1.    #1  
    Now that Marc is providing OWA, can someone please recommend a reasonably priced single-user Exchange host, if one exists? I'm a business of one.
    Last edited by neill; 11/14/2005 at 11:09 PM.
    You could try google "Exchange Hosting", several sites will be listed, like: http://www.intermedia.net/hosting/ex...ed/default.asp
    http://www.asp-one.com/default.asp
    http://www.123together.com/
  3.    #3  
    I've tried a search on the subject, and the results are a bit bewildering. The providers offer a range from 100 meg to 1 gig of mailbox space, which doesn't necessarily relate to cost. Accessibility to tech support and percent uptime also factor in. This is why I was hoping for a personal recommendation.

A related question-- can I migrate IMAP mail from my current provider (Fusemail), and what is the difference between IMAP and MAPI?
    Until this week when I installed a small business server for my office, I'd been using mailstreet.com to host an Exchange mailbox. I have had good luck with it. You gotta get the activesync add-on. All told I think its $30 per month. It allowed me to use Versmail via activesync which is VERY nice.

Also syncs your calendar.
    Sorry about the search, not much experience on hiring someone to host my emails since my usage are either corporate or via my ISP.

MAPI vs IMAP, technically by definition,

MAPI stands for Messaging Application Programming Interface is an email programming interface. Any MAPI enabled email server allows sharing of email services between each other.

IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol. It is a method of accessing electronic mail or bulletin board messages that are kept on a (possibly shared) mail server. In other words, it permits a "client" email program to access remote message stores as if they were local.

Can you move IMAP email over to a MAPI enable email host? Yes, your email is just data.
    I am also looking for hosted Exchange. I am considering moving my entire company (30 users) to Exchange and don't want to worry about running my own Exchange server. Currently I am evaluating MailStreet and Mail2Web both of which seem pretty nice.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neotope
    I am also looking for hosted Exchange. I am considering moving my entire company (30 users) to Exchange and don't want to worry about running my own Exchange server. Currently I am evaluating MailStreet and Mail2Web both of which seem pretty nice.
    This is something I may consider as well.
    Please keep us up-to-date on your evaluation...
    Thanx
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I use a company called 1and1.com, and I believe Marc said he uses the same one for his Exchange account. They have been great to me. Quick setup and as long as your using Outlook 2003, you should have no problem. With the price, it will include a copy of Outlook 2003 for you. The price is $6.99/month. You can even set up a company on exchange accounts and have public folders for any user signed up through your original account with 1and1.com. Check them out.
    Newton 100 > Newton 120 > Palm IIIx > LG Phenom Express > Palm 505 > Treo 300 > Tungsten T > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750
    Actually, I don't like 1and1 at ALL for IMAP hosting; their IMAP implementation is buggy and their tech support is pretty much nonexistant. At least that's been my experience.

I have no opinion of them as an Exchange host.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    This is something I may consider as well.
    Please keep us up-to-date on your evaluation...
    Thanx
    I did not use Mail2Web because they can't offer you a third level domain or other domain to use for an email account. I did not want to change anything with my domain and I felt it silly to register a domain just to try out a service.

I, or should I say my boss is currently setup using a PPC 6700 with active sync through MailStreet. The setup was very easy and I had the phone going with active sync after a couple actual minutes of work. I did have to wait for the initial account to get setup and then the active sync account to get setup but the actual time I spent setting everything up was minimal. Overall I think we're both happy with MailStreet I am just not sure it offers the best pricing.

MailStreet charges a setup for Active Sync and $2/mo. I found a couple other providers in my searches that provided Active Sync for free with no setup. I also don't like the 100 MB mailbox size of MailStreet. I know this is fairly standard but I am hoping I can find a provider that offers a larger sized mailbox (250~) for around the same price and even have Active Sync standard.
    You can try Savvis Communications...they do it all.
    www.savvis.net
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback neo!

I did not use Mail2Web because they can't offer you a third level domain or other domain to use for an email account. I did not want to change anything with my domain and I felt it silly to register a domain just to try out a service.

I, or should I say my boss is currently setup using a PPC 6700 with active sync through MailStreet. The setup was very easy and I had the phone going with active sync after a couple actual minutes of work. I did have to wait for the initial account to get setup and then the active sync account to get setup but the actual time I spent setting everything up was minimal. Overall I think we're both happy with MailStreet I am just not sure it offers the best pricing.

MailStreet charges a setup for Active Sync and $2/mo. I found a couple other providers in my searches that provided Active Sync for free with no setup. I also don't like the 100 MB mailbox size of MailStreet. I know this is fairly standard but I am hoping I can find a provider that offers a larger sized mailbox (250~) for around the same price and even have Active Sync standard.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2
    You can try Savvis Communications...they do it all.
    www.savvis.net
    I will try them out. I am looking for a provider that offers at least 200 MB of storage and Active Sync for no additional fee. Most providers like to ding you for $2/mo for Active Sync and with me needing 30 potential users that is money that I would rather spend on something else over the course of a year.

I am also evaluating Link2Exchange they seem to have a decent setup.
    I will echo Marc on 1on1... I had horror stories using them and went with a small business server in my house.
  15.    #15  
    I've signed on with Zidar.com after doing lots of digging and making many Treo-related queries.

Frank and his partner cater to individuals like us- there's no minimum number of mailboxes. For $10 a month, they provide 200MB, ActiveSync, IMAP w/IDLE, spam and antivirus filtering.

Best of all, I got lots of personal help from the owner during setup.

Should you sign on too, please tell him I sent you :-)
    One quick thing of note, which goes to your original premise: When looking for an Exchange provider, try and find one that provides IMAP access to Exchange. Despite the fact that Chatter is going to support Exchange through OWA, it will never be as full featured as Chatter's support for IMAP, just because OWA is not as powerful as a good IMAP implementation. (I think even Marc would agree with me there). Exchange is a pretty good IMAP server, and works great with Chatter. If I were looking for an Exchange hosting provider, that is what I would look for first.
    Oh, and by the way, (and I am not endorsing them, just pointing you towards them) you may want to look at http://www.mi8.com. I have no experience with them, don't know if they are any good, and don't know what they charge. I just know that they support Exchange with MAPI, IMAP, and OWA. You be the judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    One quick thing of note, which goes to your original premise: When looking for an Exchange provider, try and find one that provides IMAP access to Exchange. Despite the fact that Chatter is going to support Exchange through OWA, it will never be as full featured as Chatter's support for IMAP, just because OWA is not as powerful as a good IMAP implementation. (I think even Marc would agree with me there). Exchange is a pretty good IMAP server, and works great with Chatter. If I were looking for an Exchange hosting provider, that is what I would look for first.
    I've never used IMAP with Exchange it was blocked on the account Exchange account I used for regularity for about 3 years.

Does it reflect changes you made to emails, say if you reply or read an email is the email marked as such when looking at the account from Outlook or the web? I would assume it does but I've never heard either way.
    Yes, flags can be synchronized, and Exchange supports the IDLE command, allowing Chatter to work in it's optimal mode and provide true push. I will be very suprised if Chatter will ever be able to mirror this functionality with OWA support.