Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I was intended to buy Foleo, then it was canceled and then I was paid for the job with MacBook Air which since then has become my primary computer.

Back to the issue, though all these new Chinese toys like EEE PC or Wind are much more powerful they are no match to Foleo in terms of design and, I guess, quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by derloos View Post
    I was intended to buy Foleo, then it was canceled and then I was paid for the job with MacBook Air which since then has become my primary computer.

Back to the issue, though all these new Chinese toys like EEE PC or Wind are much more powerful they are no match to Foleo in terms of design and, I guess, quality.
    You've never owned a Foleo and you've never owned a "new Chinese toy," but somehow you know they are no match for a Foleo. I had no idea the aftertaste of koolaid could last so long.
    I disagree about in terms of design. The Foleo was so boring, it was depressing to see another blah design from Palm. I haven't checked the build quality thoroughly of any of the mini-laptops. But I did think Air was a bit too delicate.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #24  
    It probably wasn't clear from my responses but, I want the Foleo concept/functionality more than ever. I couldn't see paying so much for a Foleo and I couldn't see carrying a Foleo and a laptop BUT I'd love to have a seamless Treo connection (sync and internet access sharing), instant on, great battery life, and a small, lightweight form-factor.

So, yeah. I'm down with the concept. I just found a different way to fill the need.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  5.    #25  
    The TreoCentral Store is carrying the RedFly, now.

IF I were gonna get a Foleo-like device (i.e. not a full computer) and if I were a WM user, I'd be mighty interested in a (discounted) RedFly.

It's like Dieter was saying in the last TreoCast - no worrying about syncing multiple versions of files or anything. The RedFly is just your Treo in a bigger package.

I do wonder, though, if certain Treo functions would be limited while connected to the RedFly (like voice recognition).
    Naaah, the Redfly is even more limited and more overpriced than the Foleo... and that says a lot.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Naaah, the Redfly is even more limited and more overpriced than the Foleo... and that says a lot.
    Limiting: Like I said, I opted for a true laptop, but if I were gonna go for a Foleo-like device, I'd consider a RedFly.

Overpriced: Note "discounted." Perhaps I should've said "significantly discounted."

The RedFly is what I originally expected the Foleo to be. No need to "share" an internet connection (or pay more for it). No need to sync files. No need to worry about buying programs for the RedFly.

It's got a lot going for it. I'm no WinMo guy, though.
    The Foleo is dead, it has been supplanted by the recent netbooks by Asus and others.

Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    there just isnt a device in the market with the same mix of feature set (10 inch screen, full keyboard, BLUETOOTH, office apps, web apps, CF and SD card slots, its sleek form factor)) and the same price point ($499)

Its amazing how much bletooth costs in the current gen of mini notebooks. the closest thing is the msi wind i think for about $399. its form factor just not at the same level as the Foleo.
    For $549 (ok $50 more than the 499 Foleo) you get an Asus 1000H; 80g harddrive, 1g RAM, 10" display, WiFi, Bluetooth, and long battery life. The Atom processor in this laptop is truely impressive. I moved from a 901 functioning as a second laptop, to the 1000H which has become my primary laptop. I can connect to my phone via bluetooth for syncing or internet access.

All those complaining about the Atom performance need just use one. It's Vista experience index of 2.8 is better than nearly all "true" laptops in the sub-$900 price range.

Quote Originally Posted by derloos View Post
    You are guessing. The build quality on the 901, and 1000H is on par with the MacBook. Build quality on the 900 was on par with HP/Compaq/Dell.

While I agree the small keyboard on the 9" models lends to calling them "toys", the 10" models with the near full-size keyboard are true laptop replacements.

btw - I am truely impressed with the battery life on the 1000H. I have mine set to full CPU, 40% screen briteness, bluetooth off; and I have streamed Olympic coverage using SlingBox across the 'Net for over almost 5 hours now.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi View Post
    btw - I am truely impressed with the battery life on the 1000H. I have mine set to full CPU, 40% screen briteness, bluetooth off; and I have streamed Olympic coverage using SlingBox across the 'Net for over almost 5 hours now.
    Wow. I'm jealous. I don't think that my Sony TX would last more than 4.5 hrs with wifi on and Bluetooth and dvd-drive off... unless I seriously tweaked some power save settings (like cranking the processor down).
    Last edited by west3man; 08/11/2008 at 02:25 PM.
    I'm still interested in one now. The Asus is to much like a toy for me (bad keydb and small screen).
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I'm still interested in one now. The Asus is to much like a toy for me (bad keydb and small screen).
    I guess you didn't read dgoodisi's post above. the 1000H's screen is the same size as the Foleo - and the build quality is good. Oh and one more thing - it actually exists.
    1 year plus since the foleo cancelled. Still happy it was deep sixed. Couldnt give a rat`s *** about that turd. Just a cheap laptop stripped of the media, memory, and processing power found in more capable notebooks. Garbage.
    End of story.
  13.    #33  
    I wondered, some time back, whether the RedFly would render webpages any better than the WM Treo to which it is connected. No answer, so far.

If the added resolution doesn't change anything, then that's a big-time "con."
    Just got a lightweight full 15.4" laptop for under $650(not including tax). I also saw some for even $550. If retailers keep selling low end laptops for this cheap, the Foleo II better have some serious specs to get people to jump.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Just got a lightweight full 15.4" laptop for under $650(not including tax). I also saw some for even $550. If retailers keep selling low end laptops for this cheap, the Foleo II better have some serious specs to get people to jump.
    True. I guess they'd have to really offer stuff that the full laptops lack. I haven't been laptop shopping in a year but when I did, I had a helluva time finding one with an sd card slot, Bluetooth, ... and long battery life, I think.

Whenever I'd find those elements in one package, the price shot up tremendously. Well, most times anyway.

So, I guess I'd expect Foleo II to have a chance if they dropped the price a bit and offered what the lower-priced laptops from next year or whenever... lack.

The more time that goes by, the harder I expect that will be. So I guess we should also expect larger hard drives and mad marketing.
    Bluetooth is almost never on low end laptops, that would be a plus. I haven't seen a card slot, except a reader(you mean expansion slot, right?) on any laptop to tell you the truth. That might be due to hard drive space being about 160GB minimum now.

17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Bluetooth is almost never on low end laptops, that would be a plus. I haven't seen a card slot, except a reader(you mean expansion slot, right?) on any laptop to tell you the truth. That might be due to hard drive space being about 160GB minimum now.
    I've never heard of an sd card slow being called an expansion slot on a computer, but I think we're generally talking about the same thing.

When I use a digital camera or my Treo (the 650 anyway) and I need to quickly transfer files, built-in card readers are extremely useful. So, for me anyway, it's not about how big the internal hard drive is.

EDIT: Heh. But my VAIO's hd is only 80GB, believe it or not.
    I don't think I've bought a laptop in the last 3 years between work and home that didn't have a built in SD card slot. I thought they were pretty standard fair these days.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    I don't think I've bought a laptop in the last 3 years between work and home that didn't have a built in SD card slot. I thought they were pretty standard fair these days.
    Agreed, although there are enough exceptions to be bothersome. Sony especially, has a habit of including Bluetooth but omitting the sd expansion in favor of memory sticks. Which sucks (for me anyway).

Anyway, it's too hard to get a good mixture of the things that are important, for a low price and in a small package. Which is good news for sub-notebook makers.

Like cars, people began to covet the biggest and baddest, but some have learned that a small, fuel-efficient number comes in really handy.
  20.    #40  
    Duplicate post. Sorry.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast