Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    The new G4850M Car Kit from Seidio is the answer for my needs. It has successfully addressed the inadequate built-in speaker volume of it's predecessor, the G2500. I was disappointed with the G2500 and don't recommend it.

The new G4850 has done away with one of the wires extending from the unit thanks to the built in and upgraded GPS unit. Speaking of GPS, it connects considerably more quickly than the G2500 unit.

It installs easily and works just as advertised. Nice form factor and shade lighter in color from the old unit. Construction is sturdy and it appears that all mounting equipment is the same as the 2500. It takes a good squeeze to dock the unit. Once it snaps in place it there and sturdy - perhaps a little too sturdy. It's more difficult to remove than the 2500. It may loosen a bit after I break it in. Jury's out.

The dash mount bracket is flimsy and inadequate. The gooseneck with window suction cup is ideal for me. I coiled mine up and mounted next to the rear view mirror. Works perfect.

I use the mapopolis software which connected without issue.

The two "disappointing" issues are
    1. The phone snaps in to the cradle so secure that it's difficult to undock
    2. No built in microphone. I would have loved to reduced the "tentacles" by two instead of one.

Future suggestions would be
    1. Built in microphone
    2. Available portable power source to take the GPS with you on foot.

If you like need an all in one option, this is a good one.
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by jnjewlz
    The new G4850M Car Kit from Seidio is the answer for my needs. It has successfully addressed the inadequate built-in speaker volume of it's predecessor, the G2500. I was disappointed with the G2500 and don't recommend it.

The new G4850 has done away with one of the wires extending from the unit thanks to the built in and upgraded GPS unit. Speaking of GPS, it connects considerably more quickly than the G2500 unit.

It installs easily and works just as advertised. Nice form factor and shade lighter in color from the old unit. Construction is sturdy and it appears that all mounting equipment is the same as the 2500. It takes a good squeeze to dock the unit. Once it snaps in place it there and sturdy - perhaps a little too sturdy. It's more difficult to remove than the 2500. It may loosen a bit after I break it in. Jury's out.

The dash mount bracket is flimsy and inadequate. The gooseneck with window suction cup is ideal for me. I coiled mine up and mounted next to the rear view mirror. Works perfect.

I use the mapopolis software which connected without issue.

The two "disappointing" issues are
    1. The phone snaps in to the cradle so secure that it's difficult to undock
    2. No built in microphone. I would have loved to reduced the "tentacles" by two instead of one.

Future suggestions would be
    1. Built in microphone
    2. Available portable power source to take the GPS with you on foot.

If you like need an all in one option, this is a good one.
    Thanks for the review.

for the built in microphone, will that cause the severe echo problem since the microphone and speaker are so close ?
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I've used it all day and there have been no echo problems.

Also, I guess I've "broken in" in the docking station. It's still a little difficult to "undock" but not worth negatively noting.
    I've used it all day and there have been no echo problems.

Also, I guess I've "broken in" in the docking station. It's still a little difficult to "undock" but not worth negatively noting.
    Can you comment on

1) GPS performance and reception, Is SiRF III any better ?
    2) Audio quality- both phone conversation and audible directions ?
    3) Extrenal microphone quality ?
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KBKB
    Can you comment on

3) Extrenal microphone quality ?

- In a word, yes. I cuts initial connection time by about 30%
    - Conversation clarity is satisfactory for a speaker phone. Headphone is good. Audible directions are clear (again, I'm using Mapopolis) and very loud!
    3) Extrenal microphone quality?
    - it is quite good also. I left myself messages on my work phone speaking softly, normally and shouting. People I am speaking to have no complaints.
    cool...I've got a 4850 coming (should have it on Friday) and it sounds like it makes some good improvements on the G2500. I already have a B/T Sirf III (yes much better than previous generations) but I'm still looking forward to using the built in GPS since I wont have to hassle with a) Remembering to Powerup the GPS b) The wires c) keeping it charged d) having to get B/T sync

Jnjewlz,

What do you mean when you say "Headphone is good"?

thanks
    Steve
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Sorry. I should have said the hands-free wired headset has good clarity and mic reception.
    Got it in today and working on a review. Haven't played with the speakerphone but the GPS is top-notch, especially when using TT. Just used it for the drive home and it was very accurate and kept its signal strength maxed 95% of the time, losing only a bar at most and never losing all satellites. Voice commands were strong and clearly heard over my radio's volume. So far it's a winner.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    Got it in today and working on a review. Haven't played with the speakerphone but the GPS is top-notch, especially when using TT. Just used it for the drive home and it was very accurate and kept its signal strength maxed 95% of the time, losing only a bar at most and never losing all satellites. Voice commands were strong and clearly heard over my radio's volume. So far it's a winner.
    I got mine today also and agree...In some quick testing the Built in GPS was matching or exceeding the external B/T GPS I was using (which is the top rated BT-338, also w/Sirf III) and TomTom locked right up on it. The speaker and Mic are also much improved over the G2500. Fit/Finish seem good. I'll post some more later after I have some more miles on it.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Anybody tried it with egrips on their Treo yet? Is the cradle too tight a fit for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Anybody tried it with egrips on their Treo yet? Is the cradle too tight a fit for that?
    I'll caveat this by saying I dont have an egrips...but I did just look at how the cradle fits and I'll hazard a guess that it will not fit out of the box but..

If you look at this picture

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=157

The bottom ~1" of the cradle is a pretty snug fit, roughly to the top of the keyboard (and I doubt you can squeeze it in their with an egrips on...again I'm not sure how thick the egrips is)...but if you cut off the bottom of the egrips, (so it started roughly at the height of the top of the keyboard) then I think it will fit. That black pad on the top/back of the cradle is just glued on, so you would probably take that off (It looks to be a cushion between between the top half of the cradle and the back of the treo, but if you have an egrips you've got a built in cushion anyway?). At least the way I hold the treo in my hand, I dont think removing that bottom part of the egrip would matter?

make sense?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I'm not sure how thick the egrips is
    Very thin indeed.

make sense?
    Complete sense, DD.

For me, the back of the battery case is the critical part of the egrips (stops the Treo slipping out of shirt pockets etc) and a little trimming might not go amiss.

Cheers.
    I'm glad to see all the good reviews from the 4850 GPS cradle. I have to say I have had some problems with Siedio themselves. I ordered mine back on the 6th and just got it friday. The first time they sent it out it mysteriously got returned in the middle of shipping. Fed ex said it was them and gave the name of who requested to be returned and Diedio said it was Fed Ex. Once I got that mess taken care of they sent the package back out and it arrived without any problem on Friday. That was until I opened it.

I was missing half of the kit. I got the cradle and the window mount and the TT 5.1, that was it. No power cord, or mounting plate, or swivel mount or vent mount. That will hopefully show up this week. I also ordered the FM transmitter. They sent the wrong USB charging cord to use from the craddle to the transmitter hopefully they send the right one this time. Once I get it all and actually use it, I will hopefully have a good review as well.

By the way any problem with the GPS working and not keeping the unit as close to the windshield. I'd really hate to have at a full arms reach away and try to use it.
    Last edited by tmorris71; 11/20/2005 at 01:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorris71
    I'm glad to see all the good reviews from the 4850 GPS cradle. I have to say I have had some problems with Siedio themselves. I ordered mine back on the 6th and just got it friday. The first time they sent it out it mysteriously got returned in the middle of shipping. Fed ex said it was them and gave the name of who requested to be returned and Diedio said it was Fed Ex. Once I got that mess taken care of they sent the package back out and it arrived without any problem on Friday. That was until I opened it.

I was missing half of the kit. I got the cradle and the window mount and the TT 5.1, that was it. No power cord, or mounting plate, or swivel mount or vent mount. That will hopefully show up this week. I also ordered the FM transmitter. They sent the wrong USB charging cord to use from the craddle to the transmitter hopefully they send the right one this time. Once I get it all and actually use it, I will hopefully have a good review as well.

By the way any problem with the GPS working and not keeping the unit as close to the windshield. I'd really hate to have at a full arms reach away and try to use it.
    \

Sorry about this problem, I will check into it and make it right.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorris71
    tmorris,
    The GPS receiver they stuck in there is really nice. I've got mine on a proclip mount down near the bottom of my center console and it locks up just fine.
    Davisdog,

Thanks for info. I am extremely glad to hear it. That really was a concern for me. I can't wait to try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    \

Sorry about this problem, I will check into it and make it right.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    Thank you very much Dave at Seidio. I really appreciate your help with this. I am very excited about the product. It came out when I was really starting to be wary of getting a gps for the treo. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Hey folks. Still diggin mine. Very happy. I've been able to continue to navigate between points answer calls and it returns back to navigation between two points. I've set mapopolis to automatically turn on GPS when when Mapopolis is launched. At times it gives me a cannot start GPS error, but it lets me into the program and I am able to manually start it.

Anyone know the difference between Mapopolis and TomTom as a navigation software?
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    I got mine today also and agree...In some quick testing the Built in GPS was matching or exceeding the external B/T GPS I was using (which is the top rated BT-338, also w/Sirf III) and TomTom locked right up on it. The speaker and Mic are also much improved over the G2500. Fit/Finish seem good. I'll post some more later after I have some more miles on it.
    HI Davisdog,

All Seidio integrated GPS cradles (G4850 and G2350) use the latest SiRFSTAR III GPS technology. The firmware is also the most updated one. It has a very high sensitivity and reliability.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.coma
    Anyone know the difference between Mapopolis and TomTom as a navigation software?
    I played with mapopolis before I bought TomTom (a while back). I liked the TT user interface and 3D Navigation display better so I went that route. They are both decent software packages and people have different options (based on the forums I've looked at I think more Treo users go with TT)

ps...I dont remember how you "started" the GPS in Mapopolis, but in TT you just leave it configured for 'Other Cable NMEA GPS' and it locks up with the G4850 receiver as soon as you slap the Treo in the cradle and fire up TT (since the G4850 GPS is active whenever the power is on).
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast