Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Hi, I'm not sure if these topics have been addressed or not, so I would appreciate any input!

1) AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $while$ $docked$ $on$ $G4850$, $you$ $cannot$ $use$ $BT$ $headsets$. $This$ $is$ $permanant$, $or$ $will$ $there$ $be$ $a$ $workaround$ $to$ $fix$ $this$ $problem$? $This$ $is$ $the$ $most$ $important$ $and$ $aggravating$ $issue$ $that$ $has$ $prevented$ $me$ $from$ $purchasing$ $this$ $product$!

2) Has anyone tried to mount the kit on proclip mount? Is it compatible?

Thanks...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hi, I'm not sure if these topics have been addressed or not, so I would appreciate any input!

1) AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $while$ $docked$ $on$ $G4850$, $you$ $cannot$ $use$ $BT$ $headsets$. $This$ $is$ $permanant$, $or$ $will$ $there$ $be$ $a$ $workaround$ $to$ $fix$ $this$ $problem$? $This$ $is$ $the$ $most$ $important$ $and$ $aggravating$ $issue$ $that$ $has$ $prevented$ $me$ $from$ $purchasing$ $this$ $product$!

2) Has anyone tried to mount the kit on proclip mount? Is it compatible?

Thanks...
    1) If you have a CDMA Treo (ie sprint/verizon) B/T Headsets work fine. If you have a GSM Treo (Cingular/TMobile) then the B/T Headset will not work when its fully docked in the cradle...If you want to take a call on your B/T Headset you can pull the GSM Treo just a hair up in the cradle (just enough to disconnect the dataport) and can still use it in the cradle (and still get charged since the Power connecter is longer than the data connector).
    The issue is with the GSM firmware so when the Dataport is used for Audio Out you can't use a B/T Headset . I saw were Seidio just released the G2350 which also has built in GPS (and no Audio out/no external speaker) and that should work just fine (the GPS commands cans will come through the Treo's speaker)

2) Yes, it works great with a proclip (that's how I hooked up the G4850 I just got). I'll post some pics and my comments a little later today
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    The issue is with the GSM firmware so when the Dataport is used for Audio Out you can't use a B/T Headset .
    Thanks... does anyone know though if this issue has been resolved with the latest 650 update (1.17 Cingular etc) that's just been posted by Palm?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Thanks... does anyone know though if this issue has been resolved with the latest 650 update (1.17 Cingular etc) that's just been posted by Palm?
    Interesting question, they do have some B/T updates in there but I'm under the impression that it will not fix this issue...but its certainly worth trying

I just got 1.17 installed on my Treo but I dont have access to a B/T Headset right now (I gave my headset away to somebody at work since I couldnt use it ...I wont be back in the office until next week but I'll try it as soon as I can find a headset and let you know
    Hi All,
    I also recently got a G4850 (that replaces my G2500), and here are some comments & photos (at the bottom) for those of you that are also looking into this cradle

Fit/Finish Ė Sturdy and attractive (for a cradle). I found it pretty easy to insert/remove the Treo and it does a good job of holding the Treo in place. In addition, you also have access to the Antenna port on the Treo if you want to use it (it was blocked with the original G2500 cradle)

Mounting Ė It comes with a swivel base, along with both suction and airvent mounts that can be used to mount it in any vehicle Seidio Product Page
    I also bought a proclip mount for my SUV and was able to connect the seidio swivel base to the proclip mount. Iíd recommend using a proclip if they make a custom version for your vehicle. Proclip Website

Power Ė It comes with a cigarette adapter that plugs into the DC input. You can also buy an optional hardwire cable that plugs in the DC input and can be connected directly into your vehicleís electrical system. I bought this cable and soldered it into the power lead that feeds into the back of my cigarette lighter. This makes the installation much cleaner (no big plug in your Cigarette adapter). The cradle provides power to the Treo and GPS receiver along with having a DC Output Jack that you can use to power another device (such as an external FM Transmitter or some B/T Headsets)

External Speaker Ė They did a good job improving the external speaker compared to the one that is in the G2500 (which was on the back of the unit and fairly weak). The G4850 has the speaker in front, and the volume level is acceptable (there is a volume control dial on the left side). It works well as a speakerphone or for GPS commands and I havenít had any problem hearing it over road noise.

Microphone Ė It ships with an external microphone thatís attached to a long cable (and plugs into the left side of the cradle). This mic is used for speakerphone or headset calls and Iíve snaked it through my dash and have used sticky tape to attach it in a good position on my dash. Itís much better than the original mic that came with the G2500 and seems to work well (you still get a little echo but even my 3yr can understand meÖand visa-versa)

Audio Out Jack Ė There is a dedicated jack for Audio Output on the left side (same as the G2500). It can be used for calls, music and GPS commands in at least 3 different setups. 1) To wire the Audio directly into your Car Stereo (if you stereo has an available input) 2) Connect to a FM Transmitter so you can send the Audio to your FM Stereo Radio 3) A wired earpiece (although you must still use the external microphone for calls). Iíve chosen to wire it directly into the back of my car stereo (into an Aux Input) and it works great. The MP3ís sound like CD quality through the Stereo and I can also hear GPS commands or phone calls through it (itís the same audio that goes through the External Speaker, you can use either one or both)

GPS Receiver Ė This was a great addition. I already had TomTom and had been using a portable Bluetooth GPS Receiver (BT-338) but I must say having the GPS built into the cradle (and the cradle handling the serial connection) is even better The Seidio GPS receiver is very quick to sync up (~50sec when I turn on the car in the morning and ~5 sec if Iíve driven the car within the last few hours since itís storing the last Satellite info) and it very sensitive (even though the cradle is at the bottom of my center console it locks up just fine). With my portable GPS, I always needed to have it in the car and had to remember to turn it on before I needed it (as well as keeping it charged) so the best part of the GPS Cradle is itís always ready when you start your software (TomTom or otherwise).

Issues Ė So far I havenít had any issues with the unit. The only quirks Iíve seen are really issues with the GSM Version of the Treo (the CDMA Treo doesnít have these issues).
    1) You do get some occasional GSM ďinterferenceĒ that you can hear through the speaker at the start of some calls (particularly if your signal is weak)
    2) You canít use a Bluetooth headset when your GSM Treo is locked into the cradle. This is a problem with the GSM version of the Palm software that causes it to lock out the B/T headset when the dataport is being used (the Cradle connects to the Treo via the dataport on the bottom) If you do need to use a B/T headset you can lift the Treo slightly out of the cradle, just enough for the dataport to disconnect, and the Treo can remain sitting the cradle. Since the power connection is a little taller you can still have the Treo getting charged in this position.

Overall Impression Ė Iím very happy with the unit, and itís a nice upgrade from the G2500ÖUsing the G4850 Iíve turned my Treo into an In-Car Navigation System, Speaker Phone and MP3 Player (and you can even read emails while stuck in traffic )

Here are some photos of my setup

-Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Davisdog,
    your pics of your setup are too sweet. I vowed I'd never buy anything from seidio again after I had a horrible time with their wired headsets for the treo 600. BUT! with my treo 650 and this new gps/mp3/speaker phone thingy they have going on(Seidio G4850 GPS Car Kit). I'm going to have to renege on that vow. I'm buying this baby. I might not even have to use my Bluetooth headset in the car anymore if I can hear the caller thru the speakers in my car and I can talk thru the mic. Oh baby!
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    Audio Out Jack Ė There is a dedicated jack for Audio Output on the left side (same as the G2500). It can be used for calls, music and GPS commands in at least 3 different setups. 1) To wire the Audio directly into your Car Stereo (if you stereo has an available input) 2) Connect to a FM Transmitter so you can send the Audio to your FM Stereo Radio 3) A wired earpiece (although you must still use the external microphone for calls). Iíve chosen to wire it directly into the back of my car stereo (into an Aux Input) and it works great. The MP3ís sound like CD quality through the Stereo and I can also hear GPS commands or phone calls through it (itís the same audio that goes through the External Speaker, you can use either one or both)

-Steve
    Do they provide the cable from the audio out put to the car stereo? If you have to buy it, what does it look like and where can you get it?
    davisdog, when you talk about playing mp3's in your "Audio Out Jack" section are you saying that you can hook up an mp3 player to the cradle and then feed the audio from there into your car stereo, are you playing the music from the treo? And if so, do the spoken commands from TomTom get announced over the music? If so thats fantastic, but somehow i dont see that happening.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    Do they provide the cable from the audio out put to the car stereo? If you have to buy it, what does it look like and where can you get it?
    The Audio Out is a 2.5mm Stereo jack (same thing as the Headphone Jack on the Treo). The first thing I did was get a cable to convert that to a regular 3.5mm jack (which is more common). Radioshack may have them or you can get one from seidio 2.5mm to 3.5mm
    Then I got a a Y Cable that converts the single 3.5mm stereo Jack to a Left/Right RCA Cable...something like this 3.5 to RCA and then you can plug that into your Stereo (assuming it has regular RCA inputs). It's all hidden behind the dash so you cant see it

You can look for 1 cable that goes straight from 2.5mm Stereo to RCA, but that maybe hard to find (3.5mm is more common)

The last caveat is many Car stereos dont use RCA jacks and instead have fancy custom/proprietary jacks...In that case, companies like Blitzsafe and P.I.E. make connectors that interface with the different car types and provide an RCA input you can plug into. Fry's electronics carries some of those or you can order online...www.logjamelectronics.com is one place or you can google
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    davisdog, when you talk about playing mp3's in your "Audio Out Jack" section are you saying that you can hook up an mp3 player to the cradle and then feed the audio from there into your car stereo, are you playing the music from the treo? And if so, do the spoken commands from TomTom get announced over the music? If so thats fantastic, but somehow i dont see that happening.
    AntelOpe,
    I'm playing MP3's from the Treo and that goes through the Audio out as I described in the post right above this. I use Realplayer (but you can use P-Tunes etc..) and the MP3's are just stored on my SD card (along with the TT Maps etc...)

...and YES , the TT commands play right over the top of the music...within TT you can set the volume level it uses so that you can hear it above the music (it almost sounds like the commands are dubbed as part of the song...). It works out perfect, I was amazed when I first heard them come through because I wasnt sure if it would work like that
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I have the Magellan Roadmate 500 and wondered how the Tom Tom navigator 5.1 compared. Since I have a Treo 650 VZ, I thought the Seido may be a better solution.

Thanks
    Last edited by rj5620; 12/09/2005 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorris71
    I'm glad to see all the good reviews from the 4850 GPS cradle. I have to say I have had some problems with Siedio themselves. I ordered mine back on the 6th and just got it friday. The first time they sent it out it mysteriously got returned in the middle of shipping. Fed ex said it was them and gave the name of who requested to be returned and Diedio said it was Fed Ex. Once I got that mess taken care of they sent the package back out and it arrived without any problem on Friday. That was until I opened it.

I was missing half of the kit. I got the cradle and the window mount and the TT 5.1, that was it. No power cord, or mounting plate, or swivel mount or vent mount. That will hopefully show up this week. I also ordered the FM transmitter. They sent the wrong USB charging cord to use from the craddle to the transmitter hopefully they send the right one this time. Once I get it all and actually use it, I will hopefully have a good review as well.

By the way any problem with the GPS working and not keeping the unit as close to the windshield. I'd really hate to have at a full arms reach away and try to use it.
    Well let see, we last left off that I had only recieved half of my 4850 GPS kit from Seidio. I was able to speak with customer service who directed me to the web sight to file my request for the missing parts. I did that on the 18th. I recieved an email from Seidio stating that my order for missing parts was recieved and had also shipped on the 18th, but did not provide a tracking number. It is now the 22nd still no tracking number. I have check the web page for it and had emailed them for it. Still no tracking number.

Today I recieved an email stating I needed to put the RMA number on the outside of the package. I am assuming this will be for the one item they sent in error. I am hoping and praying that they do not expect me to return the whole thing in order for them to ship out a whole new kit. I then decided to contact customer service for the tracking number and find out what the deal was. She had no clue. She didn't understand why I recieved the 3 different emails. She attempted to contact shipping with no response from them. This is getting completely rediculous. I order this "great" product so I could have it for the holiday travel, at this rate it will be after the first of the year before I get it.

As I read other threads and see other people having problems with Seidio's promises of delivery and products I have become completely discusted with the lack of internal communication. I even had Dave from Seidio tell me earlier in this thread he would look into personally and "make it right," so much for that. They have no idea what is going on with the order or where it is or when it shipped (if it ever did). I am at the point that I am going to return the whole thing get my money back and call it a day. Seidio really is clueless when it comes to cutomer service and satisfaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorris71
    Well let see, we last left off that I had only recieved half of my 4850 GPS kit from Seidio....They have no idea what is going on with the order or where it is or when it shipped (if it ever did). I am at the point that I am going to return the whole thing get my money back and call it a day. .
    That's too bad, for your sake I hope seidio comes through quickly with the missing parts and you give it a chance (and I'm betting David is following through)
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hey Seidio,
    Quick question, do you guys plan on making a 2.5mm Y cable that plugs into the AUX inputs of a car stereo? I'm assuming seidio is keeping up with this thread that's why I'm posting this here.
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    Hey Seidio,
    Quick question, do you guys plan on making a 2.5mm Y cable that plugs into the AUX inputs of a car stereo? I'm assuming seidio is keeping up with this thread that's why I'm posting this here.
    Can you be more specific ? Is the cable with one end 2.5 mm male and the other two ends 2.5 mm female and 3.5 mm female ?
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    Can you be more specific ? Is the cable with one end 2.5 mm male and the other two ends 2.5 mm female and 3.5 mm female ?

I believe he is refering to post #30 where I mentioned you need to convert from 2.5mm to L/R RCA to hook the G4850 Audio out into a car stereo (and it takes at least 2 cables right now)

This
    and
    This

So one end would be 2.5mm Male, the other 2xRCA Male (separate L/R)
    HI Steve,

I think we can do this. one end 2.5 mm to be plugged into the audio out, the other end (2.5 mm female for earpiece, 3.5 mm female to be used with RCA cable)

David Chang
    sounds good (as long as you can keep it relatively small so the earpiece connection isnt flopping around when not in use)...it would solve the problem of having to break the connection to the stereo in order to use an earpiece
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    HI Steve,

I think we can do this. one end 2.5 mm to be plugged into the audio out, the other end (2.5 mm female for earpiece, 3.5 mm female to be used with RCA cable)

David Chang
    Hey Seidio,
    This will be a nice little cable, but what I was actually talking about was a stereo 2.5 mm - male - RCA - male - 6 ft. I was not even considering the fact that someone might still want to connect an earpiece because I figured if I could hear the caller thru my car stereo, I wouldnt need an earpeice. Obviously the cable would have to be long enough to reach the back of the stereo.
    Last edited by hova; 11/24/2005 at 04:01 PM.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast