1.    #1  
    Right now, I have my 2 GB SD card loaded down with WMAs. I'm just wondering, is there a music format that will have equal or better sound quality with overall smaller file size? I'm using pTunes.

Thanks, guys.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Here's a rough quality breakdown:

Format Quality
    -----------------------
    WAV / 1400kbps 10
    MP3 / 128kbps 10
    RA / 96kbps 9
    ASF / 128kbps 9
    VQF / 80kbps 8

ASF / 64kbps 7

ASF / 32kbps 6
    RA / 45kbps 5
    VQF / 40kbps 4
    RA / 34kbps 4
    MP3 / 32kbps 3

ASF / 20kbps 4
    MP3 / 22kbps 2
    RA / 21kbps 1
  3.    #3  
    If I'm reading that right, I guess that means I should switch to mp3s. If I do that, I lose the excellent song listings that I get with WMAs (Listing songs in order that they appear on an album).

I'm torn.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Sorry, I never use wma song listings, so I can't help you there.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    A lot of this people on this board including me use vorbis (.ogg). It sounds pretty darn good with small file sizes. Certainly better than .mp3s at the same file size. I've never used wma so I can't compare to that.

If you do a search for ogg you'll see a lot of talk about it and various opnions on what the right sample rate is.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I always used to use Oggs, but when I got a media center the GUI didn't recognize it, so I started always using high quality MP3s. I then use windows media player to load a few hundred onto my SD card, with media player set to downgrad the bitrate. It automatically converts them to WMA files that seem smaller than Oggs, or at least about equal in size. I'm no audiophile, but they sound just as good as my old Oggs did.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Here's a rough quality breakdown:

Format Quality
    -----------------------
    WAV / 1400kbps 10
    MP3 / 128kbps 10
    You're not seriously equating a compressed lossy mp3 to a wav file are you?

If you can't hear the difference, that's fine, but they're not equal quality.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."