Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Can anyone reccomend a good FM Transmitter to use with the Seido cradle or a soultion for making the Seido one less bulky?

The Seido transmitter is large in and of itself, but when you add the retractable audio cord with adapter and the ac adapter, it looks like a bomb went off near your cradle...

Unfortunately a PIE adapter is not available for my model vehicle so I'm stuck with a transmitter, so does anyone know of either a SMALLER transmitter or a solution for this Seido bulky one?

-Bradley
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treomonkey
    Can anyone reccomend a good FM Transmitter to use with the Seido cradle or a soultion for making the Seido one less bulky?
    The iRock! BeamIt 450 is the size of a lipstick and takes one AAA battery and can broadcast to any frequency on the FM band. Check out www.myirock.com

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorris71
    I have been having the same problem with my 4850. A lot of time I have to restart TT to get it to work. It seems to mostly happen when I stop using the GPS for a short period of time (ie when I stop at a rest area on a long trip) I do live in the north east and I leave my cradle in the car and I always blamed it on the cold weather.
    I ma finding that if I been carrying my Treo all day or afew days on my person and then I pop it in the cradle, after 30-60 minutes it starts blinking in and out of GPS coverage with screen going from color to b&w and with arrow representing me soemtimes going asckew to road direction.

A soft reset "seems" to solve the problem but I am unsure due to my limited experience. I mean it seems to work but half the times when I have experienced this its been under weird conditions ....such as "on ferry", in heavy fog (so heavy that I used screen to let me know which way road was bending up ahead as you couldn't see that far) and in mountainous areas (in valleys between steep mountians).

Thinking of adding icon for soft reset ....now I just hit menu button, load uninstall amanage, force soft reset thru drop down, hit phone button, hit quick launch for TT on phone screen. This saves removing from cradle and doing remove battery cover / stylus thing but still is a bit too many steps while driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I ma finding that if I been carrying my Treo all day or afew days on my person and then I pop it in the cradle, after 30-60 minutes it starts blinking in and out of GPS coverage with screen going from color to b&w and with arrow representing me soemtimes going asckew to road direction.

A soft reset "seems" to solve the problem but I am unsure due to my limited experience. I mean it seems to work but half the times when I have experienced this its been under weird conditions ....such as "on ferry", in heavy fog (so heavy that I used screen to let me know which way road was bending up ahead as you couldn't see that far) and in mountainous areas (in valleys between steep mountians).

Thinking of adding icon for soft reset ....now I just hit menu button, load uninstall amanage, force soft reset thru drop down, hit phone button, hit quick launch for TT on phone screen. This saves removing from cradle and doing remove battery cover / stylus thing but still is a bit too many steps while driving.
    Sounds to me like a gps hardware issue. I had problems with my Holux GR-213 sifstar 111 chip wired receiver not dissimilar to what you mention.

Holux have redesigned the firmware as far as I'm aware & replaced my receiver FOC and the replacement is fantastic.

I went for a Seidio G2100s & separate wired receiver in case I had a problem with a combo. I used it for 10 months now & I managed to make my cradle go up in smoke yesterday, so I've just ordered the replacement model -G2200s. When hard wiring to the car make sure you use the correct polarity and socket. I was doing it in our mild (1 degree C) weather in the UK & my brain was not functioning!
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    From the 4850 documentation, it seems that a wired headset plugged into the audio out should work for both talking (mic) and listening (speaker). When I plug in my plantronics headset (which works great when plugged into the Treo), the mic doesn't get picked up, and I only hear the audio if the Treo is switched from vibrate to 'out load' mode using the top switch.
    Has anyone else gotten their wired headsets to work fully using the audio out port? Is the included seidio earbud headset special? Why would they include an earbud headset with microphone, and describe the external mic as optional if a standard headset won't work?
    I have owned my G4850M cradle since November and it has been working pretty well, with some minor issues of GPS loss. Now I am having a problem with the power cord staying connected to the cradle. The power cord has to be in a specific position when connected to the cradle in order to get power. If the cord moves or I hit a bump I lose power. Or even if I try to mount it in a different spot in the car it wont hold a power connnection. It feels like the input for power at the cradle is loose because the slightest movement and I lose power. Anyway, I asked for an RMA kit from Seidio and I recived a call from Kalvin at Seidio who told me to trim the little plastic piece from the power cord to make it longer and sit better in the cradle. I tried it and didn't work. So now I am going to recontact Seidio for an RMA kit. Has anyone had this problem or heard of trimming the plastic end of the charger to resolve this type of issue?

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    Sounds to me like a gps hardware issue.
    It seems mor software to me....as it simulates typical Windows symptoms. I am finding I get problem-less use of the system if I:

1. Plug ciggie lighter plug in fpr cradle.
    2. Place Treo in cradle.
    3. Do soft reset
    4. Start TomTom.

I don't do step 3 unles staking a long trip. My thinking is thet TT wants all of dbcache that it can grab and tho it may flush its own stuff, it won't leftovers from other programs. On those few long trios, it seems odd that it begins to act up after an hour....never more, never less....Of course I only have 4 long trips to base this on. Did two 65 minute trips yesterday w/o soft resets and no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorris71
    I have owned my G4850M cradle since November and it has been working pretty well, with some minor issues of GPS loss. Now I am having a problem with the power cord staying connected to the cradle. The power cord has to be in a specific position when connected to the cradle in order to get power. If the cord moves or I hit a bump I lose power. Or even if I try to mount it in a different spot in the car it wont hold a power connnection. It feels like the input for power at the cradle is loose because the slightest movement and I lose power. Anyway, I asked for an RMA kit from Seidio and I recived a call from Kalvin at Seidio who told me to trim the little plastic piece from the power cord to make it longer and sit better in the cradle. I tried it and didn't work. So now I am going to recontact Seidio for an RMA kit. Has anyone had this problem or heard of trimming the plastic end of the charger to resolve this type of issue?

Tim
    Hi Tim,

Please give me your order number, I will send you a new one on Monday.
    Before you receive the new one you can trim the plastic (about 2 mm), it will help.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    Hi Tim,

Please give me your order number, I will send you a new one on Monday.
    Before you receive the new one you can trim the plastic (about 2 mm), it will help.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    David

Thank you I emailed you directly with my order number. I did try to trim down the plastic on the power cord and it really didn't help at all. Thanks again for helping out with the RMA.

Tim
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Your GPS cradle is broken. I had the same problems with my siedio gps cradle, couldn't see gps device, but it works now that I've gotten a replacement.

Although I eventually got good customer service it took a month of hard work to finally get an RMA out of siedio. Keep trying.
    Can you believe I still haven't gotten my GPS system to work? Mind you, I haven't been able to focus 100% on getting it going. I have, however, taken all the steps recommended on this board, yet I still get the same result: "No GPS Device!"

I have to think it's a hardware problem - perhaps a faulty 4850. I've placed a call into David Silver at Seidio - I'll anxiously await a response and let you all know what happens.

Very frustrating!
    Keith!
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    For this cable, one end is 2.5 mm male and the other end is RCA male. It is 6 ft long.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    Did this cable get made (2.5mm male - RCA L/R male)? I don't see it on seidioonline.com or seidio.com...
    Quote Originally Posted by kltreco
    Can you believe I still haven't gotten my GPS system to work? Mind you, I haven't been able to focus 100% on getting it going. I have, however, taken all the steps recommended on this board, yet I still get the same result: "No GPS Device!"

I have to think it's a hardware problem - perhaps a faulty 4850. I've placed a call into David Silver at Seidio - I'll anxiously await a response and let you all know what happens.

Very frustrating!
    Hi Keith,

I gave your phone number to our tech support dept. and they left you a voicemail. If you don't have a chance to get back to them, they will try to reach you again later.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreth
    Did this cable get made (2.5mm male - RCA L/R male)? I don't see it on seidioonline.com or seidio.com...
    Hi Kreth,

We received some samples this week and are in the process of testing and evaluating them. As soon as they are ready for sale, they will be listed on our website.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    Hi David,

Thanks for the response. Your customer support team did contact me and we are working on resolving the problem. Looks like the device might be faulty. Excellent response and follow up - It is greatly appreciated!

Keith
    Keith!
    Quote Originally Posted by kltreco
    Hi David,

Thanks for the response. Your customer support team did contact me and we are working on resolving the problem. Looks like the device might be faulty. Excellent response and follow up - It is greatly appreciated!

Keith
    Thanks a lot Keith - we will get it resolved for you quickly.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    David, Am in the market for a cradle with GPS and have a couple of questions:
    1. I have heard that the cradle in the 4850 will not take the "skinned" treo650. I am using your skin and would like to keep it on and be able to use the cradle. Has this been accomplished?
    2. I see the bundle price: cradle with Tom Tom. Can I buy the cradle first and if I need Tom Tom, will you sell me the Tom Tom for the diiference? As it is not returnable. Email me if this is not clear. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    David, Am in the market for a cradle with GPS and have a couple of questions:
    1. I have heard that the cradle in the 4850 will not take the "skinned" treo650. I am using your skin and would like to keep it on and be able to use the cradle. Has this been accomplished?
    2. I see the bundle price: cradle with Tom Tom. Can I buy the cradle first and if I need Tom Tom, will you sell me the Tom Tom for the diiference? As it is not returnable. Email me if this is not clear. Thanks.
    I am not David (at least not the last time I checked).. but I have the Seidio 4850 cradle in my car and reviewed it for the April issue of a certain magazine I don't write for anymore, HandHeld something or other.. actually I wrote the review last November, that's how long the lead time is for a paper magazine.

The 4850 is extremely form-fitting and it requires you insert the Treo 650 naked. No case, no sillycone skin. It is a tight but easy fit, and has a cushion behind the Treo to hold it snugly and not scratch it, but you have to take your case off, which was the only real downside to the device. The 4850 should be re-designed and have expandable "wings" like the Arkon car mount or the new BoxWave, both of which let you plop a Treo into them while in its case, virtually any case. But those are just mounting systems, not a mount + GPS + Speaker phone.

Other than that, thanks to the latest SiRF Star III (super-fast acquisition of GPS satellites).. chipset in it, plus the speaker phone and mic and 12v charger (it has no batteries, so it is strictly an in-car GPS solution).. The 4850 is a very cool device.

Depending on how or where you mount it (I use the windshield suction cup with the long, flexible arm).. it may jiggle around a bit while driving, but in my case, by bending the arm and getting it to rest against the top of the dash, that pretty much solved that problem, and I cut a small piece of foam rubber and crammed it between where the arm goes over the lip of the dash and it'll got rid of the jiggling. The long flexible gooseneck arm acts sort of like a bouncy spring.

My car has a dash whose top is the full width of the interior. If your car has one of those "pod around the gauges" type arrangements.. well, it'll vary from car to car as to the best place to mount it. You can suction cup it low and angle it up, or suction cup it high and angle it down.

Or you can use another mounting system that comes in its box, and clip it to your a/c vents, which I chose not to do. I prefer the windshield suction cup mount, which also has a swivelling head, so you can twist it for a better view of the screen and it'll stay put in that position.

I have run Mapopolis on it for months, works perfectly, so Tom Tom is not a requirment.

Some high resolution pictures of it in my car, with and without my Treo 650 in it:

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/4850a.jpg

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/4850b.jpg

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/4850c.jpg

Where and how you suction cup it will depend on the slope/angle of your windshield.

The mic has a wide metal clip on the back and a very long cord and is meant to clip onto a sun visor, but in these pictures you'll see it just hanging there, since I had just gotten the unit the day I took those pictures.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 03/12/2006 at 08:24 AM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Thanks Harv, most useful.
    Thats exacly what I will do, use the GPS with other software and see how I like it, but leave the option to buy the TT if I want to.
    Hope Seidio is OK with it.
    I just finished installing my new G4850M in my '01 F-150 SuperCrew. I ended up getting a ProClip mount too and fastening the Seidio mounting plate to the ProClip with the Seidio swivel mount between the cradle and the mounting plate.

http://mysite.verizon.net/cagaylord/seidio.jpg

I decided to go with the direct-wire power cable instead of the cigarette lighter plug. I wired it to the fuse box and routed it up under the dash and behind the radio head unit.

I mounted the mic on the headliner above the driver-side door and routed the wire down inside the A-pillar molding and inside the dash. Both the mic wire and the power cable then go into the a/c duct (through a small hole I drilled) and come out through the vent next to the ProClip. This ends up being very neat.

http://mysite.verizon.net/cagaylord/proclip.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/cagaylord/microphone.jpg

There's more details on the installation on my Gear Head Zone blog.
    Last edited by SafetyPro; 03/13/2006 at 03:40 PM.
    Chris Gaylord
    Safety Consultant
    Volunteer Firefighter/EMT

You can't leave footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your ****.
    And who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time?

Author unknown

My blogs:
    The Safety Zone (general)
    The Gear Head Zone (gear/gadget reviews)
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast