Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    In addition to having no optical drive and no replaceable battery, it turns out the McBA only has 1 usb port, has no pcmcia card slot, no firewire port, no ethernet port, no 56k modem port, and no sd card slot.
    Yep kinda like a stripped out foleo
    It also can't use any USB 3g modems (directly that is, you'll need USB extension cord), it's quite slow (due to integrated graphics, slow FSB and of course the anemic processor).

Yeah, I'm going with: Apple out did Palm by releasing a quite crippled and even more over-priced email machine (but it sure is pretty!! oooo...)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    And people wonder why I think so highly of Apple...

I agree Malatesta. They can release a stripped down machine with a different take on integration at twice or even thrice the price of Palm's Foolio and it still blows away the competition.

How many different computers do you use Malatesta?
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    And people wonder why I think so highly of Apple...

I agree Malatesta. They can release a stripped down machine with a different take on integration at twice or even thrice the price of Palm's Foolio and it still blows away the competition.

How many different computers do you use Malatesta?
    At that price it SHOULD blow away the competition, but it only does so in limited respects (very). Just short of 3.5 hours of battery life with no power save features, high brightness, and continuous music? My Sony TX (and older model) with Vista can play DVDs longer than that.

4.5 hours total? Short of Apple's estimated 5 hours and very short of the TX's 10.

I dig the idea of an ultraportable device with somewhat reduced functionality to reduce size and cost, but if it's so stripped-down that I'd need to keep an eye on my power adapter, usb sd card reader, usb external ethernet port, usb firewire port, and, of course, usb multi-port hub... I'm not sure I've gotten the most bang for my buck.

In the MacAir's favor are the backlit keyboard (whose benefits I often wish for but whose power consumption is a concern), thinness, and having an operating system that, without even trying it, I'm confident blows Vista away.

But I've reverse-tweaked the heck outta Vista and, even without doing so, I doubt it's any less-responsive than an Eee or a RedFly or a Foleo (I)... except that you'll fall asleep waiting for a Vista machine to reboot. Thank goodness for "sleep" and "hibernation" modes.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    What did I miss? It says Archie got banned under his handle??

But about the Air, I don't like the fact that you probably can't use DSL or cable due to no ethernet. Bad deal for $1800 IMO! Guess I'd just have to get a Powerbook afterall.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What did I miss? It says Archie got banned under his handle??
    This I imagine.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    He's back!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    But about the Air, I don't like the fact that you probably can't use DSL or cable due to no ethernet.
    I thought the Air came with a USB-Ethernet dongle in the box.

But if your DSL or cable is connected to a WiFi router, you don't need the dongle.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTeeVee View Post
    I thought the Air came with a USB-Ethernet dongle in the box.

But if your DSL or cable is connected to a WiFi router, you don't need the dongle.
    It might, but then you run into Problem (B): you can't use your USB thumb drive or a mouse or any peripheral for that matter (CD drive, etc.).

Then your solution is to get a USB splitter, adding yet another accessory to carry around.

For some people, this is never an issue, for others it would be--it's all trade offs when you go thin: less battery, less power, less options, less of a device basically.

Maybe people should just exercise more so carrying a 4.5lb laptop is not that much heavier than a 3lb one? lol At this rate, we'll be the blimp people all carrying tiny gadgets.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    He's back!
    Sadly
    He's OK, just an Apple zealot. But then we also have MSFT zealots too, so it balances out.

On another note, I'm not sure relying mainly on wifi for a connection is the best thing for a laptop.

The MacAir has a lot going for it, I think. It's just not what *I* need and a big part of that is due to the fact that, imo, it couldn't/shouldn't be one's ONLY computer.

I'd rather not HAVE to have multiple computers (although I do). Foleo? Lacking such that I'd want a "real" laptop around. RedFly or whatever? Same thing.

My Sony TX probably doesn't perform as well as the MacAir, but it lasts a long time, is small enough and light enough to go anywhere, and can run just about anything I put in it - including cd's and dvd's.

It's the "wondering" that gets me. I don't want to just *hope* I don't want or need to use an optical drive or want or need to run software that's only Mac/PC-compatible, etc.

But for someone with just the right needs (ie what I assume to be a perkier processor, larger screen, backlit keyboard, Apple software, etc.) I'd imagine it's a Godsend.

More power to'em.
    So anyone here get one?

I'll be passing on this version. Maybe if they release another with all the ports. I'm sure they can figure out how to do it. Can't believe there's no ethernet and card slot! And at least 2 USB ports are necessary for travel IMO.

^ I like the design but don't care much for the limited feature set. Having said that, I do own a MacBook Pro and two other MacBook's in the family (along with a quad 8 core Mac Pro on a FedEx truck at the moment) and the laptops function tremdously. The MacBook Pro is an awesome machine and has most everything I could want in a laptop (bummed that I can't upgrade the graphics chip in this one as it's one of the first they introduced). I personally have had it with PC's (having built my last 3) as they all seem to go kaput after 3yrs (virus related in my case). Oh well, I'm happy with my Apple Computer products and that's all that matters to me!

Take care
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Yeah, the MacBook Pro rules!! Nothing missing on that whatsover!

Didn't they release a new one, or are about to?

^^ not sure my friend. what i do know is that the second iteration (faster cpu, better graphics card) was the one to own. tough to keep up as they say!

live and learn
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    So anyone here get one?
    That's what I was wondering. Six months later, what do you MBA owners think of it?
    I heard the battery was getting too hot, or something like that. Is that true? That would worry me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123