Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I hadn't heard that the MacAir had that option. Are you sure?
    That's what Steve Jobs said in his MacWorld keynote, when introducing the product. I haven't seen any literature mentioning it specifically. Also, I don't know if Steve was referring to the screen or the actual laptop itself.

Regarding less battery life than the Foleo, conceivably the Air's Intel Core 2 Duo's would use more power than whatever ARM the Foleo uses (Intel X-scale?). Also, although more uniformly lit, the Air's LED-backlit screen may potentially use more power than the Foleo screen.
    Hmmm... $1800 starting price for a notebook that:

- Does not have user replaceable battery
    - Does not have an ethernet port
    - Has only one USB port

If you need an ethernet port, you have to use a USB to ethernet adapter. The RAM is soldered onto the motherboard so you can't add / upgrade it. I think Apple claims that it's the thinnest notebook, but I'm pretty sure Sony's VAIO X505 is thinner, has more features, costs less and was available a couple of years ago.
    I'm a mac fan typing this on a new 17" MacPro, but the air is a waste of well, air. Take a look at the specs for the OLD sony Vaio it measures just 0.6 by 10.1 by 8.3 inches (HWD), making it one of the thinnest notebooks around, and an astonishing system weight of 1.8 pounds (Oh did I mention its over 4years old?). Now compare that to the air. Height: 0.76 inch Bigger then the Vaio, Width: 12.8 inches Bigger then the Vaio, Depth: 8.94 inches Bigger then the Vaio, Weight: 3.0 pounds WOW Much bigger then the Vaio. Even the Toshiba Portιgι R100 is better.

One thing though, as stated above that all you windows users don't seem to comprehend, OSX is virtually instant on and off, to and from sleep mode. ie: you just shut the lid and its off, open the lid and its on. I go days and days without actually shutting down.

Still doesn't excuse the air though, no wonder the stock price tanked this time.
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 01/18/2008 at 05:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    One thing though, as stated above that all you windows users don't seem to comprehend, OSX is virtually instant on and off, to and from sleep mode. ie: you just shut the lid and its off, open the lid and its on. I go days and days without actually shutting down.
    What's to understand?

Windows
    • Sleep = nearly instant, uses RAM + battery, no HDD spin
    • Hibernate = takes longer, no ram (HDD), no battery

In Windows you can set it to Sleep with Lid up/down and after X mins (user defined) it'll go to "Hibernate" to preserve battery.

OS X
    • Sleep = nearly instant, uses RAM + Battery, no HDD spin
    • Safe Sleep (hack) = takes longer, no RAM (HDD), no battery

So anyone have a real explanation as to the supposed difference are (I suggest: none) besides the snobbish (as usual) "...you windows users don't seem to comprehend" BS?

My 2.8lb $1,200 Windows laptop is the same: instant "on" and "off" but it holds the info in RAM, hence the speed. OSX is the exact same thing.

There is nothing unique to the Air in this regards, just Job's usual spin about the monitor being "instant" (whatever that means).
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/18/2008 at 04:35 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I have a question. Can you actually turn the Air off fully, power wise? Looks like a power button on the right side in the Apple promo video. If so, how long to boot back up from a full power down?

I think the Air is cool, just too much ing money!! $1200 might have gotten me to jump. This would be a good travel laptop if you don't want to haul a heavier Powerbook.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    besides the snobbish (as usual) "...you windows users don't seem to comprehend" BS?
    Sorry didn't mean to ruffle your feathers its just everytime I open my macbook around a windows user they express disbelief at the fact that its on so fast. Maybe they are all using 3.11 on their laptops? Who knows. from your response Vista and XP must be just as instant as OSX.

I am provided macbooks through work, so kinda have to use them if I had my choice? I think it would be a toss up between a Vaio and a Macbook?

Each op system has its strengths, usually familiarity is the biggest one just most people wont admit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I have a question. Can you actually turn the Air off fully, power wise? Looks like a power button on the right side in the Apple promo video. If so, how long to boot back up from a full power down?
    Its still just a macbook, so I'd imagine it would have to have a powerbutton, and the usual boot time. can't believe the battery thing???? Clearly mac thinks their products are disposable for most peoples.
    Steve will replace it for $500 probably, LOL! Or get you to buy the next model by the time the battery starts dying.

I wonder if it'll take off at that price though. Maybe they'll do an iPhone and drop the price by 30%, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Sorry didn't mean to ruffle your feathers its just everytime I open my macbook around a windows user they express disbelief at the fact that its on so fast. Maybe they are all using 3.11 on their laptops? Who knows. from your response Vista and XP must be just as instant as OSX.

I am provided macbooks through work, so kinda have to use them if I had my choice? I think it would be a toss up between a Vaio and a Macbook?

Each op system has its strengths, usually familiarity is the biggest one just most people wont admit it.
    lol, no offense taken. I personally don't have any fav OS and find both are very good at what they do, just depends on what you like. And no doubt, MS solves a lot of its inefficiency problems by passing it onto high end hardware, which is the easy but nasty way out, imo.

Vaio & Air are definite competitors. A Foleo and Air, not so much...

OS X
    • Sleep = nearly instant, uses RAM + Battery, no HDD spin
    • Safe Sleep (hack) = takes longer, no RAM (HDD), no battery
    Mac portable sleep modes:

• 0 (quick): Default sleep behavior on most Apple computers. RAM is still powered on while
    sleeping. Wake up is fast. Safe sleep is disabled.
    • 1 (deep): Hibernation behavior. System is totally shut down while sleeping. RAM contents
    are dumped to disk. Wake up is slow.
    • 3 (safe): Default behavior on Powerbook HD and later computers. RAM is still powered
    on while sleeping. Wake up is fast. Safe sleep is enabled, so RAM contents are
    also dumped to disk before going to sleep.
    • 5 (deep): Same as mode 1 for systems with encrypted virtual memory.
    • 7 (safe): Same as mode 3 for systems with encrypted virtual memory.

Easiest way to configure is with the widget from here:

http://deepsleep.free.fr/

Above info is from the same place. I think all current portables are mode 3 (safe sleep) by default now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Steve will replace it for $500 probably, LOL!
    MacBook Air battery replacements: $129, free install!
    I still think Palm is going the right direction with the Foleo. It was just too underpowered. The MacBook Air is nice, but it's still full computer with all the bells and whistles that I don't need while mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Mac portable sleep modes:

• 0 (quick): Default sleep behavior on most Apple computers. RAM is still powered on while
    sleeping. Wake up is fast. Safe sleep is disabled.
    • 1 (deep): Hibernation behavior. System is totally shut down while sleeping. RAM contents
    are dumped to disk. Wake up is slow.
    • 3 (safe): Default behavior on Powerbook HD and later computers. RAM is still powered
    on while sleeping. Wake up is fast. Safe sleep is enabled, so RAM contents are
    also dumped to disk before going to sleep.
    • 5 (deep): Same as mode 1 for systems with encrypted virtual memory.
    • 7 (safe): Same as mode 3 for systems with encrypted virtual memory.

Easiest way to configure is with the widget from here:

http://deepsleep.free.fr/

Above info is from the same place. I think all current portables are mode 3 (safe sleep) by default now.
    Vista has the cool feature where it would sleep and hibernate simultaneously, and after a few hours go into pure hibernate. That way if you come back in 2 hours it will be instant on, but if you come back in 3 days you will have to resume from hibernate but your battery wont be drained.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Vista has the cool feature where it would sleep and hibernate simultaneously, and after a few hours go into pure hibernate. That way if you come back in 2 hours it will be instant on, but if you come back in 3 days you will have to resume from hibernate but your battery wont be drained.

Surur
    actually, I'm pretty positive XP does this as well--at least I know my laptop does. It will also auto-hibernate if the battery level gets too low so you don't loose anything.

anyways, I'm still convinced there is 0 differences between OSx and Win XP/Vista in this regard...

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    actually, I'm pretty positive XP does this as well--at least I know my laptop does. It will also auto-hibernate if the battery level gets too low so you don't loose anything.
    My Sony Vaio (XP) laptop does that too.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    My Sony Vaio (XP) laptop does that too.
    Mine too, and my VAIO allows me to change quite a few settings (everyone should have that option) which allowed me to achieve the rumored 10hrs of battery life.

Obviously, the max power storage requires limited usage, but the fact that it's achievable says something... especially on an 11-inch Vista laptop with Bluetooth, a dual-layer dvd burner, etc.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Whenever I think about the diminished functionality of the TX series of Sony laptops (11-inch), when they're in super duper battery life mode (my name, not Sony's), I think about the fact that the Foleo and other similar devices have lower-level processors, not to mention smaller harddrives and missing optical drives.

From that perspective, knocking my processor down to 40% doesn't seem like such a big deal if I get so much back in-return.
    P.S. We need you to give up the use of your device for a few days while we perform the same maintenance you could do by yourself on pretty well every other laptop in existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    P.S. We need you to give up the use of your device for a few days while we perform the same maintenance you could do by yourself on pretty well every other laptop in existence.
    And, I'd imagine, you don't get to keep your old battery as a back-up. So, you can't have a spare battery with this notebook and you probably don't get to sell your old one to recoup the cost of a new battery.
    In addition to having no optical drive and no replaceable battery, it turns out the McBA only has 1 usb port, has no pcmcia card slot, no firewire port, no ethernet port, no 56k modem port, and no sd card slot.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast