1.    #1  

These are pretty early pictures but it seems to be the closest to the Foleo's Form Factor.... the keys, the color, the screen...

This may be the netbook i end up buying. $399 aint that bad a price. Eagerly awaiting the specs.
    Check out the MSI Wind (U100) - you might be surprised at what's already available.
    The keyboard on the previous Mini Note was, hands down, the best of any netbook I've typed on since the Foleo. The Wind has a good keyboard, but the Mini Note's was even better. Unfortunately the MN was 2.9 lbs., and the Wind is 2.6 to 2.8.

The Mini 1000 has a 10" screen rather that the old 8.9" one, and 1280 x 768 resolution, for $399 (presumably a 3-cell version). The only drawback is that there's no XP version -- it's Vista-only. This will probably be my next hackintosh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    This will probably be my next hackintosh.
    At that screen resolution, it would be a worthwhile project (and probably run faster than Vista).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    At that screen resolution, it would be a worthwhile project (and probably run faster than Vista).
    Arrrgh! According to this JK On The Run review, it's 1024 x 600, not 1200 x 768 as I originally stated. From a commenter in the article thread:
    Know why you don't see any netbooks with greater than 1024x600 resolution, a 10" screen, or more than 1 GB of RAM? Thank Microsoft, and something called ULCPC - Ultra Low Cost PC.

Microsoft doesn't want to keep selling Windows XP. They want to kill it, and sell Vista. Makes business sense. But, these little netbooks don't meet the minimum specs for Vista.

So, MS grudgingly decided to keep selling an "ULCPC Edition" of XP, but only for systems that don't exceed the specs they set: no larger than 10" screen, no higher than 1024x600 resolution, no more than 1GB RAM. If OEMs made netbooks with beefier specs, MS wouldn't let them sell them with XP.
    Oh well, it was a nice fantasy while it lasted.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the link! My desired config is about $540. why does bluetooth have to cost so much??
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Check out the MSI Wind (U100) - you might be surprised at what's already available.
    I recently purchased a Wind. Got the 6 cell battery and 2GB RAM. Cost less than $650 with XP Home. It has Bluetooth, which my big laptops don't have.
    If OEMs made netbooks with beefier specs, MS wouldn't let them sell them with XP.
    Which is where the Foleo would have had an advantage, being a Linux-based OS...Palm could have used whatever resolution screen they wanted! Of course, then everyone would probably complain about the price...
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    Which is where the Foleo would have had an advantage, being a Linux-based OS...Palm could have used whatever resolution screen they wanted! Of course, then everyone would probably complain about the price...
    HP has a Linux version of the 1000 coming out, as they did with the Mini-Note (many or most netbooks have Linux versions). But the Windows version of the Mini-Note was Vista-only, with a higher resolution but a crappy VIA processor that's suboptimal for hackingtosh conversion. I'll probably get the 1000 anyway with the 6-cell comes out, since my love of the keyboard has ruined my objectivity on the other specs.

The Foleo was an entirely different architecture than other netbooks. It used an ARM processor, which basically made it a PDA in the form factor of a laptop. Netbooks, though similar in size, are basically just subnotebooks that occasionally using solid state storage instead of a hard drive. The Foleo couldn't handle video refresh rates at its 10" screen size, even in small windows, and certainly not at a higher resolution. Since it was designed to sync to the Treo, the concept was for the Foleo to only handle lightweight standalone applications that had to either be written from scratch or ported from standard Linux distros. The Foleo's Linux had a different graphics subsystem (not X11) and API, which meant that Palm had to recruit developers to build new software around the platform.
  10.    #10  
    I saw the preview of the Linux variant they are going to sell in January. It looks pretty neat, although early versions that are out are still reportedly buggy.

I could definitely see though Palm coming out with the same kind of Custom OS, only this will not be just a layer over another OS. I would be soo hyped if the new Palm OS looked anything close to the interface of what the mini 1000 will have (pictured below - thanks Gizmodo).

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Isn't it kind of late for anything Palm may have to offer at this point?

Palm is going bankrupt, the Foleo isn't going to fly them to financial solvency.

There are so many mini-computers out there now that the target market if diluted. It's too late for anything Foleo-like.

I agree it may be too late. But they have to make one go******it! We foleofanatics want the real Foleo to be released!!

If Palm will be able to extend their "smartphone companion" concept to include iPhones, Blackkberries, Winmobs, and make it specialized to SYNC these, then Palm may have a market.

Call it a Celio Redfly for the rest of the smartphones, only with its own operating system and functionality. makes sense? I could imagine iPhone users buying a Foleo Redfly for their iPhones! thats 10million users in the market already!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Call it a Celio Redfly for the rest of the smartphones, only with its own operating system and functionality. makes sense? I could imagine iPhone users buying a Foleo Redfly for their iPhones! thats 10million users in the market already!
    Celio claims to be in talks with other companies to support other platforms. WM was meant to be a first platform. I'd be willing to bet that if Nova supports multitasking, Celio will create the proper drivers for the Redfly.

Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    There are so many mini-computers out there now that the target market if diluted. It's too late for anything Foleo-like.
    Palm doesn't have the cash at this point to launch a Foleo Redux, but I'd like to see more netbook-sized smartphone terminals whose operational design is closer to the Redfly, whoever makes them -- as long as they're in the $100-200 price range. They're basically like the portable keyboards we've seen for smartphones and PDA, but adding a decent-size monitor to make their utility more complete. Ideally they should be priced around twice the cost of keyboard-only accessories.
  13.    #13  
    I finally BIT on it folks!! My first Netbook! (goodbye Foleo?)

Bought the 10 inch, 16GB SSD, 1 GB RAM, Wifi+BT configuration + 4GB Mobile Drive

Cost= $509 Total (via APP Student program + 5% coupon)
    Add the Live Search 25% cashback program ($119)

$390 NET Price (Shipping and tax included)

The only bad part about it is that my build date is still Nov 25. I need it now though! Need a Windows laptop for work!
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    If I dropped the MSI WIND, would I break wind?
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I finally BIT on it folks!! My first Netbook! (goodbye Foleo?)

Bought the 10 inch, 16GB SSD, 1 GB RAM, Wifi+BT configuration + 4GB Mobile Drive

Cost= $509 Total (via APP Student program + 5% coupon)
    Add the Live Search 25% cashback program ($119)

$390 NET Price (Shipping and tax included)

The only bad part about it is that my build date is still Nov 25. I need it now though! Need a Windows laptop for work!
    Which netbook, this HP Mini 1000?
  16.    #16  
    Yup i bought the HP Mini 1000. For $390. Sweeet.

Live Search Cashback: the best kept secret in online shopping.

It's basically Microsoft's attempt to bribe you into using their search engine (Live.com). It has been a while, but for some reason it has not really gone into mainstream internet knowledge. Lucky for us, coz it may have been gone by now if it were.

Anyway here's how you do it.

Go to live.com. Search for certain items like the hp mini 1000 and they will come up with sites where you can buy it and get cashback when you do buy it thru that site. It is indicated by a golden live cashback round icon next to the search item. The thing is you have to buy it within 1 hour of searching it thru live.com and it must be on a continuous session. Once you go thru with the purchase, it will go to your private Live Cashback account, where you can transfer it to your account after 60 days.

It sponsors ebay (currently 25% cashback) and a couple of other stores. They just recently added the HP online store which pushed me to the brink of buying it.

You can also get the Treo Pro 25% off thru it! It's fantastic!!