Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Scott,

I just played with using the external speaker (I usually have all the audio going through my car stereo).

For Phone calls, I really dont hear any distortion unless I have both the call volume and the speaker volume cranked all the way...I can get at least to 80%+ before I heard any real distortion...and its significantly louder than the treo using its built in speakerphone (I have no problem hearing it while driving).

When I use Pocket Tunes to play wma/mp3's I can overdrive the speaker fairly easily...Probably 60% on the cradle (and 100% on the treo) before it starts to distort (which is fairly loud, considering the speaker size)...I'd expect that since the Music quality/volume is better than Calls.

I can also get TomTom GPS commands plenty loud (well considering the size of the speaker....I can really crank it all through my stereo ).

Just a thought, but maybe your particular treo is overdriving it a little more (mine's GSM and it will vary some from unit/unit, firmware to firmware)...what if you turn down the Treo a little...does that help (can you get higher on the cradle)

-Steve
    Steve,

Thanks for the reply! I have tried to play with the volume levels on both the Treo and the cradle. Adjusting one higher and one lower or vice-versa results in about the same threshold of distortion regardless of how I arrive at it. I did upgrade the firmware on my Verizon Treo and it really boosted the volume, so maybe, as you say, my Treo is just putting out too much for that tiny speaker. It seems to me that the cradle has plenty enough power to use a remote speaker plugged into the audio out. If that works, I can get a bigger speaker with better sound quality and all will be well. I don't want to get into cutting into the speaker wiring in the car and I have several places where I could tuck a remote speaker, so I think I'll experiment with that next.

Now that I've had the cradle for a few days, especially with TomTom running, I don't want to give it up. Did you upgrade to TomTom 5.2? I believe that I read that it it solves the return to route after incoming call annoyance, allthough it's really not that big a deal with a hotkey programmed.

Thanks again,

Scott

PS Posted on the other thread because it seemed to have more traffic, but, you are right, it's a bash fest.
    Scott,

No I havent tried 5.2 yet...I'm running 5.12 currently and as soon as I answer the incoming call TT automatically restarts for me already (although I've seen where others it doesnt).

good luck with the external speaker effort
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    Scott,

No I havent tried 5.2 yet...I'm running 5.12 currently and as soon as I answer the incoming call TT automatically restarts for me already (although I've seen where others it doesnt).

good luck with the external speaker effort
    Steve,

My TT 5.12 does not return after a call is recieved I have to manually restart it everytime. Not a big deal but a nice convience to have any suggestions?? Also I couldn't find the TT 5.2 update on there website.

Also, not sure if anyone else has this issue. But I have noticed that in the cold weather in the Northeast that we get the Treo can't find the GPS device when its in the cradle. Sometimes it has to wait until the interior of the car is up to temperature. Have you heard of anyone else having this issue???
    tmorris,

Sorry, I dont have any suggestions..it just started working for me after I went to 5.12...Although from what I saw, not everybody was as lucky.
    For some reason they dont show the 5.2 update if you select USA-English as the language, but you can get it if you select UK-English in the upper right of their webpage
    http://www.tomtom.com/support/index....age=1&FID=3361

..no cold weather issues out here (although I'm in California
    Thanks Steve! And thanks for rubbing in that you always have nice weather out there.

Tim
    I have a Treo 650 through Alltel, and it looks to me like it should work with the blue tooth headset. Can anyone check me on this? Also, I had the TomTom software on my Zaire 72, and the last upgrade was definitely a huge improvement.

Orcish
    I believe Alltel is a CDMA carrier...so yes you should be ok
    Alltel is a CDMA Carrier. BT should work. I am looking forward to getting my 4850 hopefully tomorrow.
    Does anyone use Chatter email with this setup? I bought the 4850 with Tomtom5 software... wondering if anyone has any config tips?
    chatter and Tomtom should work fine together without having to modify either

the only config you need to make on TomTom to make it work with the G4850 is to go into the TT menu, select change preferences, hit the -> twice to move to page 3 of 5, select GPS status and configure it to use "other NMEA GPS" as your GPS hardware...it should then find the GPS signal whenever you have your T650 in the cradle with TT running
    I am having a problem where Tomtom cannot detect my GPS receiver. Half of the time it works with the "Tomtom Cable GPS" device, the other half of the time it works with "Other NMEA GPS device". Seems like every time I connect it to the base I have to choose the other device.

Example: Tomtom works just fine, directs me to a store. I turn off the car leaving the Treo docked in the cradle, go into the store and come back, turn on the ignition and I have to flip to the other setting. Please advise, its getting annoying!!
    Quote Originally Posted by buckZor
    I am having a problem where Tomtom cannot detect my GPS receiver. Half of the time it works with the "Tomtom Cable GPS" device, the other half of the time it works with "Other NMEA GPS device". Seems like every time I connect it to the base I have to choose the other device.

Example: Tomtom works just fine, directs me to a store. I turn off the car leaving the Treo docked in the cradle, go into the store and come back, turn on the ignition and I have to flip to the other setting. Please advise, its getting annoying!!
    buckZor,

I am having the same problem. I live in the Northeast and I just decided it was the cold weather. If I let it sit for a minute then try to fire up TT it usually works with out any problems. But now that I read you are having the same issue maybe there is a problem with the cradle itself.
    Spoke with Calvin at SeidioOnline this morning. He wants me to perform a 'Reset to factory settings' within the Tomtom preferences menu. Will update thread after following his suggestion..
    I just purchased the 4850, installed the TomTom software, and thought I was good to go. The only problem is that it says "No GPS Detected". I wasn't sure when configuring it which device I should choose (wired, TomTom Wireless, Bluetooth). Can anyone point me in the right direction (until i can get my GPS working, of course!) :P
    Keith!
    Quote Originally Posted by kltreco
    I just purchased the 4850, installed the TomTom software, and thought I was good to go. The only problem is that it says "No GPS Detected". I wasn't sure when configuring it which device I should choose (wired, TomTom Wireless, Bluetooth). Can anyone point me in the right direction (until i can get my GPS working, of course!) :P

'other cable nmea gps'

baud rate of 4800
    To use this with the ProClip Mount, do you need to buy the ProClip and the Treo 650 Mount? I know people say the mount works with the G4850M, but are they using the 650 mount?
    Quote Originally Posted by treomonkey
    To use this with the ProClip Mount, do you need to buy the ProClip and the Treo 650 Mount? I know people say the mount works with the G4850M, but are they using the 650 mount?
    You just need the Proclip Mount that fits your Car. The G4850 Kit comes with everything else you will need

The front of the proclip mount is flat and you just take Locking Plate that comes with the G4850 and screw it into the front of the proclip..The locking plate then is permanently attached to the proclip. You can then slide the G4850 onto that or use the swivel adapter (so you can tilt the G4850 to whatever angle you want)
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    YThe G4850 Kit comes with everything else you will need
    Two items needed IMO...

1. Decent install instructions that work if your phone has latest ROM.
    2. Cradle should have SD Card slot / holder. If TT is gonna recommend dedicated SD card, then I think the cradle should have a clot of SD card holder for your "normal" SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckZor
    I had this "issue" for a while too, then i realized i just wasnt waiting long enough. Sometimes it takes up to a min to get a lock, but it does finally get one 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time i have to soft reset to get it to lock onto anything.

Again, there is no need for a dedicated card. It works just fine with other stuff on there.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast