Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Given the importance that corporate America places on Blackberries, I am the odd one out in my company for using a Treo. With its multimedia capabilities and a camera, colleagues seem to take the Treo much less seriously than the so-called more focused Blackberry. In short, I feel like I am getting discriminated in the sea of Blackberries. Being a long-time Palm fan, I need to give education sessions about the product all the time before people around me begin to fathom Treo's value. Sometimes, I feel like I am doing Palm's work and being an ambassador. Treo users should unite against Blackberries, instead of complaining about the product all the time. Because, as we all know, a Treo is miles better than the Blackberry (or any other Smartphone) in terms of its capabilities!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xaikar
    Given the importance that corporate America places on Blackberries, I am the odd one out in my company for using a Treo. With its multimedia capabilities and a camera, colleagues seem to take the Treo much less seriously than the so-called more focused Blackberry. In short, I feel like I am getting discriminated in the sea of Blackberries. Being a long-time Palm fan, I need to give education sessions about the product all the time before people around me begin to fathom Treo's value. Sometimes, I feel like I am doing Palm's work and being an ambassador. Treo users should unite against Blackberries, instead of complaining about the product all the time. Because, as we all know, a Treo is miles better than the Blackberry (or any other Smartphone) in terms of its capabilities!
    They are different animals. The Blackberry is built for one purpose and the rest is supplement. If I were a corporate IT manager I would prefer the BB too. No problems with users putting in all kinds of apps, having the phone continuously reboot, etc. etc. The BB does what it does well. You don't need to be an "ambassador." Many of the people in charge know exactly what it does. Given it's also a minority, I'd rather not have to deal with it if I don't need to. yet another area for point of failure and support.

There is no question the Treo is the more flexible and powerful animal. But that's not necessarily what is preferred in the corp. environment. To heck with them.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    The BB does what it does well. You don't need to be an "ambassador."
    The BB does push email well and fits in to the corporate profile from a control standpoint - that's why you don't need to be an ambassador. I can't tell you how many folks I see carrying a BB AND a phone. Can you imagine carrying a Treo AND a BB ? yikes !
    Its weird, I went to a funeral in West Nyack, NY in Sept and I was the only one with a treo, while everyone I know who works in the city had a blackberry cause they are better. Everyone asked what model blackberry I had. I think its a status thing with BB, and the term Blackberry is the common nomanclature for all in one devices because they were the first to hit mainstream use. They are definitely lighter than the treo, but it has no touch screen. If the treo had a wheel built into it I'd be in heaven
    True BB has great push email, but Treo has some good alternatives and then soo much more!

I suppose I can also understand the corporate distribution of BB's for the purpose of simply & reliable email (although the BB mail & Treo email partership will improve this for Treo users).

I've experience Blackberry carriers looking at me a bit funny. After I spend about 90 seconds showing them some of my applications (including TCPMP movies) they stop looking at me funny and start looking at thier Blackberries funny.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    The best blackberry is the one sitting on my desk when I go home for the weekend. From my perspective it is really a non-issue. Who the hell cares what brand leash I happen to have? I find great status in leaving my blackberry behind. It shows that there are overpaid associates worrying about my clients while I am off playing golf. That is why we give them bberies.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Blackberries are inherently simple devices. They do a few things very well, and other things not at all. If the few things it does are all you need from a device, and all the device's users' brains can handle, then it is perfect. I think this describes corporate america. Don't forget, most of corporate america is comprised of all the C-students you knew in High School, and I would say many of them are happily using Blackberries.

Treos are inherently complex, general purpose devices, despite what the sales droids tell you. It takes tweaking and experimentation to get it to do things well. There are lots of software titles that are mediocre, but marketed well, requiring a user to figure out the chaffe from the wheat. And even the best software can interfere with other software, making equipping your treo something of a minefield, but if you're a regular reader here, you already knew that. Yet when set up properly with the right software, it can do much much more than a mere Blackberry. As a result, they are a nightmare for corporate IT departments to deploy and support compared to a Blackberry.

Still, I would probably guess that most Treo users reading this are the A- and B-Students you knew from High School.

At least, that's how I see it. I'll duck now. ;-)

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Your Treo will look much more professional after their Blackberry service gets cut off due to RIMs copyright infringement case
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStallion
    Your Treo will look much more professional after their Blackberry service gets cut off due to RIMs copyright infringement case
    This is very funny, TreoStallion!

But as a business owner, I just deployed 3 Treos in my company with Chatteremail for push-like email to all of the phones and to my surprise the feedback I got from my employees that got the Treos was that "this thing is so friggin' awesome!" "I am able to do more away from the office, while visiting clients", etc. Also, this is coming from non-techy people too. I know the Treo is very professional-looking, cause everywhere I look, from Suits to non-Suits, Treos are showing up everywhere and I get asked about it everyday.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    One of the reasons also that corporate America loves the BlackBerry is that the Rim software used for emails is one of the most secure. The BlackBerry is especially used in Federal Government Corporations. With numerous classified emails being exchanged daily, you wouldn't want to have that fall into the wrong hands. That being said, I opted not to have one, I love my 650 too much! Besides I can always check the secure work emails on my Laptop.
    This will be the opposite once the 700w comes out.
    Blackberry's are the Macintoshes of the p.c. world.. Macintoshes are for people who can't handle (or understand) the real power of a p.c.
    Quote Originally Posted by kengeroo
    Blackberry's are the Macintoshes of the p.c. world.. Macintoshes are for people who can't handle (or understand) the real power of a p.c.
    Not in terms of market share.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman
    Its weird, I went to a funeral in West Nyack, NY in Sept and I was the only one with a treo, while everyone I know who works in the city had a blackberry cause they are better. Everyone asked what model blackberry I had. I think its a status thing with BB, and the term Blackberry is the common nomanclature for all in one devices because they were the first to hit mainstream use. They are definitely lighter than the treo, but it has no touch screen. If the treo had a wheel built into it I'd be in heaven
    Agree, everyone ask me the same "What kind of BB is that" I tell them the better one! I gave up explaining the difference, i show them. They all get blown away, and ask for the specific brand and model. At my old job it was the same, everyone had a BB, I was the only one with a Treo and always felt like I wasnt part of the team. Then came when we all were in the airport and I was watching movies, while the BB team asked me a million and one questions, and ask what other movies did I have.
    So out with BB! In with the Treo!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Wow. I am not going to start a whole "thing" over this comment. I happily use both platforms every day - I am a power user of a PC ( I can even build them) and I prefer the Mac hands down. So I guess I would say people who make comments like that don't understand the real power of a Mac.
  16. BGS
    I guess we can always argue who has a better ..whatever, but this is a simple case of comparing Apples to Oranges...Each format has a plus and a minus....

The freedom of choice is our god given right....They are both great pieces of Technology.

Smile,
    Bruce
    Bruce,
    Treo 600 & 650 / Cingular
    I am the BB admin for my firm but still love my Treo.
    I think it all comes down to personal preference for most people.Some firms mandate blackberries-that is all they will support,so if you leave the fold you are SOL.Others of us have more flexibility in what we decide to use as a communications device.

Personally,I have traveled both roads,and somehow I always remain loyal to Palm devices-even at one point when I carried a blackberry ,also lugging along a Palm device with my years of accumulated programs (some that I had written or had written for me ).

This last week has been a roller coaster with a non working Treo,the sudden need to replace (temporarily) it with a working phone,the purchase of a Life Drive,the use of a friends old 600 after he went to Cingular with the refurbished 650 deal and finally culminated the purchase of a new Treo and sending back of my original Treo purchased earlier in the year. (so once I get the replacement or repaired unit back from Palm I will actually have two Treos )

I briefly considered seriously returning to relianace on a Blackberry-heck could even use the one I am given by the firm(which generally sits on a desk usually collecting dust and is often attended to by a faithful assistant)-but I find I strongly prefer the Treo to manage my communication with one device,whether I am at an economic summit or sailing in the carribbean,or running to a closing on a new property or simply sitting at home staring off into the park or the forest.

Across various endeavors,I have associates,staff and colleagues who use a whole variety of devices,some are tied to having a Blackberry,others are slowly migrating to Treos or other similar smart phone devices.

As for me,I think this week reaffirmed my devotion to working and living with a palm based device.
    So you know UNIX? I think we are talking apples and oranges. And your statement just shows how LITTLE you know of the Mac platform. Learn a few things before your make stupid statements.

d
    The Blackberry isn't more professional than the Treo. The Treo is simply more fun than the Blackberry which goes against the grain in the corporate environment. How dare you have fun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast