MPGs. I want to play ASFs because of the compressed file size.

How do I get ASFs to play? There is no error message when I try to play ASFs. THere is simply no sound or audio, but the play timer runs. Weird.

Thanks.
    I'm experiencing the same problem. TCPMP seems very stable, but I can't seem to get *.asf files to play. Is this a Window's copyright issue? If so, can someone link an old codec?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy

I've used Quick Install in the past for uploading wmv that I wanted converted to asf without issue. Now suddenly Quick Install refuses to upload .avi and .wmv files, while it will upload mp4. Size is not an issue, as it's refusing to upload these files large and small. There are a few posts over on the official Palm forums to this same effect. Anyone have any idea?
    Re-install Palm Desktop?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A