1.    #1  
    Dell is planning to release a 8.9 inch subnotebook within the next two quarters for under $499. It may include the Intel Atom processor.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/09/c...less-than-499/
  2.    #2  
    Engadget has more detailed info on Dell's netbooks.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/12/d...n-one-fell-sw/
    Wow, talk about a Johnny-come-lately to this market. I wonder what they add to this over crowded field to make them unique?
    I'll think hard if they come up with a color as blue as my 755p :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Wow, talk about a Johnny-come-lately to this market. I wonder what they add to this over crowded field to make them unique?
    Price, quality, name brand recognition?

Price. The cheapest model at $299 US includes a 4g SDD and 512m RAM, but no camera. Not sure how much more the "E Video +" will cost, with 1g RAM and 12g SDD. The EeePC 901 looks to be $599, and a similarly speced MSI Wind is $499 (sans Bluetooth and a HDD instead of a SDD). If Dell can hit a lower price point...

Quality. In the US at least Dell means quality while Asus is a generic no-name. MSI is even less known; and Acer is equated with cheap computers.

Brand Name. Ties in with quality arguement.
    Doesn't Asus have more products than just the EEE? Are you sure they're a no-name?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Doesn't Asus have more products than just the EEE? Are you sure they're a no-name?
    In the US, yes; ASUS is a no-name brand.

For the majority of the US the local computer store is a Best Buy, Circuit City, or WalMart. These stores do not carry ASUS products. yes the EeePC has entered Best Buy, but even that is mostly online only. I have never seen an ASUS laptop actually for sell in a brick-and-mortar store. I have only seen them available online.

Living in SoCal I have access to DIY stores that sell individual components, and even there I have only seen ASUS motherboards.

John and Jane Q Public living on Main Street USA will not have seen any product with a ASUS label, and if they have it would be a motherboard.

John and Jane will be familiar with Dell, HP and possibly even Acer.
    I looked at the slides on the engadget site. No mention if these puppies will have a CD/DVD combo drive. In theory, the 12" should have it, not sure about the 8.9" model.

Also curious about the hard drives. They look to be flash memory based and/or combo regular flash and Hard Disk. Any new news on this?
    Wow, what a large web site and number of locations for a no-name brand!! I knew I had heard of them before the EEE, although I was unaware of how wide-spread they are.

http://www.asus.com/
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    no name brand? i'm going to bet that it gets branded in the Dell way. afterall, look at what they did with Alien.

distribution is key
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I think they were referring to Asus as a no name brand.

Asus is a very well known brand if you deal with computer components. If you only deal with computers as a whole, then you likely have never heard of them except maybe on a video card driver which I don't think they brand their driver like that.

(Kinda like knowing the brand of lawnmower but not the manufacturer of the engine which is usually either a honda or a briggs and straton)
    I've seen the EEE in MicroCenter here in metro Atlanta... I think
    I have repeatedly seen Eees as Microcenter and Best Buy. I hear the staff trying to talk customers out of them, but they still cannot keep them in stock. Customers love them.