Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Hey TomTom gurus...

Got a ? for ya.

I've got a few state maps on the SD card (man, that's so much nicer than loading every county map like the competition requires). Anyway, I've got Maryland, DC & VA. TomTom requires that you select a map to use, so if I select a map, I cannot do directions to VA. I don't get that? How do you go from state to state?

Caveat, I understand that you can go load the major US roads map and that seems to work very well. That being the case, what's the point of the state maps? The major US roads map contains the very small court I live on, as well as other very minor roads. I'm confused.....

Look forward to any thoughts you may have on this subject.

-Michael
    I guess you guys over the duck pond are going to have to answer that one, as I, over in the little ole Uk don't have this problem! & I haven't bothered using the maps of western europe as they really slow down my treo 650 trying to find a route.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott
    Hey TomTom gurus...

Got a ? for ya.

I've got a few state maps on the SD card (man, that's so much nicer than loading every county map like the competition requires). Anyway, I've got Maryland, DC & VA. TomTom requires that you select a map to use, so if I select a map, I cannot do directions to VA. I don't get that? How do you go from state to state?

Caveat, I understand that you can go load the major US roads map and that seems to work very well. That being the case, what's the point of the state maps? The major US roads map contains the very small court I live on, as well as other very minor roads. I'm confused.....

Look forward to any thoughts you may have on this subject.

-Michael
    That's the one bad thing about TomTom. You can't route between maps. You have to select a region or group of maps that has the beginning and end points to create a route.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott
    =Caveat, I understand that you can go load the major US roads map and that seems to work very well. That being the case, what's the point of the state maps? The major US roads map contains the very small court I live on, as well as other very minor roads. I'm confused.....
    Does doing this get you around the NoVA, DC area? I'll be particularly interested in this as i am in the same area.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    when you are installing maps, tom tom gives you choices of installing individual state maps, regions of states grouped together or the "highways/major cities" of the USA map.

if you load individual states together, like michigan and then ohio, you won't be able to route between them because they are individual. but you have a lot of predetermined regional state groupings that let you route betwwen the states. for michigan they have a grouping michigan+ohio+indiana which has all of the same detail of the three individual states in question, but you can route between the states and you can see all the poi on all three states. They even have bigger groupings of states.

you need to reinstall the maps again, but study the different regional combinations and load a regional combination that make the most sense for you.

hope this helps
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    I assume there is a VA/DC/MD map as well?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    I assume there is a VA/DC/MD map as well?
    There are several region maps containing all three VA, DC, & MD. There are even groups as large as Virginia to Maine.
    While we're on the subject, does anyone know how to turn the auto-off feature off in Tom Tom Navigator? Whenever I use Tom Tom on my Sprint T650 it turns off around 5 minutes in- even when the phone is plugged into the car charger. When I turn the phone back on and restart Tom Tom it takes about 10 seconds for it s re-acquire the bluetooth signal and bring the map back up.

Before the new version came out this year my old Tom Tom software would stay on indefinetly.

I know, a little off topic, but the discussion jogged my memory about this problem!
    Folks,

I have never used TomTom, but I have used Mapopolis for the last few years on the 600 and the 650 (early adopter with Y cable and serial GPS).

Mapopolis was always awkward to use, but it worked OK if you were a techie. Recently, they have improved the app significantly, and I believe it now handles all the things you are looking for better than TomTom (which I have never used).

The recent versions of Mapopolis (last 8 months) can dynamically swap maps off of an SD card, and it has gotten a lot better at doing this (last 2 months). Iíve found that it will always work quickly if you put the major roads maps in RAM (1 for each state, small memory needed), and then point it at a directory on the SD card where it can load the detail endpoints. I have done this between 5 states before and it works and can dynamically swap and re route using the SD card when only the major roads maps are in RAM.

Mapopolis still does not support the 5 Way Nav-Bar on either Treo, so it could get better. I think TomTom is a much larger company.

GPS is a KILLER APP for your Treo if you get it working (especially if your ride a motorcycle).

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    While we're on the subject, does anyone know how to turn the auto-off feature off in Tom Tom Navigator? Whenever I use Tom Tom on my Sprint T650 it turns off around 5 minutes in- even when the phone is plugged into the car charger. When I turn the phone back on and restart Tom Tom it takes about 10 seconds for it s re-acquire the bluetooth signal and bring the map back up.
    I believe this is one on the issues that version 5.12 for PalmOS was supposed to fix. Tomtom came out with the update a few months after Navigator 5 was released. When I enter Tomtom, the Treo stays on until I press home to exit. Try searching some of the older Tomtom posts for more info on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I believe this is one on the issues that version 5.12 for PalmOS was supposed to fix. Tomtom came out with the update a few months after Navigator 5 was released. When I enter Tomtom, the Treo stays on until I press home to exit. Try searching some of the older Tomtom posts for more info on this.
    I resolved all my Treo 650 issues with Tom Tom by doing a zero out reset. since then it has been fine.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I'm probably going to get the TomTom for my treo 650 but I had one question. How loud is it? I'm assuming the sound comes from the speaker on the back of the phone.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    I'm probably going to get the TomTom for my treo 650 but I had one question. How loud is it? I'm assuming the sound comes from the speaker on the back of the phone.
    I took mine for its first test ride last night. Even with the car's FM radio on low volume, I never had a problem hearing the voice coming from the Treo's speaker.

FWIW, I bought a bundled package that included the Holux GPSlim236 and a windshield mount that has its own speaker and volume control. The mount can also provide power to both the GPS receiver and the Treo. There are a few cables to deal with, but I think I bought the perfect solution for my needs. I'll be trying out the entire setup this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Mapopolis was always awkward to use, but it worked OK if you were a techie. Recently, they have improved the app significantly, and I believe it now handles all the things you are looking for better than TomTom (which I have never used).
    No offense, but it kills me when people make claims they have no way of truly evaluating. Extra credit though for at least admitting that!

I HAVE used both Mapopolis and TomTom. While the discussion is endless, and the debate will never cease, IMHO there is no comparison and TomTom is the CLEAR winner.

The map display (especially on the Treo 650!) is WAY better on TomTom. Also, the 3-D navigation on Mapopolis is a joke (and if you think that isn't important it's only because you haven't seen it on TomTom).

The Navigation feature is light-years beyond Mapopolis. Add five-way support, a voice you can actually understand, not having to worry about counties, not having to worry about directory structures on my SD card, and I can still go on!

Oh well, YMMV I guess

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint

Before the new version came out this year my old Tom Tom software would stay on indefinetly.

I know, a little off topic, but the discussion jogged my memory about this problem!
    Have you figured out this issue? I'm having the same problem.
    I have installed version 5.12 for PalmOS (but don't know where to look in app to verify the version#) and I tried searching some posts but can't seem to find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by joesdeli
    Have you figured out this issue? I'm having the same problem.
    I have installed version 5.12 for PalmOS (but don't know where to look in app to verify the version#) and I tried searching some posts but can't seem to find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
    Nope. Nothing yet. I'm running v5.12. I found this by pressing my Home button, then going ot the menu and selecting Info from the left menu. I then selected Version at the bottom and looked to see what Navigator version I had. It was v.5.12.5200.

Oddly, when I plan a route in TomTom it says I'm on v5.00.

I've read where others have done a compete reinstall and had varying levels of luck with it. But installing Tom Tom is a complete pain in the ****. I'd rather live with the occasional screen going off than trying to get it to reinstall again!
    Nope. Nothing yet. I'm running v5.12. I found this by pressing my Home button, then going ot the menu and selecting Info from the left menu. I then selected Version at the bottom and looked to see what Navigator version I had. It was v.5.12.5200.

I initially had this problem after the upgrade. Turns out I was launching an older version because the updater put it in a different location (SD or internal, I'm not sure which). Anyway, I cleaned up the extra start files and it began reporting 5.12 from within TT. I now have the start file internally and have no problem with the auto shutoff. It just doesn't happen when TT is running....By the way, you can access the version in TT through the 3rd or 4th preference menu.
    I just had a road trip to Chicago. There is no single map that covers both New York and Chicago. So I use the major roadmap for most of the driving, and switch to the "midwest" map when I got there.

Now that I think about it, using the "major roadmap" and the "major US cities map"(200MB) should be good enough for 90% of the GPS users.

I've read where others have done a compete reinstall and had varying levels of luck with it. But installing Tom Tom is a complete pain in the ****. I'd rather live with the occasional screen going off than trying to get it to reinstall again!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I initially had this problem after the upgrade. Turns out I was launching an older version because the updater put it in a different location (SD or internal, I'm not sure which). Anyway, I cleaned up the extra start files and it began reporting 5.12 from within TT. I now have the start file internally and have no problem with the auto shutoff. It just doesn't happen when TT is running....By the way, you can access the version in TT through the 3rd or 4th preference menu.
    I'm in the same boat as jasondeno, Palm OS says I have v.5.12.5200 but within the app it shows v5.00. I can't find the version in TT via the preference menu?!? I get to it when I tap the lower right portion of screen (where time and gps signal is displayed).

I also did notice an older version of start.prc on my SD card but I deleted that file and still having the same auto shut off problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by joesdeli
    I can't find the version in TT via the preference menu?!?
    On my ver 5.12, it is on the 5th preferences submenu (5 of 5) along with show tips, change voice, switch language & reset factory settings.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 11/27/2005 at 07:17 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast