Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Honestly, I thought you meant expansion slot because technically what you mean is a card READER(looking at manufacturers descriptions) which is why I asked if you meant expansion slot. Sorry about that.

Card readers are indeed on every halfway decent laptop.

BTW, anyone see this?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/22/a...s-eee-moniker/
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Honestly, I thought you meant expansion slot because technically what you mean is a card READER(looking at manufacturers descriptions) which is why I asked if you meant expansion slot. Sorry about that.
    "sd card slot" is what I'm used to hearing and saying, but I'm glad the confusion is cleared up.

News to me.

As was the the following: "It looks like ASUS knows how much it's trashed the Eee brand..."

Has it? I've mostly heard positive things around here.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Engadget harps on the fact that Asus released quite a few EEE models. They use "trash" because they think Asus overdid it. People in the comments have said the writer sounded biased anyway, so they disregard that statement. And it's true, Engadget is an opinion blog much of the time.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    the eee's are cool, but Asus did over do it... there are like 20 different variations of the eee, some linux, some xp, some 9 inch, some 7 inch, some 2gb, 4gb, 12gb, 16gb, 20gb, some atom processors, some celeron, etc, etc, etc,... I could go on & on... I said screw a eee, and picked up a used vaio ux, and couldnt be happier...
    HTC Touch Pro
    LOL! Looks like they edited "trashed" into "diluted". Well that's better than "trashed"!!

6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    the eee's are cool, but Asus did over do it... there are like 20 different variations of the eee, some linux, some xp, some 9 inch, some 7 inch, some 2gb, 4gb, 12gb, 16gb, 20gb, some atom processors, some celeron, etc, etc, etc,... I could go on & on...
    Too many options are bad for whom? I could see that variety affecting their production costs.

Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    I said screw a eee, and picked up a used vaio ux, and couldnt be happier...
    Ooooh. You got a ux?! Tell us more!
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Too many options are bad for whom? I could see that variety affecting their production costs.
    well options are always good for the consumer, but this thread http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=37082 was one of the things that soured me on the eee... I didn't like how it was a hit or miss type thing with the zif connectors... I looked at all those model #'s & Revision #'s, and said to hell with a eee lol

Ooooh. You got a ux?! Tell us more!
    the ux280p was the umpc I always wanted, this was pre foleo, eee... but they were just too expensive... especially since it was a want and not a need... but once I seen used ones selling on ebay for $500-$800 depending on the condition & included extras... I had to scoop one up

I love everything about the ux except the keyboard... if you need to do alot of typing this is not the device for you... although the ebay auction I won included a foldable BT keyboard... heres a nice video overview http://www.buy.com/prod/sony-vaio-ux...203002803.html oh yeah I also wish the camera(s) were better, they are typical 1.3mp webcam quality
    HTC Touch Pro
    The only real reason why you notice lists like those on the eeepc is that there is a large community for the eeepc that wants to tiner with them. All of the major laptop manufacturers do the same thing. I have 12 inspiron 6000 laptops with 3 different driver configurations for the onboard components. As far as I can tell they are using at least two different motherboards. For the non tinkering people, there is no difference between two motherboards with the same specs. It only matters to those who want to tinker or upgrade.
    The Foleo was a laughable idea when it was announced and it's still dumb.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    The Foleo was a laughable idea when it was announced and it's still dumb.
    Howso? Is that just because it's not right for you or ...?
  11.    #51  
    Sony's gotten on my bad side lately, so while I still love my TX (which is on its way back to me from their repair facility), I'm also still keeping my eyes open for (Foleo-esque) alternatives.

I think a really big part of catching the Foleo-bug* is experiencing the great convenience of having a laptop so light, tiny, and long-lived that you find yourself taking it with you (and enjoying its functionality) much more often and in many more places. I believe the reviewers who weren't originally sold on the Foleo idea, but began to change their tunes once they got to carry it around for a little while.

It becomes very "normal" very quickly and you may soon find yourself expecting other devices to live up to a new standard.**

* - a great interest in having a mini/sub-notebookish device with great battery life (and, perhaps, streamlined functionality)

** - pretty soon 15 inch screens seem like movie screens by-comparison
    There are many, many Foleo options now. Had the original not been so limited, they would been the foreunner but shortsightedness did Palm in again. All the other alternatives are REAL netbooks that can replace a laptop, not just limited smartphone companions.

13.    #53  
    It seems that the RedFly's price has been dropped to $199. I don't remember what the price was before, but I'll tell ya... if I had a Windows Mobile device in one hand and $200 in the other, I'd jump all over this.

No doubt.
  14.    #54  
    I read a RedFly review, last night, that made me raise an eyebrow or three. Yeah, quite a trick, I know.

It did give me a bit more doubt, but for $200, I think I'd still have given it a shot. Now I've gotta check out that thread about the so-called Sony TT.
    I forgot about the limited Redfly. That's one alternative I still wouldn't consider, although perhaps if I used WM phones all the time then maybe. But even then, I'd still need a fully functioning laptop.

16.    #56  
    I forgot about the limited Redfly. That's one alternative I still wouldn't consider, although perhaps if I used WM phones all the time then maybe. But even then, I'd still need a fully functioning laptop.
    Same here.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Just got my RedFly! SO far so good!
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by farnlc View Post
    Just got my RedFly! SO far so good!
    Very cool. Keep us posted.
  19.    #59  
    One issue I could imagine having with a RedFly, as opposed to a Foleo, would be internet connection speeds. I'd expect the RedFly to be slower than a Foleo because Foleo's use DUN connections.

I think Foleo's DUN speeds are, oddly, faster than Treo internet connection speeds*.

* - ...or could that just be a Blazer limitation?
    One issue I could imagine having with a RedFly, as opposed to a Foleo, would be internet connection speeds. I'd expect the RedFly to be slower than a Foleo because Foleo's use DUN connections.

I think Foleo's DUN speeds are, oddly, faster than Treo internet connection speeds*.

* - ...or could that just be a Blazer limitation?
    I don't remember the Foleo being faster over DUN than the Treo 755p on its own, but I only used DUN a small percentage of the time due to fairly ubiquitous wifi access.

I'm waiting for the Treo Pro to hit Sprint, then getting a Redfly. Though I didn't think so when the Redfly was first announced, the dumb terminal approach is a smarter design than the Foleo's internal CPU and OS. My biggest frustration with the Foleo was the lack of a PIM equivalent of the Palm Desktop or Outlook (MotionApps was unwilling to release their beta app prior to the Foleo's cancellation).

With the Redfly, all of your data stays in your phone, so there's nothing to sync. The battery life, at least from the reviews I've read, it stunning. Even at the Foleo's 6-hour battery life, I never carried the charger with me; I just walked around with the Foleo in a neoprene sleeve. But Ed Hardy was claiming a 9.3-hour battery life for the Redfly when connected to the phone via USB. Since the phone's screen goes dark when connected, he said that 1.5 hours of use only drained his Tilt's battery by 25%.

While I'm not placing any bets on it, I think there's a possibility that Palm recognized that the standalone CPU/OS approach wasn't as scalable as the Redfly's dumb terminal approach (no YouTube, for instance), and that once Nova OS has the multitasking capacity to support a more Redfly-like Foleo, they'll offer a Foleo II.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast