Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been using my 8g EEE for about 3 weeks. I loaded Windows XP and Mcrosoft Office 2003 (Excelm Word and Powerpoint), The major goal with this mni laptop is to do note taking for business meetings and programs.
    The EEE has perforrmed adequately but I have begun to realize that the Foleo was probably the device I need.
    Here are my conclusions:

Size: The EEE is too small, the screen and keyboard are barely usable for long meetngs

Battery life: I'm still waiting for the 6 cell battery. I need to p;ug this unit in during the day to have it last the day.

Need instant on/off This is probably is the single biggest need for me, The EEE is not bad booting up in about 24 seconds. Then I need to boot Word which is another 12 seconds. Although this great for a PC it creates a problem on whether I should take the effort to boot it up for a short note entry. It just that later find its does short entries that are critical for program control.

Internet surfing: Screen resolution needs to be at a minimum 800x600. The current height is a problem when it cuts off many of the popup windows.

For these needs I feel the Foleo even in it's present form would have serve me better. I hope Palm does eventually come back with a retry.
    alanfujii...

I was just about to post in the other thread here: Why won't Palm enable WiFi!?!?! (see posts #11 to #19) that people are eventually going to tire of the EeePC... desipte what CountBuggula believes, that "EeePC is 10x the device the Foleo was going to be"
    The Eee PC does exactly what it was designed and what it is supposed to do. It has been mentioned elsewhere that the Eee is a small notebook computer whereas the Foleo was supposed to be a big PDA.
    I guess i wont be getting the Asus anytime soon Come on Palm give us the Foleo 2!
  5.    #5  
    I don't want to sound like I was trying to disparage the EEE. It is quite a quality product and very much worth the price. I was specifically talking about my particular need and how the EEE doesn't quite hit that mark. I realize that I'm in a small market group with a very narrow need but I do believe that Palm is targeting that need. I guess the real concern is whether there is enough of us to make it a worthwhile product.
  6. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I guess i wont be getting the Asus anytime soon Come on Palm give us the Foleo 2!
    Keep in mind that the Foleo was running a Treo type processor.... There is NO WAY it would have been able to handle an app like MS Office 2003 or Open Office otherwise Palm would have included that instead of Documents to Go.

Battery life is my biggest complaint of the EEE, however I understand this is going to change in a big way when the EEE version 2 comes out.

Ture instant on for a notebook just like we have on a Treo is somethign I've yet to see... EEE definately can't do it, perhaps Foleo could. However, Foleo was running some REALLY watered down apps that had small footprints. Let's see what happens with Foleo II.

Q
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    The Eee, using standby (which mine enters when I close the lid), is essentially an instant-on device (~3 seconds from button-push to screen on and functioning...10 more seconds for wifi connect).

The Eee's out-of-the-box battery life makes all-day standby a myth. Still, I regularly use the Eee for meetings (note-taking, presenting, reference), but find I need at least one 1-hour charging period to make it through a day full of meetings. I'm hoping the 6-hour battery takes up the slack.

However, the Eee's ability to run full up programs like Office will always make it, and computers like it, my #1 choice over the Foleo's anemic offerings in the same functional areas.
    The EEE just looks to much like a toy for me. Small screen would be a pain.
  9.    #9  
    Actually, the watered down programs were quite exceptable for me in the manner that I was using it. Documents to Go worked very well and provided just enough functionality to fulfill my need. The ability to take notes and have a program that handled the conversion on the Desktop back and forth to the corresponding Office product was acceptable. In fact for quite a while I was handling my need with a Treo and the foldable keyboard. The reason I stopped was 1) you looked like a real nerd unfolding a keyboard and sticking your phone on it 2) the screen was just too small. 3) the screen would shut off and I would have to tap it to revive it. INSTANT ON/OFF is the key for me. It makes a note taking tool very effective. If fact I think my ideal device would be a clamshell the size of a paperback book. You would open it with the screen and then unfold the full size keyboard. It would be linked with my Treo by bluetooth. Wi-Fi for independent surfing in the internet, runs all Palm software. I wold pay up to $600 for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanfujii View Post
    If fact I think my ideal device would be a clamshell the size of a paperback book. You would open it with the screen and then unfold the full size keyboard. It would be linked with my Treo by bluetooth. Wi-Fi for independent surfing in the internet, runs all Palm software. I wold pay up to $600 for it.
    Lets hope thats Foleo 2!

I think if the Foleo only had probably pivoting screen, touch screen (ala tablet style), processor fast enough for internet video, plus the ability to run Palm Programs, that would be perfect. Well Worth $600.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I'm seeing this!
    Graft a slightly overgrown and souped-up LifeDrive onto a Palm IR Folding Keyboard (in place of the cover/PDA stand) with a pivoting hinge, run Palm Linux on it, and there it is.
    I'd buy one.
    In fact, it's close to my current mobile computing setup (Nokia N800, bluetooth keyboard) but in a single, convenient package.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Actually, the watered down programs were quite exceptable for me in the manner that I was using it.
    Yeah, I took exception to the crappy watered down programs they were trying to get away with on the Foleo too. What a joke!

....oh, you meant acceptable? Totally different meaning!
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    INSTANT ON/OFF is the key for me. It makes a note taking tool very effective. If fact I think my ideal device would be a clamshell the size of a paperback book. You would open it with the screen and then unfold the full size keyboard. It would be linked with my Treo by bluetooth. Wi-Fi for independent surfing in the internet, runs all Palm software. I wold pay up to $600 for it.
    I couldn't agree more. Right now, I would say that the best hope in the short term rests with the forthcoming Intel MID devices that should become available in the middle of this year. It won't be what I'm hoping for, but it's in the right direction.

However, I am beginning to be a little more flexible with the instant-on issue. Before anyone agrees or disagrees with me, let me say this. Instant-On is a lot more involved than what it sounds like. For example, you can use the Nokia N800 as an example of an Instant-On device. For me, it is an ultimately unsatisfying experience. It's too underpowered. Same with the Foleo.

What moves closer to an ideal device? Maybe a Windows based device with a small SSD drive that could come out of sleep mode in 3 seconds and return to sleep mode in 3 seconds. For me, that would be acceptable. The other thing that is needed is a capacitive touch screen. Typical resistive touch passive digitizers are too poor for writing and typical active digitizers ruin what should be a flexible operating environment. In short, I wish to write with a pen and navigate with my finger. The Fujitsu U810 is an interesting form factor for the approach. Perhaps shrink the old HP TC1100 down. That would work as a form factor too.

I wonder how many of us there are who are looking for a device like this though. I think it would sell huge in the educational and corporate area (I am focused on the corporate area) but it still seems pretty far away. Give me a truly portable mobile OneNote platform and I'm there.
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13665

Anyone see this? I saw a video preview of this and was impressed... but vs the eee... I wonder, but the concept is really cool!!
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    This may be a 'good enough' solution for windows mobile devices. I hope there is the ability for something similar for Blackberry.

I still wish upon a star that Palm will make that clamshell TXish device that would be a worthy successor to the UX-50 and sell it for the Foleo price.

IMHO the Foleo wasn't overpriced - it was under featured
    I have been using EEE for 2 weeks. Take my advice, go ahead and try eee. Linus is a total brand new OS to me. But it is a really really good OS . There are tons of good and useful softwares for mobile using. If someone accept software such as netfront, brazer, documents to go, datebook, isilo... and think they are good. Then should be no reasons for not accepting openoffice, thunderbird, and many good stuffs for LINUS and stucking on those for Windows.

1.For the battery life, you can unplug the fans power connector/or using software control for another additional 2 hrs using. The CPU is set by the factory to run for 650 mhz only when they could for 900 mhz. Some folks even boost to the highest speed and still no problem.

2.Just fold the EEE and let it in standby mode, it won't eat for more than 10 minutes of power. Besides, it is very safe because of no moving parts.

3. It is not a Notebook or PC. Use it as a PDA, you will not compaint the 7" LCD, small the keyboard anymore.

4. EEE is so so so popular for its Hacking-friendly design :>.
    In Hongkong, some hackers price only USD45 for touch screen installed (incl materials). Some folks add GPS, 3G , blue tooth....anythings you can name it. Google eee pc + hack, you will find how interesting they are.

5. There are already 400,000 units EEE been sold and a critical mass of Linus OS in UMPC. Softwares will be continually booming.(Asus predict EEE will be sold for 4 Millions in year 2008.)

6. In such low price range, I could say it is a perfect machine.
    I am happy for Asus and its users...

The success it has been having though makes me sad for Palm. Foleo was hack friendly as well, and could have gotten a nice size community to get the hacking fever going. But no. Its Asus who's taking the spotlight.

I wonder how Jeff Hawkins feels about the Asus.
    i just got an eee.

i was carrying around a dell laptop, that was basically used as a movie player with web surfing the net. it rarely left my desk.

i got the eee to replace it.

it is so tiny, in a good way.
    I'm a hunt and ******, so the keyboard is fine. I still have to get used to it though.
    the screen is small, and fine. the only issue, as been mentioned, is when a dialog box is too big.

i was planing to use the eee with the included os, but I couldnt get my usb head phones to work, so it only lasted a day.

I installed xp sp2 on it and had over 2gb left on it. after installing all the patches, i only have 1 gig left, so i used a 16gb sd card to install portableapps.com programs.

there are eeeuser who use this laptop as their main laptop. im not ready to do that, but as a second device why not.

in xp, it does do 800 x 600, but by extending the screen down. i rather use it at 800 x 480.

because of the limited space on the 4gb device, you have to be proactive with xp. you have to del the windows patches files after you are done with them. I had to do this so that i could install the first set of patched after the xp install.

what i would like in the next version:
    more hard drive memory. I know they have an 8gig model now, but that is hard to come by. I dont even think they really need to go above 8gig. 8gig + sd card would be fine.
    a bigger screen. it should do 800 x 600 by default without the trick. 1024 x 800 would be assume.
    keep the price at 400.

i like it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    after installing all the patches, delete the contents of folder C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, should get you some space back. Oh and get a 2GB Ram chip and disable the page file, not expensive and very easy to do. You can then make a chunk of it a RAM drive, I use that for my firefox cache. Gets wiped on reboot.

Lots of tips all around. I've found I can have all my programs, which are really not many, but including Office, installed on the SSD with over 2GB free space.
    I am torned... I thought the foleo was a joke... yet am very curious by the eee.
    I WOULD consider it a pda... I love the concept of UMPC's but not at their current prices...

I am tempted but I may wait until April/June for their 2nd generation *the battery is my biggest concern): I'll either get that version or hope to SNAG a 1st generation for cheap!!
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast