Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51
  1.    #1  
    When I first thought about getting SD cards, I did some research on the technology, and I remember reading somewhere that theoretically the largest capacity that a SD card could have was 8GB. Can anyone confirm if the Treo 650 will be able to handle this card once it is made? If not, can you post the largest SD capacity card you have been able to find and make work with the Treo 650?

    Btw, I am patiently waiting for my newly purchased Treo 650 to ship, so I am planning out what accessories ( like memory ) I should buy for it first.

    Thanks in advance,


    ~Fortezza
  2. #2  
    There are many many threads on this, so let me be the first to tell you to do a search. Then there will be others who will tell you to post in the correct forum (accessories).

    I'm not one of those people. I'll just give you the answer. . .

    . . . 2GB is the largest without doing major hacking.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

    If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  3. #3  
    2g is the limit with or without hacking. There is no way to use the 4g card.
  4. #4  
    That's not true. There is a way to change the file system and you can use lagrer cards. There are threads around showing how, but it is an easy way to destroy your treo. 2GB should be more than enough anyway.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

    If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  5. #5  
    I think those threads talk about some methods, but none of them was proven to work on the Treo.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  6.    #6  
    Darn. I was looking at replacing my 20GB media player. Still, 2Gb isn't too bad. I wonder if the limitation is electrical ( the hardware in the Treo simply cannot address all of the memory in the SD card ), or if it is a sofware, whether the file system, storage driver, or some other software subsystem on the Treo cannot access more than 2GB of storage.

    Thank you for the heads up. I am fairly new here, and I took "Treo Hardware" to mean "any hardware that can be associated ( used ) with the Treo" . In fact, it is the only forum I searched before posting my question.

    I'll browse around the forums a bit more to get familiar with them.
  7. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #7  
    What are you trying to access on your card that 2GB isn't enough to handle?

    In short, you can get 4GB SD cards to work on your Treo 650 in the same manner that you can get the WiFi SD card to work as well.
  8. #8  
    First let me just say that 2gig is "not" enough, I thought 1 gig was going to be good, within a week I had 10 megs free on it. And how many times have patches been released from MS because they thought that what they did would be enough( maybe the windows 98 limitation on memory?) or motherboards not being able acccess more that 8 gig HDD's?? I would love a 20 gig SD card, I would have every program picture and song could think of on it, not to mention encyclopedias. And without doing a bunch of searching, I remember one person saying that the controller for the cards was inside the card not the device, this would enable use of larger card regardless of what the device was.
  9. #9  
    Um..two words that come to mind that would limit that ability to handle 4gb or more....FAT16.. file system..would need a FAT32 version to facillitate that wish..not likely on the 65O.
  10. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnic
    First let me just say that 2gig is "not" enough, I thought 1 gig was going to be good, within a week I had 10 megs free on it. And how many times have patches been released from MS because they thought that what they did would be enough( maybe the windows 98 limitation on memory?) or motherboards not being able acccess more that 8 gig HDD's?? I would love a 20 gig SD card, I would have every program picture and song could think of on it, not to mention encyclopedias. And without doing a bunch of searching, I remember one person saying that the controller for the cards was inside the card not the device, this would enable use of larger card regardless of what the device was.
    And your Treo would crawl since the processor would need to handle that amount of storage.

    I'd like a 500 terabyte SD card. I'd be able to store all my CDs as wav files.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    And your Treo would crawl since the processor would need to handle that amount of storage.

    I'd like a 500 terabyte SD card. I'd be able to store all my CDs as wav files.

    Be realistic, 4g-5g is about perfect for the Treo. There is not point to store video on it because the small screen make Treo a bad video player. However you need decent amount for mp3.

    I have a 70g+ music library and used to own a 10g iPod. My experience is 5g is about perfect for portable music. Anything bigger you start forgetting what you have in the player.
  12. #12  
    Yes it is nice to carry around everything you own, but in truth I find that I never really use more than 1GB or so of it - so 2GB works fine for me. I used an ipod for a long time and it keeps track of the last time you listened to a track. I found that when I sorted by that column and selected those tracks I listened to in the past 6 mos, it was only about 1.6 GB of music. It was funny to learn that I'm really not listening to the other 20 or so GB of music in my library.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

    If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Be realistic, 4g-5g is about perfect for the Treo. There is not point to store video on it because the small screen make Treo a bad video player. However you need decent amount for mp3.

    I have a 70g+ music library and used to own a 10g iPod. My experience is 5g is about perfect for portable music. Anything bigger you start forgetting what you have in the player.
    Well, for some people may let their Treo double as a portable hard drive if it is large enough. I use my 20GB Archos that way sometimes, as it can carry any file you want ( within reason ).


    I absolutely agree on the possibility of having too many files. My car Mp3 player that I got back in 2000 holds 40GB of files, and I have never put more than 20GB on it. Even with playlists, that is a lot of music to browse through. Lol.

    ~Fortezza
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600kings
    Um..two words that come to mind that would limit that ability to handle 4gb or more....FAT16.. file system..would need a FAT32 version to facillitate that wish..not likely on the 65O.

    Then how does a Palm Lifedrive read 4gb microdrives ??????

    Palm OS can do it, i.e. Lifedrive.

    I heard it's just a matter of getting the FAT32 driver working on the Treo.

    Maybe in the next firmware upgrade ??????

    P.S. If you absolutely love music (like I do), then 2gb is definetly not enough.
  15. treoluv's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roobuls
    Then how does a Palm Lifedrive read 4gb microdrives ??????

    Palm OS can do it, i.e. Lifedrive.

    I heard it's just a matter of getting the FAT32 driver working on the Treo.

    Maybe in the next firmware upgrade ??????

    P.S. If you absolutely love music (like I do), then 2gb is definetly not enough.
    Don't think of 4 GB of microdrive in LifeDrive, it is darn suck, especially if you use LifeDrive to listen to music while working on the other application. It stop plays music for a second to load then play, then stop whenever you do somethings. If you're a music lover, stay away from LifeDrive or the ideal of microdrives in the way Palm puts it in LifeDrive.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Be realistic, 4g-5g is about perfect for the Treo. There is not point to store video on it because the small screen make Treo a bad video player.
    I thought the exact same thing....... until i tried it. Its pretty freaking cool to be honest, and the screen size isnt really an issue. I stock up on Family Guy and South Park episodes then whenever im stuck on the metro, waiting in line, etc I can just load up some TV. The only thing is remembering to have a wired earpiece or set of headphones with you.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  17. #17  
    If you want 4GB to work with a hack, buy 2 x 2GB cards
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    I thought the exact same thing....... until i tried it. Its pretty freaking cool to be honest, and the screen size isnt really an issue. I stock up on Family Guy and South Park episodes then whenever im stuck on the metro, waiting in line, etc I can just load up some TV. The only thing is remembering to have a wired earpiece or set of headphones with you.

    I was the opposite. The main draw of Treo before I brought it was instant message anytime and portable video. I never did install any IM program. For videos, I converted tons of movies and tv shows, movies looked like crap on it, so I decided to play music video only. But that affair last 2 weeks and I promptly deleted all videos.

    I have access to internet from home and work, so I only play with the Treo when I am out. And it's very pointless to watch video when you are driving. I guess portable TV would be alittle bit better but I don't have mobitv. However pTunes is a great program. I sold my iPod quickly.

    I just ordered a 2gb card for music and TomTom.
  19. #19  
    if you love music that much, buy and ipod
  20. #20  
    I have found video to be great on the 650 with use of pocket DVD studio, and I keep multiple tv shows on my unit. My one gig card is full and I am ordering a 2gb card now. With the price of cards lager than 2gb, I would not get one yet anyway.
    Palm Pro < Palm III < Palm IIIx < Palm IIIe < Palm VII < Handspring Visor < Sony PEG s320 < Kyocera 6035 < Samsung i300 < Palm TC < Sprint 650 < LifeDrive < Sprint Treo 700p < Sprint Treo 755p < Sprint Centro
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions