Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems similar to Foleo. Did Apple take a cue from Palm?
    Foleo lives another day!! (in my opinion)

gosh $1800 for that?!

Go get yourself an Asus for 4x cheaper!

And i dont think this was a Foleo-like product... more of like a "recycled" macbook because it is a fully powered intel core duo 80gb laptop 13" screen... not enough to justify the price tag though... it is a beauty though.. but it will compete with your laptop for that space in your bag... sounds familiar...

pic:

Come on Palm! Your Turn!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bulls96; 01/15/2008 at 01:08 PM.
    3lbs. 5 hour battery life. 13" screen.
    They got some things very right.
  4.    #4  
    Another nice feature is "instant on," when you open the screen (no boot up).
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    bulls96 this is intended for MAC geeks & iphone users, not the $99 laptop win crowd, I'm sure with no optical drive and no replaceable battery, it will have it's naysayer's, but I remember the uproar when they removed the floppy drive from laptops, they apple evolve and move forward laughing all the way to the bank!
    If Palm had done the Foleo right the first time, they'd be in control! But now Apple will claim the victory(because you know how many people are quick to praise Apple, no matter what) unless this has major bugs.

The Foleo wasn't even known to the larger general public, but the Air is(ads already on Apple's site), so Apple will get the credit for an instant-on sub-notebook.

I was never a huge fan of the Foleo as you may know, but it bothers me that Palm allowed itself to fall through the cracks again.

P.S. I had to remove the first sentence, too inflammatory. I don't know if they truly intended to "borrow" Foleo features, but I'm still left with a bad taste in my mouth a bit.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/15/2008 at 05:54 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    bulls96 this is intended for MAC geeks & iphone users, not the $99 laptop win crowd, I'm sure with no optical drive and no replaceable battery, it will have it's naysayer's, but I remember the uproar when they removed the floppy drive from laptops, they apple evolve and move forward laughing all the way to the bank!

Yeah I am happy for the Apple fans... i know they are gushing.... i was just reacting in terms of the mass market appeal I was scared that Apple would bring out a solid state 12 inch very thin ultraportable that was to compete with the Asus laptops and all... The Foleo still has room to operate then..
    One drawback for the Foleo. This one allows software install even though it's through a shared drive on the other computer. They even offer an optional optical drive if you need it, and the first Foleo never had that option.

I seriously hope you can install software on Foleo 2 because the first one was limited.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    One drawback for the Foleo. This one allows software install even though it's through a shared drive on the other computer. They even offer an optional optical drive if you need it, and the first Foleo never had that option.

I seriously hope you can install software on Foleo 2 because the first one was limited.
    Their "Remote Drive" installation process is nothing but accessing another computer thru the network. I have been doing that forever with my Powerbook and Mac Mini. It shouldnt be that all difficult to do that on ANY computer on the network, including a FOleo.

In terms of competition, i think the Macbook Air will compete with the Sony's, Clie's and other "Expensive" ultraportables.... that is nowhere close to being a threat in the market of the Asus's and Foleos... for that i breathe a sigh of relief.
    Well one thing they never mentioned in that promo was syncing with your phone. But that "instant on" statement threw me. Sounds familiar. Although it may not be a "unique" concept, Foleo used it as a catch phrase.

OS X in general is "instant on"

It's still a full desktop OS that's on a UMPC. No matter how hard I try, I can't use a desktop OS (Windows or OS X) as a mobile platform. It just doesn't work that way.
    I have the first version of OS X and it does need to boot up from what I remember.

Not like Windows, but it still booted up.

P.S. In relation to the post below about OSX being always on, I shut the laptop down(as in shut off the power) every night. So it did have to boot up in my case, from what I remember.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/18/2008 at 08:04 AM.

I don't recall any mention of any "instant on" feature on this machine. It is running OSX right? So you dont shut this thing down?
    I thought Jobs was talking about the screen:

“The display is gorgeous,” Jobs said. "It’s an LED backlit display that’s instant-on."
    OS X is instant on in the sense that you can open and close the laptop and put it in and out of sleep mode. It does this very quickly. (2 seconds max for my MacBook Pro)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I don't recall any mention of any "instant on" feature on this machine. It is running OSX right? So you dont shut this thing down?
    Did you see the promo on Apple's site? The guy said something about the screen turning on instantly.

BTW, is this worth $1800? It seems a little like their old 12" Powerbook, and that was actually the same price range. I don't have an idea yet. Time will tell how many people jump at $1800.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/17/2008 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    OS X is instant on in the sense that you can open and close the laptop and put it in and out of sleep mode. It does this very quickly. (2 seconds max for my MacBook Pro)
    Right, but how is any of that different from Windows "Sleep" or "Standby" (the former takes longer to "turn on" while the latter is quite instant).

Difference being "instant on" will drain your battery faster than "turning off" the device. In other words, I don't see anything unique about this laptop over other Macs--it's still the same OS, hardrive (or optional SSD) etc. Having it "instant" will cost you in battery life, maybe not that much, but all that OS info is being held in RAM, which needs to be powered.

Foleo claimed an 8 hr battery life with wifi on and went past 12 with it off, but that had to do with the low-overhead for memory and processor.

IMO, these are very different beasts. I think bulls96 is right about it's actual competition--high end sub notebooks.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    Another nice feature is "instant on," when you open the screen (no boot up).
    I hadn't heard that the MacAir had that option. Are you sure?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Foleo claimed an 8 hr battery life with wifi on and went past 12 with it off, ...
    That's the first time I've heard THOSE numbers associated with Foleo. I'd think that'd be a HUGE selling point that would've been widely advertised (relatively speaking).
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    That's the first time I've heard THOSE numbers associated with Foleo. I'd think that'd be a HUGE selling point that would've been widely advertised (relatively speaking).
    Right, small correction. From Ben Combee (who was on the Foleo team):

It's just one battery module. Battery life is five hours plus with BT and WiFi on, better with them turned off, but I don't have any official numbers. I've used mine on a three hour plane ride with wireless off and had the battery drop from 90% to 70%, but screen brightness also affects this.
    So I was going off of that...

20% x ~3hrs = ~15 hrs

Of course I hedged that and said only 12 hours with Wifi/BT off to be a bit more prudent, but I would think even 10 hours would be very feasible if the above is accurate (and I have no reason to doubt Ben). I was off though with Wireless on, which is "five hours plus".

Since technically the Foleo is powered by a Treo processor (if I remember correctly), those numbers sort of make sense.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/17/2008 at 06:01 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast