Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's been almost a year since TreoCentral reported the Foleo cancellation.

In that time, have you grown more fond of the Foleo (or the concept it represented) or less? Have you acquired any Foleo-like devices or substitutes? How have they worked out for you?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  2.    #2  
    In my case, I sweated the Foleo for a good while, weighing its pro's an con's, then eventually decided to get a Sony VAIO TX laptop. It has an 11-inch screen, Bluetooth, a dual-layer dvd burner, Windows Vista and an 80GB harddrive.

I decided against the Foleo - for my needs and budget - in August... before it was canceled. If I'd passed on the deal I found, just to wait for a device that was to be canceled, I'd have been very, very upset with Palm.

I decided against the Foleo because I knew that my needs were diverse and would continue to grow. I'd surely reach the point where I'd want my Foleo (or Foleo-like device) to do the things I can do on my computer - almost without exception. It turns out I was right. So, despite the TX's shortcomings (and independent of the abortion of the Foleo), I think I'm happier with my SONY TX than I'd have been with a Palm Foleo.

That said, there's still a part of me that truly believed in the concept (if not the execution and pricing) of the Foleo. What wouldn't suit my needs would surely suit others and might eventually evolve into a product that would benefit me.

Light-weight, simple, long-battery life, easy Treo-connectivity/interaction.

I like the sound of that. I guess my bottom-line is that I'm happy with what I got but I miss the Foleo that never was - even as other manufacturers produce similar devices like the RedFly (which is what I originally thought the Foleo would be).

If nothing else, I'd rather not have to (occasionally) wrestle with my devices just to share my Treo's internet connection with my laptop.
    Gentlemen,

Give up the ghost!!

"He's dead, Jim" --Leonard McCoy
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I still like the concept and the pricepoint. Kinda wish I had something like that...the treo with a bt or IR keyboard just isnt the same.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

especially after what i have been thru, i want it even more

there just isnt a device in the market with the same mix of feature set (10 inch screen, full keyboard, BLUETOOTH, office apps, web apps, CF and SD card slots, its sleek form factor)) and the same price point ($499)

Its amazing how much bletooth costs in the current gen of mini notebooks. the closest thing is the msi wind i think for about $399. its form factor just not at the same level as the Foleo.
    Don't forget the feature of needing a smartphone(and most likely a Treo to begin with, just like the picture showed) to use it to it's full potential.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Don't forget the feature of needing a smartphone(and most likely a Treo to begin with, just like the picture showed) to use it to it's full potential.
    That sounds more like the RedFly than the Foleo. Maybe I've forgotten something?
    west3man, is the Sony TX good enough for video playback? i read a review sayin it played videos real slow.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    west3man, is the Sony TX good enough for video playback? i read a review sayin it played videos real slow.
    I have no problems with it.

It's true that this model is put together to be highly mobile moreso than to be a big-time workhorse, so it has its shortcomings. Slow video playback is not among them, though, in my experience.

Oh yeah. Btw, the TX has been discontinued. The TZ line has taken its place. The TZ's are the same size and shape and have very similar specs, but they come with built-in webcams and no external antenna for Sprint wireless broadband reception, among other differences.
    I still want one. I bought a used Toshiba Portege to use as a laptop in the meantime, but I would have preferred a Foleo for many reasons. It did everything I need it to do. And as bulls96 said, it had ALL the features you want--the netbooks are all missing at least one big one. Big screen, big keyboard, yet still compact. And the e-mail linking is genius.

I suspect the Foleo II will have more capabilities--or at least a lower price point. So many things have happened in the meantime for Palm to upgrade the machine.

I'm still carrying around a bluetooth keyboard, which I use with my Treo almost daily to send an e-mail. A bigger screen would be sooooo nice.
    Last edited by MaggieScratch; 07/28/2008 at 11:09 AM.
  11.    #11  
    I still would LOVE to be able to hold one and try it out.

I still think it's incredibly ironic that Palm hyped the product and got us excited about it, unveiled it and disappointed us, defended it and won a number of us over on the concept, and then dropped it, leaving a bunch of unfulfilled converts to go to OTHER manufacturers to fill their newly-discovered needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I still think it's incredibly ironic that Palm hyped the product and got us excited about it, unveiled it and disappointed us, defended it and won a number of us over on the concept, and then dropped it, leaving a bunch of unfulfilled converts to go to OTHER manufacturers to fill their newly-discovered needs.
    That would have made a great love story wouldn't it?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    That would have made a great love story wouldn't it?
    A painful one, at least. I hope it's never mine!
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    That sounds more like the RedFly than the Foleo. Maybe I've forgotten something?
    I remember the promos. You needed a Treo(and they said eventually other smartphones) to use it to it's full potential. It was redundant to carry both, since the Foleo the way they presented it, became mainly an extension of the Treo. It barely functioned as a stand alone without the Treo.

I forgot some details and I may have to do a search in the forums to remember all the limitations, but it failed badly due to that, at the cost they were asking. One thing I do remember is heavy reliance on the Treo's data or BT connection to sync email.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15.    #15  
    I thought the Foleo was supposed to function well as a simplified laptop replacement. It only needed the Treo if the user wanted to share the phone's data connection and to sync.

It had wi-fi and Bluetooth.

Sorry if I'm not getting you (and I understand if you don't wanna explain further).
    I remember the promos. You needed a Treo(and they said eventually other smartphones) to use it to it's full potential. It was redundant to carry both, since the Foleo the way they presented it, became mainly an extension of the Treo. It barely functioned as a stand alone without the Treo.

I forgot some details and I may have to do a search in the forums to remember all the limitations, but it failed badly due to that, at the cost they were asking. One thing I do remember is heavy reliance on the Treo's data or BT connection to sync email.
    Really only true for email sync as noted in the press release.

I have been using the Foleo that I have for web browsing on our wifi network at work. Only connected through the Centro once on the train.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I'm going to have to search for some really old posts when I have time, but it turned me off that the Foleo really WASN'T a true laptop replacement but a Treo extension mainly. Unlike the mini-laptops with full functionality, out at the same price.

How much drive space, RAM and USB ports does it have again? One reason I forgot all the specs and info is they weren't that great at the asking price.

I'm going to have to search for some really old posts when I have time, but it turned me off that the Foleo really WASN'T a true laptop replacement but a Treo extension mainly. Unlike the mini-laptops with full functionality, out at the same price.

How much drive space, RAM and USB ports does it have again? One reason I forgot all the specs and info is they weren't that great at the asking price.
    This should give you some details on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Foleo
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Thanks! That reminds me of just how much the Foleo was an extension of the Treo and also the lame specs for that price.

Thanks! That reminds me of just how much the Foleo was an extension of the Treo and also the lame specs for that price.
    Indeed.

I got to see/play with it in person for a couple of hours before Palm canceled it. I thought the concept was interesting, but the execution fell flat on its face as far as I was concerned. I couldn't see the utility of carrying it when I could just as easily carry my laptop. I did appreciate the instant-on. That was the one thing that I liked about it. Otherwise, I was completely underwhelmed.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast