1.    #1  
    I have a Cingular Treo 650 and am a heavy BT user by necessity.

I'm starting to pick up on the idea that BT headsets that work fine with Verizon and Sprint 650's.... WORK TERRIBLY WITH CINGULAR 650's!!!!

Is this TRUE?!?

I went to the TreoCentral Store a few minutes ago (very nice, helpful guy) and was shocked to learn that the "HBH-300 for Treo 650" is not a re-make. In other words, it is not a NEW VERSION of the HBH-300 made specifically for the Treo 650!

For a long time I struggled with my beloved HBH-300 on the 650 when the 650 first came out, having to manually connect the headset every time I made a call. Before the 650 came out I used to use the 300 with a Jabra BT adapter with the Treo 600 with NO COMPLAINTS (exept bulk), then bought a 650 with the mistaken assumption that the 650 would work with most headsets like other BT phones.

I finally gave up early this last summer and sold the 300 on ebay, then bought an HBH-608. It was light... so light that I took off the ear hook and used a Jabra eargel alone to keep it in place. It did connect automatically, but with a long delay and I really missed that incredible long boom and superiour noise cancellation of the HBH-300... the sound quality for my callers was pretty bad most of the time.

I'm in the market again & I actually called to place an order for a Speck toughskin case and an HBH-300 just now.... and I will eventually buy it from TreoCentral, but not if I have to manually activate both the HBH-300 and the 650 too.

Please give me your feedback here about your experiences with CINGULAR and BLUETOOTH.

MODS: I know that on the surface this thread might seem like it belongs in the Bluetooth section, but I posted it here because this is probably really a carrier software issue, ultimately.. PLEASE LEAVE IT HERE FOR MAX EXPOSURE FOR THE SHORT TERM... thanks much!

Tom.
    Last edited by Tom Jefferson; 11/25/2005 at 09:09 PM. Reason: more specific
    I have the hbh-300 and love it. I had it with the sprint 650 and just switched last week to cingular on the 650. works the same. connects automatically to my treo and sounds perfect.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I am using an hbh-660 I bought from dan's cellular on ebay a few months ago. So far I'm very happy with it.
  4.    #4  
    Hey Smartphone,

Thanks for the quick reply... you're just the guy/girl I need to talk to..

A. Do you know if the "HBH-300 for Treo 650" is a different model, made specifically for the 650... or is it the same one that's been on the market all along?

B. It works fine on a Cingular 650?
    1. Does it automatically connect without touching the headset when making an outgoing call?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    a. there's only one hbh-300 out there. "marketing" is for the treo 650.
    b. yes, works perfect on the 650.
    1. it does automatically connect without touching the headset.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone
    a. there's only one hbh-300 out there. "marketing" is for the treo 650.
    b. yes, works perfect on the 650.
    1. it does automatically connect without touching the headset.
    Please forgive me for this repetition, but...

... you do automatically connect on a Cingular 650 when dialing out.. right?

The reason I ask is that it did work fine for receiving calls by using the headset only before but not the other way around for dialing out.

Thanks for your patience.

TJ
  7.    #7  
    Well, so far I have managed to personally meet with 4 more Cingular Treo 650 owners and paired my newly acquired HBH-300 with their 650's... none of them worked together properly... that is, on outbound calls the headset must be activated separately as well as the phone, additionally the headset did not always connect with the phone for an outbound call, requiring the user to cancel the call and try again... jeeez!

At the same time I have met with 2 Verizon 650 owners and 1 Sprint 650 owner and successfully paired my HBH-300 with them too... the HBH-300 worked with full functionality with the Sprint and Verizon 650's... That is, the headset automatically (and quickly too) connected with the phone when the phone was used to make an outbound call. (at least as much functionality that the 650 allows anyways... no voice dialing)

These people's 650's were all tested in the same area in Florida and all other factors remained the same, so......

Conclusion:
    Cingular's 650 software does not allow for the same Bluetooth functionality that Sprint and Verizon's 650 software provides.... absolutely sickening... thanks for nothing Cingular, I am immediately switching to Verizon.

Note: It appears that, at least in our area, Verizon (through Assurion) provides replacement insurance for the 650... whereas Cingular's relationship with Assurion prohibits them from being able to insure the 650... Thanks again Cingular!..bite me.
  8.    #8  
    I just downloaded Cingular's newly released version 1.17...

I will install it in the wee hours when our businesses are closed and will report back as to any progress toward functionality with the HBH-300.
  9.    #9  
    Finally got Cingular's 1.17 installed...

It DOES seem to have included the profile for the HBH-300 as it works automatically now, even after 3 soft resets (that's what used to disable it).

I'll keep testing and report back in a few days.
  10.    #10  
    Yes indeed, 1.17 was what the HBH300 needed!

1.17 noted improvements:
    - HBH300 sony ericsson BT headset finally works the way it should on Cingular's network
    - less (not all, but less) unwanted redial list bug popups
    - It might have freed up a little memory, but not much
    - faster and more stable call and end call times (in general)
    - tried that new call filter v1.3 after the Cingular update as well and unfortunately it still makes BT and call function in general hang and stall (ie: when you press to hang up the screen freezes awhile... very sad, I'd love for it to work its a very simple program and I'd pay for it if it worked properly)
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    As I reported in another thread...

Bluetooth headset results with 1.17
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For those who are interested...
    I have had very good results with my Jabra 250v bluetooth headset since installing 1.17.

Before the update it took about 3 rings for the headset to realize there was an incoming call. Trying to answer a call with the headset button often took two button pushes...I usually just answered with the phone itself to avoid missing calls. That's the way it was before 1.17.

The good news is that all of that is fixed with 1.17, at least it is for me on the Jabra. The headset gets the call instantly and I can answer with one click on the headset.

Your mileage may vary but this has made a huge difference in my daily use of the Jabra. I was disappointed before...I'm happy now.

Hope this is helpful to someone...
    --Nelson
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I've noticed since I upgraded to 1.17 that my SE HBH-660 has lower volume. Before the upgrade, it had no volume problems at all. Now I struggle to hear the other party. It's a bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson
    I have a Cingular Treo 650 and am a heavy BT user by necessity.

I'm starting to pick up on the idea that BT headsets that work fine with Verizon and Sprint 650's.... WORK TERRIBLY WITH CINGULAR 650's!!!!

Is this TRUE?!?

I went to the TreoCentral Store a few minutes ago (very nice, helpful guy) and was shocked to learn that the "HBH-300 for Treo 650" is not a re-make. In other words, it is not a NEW VERSION of the HBH-300 made specifically for the Treo 650!

For a long time I struggled with my beloved HBH-300 on the 650 when the 650 first came out, having to manually connect the headset every time I made a call. Before the 650 came out I used to use the 300 with a Jabra BT adapter with the Treo 600 with NO COMPLAINTS (exept bulk), then bought a 650 with the mistaken assumption that the 650 would work with most headsets like other BT phones.

I finally gave up early this last summer and sold the 300 on ebay, then bought an HBH-608. It was light... so light that I took off the ear hook and used a Jabra eargel alone to keep it in place. It did connect automatically, but with a long delay and I really missed that incredible long boom and superiour noise cancellation of the HBH-300... the sound quality for my callers was pretty bad most of the time.

I'm in the market again & I actually called to place an order for a Speck toughskin case and an HBH-300 just now.... and I will eventually buy it from TreoCentral, but not if I have to manually activate both the HBH-300 and the 650 too.

Please give me your feedback here about your experiences with CINGULAR and BLUETOOTH.

MODS: I know that on the surface this thread might seem like it belongs in the Bluetooth section, but I posted it here because this is probably really a carrier software issue, ultimately.. PLEASE LEAVE IT HERE FOR MAX EXPOSURE FOR THE SHORT TERM... thanks much!

Tom.
    I hve used my HBH-300 sucessfully with the 1.15 Cingular software and now even more sucessfully with the 1.17 upgrade. Certainly, the 1.17 improved the performance dramatically, because the phone doesn't reset anymore, which required me to re-pair the phone with the bluetooth to get full functionality (meaning instant call pickup on both outgoing and incoming calls). There is one trick that I learned from the bluetooth forum for getting this full functionality. First, go to your file directory and delete the Bluetooth cache file and the Trusted device file. Then, go to your bluetooth connection icon and repair the headset. Before your phone recognizes the headset as the HBH-300, and still sees it as an unrecongized audio device, select it and enter the 0000 password. It will pair and you will get full functionality all of the time. Don't ask me why this works, and, no, I was not bright enough to figure this out on my own. It was the geniuses that visit this web site.
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1
    As I reported in another thread...

Bluetooth headset results with 1.17
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For those who are interested...
    I have had very good results with my Jabra 250v bluetooth headset since installing 1.17.

Before the update it took about 3 rings for the headset to realize there was an incoming call. Trying to answer a call with the headset button often took two button pushes...I usually just answered with the phone itself to avoid missing calls. That's the way it was before 1.17.

The good news is that all of that is fixed with 1.17, at least it is for me on the Jabra. The headset gets the call instantly and I can answer with one click on the headset.

Your mileage may vary but this has made a huge difference in my daily use of the Jabra. I was disappointed before...I'm happy now.

Hope this is helpful to someone...
    --Nelson
    I also have a Jabra 250v. It would be back at Staples right now, due to dissatisfaction. But I lost track of time and the 14-day return window has passed.

I have a Sprint Treo 650 (1.12a) and my biggest problem with the 250v is the mic. People constantly complain I am breaking up. This is even in my office, with the door closed, and Treo within 2' of the headset (forget about a noisy environment). It seems to improve it I move the Treo to within 1' of the 250v, but this is a bit ridiculous (might as well just use the Treo itself). So I have stopped using the 250v.

Now the volume that I hear with the 250v is somewhat OK (could be louder, but it is useable if I have the 250v fitted closely--though the darn rocker control, for me, is not easy to "feel" by touch). The issue is primarily with the mic (or RF). I called and left myself several VM messages as a test. I would talk for a little while with the 250v, then turn the call over to the built-in handset mic. When listening to the VM, it was readily apparent that the sound improved dramatically when BT was out of the equation. So it doesn't seem to be a (carrier) reception issue.

But my 250v has properly connected (reliably) with my Treo from it first pairing. Indeed it has never lost its pairing (and I just picked it up after not using it for a few weeks--worked fine). It's not very fast as picking up calls, but not long enough to actually miss a call.

I at first tried the (cheapest) Motorola BT headset and it went back after three days. That thing would simply not stayed paired (even without a reset). But when it worked, no one complained about my mic volume, or worse, the breaking-up issue. Yet its volume--on my side--was lower than my 250v's.

So after being stuck with this Jabra 250v, I've had no desire to go on a quest for a BT headset that actually works well with my Treo (why the heck should we have too?).

To me it just seems there isn't enough RF power for the thing to work correctly--unless I hold the phone 12" from the headset, and press the 250v's mic firmly against my cheek (right now it seems to want to stay about 1/4"-1/2" from my cheek).

Anyway, how do you find the mic ability on your 250v? Does anyone know of a way to improve its mic volume (i.e., with a VolumeCare type of utility). At this point I'm wondering if perhaps my Treo's BT transceiver is just sub-par and no BT headset will work correctly. And since Sprint has had a firmware update some months-ago, I don't see a new fix coming out anytime soon (I suspect their attention is now more on the Treo 700p).

--
    Mike