Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    I don't remember the Foleo being faster over DUN than the Treo 755p on its own, but I only used DUN a small percentage of the time due to fairly ubiquitous wifi access.
    I certainly couldn't say for sure, having never even seen a Foleo up-close, let alone having held one. But all of my pc DUN experience produced what seemed to be faster transfer speeds, so I thought it might be the same on a Foleo.

I'm waiting for the Treo Pro to hit Sprint, then getting a Redfly. Though I didn't think so when the Redfly was first announced, the dumb terminal approach is a smarter design than the Foleo's internal CPU and OS. My biggest frustration with the Foleo was the lack of a PIM equivalent of the Palm Desktop or Outlook (MotionApps was unwilling to release their beta app prior to the Foleo's cancellation).
    Precisely.

Not having to worry about parallel applications OR syncing appeals to me a lot.

With the Redfly, all of your data stays in your phone, so there's nothing to sync. The battery life, at least from the reviews I've read, it stunning. Even at the Foleo's 6-hour battery life, I never carried the charger with me; I just walked around with the Foleo in a neoprene sleeve. But Ed Hardy was claiming a 9.3-hour battery life for the Redfly when connected to the phone via USB. Since the phone's screen goes dark when connected, he said that 1.5 hours of use only drained his Tilt's battery by 25%.
    That's one thing that's kinda bugged me - the phone's screen going dark. If there are some applications that won't translate to the RedFly well enough (and I believe there are) or if I might prefer to interact directly with my phone at times, I'd really prefer that the phone stayed active and responsive or at least if I could "wake it up" to use it when I choose to (and without disconnecting the RedFly).

While I'm not placing any bets on it, I think there's a possibility that Palm recognized that the standalone CPU/OS approach wasn't as scalable as the Redfly's dumb terminal approach (no YouTube, for instance), and that once Nova OS has the multitasking capacity to support a more Redfly-like Foleo, they'll offer a Foleo II.
    Even if I never buy one, I kinda hope they do offer a(nother) Foleo. After all, they pretty much came up with the concept from which so many others are profitting. Heck, it's probably because of their Foleo hype that I purchased the 11-inch notebook I'm using right now.

If RedFly's battery life is as high as you say, that's beyond awesome. I have to pretty much tweak this laptop to the max to approach 10 hrs of battery life, but without much tweaking, I can already walk around without worrying about bringing my charger - 6 hours keeps me happy enough, most days.

With the RedFly's recent (but probably now-gone) $199 price-tag, its tiny dimensions, and insane battery life, I believe I'd have to give it a shot.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    That's one thing that's kinda bugged me - the phone's screen going dark. If there are some applications that won't translate to the RedFly well enough (and I believe there are) or if I might prefer to interact directly with my phone at times, I'd really prefer that the phone stayed active and responsive or at least if I could "wake it up" to use it when I choose to (and without disconnecting the RedFly).
    The only apps I've heard about not working are multimedia apps. The Redfly doesn't render phone's video stream at the proper frame rate. I'm not a big enough fan of streaming video to care, but if I did come across a video I absolutely needed to see on the spot, I'd have no problems disconnecting the Redfly and watching the clip directly on the phone with Kinoma Play or CorePlayer. Connection and disconnection are virtually instantaneous. This JK On the Run video shows the Redfly in action.

I resisted considering the Redfly before learning that it not only didn't significantly impact the phone's battery life, but that it actually keeps the phone charged when it's connected via USB.

If RedFly's battery life is as high as you say, that's beyond awesome. I have to pretty much tweak this laptop to the max to approach 10 hrs of battery life, but without much tweaking, I can already walk around without worrying about bringing my charger - 6 hours keeps me happy enough, most days.
    The most detailed info on the battery life is in this Brighthand review.

With the RedFly's recent (but probably now-gone) $199 price-tag, its tiny dimensions, and insane battery life, I believe I'd have to give it a shot.
    It's $199 through October 31st, but maybe the TC Store or other vendors will maintain the price on their existing inventory until they sell out.
  3.    #63  
    Woooo! Another notch in the RedFly column.

I was watching which demonstrated that the device doesn't just "blow up" the information from the smartphone's screen. It actually redraws it and allows for more information to be displayed on the screen.

It's got its limitations but they may not be insurmountable.

The example they showed was an Excel spreadsheet. I don't remember precisely, but I'd estimate that the smartphone displayed columns A-D while the RedFly could display columns A-L or -M.

Nice.

A surprising element was that the device works with Telenav. I got the impression that it would be displayed similarly to the spreadsheet method in that the information wouldn't just be blown up, but more of it could actually be displayed.

That opens up a whole new world of possibilities for me. One of the things that turned me off of devices like RedFly's and Foleo's was the fact that I wouldn't be able to use my pc's gps navigational software with them.

That still seems to be true, but my software also comes with a smartphone version, which I now suspect could be used with the RedFly!

Suh-weet.
    Time for a Foleo Itch Check....

I'm getting real close to getting the hp mini 1000. Mainly because of the Foleo Itch. It is the closest as i have mentioned in another thread.

I still want a Foleo though. and wanting one more than before. It's like getting fixated at getting a Banana Rep pants to go along with my perfectly fine Banana Rep coat (my Treo). whatever netbook i get, it still aint the same without the same Palm logo sitting on top of it.

Thats just me
  5.    #65  
    With the Pre in-mind, I'd think the Foleo concept becomes a bit more palatable to previous nay-sayers.
    I think we can look out for that Foleo II running Palm WebOS any day after July 4...
    "To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail."
    ~Michael Jordan

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    ~Author-Sir Colin Spedding

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. ~John Kenneth Galbraith, Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went"

Finally upgraded and dual-booting HP TouchPad running CM9. Look out world, here I come, ready or not! Now rocking the cancelled AT&T Pre3 no thanks to HP!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackisBack View Post
    I think we can look out for that Foleo II running Palm WebOS any day after July 4...
    Oh goodie - another netbook ... 2 years after the others started coming out. Palm sure knows how to lead the market.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    With the Pre in-mind, I'd think the Foleo concept becomes a bit more palatable to previous nay-sayers.
    So does the Redfly concept.

If they can get it to work with the Pre, I want one of each.
    Together, they'd pretty much be what the Foleo was, aside from the lack of stand-alone capability in the netbook.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty J View Post
    So does the Redfly concept.

If they can get it to work with the Pre, I want one of each.
    Together, they'd pretty much be what the Foleo was, aside from the lack of stand-alone capability in the netbook.
    I'm a little thrown. You'd want one of each what - the Pre and the RedFly?

Why would you want the RedFly, specifically, to work with the Pre when it's not meant or made to, but the Foleo (apparently) is/was/would've been?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234