1.    #1  
    Hawkins was right that a small, light, ultra long battery life (solid state) notebook would be the direction the industry would go in. Look at all the companies pushing their ultra portables now (HP, Dell, etc). I think the Foleo would have done better than Palm thinks.

I have high hopes for the Foleo II. Like Apple, Palm has a strong emphasis on the entire user experience. I think this is what will differentiate the Foleo II from the other competing products. The entire software and hardware synergy is where the Foleo II should deliver. Now if Apple makes an ultra portable...
    You are missing out the main feature of all these ultra-portables - x86 compatibility. That was the main problem with the foleo, and the main feature of these other devices.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I have high hopes for the Foleo II. Like Apple, Palm has a strong emphasis on the entire user experience. I think this is what will differentiate the Foleo II from the other competing products. The entire software and hardware synergy is where the Foleo II should deliver. Now if Apple makes an ultra portable...
    As if Palm really has a plan. The Foleo was everything for them - and it stunk. Now they're back to square one and the rest of the market is screaming by them so fast they can't seem to get back in the flow.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    You are missing out the main feature of all these ultra-portables - x86 compatibility. That was the main problem with the foleo, and the main feature of these other devices.

Surur
    Not to mention price....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The Foleo was everything for them - and it stunk.
    And if Palm keeps listening to bloggers, forumers and others, they will have more products that fall in this category.

Actually, the problem (I think) is, Palm has only one "live" product at any one point. Unlike Nokia or SE that has 1000s of models in every segment to choose from, even the high-end range(s). e.g., I wouldn't mind a Centro variant that has higher battery life (out of the box) or one that has some chrome on it or is slightly more curvy (like the 600), if you please.

theog>>
    Price is something that adjusts itself. I'm sure the Foleo would have hit around 300 USD quiet fast. The margins on these things are so high anyways.
    Game over!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    Why is x86 compatibility needed? I would rather see Palm use a low wattage ARM chip to make the battery last longer. The new low wattage offerings from AMD and Intel (Atom, etc) are a good start, but they are still going to take awhile until they can match the efficiency of the ARM chips.

IMO, the Foleo was never meant to be a laptop replacement, that is why x86 compatibility is not needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Actually, the problem (I think) is, Palm has only one "live" product at any one point. Unlike Nokia or SE that has 1000s of models in every segment to choose from, even the high-end range(s). e.g.,
    That theory just doesn't hold water. When Palm (i.e. Handspring) was innovative, they owned the converged device market...with one product! You think Steve Jobs is listening to your "1000s of models" silliness? Luckily for him, he's not. The marketplace wants a quality, functional device. Currently Palm is 0 for 2 in this regard for any of their products.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Why is x86 compatibility needed? I would rather see Palm use a low wattage ARM chip to make the battery last longer. The new low wattage offerings from AMD and Intel (Atom, etc) are a good start, but they are still going to take awhile until they can match the efficiency of the ARM chips.

IMO, the Foleo was never meant to be a laptop replacement, that is why x86 compatibility is not needed.
    If you dont think the Foleo was meant to be a laptop replacement, you cant project the potential success of the Foleo from the success of the laptop replacements such as the EeePC and the mininote. You should rather compare it to other failures like the pepper pad for example.

With x86 compatibility, its a cheap sub-notebook (which is a very unusual combination), great value for money, and sells very well.

Without its an overgrown PDA with limited software options, and as such is overpriced and sells poorly.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That theory just doesn't hold water. When Palm (i.e. Handspring) was innovative, they owned the converged device market...with one product! You think Steve Jobs is listening to your "1000s of models" silliness? Luckily for him, he's not. The marketplace wants a quality, functional device. Currently Palm is 0 for 2 in this regard for any of their products.
    Kupe, you have a point.

But the "market" is not stagnent. Even Apple has several iPod models to choose from, and at least two variants of the iPhone (do you really believe an 8GB "upgrade" is worth 100 USD?), with more to come. The market is more mature now, and can "hold" more variants (I hope I conveyed that right).

As for Steve Jobs, he's no doubt a genius and pioneer and has everything going for him. (Time magazine has reported some time ago that Apple is one top-rung company that does NO market research. Everything is Steve Job's vision). Not so with Palm... they have to make do with (no-doubt) highly skilled, intelligent and brilliant though slightly run-of-the-mill variety of CxOs...
    HP and Dell have more functionailty than the Foleo did. You don't necessarily need a smartphone to fully use one of those.

I will always say that what Foleo I did wrong was be far too limited in what you could use it for. If only they hadn't overdone that "smartphone companion" angle. Now Palm has to play catch-up AGAIN because they didn't get it right out of the gate AGAIN.

And the MacBook Air might be a hardware failure due to all the complaints I've been seeing about it, but they did put out something that was at least fully functional.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    theog>>
    Price is something that adjusts itself. I'm sure the Foleo would have hit around 300 USD quiet fast. The margins on these things are so high anyways.
    I understand that...

Fact is, it started out much too high.

Given what is out now, $300 would still be too much for the Foleo.

Hopefully they would have higher margins on Foleo than they do on Centro. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Kupe, you have a point.

But the "market" is not stagnent. Even Apple has several iPod models to choose from, and at least two variants of the iPhone (do you really believe an 8GB "upgrade" is worth 100 USD?), with more to come. The market is more mature now, and can "hold" more variants (I hope I conveyed that right).

As for Steve Jobs, he's no doubt a genius and pioneer and has everything going for him. (Time magazine has reported some time ago that Apple is one top-rung company that does NO market research. Everything is Steve Job's vision). Not so with Palm... they have to make do with (no-doubt) highly skilled, intelligent and brilliant though slightly run-of-the-mill variety of CxOs...
    True.... and actually you could think of the iphone as an extension of the ipod...

I'm no huge fan of apple (although, I do like their products and own a mac that I don't use much. lol)... but Steve J is a genius. From product to marketing... apple understands....

Problem with comparing apple with palm is that apple has an entire "ecosystem" around the iphone... and apple has other products.

Palm has... well, palm has... a dead pda market... centro... treo... and... well, that is it.

Palm sells the phone and that is it... iphone has the potential to get more from itunes.... Really no comparison.

Being a one-product company is never a good idea... unfortunately, the poster is right about nokia, samsung, etc getting into the market.... now google as well.

If things go bad for palm in the phone market (treo sales go far south) what will palm do? If apple sales ended tomorrow, what would apple do?

There is a huge difference.

Palm's been fairly lucky so far... have to hand it to them...