Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Be realistic, 4g-5g is about perfect for the Treo. There is not point to store video on it because the small screen make Treo a bad video player. However you need decent amount for mp3.

I have a 70g+ music library and used to own a 10g iPod. My experience is 5g is about perfect for portable music. Anything bigger you start forgetting what you have in the player.
    Last I remember, the Treo 650 was designed to be a PDA-phone and not an MP3 player. In the latter, all processes can be dedicated to doing just that task and not need to keep track of other things. There are many factors here although this could be a technical requirement atm besides any potential speed hit.
    Is there a "switchable" 4G SD card? I've seen memory sticks that advertise as 2GB, for example, but they're really two 1GB cards in the same stick. You have to power down the device before you can switch to another bank, because it's basically like changing cards. The advantage would be at least not having to carry or keep up with a 2nd card.

I did a google and see descriptions of potential sd cards in the summaries, but when I click the link I go to online-retail-linkathon hell that never describes or has pictures.

Just got my treo650 and looking for memory card. Do these exist for SD cards?
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    And your Treo would crawl since the processor would need to handle that amount of storage.

I'd like a 500 terabyte SD card. I'd be able to store all my CDs as wav files.

HUH? How the heck would larger SD capacity affect proc performance? There is no connection there...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    Don't think of 4 GB of microdrive in LifeDrive, it is darn suck, especially if you use LifeDrive to listen to music while working on the other application. It stop plays music for a second to load then play, then stop whenever you do somethings. If you're a music lover, stay away from LifeDrive or the ideal of microdrives in the way Palm puts it in LifeDrive.

The performance issues of the LD should be fixed when Palm finally releases the rom update for the device hopefully by the end of this year fyi. Thus I would tell prospective LD owners to not give up on that device just yet...

Also, just to clarify...if ya'll didn't know, the Palm TX DOES SUPPORT FAT32 and thus can support 4GB SD cards!! The Tx fyi also uses the same proc as on the Treo 650. Thus it is totally feasible that Palm could, if they wanted to, release a rom update to enable Fat32 file sys on the 650 to enable the use of larger cards...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Be realistic, 4g-5g is about perfect for the Treo. There is not point to store video on it because the small screen make Treo a bad video player. However you need decent amount for mp3.

I have a 70g+ music library and used to own a 10g iPod. My experience is 5g is about perfect for portable music. Anything bigger you start forgetting what you have in the player.

I couldnt disagree with this more.
    I have a 4gb card now and cant WAIT till the 8GB card comes out later this year.
    Right now I have all 9 seasons of southpark with plenty of
    room to spare. and they look GREAT when I watch them.
    -tgwaste
    Yes you can with a custom ROM. Do a search to find out how. FAT32 is the answer.
    the answer to what?
    -tgwaste
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    My 4G 150x SD card has been great (with FAT32 in ROM), and very close to "not enough" Between several TV shows, a few movies, some document storage, pics, and a decent amount of MP3s, I've got about 200M free. As the bigger ones come out, I'll be more than happy to upgrade...
    Last edited by bananachunks; 03/28/2006 at 11:26 AM. Reason: change 105x to 150x - thanks tgwaste
    damn straight!.. the next thing im loading on my card is Bionic Six (remember that show!?)

p.s. you mean 150x
    -tgwaste
    And their price is coming down...I just ordered one today for $109.99 after a $30.00 mail-in rebate. Free shipping. Can't wait to load it up!

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...0&postcount=71

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...2&postcount=72
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I didn't have time to read all the replies, so it might have been said already but I knew somebody who got a 2gb (sorry forget what company made it) and it didn't work. Rather, it worked, but horrifically slowly.

Pulsar
    well that was... informative..
    -tgwaste
    Can't wait for the 8gb either.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5014

I'll be using it in my 700p when that comes out.
    I have a 4gb adata 150x, $109 with free shipping from zipzoomfly.com and that's without having to do any rebate. The limit on memory comes from the addressing system (file allocation table) FAT, so the fatfs has a really low limit of 2gb, the fat16 is either6gb or 10gb ( can't remember which ), and fat32 is what is used on a regular pc with a 250gb hard drive. The fat32 can handle 250gb, at least, so I don't see the 8gb card being an issue.

The current rom modification needed to make the 4gb work is SOOOOOOO easy to do with the romtool. There is very little chance of bricking your phone with the rom tool so long as you follow directions. Make a backup, delete JUST the fatfs file and copy over the fat32. It's when you start messing with the other stuff that you can get into trouble when you don't know what your doing. It would be best if the next update would include the fat32 file instead of the fatfs, they will eventually have to do something or they will be passed up by compeditors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt
    the fat16 is either6gb or 10gb ( can't remember which ), and fat32 is what is used on a regular pc with a 250gb hard drive. The fat32 can handle 250gb, at least, so I don't see the 8gb card being an issue.
    FAT 16 limit is 2 GB
    FAT 32 limit is 2 TB (tho you can "jury rig" it w/ WinME up to 8 TB.

Win2k and XP can only format FAT32 up to 32 GB tho.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314463
    Then how does a standard 80gb use the fat32? my factory HD was setup and worked just fine, and now my 250gb replacement works fine as well. I didn't think fat16 was that low of a limit but it's been a while since I delt with it.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I thought there was something about the SD spec that limited it to 4gb. There's a new SD spec that supports larger cards, but the Treo's hardware doesn't support the new SD spec? I didn't think this was FAT related.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    im so confused and (lazy to search)

So with applying the fat 32 patch I can use any sd card? yes/no
    without it the max is 2gb? yes/no
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

some brands of sd cards seem to be less reliable than others, but all that I have seen says the adata is just fine, and it's what I have. without the fat32 your limit is 2gb, you can stick in a 4gb but it will only recognize 2gb of it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast