Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Two items needed IMO...

1. Decent install instructions that work if your phone has latest ROM.
    2. Cradle should have SD Card slot / holder. If TT is gonna recommend dedicated SD card, then I think the cradle should have a clot of SD card holder for your "normal" SD card.
    1. True, TomTom instructions suck (but I dont blame that on Seidio...although they could be a little clearer)
    2. Like Antelope said..there is NO need for a dedicated card...I have 1Gb of Music loaded on with my Maps and play it through the G4850 at the same time I'm using TomTom..works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    1. True, TomTom instructions suck (but I dont blame that on Seidio...although they could be a little clearer)
    2. Like Antelope said..there is NO need for a dedicated card...I have 1Gb of Music loaded on with my Maps and play it through the G4850 at the same time I'm using TomTom..works great.
    Just got this very detailed message from a Tom Tom user today and thought I would pass it along. I can't verify or endorse that all these steps are necessarily correct, but it worked for this user, and, with the difficulty in gettting hold of Tom Tom tech support, this might come in handy for some. If some of you do find this useful in clearing up Tom Tom installation problems, please let others know.

David Silver
    Operations Manager
    Seidio, INC.
    davidsilver@seidio.com

1. Just thought that since TomTom recommends a "dedicated" SD card. seems a needed feature of your cradles ought to be SD card slot / holder for the 2nd SD card. This way when I jump in car, I can slide out my regular SD card, pop the TomTom dedicated one out of your cradle and into my Treo and then the regular one can be safely held onto by the slot in the cradle.

2. Just thought you'd like to save your customers hordes of headaches with the installation of TomTom Software on Treo's....may be due to the latest firmware upgrades or whatever but hordes of people are having trouble and complaining at treocentral. Especially when it takes TomTom weeks to respond...who are customers getting mad at...the dude who sold it to them

After much trial and error found installation procedure that works

Suggest printing this out and including with your package:

1. It is recommended that you use a separate SD card for TomTom files as per software vendor recommendations.
    2. Format new SD card for TomTom maps / files
    One Region and Major Roads = 225 MB
    All maps 1,100 MB
    3. Install TT 5.12 (version in current box) on desktop by placing CD No. 1 in CD-ROM and runnin nstall procedure.
    4. Hotsync. Hotsync log will show 4019 error
    5. Delete all files in C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your user name]\Exchange\To directory.
    6. Install 5.2x upgrade from UK site (not on US site)
    7. Install Maps directly to card using TT "other (advanced)" procedure and desktop card reader or Softick Card Export II.
    8. Start up TomTom and register
    9. Move apps from step 1 back to card.
    10. Copy other files from step 1 back to card.

FWIW, TomTom support called me just after I figured this out on my own...several days later

If people are calling in after a failed installation, and / or are not yusing separet SD cards, have your techs e-mail this:
    :
    1. Move all apps off card into main memory using PowerRUN or whatever utility you use.....Don't forget DataViz stuff (Docs2Go) if you moved that with the TechTool. Copy SD card (music / movie / e-books) files to desktop location for later retrieval.
    2. Format SD card
    3. Install TT 5.12 (version in current box) on desktop by placing CD No. 1 in CD-ROM.
    4. Hotsync. Hotsync log will show 4019 error
    5. Delete all files in C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your user name]\Exchange\To directory.
    7. Install Maps directly to card using TT "other (advanced)" procedure and desktop card reader or Softick Card Export II.
    8. Start up TomTom and register
    9. Move apps from step 1 back to card.
    10. Copy other files from step 1 back to card.

Regarding steps 1 &2 - Uninstalling TomTom from the Treo or handheld device. This makes sure that all traces of TomTom from the initial install attempts are removed.

Regarding Step 4 - This error will be seen in your HotSync Log....make sure you watch installation or the 60 second timer at end of hotsync which offers to let you see this might not be caught.

Regarding Step 5 - This eliminates HotSync error....Hotsync again to check, especially if you have done voice install or attempted to install maps via hotsync. BTW, if you did't put Palm Desktop software in C:\ProgramFiles but on another partition, this won't work. You will need to install the Palm Desktop Software into another PC in its DEFAULT location. This will also un-upgrade your Docs2Go Software when you hotsync to get TT on. Reinstall the update for Docs2Go after you are all done.

Regarding Step 6 - You may get ARM error problems which usually means not enough memory. Installing the 5.2 upgrade eliminates this error, assuming, of course that you still have enough memory

Regarding Step 7 - the install map portion offers to let you install maps via hotsync or via a "advanced" method. Choose the advanced. Installing the New England / Mid Atalantic region will showe a HotSYnc bar that may list progress as x / 127 MB....the maps are 165 MB indicating an obvious error. Use a desktop card reader to do the install (this will be offered as a selection) if you have one. Otherwise, pick a windows drive, said drive being the one that Softick Card Export will place in Windows Explorer when it mounts your Treo's SD card when you tell it to connect the Treo to Desktop.

Regarding Steps 1,9 and 10 - If you have too many apps and files in main memory, you will not be able to install and open TomTom. Consider uninstalling some large programs and then reinstalling them.

Other advice.....copy your entire SD card to a partition or folder on your windows desktop. If anything goes wrong and you have to reformat your card, you can just copy it back...a process which takes 2 minutes compared to laoding all the maps via the install program (probably an hour).

Links:

- Navigator 5.2 Update - http://www.tomtom.com/support/index...3361&Language=1
    - Softick Card Export II - http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/
    I still get the message "No GPS Found" on my Treo. I've tried everything, aside from callling Seidio support. Is there any software installation from the Seidio end, or should I merely be able to install TomTom, place my phone in the cradle, and have it work? Perhaps I missed a step?

Any help is appreciated!
    Keith!
    You have, in order ? :

Plugged the charging cable in from cradle to power supply ?
    Placed the Treo foirmly down into the cradle
    Started Navigator

Can you launch navigator and use advanced planning ?
    Quote Originally Posted by kltreco
    I still get the message "No GPS Found" on my Treo. I've tried everything, aside from callling Seidio support.
    You should call Tom Tom support I think.

Is there any software installation from the Seidio end, or should I merely be able to install TomTom, place my phone in the cradle, and have it work? Perhaps I missed a step?
    Yes it should just work, though it sometimes has taken me up to a min and a half to get a locked in connection.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I still get the message "No GPS Found" on my Treo. I've tried everything, aside from callling Seidio support. Is there any software installation from the Seidio end, or should I merely be able to install TomTom, place my phone in the cradle, and have it work? Perhaps I missed a step?

Any help is appreciated!
    Do you have TomTom Configured to use "other Cable NEMA GPS" as your GPS Source????

Launch TT
    Hit the Menu Key
    Select Change Preferences
    Hit -> Twice (To goto page 3 or 5 in Preferences)
    Select Show GPS Status
    Select Configure
    Use the -> to goto "other Cable NMEA GPS'
    Hit Select
    Choose GPS Baud Rate of 4800
    Hit Done

That's all you need to do (other than making sure that your Treo is seated firmly in the cradle!!)
    I also find TT behaves better the next time if you use the 'exit application' option before starting another app. In fact, using this exit option solves my no GPS problem.
    Thanks for your help, guys. I've done everything you've said. I continue to try and configure the GPS, but the same result. I'm thinking I probably have a faulty device. The only other application I have installed on my Treo is "Goodlink" for my corporate email. Could that be interfering somehow? I would think that I could still get a GPS signal, no?
    Keith!

Any help is appreciated!
    I'm having the same problem. Just got mine yesterday. Did a hard reset and followed steps 1-10 above, but no dice. I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue. But, considering that I have NO 3rd party software loaded as of right now, I'm pretty sure I have a defective device...
    Any other ideas out there for solving this problem...? I've now contacted Seidio Tech Support, but have (not surprisingly) received no response.

This is so frustrating! What's the point of having a new toy if you can't play with it...?!?
    I contacted them today and got an automated email back saying it would be 2-3 business days for a response. I can be patient if it means it will fix the problem. I'll be sure to post what happens either way.
    Keith!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    I haven't even considered a GPS until all the glowing reviews here, but a question - I have the Treo form fitting leather case on mine. Will I have to take it out of the case each time to use this cradle/GPS?
    The only downside I really found with the 4850 was that it is desiged to hold a naked Treo 650. No matter what kind of case you keep yours in, even a very low-profile sillycone rubber skin, yes, you have to take it out of the case to put the phone in the GPS cradle.

I wish they would re-think this and design it either with spring-loaded fingers to grasp the phone on the side, or expandable fingers with a wing nut or something. I use an INNOpocket aluminum case around my 650, so taking it in and out of that is trivial, compared to wrestling it out of a silicone rubber skin.

The 4850 kicks ****. I use Mapopolis and I've pulled my car out of the car port, popped my 650 into the cradle, turned on Mapopolis, turned on GPS and gotten a satellite lock in 2-3 seconds, as soon as the unit could see the sky. That is astounding. That's the SiRF Star III chip set in action. Older units using the II chipset took anywhere from 1-5 minutes to get a lock using the exact same Mapopolis software.

I use the windshield suction cup and gooseneck mount.

All in all, an excellent product from Seidio, except for the "have to take the Treo out of its case first" routine.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by lnghrnchad
    Any other ideas out there for solving this problem...? I've now contacted Seidio Tech Support, but have (not surprisingly) received no response.

This is so frustrating! What's the point of having a new toy if you can't play with it...?!?
    Call David Silver, our Operation Manager 832-204-1104 (direct line), he will make it happen !

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    I contacted them today and got an automated email back saying it would be 2-3 business days for a response. I can be patient if it means it will fix the problem. I'll be sure to post what happens either way.

Hi Kltreco,

PLease call Seidio operation Manager 832-204-1104, he will make it happen !

David Chang
    Seidio
    I've spent a few hours poking around for info. Can anyone shed some light on using Goodlink and TomTom 5? This might be my problem - it seems if you're using Goodlink, there may be some problems with TomTom. Anyone know anything?
    Keith!
    I've spent a few hours poking around for info. Can anyone shed some light on using Goodlink and TomTom 5? This might be my problem - it seems if you're using Goodlink, there may be some problems with TomTom. Anyone know anything?
    kltreco,
    I run them both, but they are both memory hogs (and the T650 doesnt have enough memory). Make sure you are running the latest firmware and use the dbcache tool that is talked about here to make sure their is enough cache.

-Steve
    Actually, what works best for me is to power on the 4850 first then insert the Treo and lastly start TT
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    I could not get “Contact Navigation” to work with the European 5.2xx program. It would just bring up the “lawyer screen” and not get past it. I works fine with the U.S. 5.120 version.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    The only downside I really found with the 4850 was that it is desiged to hold a naked Treo 650. No matter what kind of case you keep yours in, even a very low-profile sillycone rubber skin, yes, you have to take it out of the case to put the phone in the GPS cradle.Harv
    Just a note for those wondering....cradle doesn't mind e-grips
    Kltreco

I have been having the same problem with my 4850. A lot of time I have to restart TT to get it to work. It seems to mostly happen when I stop using the GPS for a short period of time (ie when I stop at a rest area on a long trip) I do live in the north east and I leave my cradle in the car and I always blamed it on the cold weather. But now I see it's not just my cradle. If you find out anything from Seidio please let me know. And Dave Silver is definately the man to contact with a problem.

-Tim
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast