Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #1  
    Looks like Asus is going to release the second generation Eee PC with a form factor almost identical to the Foleo:

    http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/0...-on-video.html

    9" LCD, 1024x600 resolution;
    1GB RAM;
    12 GB Flash Hard Drive;
    at least a 900 mhz processor;

    All for a price at least as good as the Foleo was going to be priced at.

    Instant On:

    The Eee definitely does instant on, just not out of the box. You need to configure it to suspend when you close the lid or hit the power button. Once you do this, you have instant on. I can open my lid, hit the power button and the Eee jumps to life in under 5 seconds. My screen blinks about three times after I hit the power button, then the desktop pops up.

    The only catch here is that once the battery goes dead, you lose this instant-on ability; which if you remember was what happened with the Foleo as well. It is just that the Foleo has such a low end processor that the battery lasted for a really long time in suspend mode. My Eee will last just under 24hr in suspend without being hooked up to power.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  2. #2  
    For about $600... i would rather go with the rumored HP UMPC than this new 9incher from Asus...



    I would spend my "Foleo money" on that
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Looks like Asus is going to release the second generation Eee PC with a form factor almost identical to the Foleo:

    http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/0...-on-video.html

    9" LCD, 1024x600 resolution;
    1GB RAM;
    12 GB Flash Hard Drive;
    at least a 900 mhz processor;

    All for a price at least as good as the Foleo was going to be priced at.

    Instant On:

    The Eee definitely does instant on, just not out of the box. You need to configure it to suspend when you close the lid or hit the power button. Once you do this, you have instant on. I can open my lid, hit the power button and the Eee jumps to life in under 5 seconds. My screen blinks about three times after I hit the power button, then the desktop pops up.

    The only catch here is that once the battery goes dead, you lose this instant-on ability; which if you remember was what happened with the Foleo as well. It is just that the Foleo has such a low end processor that the battery lasted for a really long time in suspend mode. My Eee will last just under 24hr in suspend without being hooked up to power.
    Where'd you get the specs for that? The link you provided said only 8gb drive.

    If what you said is true though, it's starting to look really tempting. If only it had built-in bluetooth I'd really be drooling.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  4. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Where'd you get the specs for that? The link you provided said only 8gb drive.

    If what you said is true though, it's starting to look really tempting. If only it had built-in bluetooth I'd really be drooling.
    I've read reports of both 8gb and 12gb drive sizes. My guess is that Asus will release both. Here's about the best article I've seen and zdnet is a very reputable site:

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9362122,00.htm

    Agreed, that the Eee REALLY needs bluetooth. Seems strange they don't include it.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  5. #5  
    I've heard some Best Buy stores sometimes have them in stock. Check their website and use their store locater to see if they do or not at one near you.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  6. #6  
    I saw a guy with one. The screen really should be bigger, but it's also REALLY portable!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I saw a guy with one. The screen really should be bigger, but it's also REALLY portable!
    You'd be surprised at how usable the Eee is with its 7" screen. If you stick with the factory OS, all dialogs an apps have been optimized for the small screen. For 3/4 of what I use the Eee for, the screen really doesn't bother me. However, I switched the OS to Ubuntu, and the screen is more of an issue. Apps are fine, I just get annoyed because just about ever dialog is just a little to long vertically for the display. The OK/CANCEL, etc, buttons are just below the bottom of the screen. I get tired of holding down the ALT key and dragging the bottom of the dialog into view.

    I do agree with you though that the screen could be bigger. The Eee PC 900 is supposed to be out in about a month with a 9" screen, double the RAM, and double the SSD storage space. Battery life is supposed to be the same as the current Eee.

    I rarely use my Dell laptop at home anymore. 99% of the time I whip out my Eee because it is just so much more convenient to use.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  8. #8  
    I think the ASUS 9" eee PC and the HP 2133 are going to be extremely impressive devices.

    Personally, I'm more interested in the ASUS because of the SSD drive. I don't carry around a lot of music or video on my devices (got an MP3 player for that), but the instant-on ability would be really welcome. I am very much looking forward to its release. Specifically I want to see the performance of the SSD drive.

    One of the most interesting implementations I had seen was with the Raon Everun. They had a solution that included a 6GB SSD drive and a 60GB HDD. I thought this was genius. Put all the OS files and swap file on the SSD and use the larger HDD for the data files. Unfortunately, the controller card for that SSD was actually slower(!!) than the HDD. So that solution simply became pointless.

    But the idea of a small SSD for a device that is not media focused still has a lot of appeal to me.
  9. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    I think the ASUS 9" eee PC and the HP 2133 are going to be extremely impressive devices.

    Personally, I'm more interested in the ASUS because of the SSD drive. I don't carry around a lot of music or video on my devices (got an MP3 player for that), but the instant-on ability would be really welcome. I am very much looking forward to its release. Specifically I want to see the performance of the SSD drive.
    I'm really excited for the 9" Eee. The current Eee is nice, but the screen is just two short vertically for some dialogs, which can be a pain at times. I hope they don't kill the appeal of the Eee by increasing the cost too much when they release the Eee 901.

    Beyond the very fast bootup that the SSD provides, it's neat to work on a device with NO moving parts. The Eee does come stock with a CPU fan, but since the CPU is underclocked, one can safely disconnect it in about five minutes. Howto here: www.eeeuser.com Very nice working with a totally silent device.

    I have the 4GB Eee and the SSD is barely big enough. I'm running a slimmed down Ubuntu install and have just over 500MB of free disk space. Not alot of wiggle room. I would defiantly go with the 8GB or the new 12GB Eee. DO NOT even think about the 2GB Eee.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  10. #10  
    I still wonder how successful a 9" or even 10" eeePC would be if the price went up $200-300. I think the main reason why this has been successful is the PRICE. Once you up that, it may be different. If they come up with the bigger screen, and lower the price of the smaller ones, i assure you the cheaper version will sell more anyday.
  11. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I still wonder how successful a 9" or even 10" eeePC would be if the price went up $200-300. I think the main reason why this has been successful is the PRICE. Once you up that, it may be different. If they come up with the bigger screen, and lower the price of the smaller ones, i assure you the cheaper version will sell more anyday.
    I don't think $100 is going to hurt the popularity of this device, but $300 might. I'd probably still pay $600+ for a 9" Eee to get what the Eee has to offer. Sure, I could by a low end Toshiba laptop of the like for the same price, but I'm not wanting a cheap laptop, I'm wanting a the form factor, fast bootup, and simplicity that the Eee offers. What the Eee does, it does well.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    What the Eee does, it does well.
    Sounds like a tag line for another product we talk about here a lot I think a guy with initials EC said that

    Which brings up another point.... buy a 10" asus for $600 or a Foleo for $499?
  13. #13  
    Neither the EEE, EEE2 nor the 2133 has bluetooth.

    My plan right now is to get the 9" EEE PC and a bluetooth adopter or hardward mod a bt module in it.

    Both the first generation EEE and the forecoming 2133 have disgusting screen bezel. A big turn off for me.
  14. #14  
    I'm excited to see the number of UMPC options expanding so quickly. I currently have an ASUS 4GB 701, that just barely meets my needs. I'll probably stick with it, through this 1st round of new options and upgrade in about a year.

    I do not regret getting the 701. The past few months have been great and I've learned a LOT about computers I never would have learned if I hadn't been pushed to my max adapting a computer that was not quite what I needed.

    No regrets...but certainly VERY pleased about the better options coming out!
  15. #15  
    Very funny topic. Who'll gonna replace a never market-hit product such as Foleo?

    About the eee new product, I am quite disapointed with the PC2 price tag. I think Asus is doing something that is lessering the price advantages gap eee pc already ahead of its competitors.

    Consider high-tech products fast life cycle, prices should drop at least 30% after 10 months. A 9" LCD eee pc listed $400 is a very reasonable customer expectation. If they can't produced at the lower cost, they should not poduce it.

    Personally,however, I prefer a more compact size eee pc ,probably 1.5 "-2" smaller case but same 7" LCD size. If the smaller size eee pc hit the market, with the $200 or cheaper price tag , PDA and half of the existing 4"-7" competitors' UMPC will immediately executed. People will re-consider whether should buy a blackberry /treo/MotorQ/HTC just for email
  16. mikecc's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #16  
    That's right. There is no such thing as Foleo replacement. The Foleo never ever entered the market at all. No consumer has ever bought the Foleo, there is nothing to replace, period.

    Quote Originally Posted by tonylawhk View Post
    Very funny topic. Who'll gonna replace a never market-hit product such as Foleo?

    About the eee new product, I am quite disapointed with the PC2 price tag. I think Asus is doing something that is lessering the price advantages gap eee pc already ahead of its competitors.

    Consider high-tech products fast life cycle, prices should drop at least 30% after 10 months. A 9" LCD eee pc listed $400 is a very reasonable customer expectation. If they can't produced at the lower cost, they should not poduce it.

    Personally,however, I prefer a more compact size eee pc ,probably 1.5 "-2" smaller case but same 7" LCD size. If the smaller size eee pc hit the market, with the $200 or cheaper price tag , PDA and half of the existing 4"-7" competitors' UMPC will immediately executed. People will re-consider whether should buy a blackberry /treo/MotorQ/HTC just for email
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
  17. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylawhk View Post
    About the eee new product, I am quite disapointed with the PC2 price tag. I think Asus is doing something that is lessering the price advantages gap eee pc already ahead of its competitors.
    Let's wait to see what the actual price is once it hits the street. Even at $550-$600, I believe the Eee is going to continue to be a popular device.

    Given the current lineup of Eee, I would imagine that Asus will put out a lower end model of the 900, similar to the current Eee Surf for those who want the budget model.

    Right now, you can get a 2GB Eee for about $300 and an 8GB Eee for about $500. If the EEE2 12GB costs $600, then we'll likely have a EEE2 8GB for about $400. Seems reasonable to me.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  18. #18  
    I'm supposed to get my eee tomorrow (happy birthday to me) I've been reading through these 'unofficiall' eee threads with much anticipation....
    Vinnie
  19. #19  
    Recent reports state the EeePC 900 will be 499 US. XP with 8g SSD or Linux with 12g (or 20g?).

    I love my 701 EeePc, although the screen is a tad small. I will most likely get the 900 as soon as Costco gets them. Use my 701 as a Slingplayer on a 2nd TV.

    I was interested in the HP; however I own 3 DV6000 series laptops. All had to be shipped back to get WiFi repaired, now 2 are again without working WiFi. Pretty poor odds. Not sure if I would risk another HP.
  20. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Best Buy is selling an Asus Eee PC with Windows XP for $400. It's black, and the screen is 7'.

    This isn't the 900, right?


    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ci_sku=8643426
    Right
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions