1.    #1  
    If Sony VGN-TZ2000 is selling at $499, will you buy the Asus Eee, Cloudbook etc.?

Link of Sony notebook: http://tinyurl.com/2fjerp
    No way... but Vista Business on 1.2 GHz processer even w/ 2GB memory is slow... for the most important activity in current times - web browsing.

And see how the price magically increases by more than USD 1000 with a speed increase from 1.2 to 1.33 and the SSD drive.

EDIT: I meant "No way I'd buy a EeePC instead of the Sony" NOT "No way I'd buy a Sony" But the price difference is just too much for it to be even considered...

Last edited by GreenHex; 04/26/2008 at 11:21 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Here are the two points that I would like to bring out:

1. Foleo is not a laptop or sub-notebook. It is another class of device, like Sony eBook Reader, Amazon ebook Reader etc. therefore we should not compare it to a sub-notebook. (Of course, I want more features to be added to Foleo and replace my notebook. Device used to replace notebook does not mean it is a notebook.)

2. People always say how great is Asus Eee PC. IMO, it is a low cost, poor built and under-power sub-notebook with a low price tag. The popular of Asus Eee PC is because of low price. That's why I asked the question to see whether my assumption (people buy because of price.) is correct.

Personally, I like the concept of Foleo but I found that it is unfair to compare it to a sub-notebook. When people talk about Asus Eee, they did not compare it to the standard sub-note, like Sony TZ series, Dell - D4xx series.

I do respective individuals have their own preference. If you do not agree with my post, please ignore it. I only want to voice out my opinion.
    I agree about the Foleo. One other thing... the Eee PC is a toy.

Now we have the Treo (PalmOS), the Eee PC (Linux) AND a laptop (Windows) to carry around - not to mention all the junk cables, adapters and stuff that go with it. The weakest in the chain - the most dispensible - among the three is the EeePC. People forget that the EeePC costs less, and MUCH less is what they get with it.

The main problem is not the hardware itself, but of seamlessly sharing data between them... imagine surfing the web and downloading a video or a PPT... now if only one could view these across devices without actually copying the data between these.

To some extent his problem is solved for email by using IMAP. And my Treo and PC get along well with Ultrasoft Money and Microsoft Money... but that's about it. Anything else is a big pain. Even simple things like Explorer bookmarks are a pain. One can't initiate a call or send SMS from the EeePC or laptop...

How about browsing the web on the Treo... and when things get interesing, switching on-the-fly to the laptop and continuing from there? Same with editing Word files... This is not going to happen soon. With the Foleo, maybe. but not sure.

Maybe it is time for that distributed OS or file system.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    The main problem is not the hardware itself, but of seamlessly sharing data between them... imagine surfing the web and downloading a video or a PPT... now if only one could view these across devices without actually copying the data between these.

To some extent his problem is solved for email by using IMAP. And my Treo and PC get along well with Ultrasoft Money and Microsoft Money... but that's about it. Anything else is a big pain. Even simple things like Explorer bookmarks are a pain. One can't initiate a call or send SMS from the EeePC or laptop...

How about browsing the web on the Treo... and when things get interesing, switching on-the-fly to the laptop and continuing from there? Same with editing Word files... This is not going to happen soon. With the Foleo, maybe. but not sure.

Maybe it is time for that distributed OS or file system.
    Do you remember the original concept of Foleo? (Please ignore the execution or implementation.)

The idea is the computer or laptop data sync and store in our mobile device. (both WM & POS can do it.) The data is available anytime, anywhere so long as the mobile device with us. When using Foleo, the Foleo is accessing the information and data stored in the mobile device. Whenever changes we made to be saved in our mobile device. When we access our computer or laptop, the modified files sync back to the computer. Does it make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Do you remember the original concept of Foleo? (Please ignore the execution or implementation.)

The idea is the computer or laptop data sync and store in our mobile device. (both WM & POS can do it.) The data is available anytime, anywhere so long as the mobile device with us. When using Foleo, the Foleo is accessing the information and data stored in the mobile device. Whenever changes we made to be saved in our mobile device. When we access our computer or laptop, the modified files sync back to the computer. Does it make sense?
    To quote myself from my previous post in this thread, "With the Foleo, maybe. but not sure."

And GFONG... I don't think anybody else is interested in this thread and I don't think they like people who don't like the EeePC.

if Palm still owned PalmSource, they would have been all over this category of devices. It would be the killer app of the Foleo.... the Palm Desktop and Hotsync i mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG
    2. People always say how great is Asus Eee PC. IMO, it is a low cost, poor built and under-power sub-notebook with a low price tag. The popular of Asus Eee PC is because of low price. That's why I asked the question to see whether my assumption (people buy because of price.) is correct.
    Close. The Eee PC is popular not just for its price, but for its price performance. You might also say price performance was the single biggest drawback of the Foleo.

Personally, I like the concept of Foleo but I found that it is unfair to compare it to a sub-notebook. When people talk about Asus Eee, they did not compare it to the standard sub-note, like Sony TZ series, Dell - D4xx series.
    You don't need to compare the Foleo to anything to come to the conclusion that it cost too much for what little you got. Palm should have known this long before the Foleo was announced. They tried to slip a replica of a 7-year-old OS into a subnotebook form factor and then sell it like it was a new idea. Silliness.

It all goes back to your first post in this thread. Of course any one of us would prefer a TZ over an Eee PC if they were the same price. It's all about the price performance. However, the likeliness of an $1800 computer selling for $400 (and in working condition) it pretty laughable.
    I have to disagree with some comments here. My Eee is my ONLY laptop. It does everything I NEED it to. I bought my Eee primarily for it's SIZE, not PRICE.

My Eee runs XP. I can even play The Sims 1 on it. I prefer the screen on the new 900s, but not enough to update now. When the xp version of the 900s starts selling, I think people will be amazed by the number of sales.

It does me little good to have a machine more powerful than can be used with my pdanet connection. I'm happy with most older games and programs that use a fraction of the power available to me.

I know there are people who need much more than the Eee as their main laptop, but there are just as many, if not more, who will not need more than the versions that will be out in the next year.

It will be fun to see how quickly a thinner, lighter version takes to be developed. I believe a thinner version of something like the 900 with Windows and a touch screen, will lead to people carrying around mini laptops like they do cell phones. People won't leave home without them. I believe we are on the verge of another computer revolution.