1.    #1  
    Celio Corporation hopes to avoid the Palm Foleo’s fate with its new smart phone companion, which was designed to give Windows Mobile devices a larger screen and keyboard for surfing the Web, viewing and editing Office documents, and more. Unlike the Foleo, the 1.9-pound REDFLY doesn’t have its own processor or operating system; it syncs over USB or Bluetooth 2.0 with your smart phone and extends Windows Mobile to an 8-inch display. This device looks like it has potential, but the high price may give some pause.

Business users will like the built-in VGA port for putting on presentations with PowerPoint Mobile, as well as the up to 8 hours of battery life. You can even plug in USB drives to access files on the go. This clamshell should be available sometime in the first quarter for $499. The company told us that it was targeting enterprise users first, especially those who use sales force automation applications, but that it expects at least some cross-over with early adopters.

Now that you can get a full-fledged computer like the Eee PC for $399, the REDFLY might not fly with consumers, but we think it could make some waves in the business market if the synchronization works as promised. Stay tuned for a full interview with Celio later this week.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    As long as they dont expect to sell more than 1 to 2 thousand they will be OK

Surur
  3.    #3  
    what I really don't understad is:

"Unlike the Foleo, the 1.9-pound REDFLY doesn’t have its own processor or operating system..."

how can any device -- especially a semi computer-- not have its own processor or operating system ???
    Because it doesn't need it. The Celio is basically a external keyboard, battery, and monitor. Garnet as it is could not have done that (simply), hence what Foleo was trying to do. WM can support serveral resolutions, and so it would be merly a matter of a driver that is saying that "when the Celio is conneted make the screen show this resoltuion." After that, it would just be up to the smartphone itself to drive the package. And seriously, today almost any smartphone should be able to do that just fine.

Palm is a bit vidicated in this (and iMate's similar) announcement. But, this also shows a bit of why it looks bleak, until people get out of the idea of the laptop/PC being the center, and not the mobile as the center, ideas such as this will not be understood.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    waste of money to spend $499 on a keyboard and a screen... you could get a decent LCD and a PS3 with that money already...
  6. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Palm was on the right track with Foleo. Proof of this is the popularity of the Asus PC Eee. They did alot of things right IMO, but went wrong in that they went with a PDA level processor.

Palm likely had a rock sold product from an ergonomic standpoint and the effort they put into instant on. Lack of mainstream software support killed them.

This device is even at more of a lost than the Foleo.

Let's hope Palm keeps the Foleo I form factor and design, but moves to a mainstream hardware base with Foleo II.

For most mobile computing tasks, these ultra mobiles (specking of my Eee) are wonderful.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    This device is even at more of a lost than the Foleo.
    I agree to the extent that the utter absurdity of the price makes it look like Palm were cutting us a good deal with the Foleo. Both are targeting the same niche, people with too much money to care.

But, in principle, as an on-the-road travelling solution, this is actually exactly what I wanted the Foleo to be, i.e. a processor-less device. If one is working with a total computing system - like I imagine many EEE users are - of at least three units (EEE/SmartPhone/MainPC) the complexity of keeping everything in sync, and maintaining three potentially very diverse operating systems, raises up a few notches, not just one. That I can live without. Then again, if it's just for fun, around the house, well I guess syncing etc is of little consequence.

Of course, there's no reason why Palm or someone couldn't produce two different devices, to satisfy both of us, since we are looking at very different needs. Mine is basically an accessory, and the popularity of foldable keyboards, suggests it would be a very desired accessory.

I was interested to hear Antoine's explanation of why Garnet couldn't do what this one does though-- thanks!

cheers
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 01/03/2008 at 04:13 AM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    I was interested to hear Antoine's explanation of why Garnet couldn't do what this one does though-- thanks!
    Garnet doesn't do resolution jumps on the fly. I'm pretty sure that it would need to be seriosuly hacked to do so. Then add to that the programs that would have to grow on the device to support the additional resolution and multi-tasking capabilities. Garnet just wasn't made for this type of computing.

I am pretty sure that Palm OS II is, as well as ALP. Both Symbian and WM have no problem doing this type of situation right now.

So this Redfly thing made the internet rounds yesterday and we didn't post it because, well, we can't post *everything*. If you missed it, it's a “Smartphone Companion” that's designed to give you a full keyboard and a (relatively) expansive screen to work with when you're on the go. All your data lives on the smartphone. In shorts, it's darn close to filling the curious absence left in the wake of the Foleo cancellation.

Like we said, we weren't going to comment on it, but TreoCentral just weighed in on it, and that got us to thinking: It looks like the Redfly gets right what the Foleo got wrong in every aspect but one - price. What the Redfly appears to have gotten right is that the way to quickly construct a “mobile companion” *is* to make it just a “dummy terminal” to your smartphone. A glance at what little information is available seems to imply (though we're not sure!) that the Redfly is meant to work directly with Windows Mobile and to give WM a larger resolution (as in - hey, Windows Mobile, you know how you think you're working on a 240x320 device. Ignore that, we're bigger now).

*IF* that's how it works, then that's smart. It eliminates the need for complex synchronization software. However, if that's in fact how it works, then why on earth is it priced at $399? Gah! Anyhow, like the Foleo before it, we want this.

The REDFLY Mobile Companion is a sleek clamshell design that includes an 8“ display, a full function keyboard, and a touchpad mouse. Measuring just 1x6x9 inches and only 2 pounds, the REDFLY Mobile Companion offers over 8 hours of battery life and boots instantly! It also adds three new features - instant VGA output, access to USB flash drives, and the ability to charge your smartphone via USB.REDFLY is very unique - it changes the resolution of your smartphone display so that applications, web sites, email, and attachments all have more room to play!
    Read: treocentral.com >> Stories >> Commentary >> Redfly Mobile Companion Similar to Palm Foleo

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/re...eo_concep.html
    Assuming Hawkins reads tech news (for some reason, I think he doesn't, lol), he must be sooo pissed to see all of these other kids take his idea and run with it while he was basically grounded by the new parents at Palm.

It's a shame too, you wonder if they had delayed the original announcement of the Foleo long enough, Elevation might have still killed it but before the proverbial cat was let out of the bag, letting Palm refine the concept and release it in a more refined, cost effective and feature packed form.

Despite RedFly's faults, it's just a matter of time before someone really gets it right and Palm, who would have basically invented this device category, will be seen as having to catch up. I think that is a text book case of irony, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Assuming Hawkins reads tech news (for some reason, I think he doesn't, lol), he must be sooo pissed to see all of these other kids take his idea and run with it while he was basically grounded by the new parents at Palm.

It's a shame too, you wonder if they had delayed the original announcement of the Foleo long enough, Elevation might have still killed it but before the proverbial cat was let out of the bag, letting Palm refine the concept and release it in a more refined, cost effective and feature packed form.

Despite RedFly's faults, it's just a matter of time before someone really gets it right and Palm, who would have basically invented this device category, will be seen as having to catch up. I think that is a text book case of irony, lol.
    Well, I don;t know if he will find himself quite that mad. no one has shipped anything yet, and teh price point is still a sticky point. The idea is viable though, and in that he should feel quite vindicated.

This is a system where things need to work right and there needs to be no assumed consequences. Hawkins was on track, as is imate and Redfly, the question is not if, but when they will get it right if folks will be ready. From what I notice from lots of users, if shown it working, and just working right, they will have no problem catching onto this.

In this vein of thought, Palm could do this and do it right, but it depends on Palm Linux being done right in several areas. None of which I would assume are lost on old and current leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Given an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of work benches and an infinite amount of time, I am fully convinced they could produce the perfect mobile device.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Because it doesn't need it. The Celio is basically a external keyboard, battery, and monitor. Garnet as it is could not have done that (simply), hence what Foleo was trying to do. WM can support serveral resolutions, and so it would be merly a matter of a driver that is saying that "when the Celio is conneted make the screen show this resoltuion." After that, it would just be up to the smartphone itself to drive the package. And seriously, today almost any smartphone should be able to do that just fine.

Palm is a bit vidicated in this (and iMate's similar) announcement. But, this also shows a bit of why it looks bleak, until people get out of the idea of the laptop/PC being the center, and not the mobile as the center, ideas such as this will not be understood.
    interesting -- but I remain baffled that they would expect to sell such a gizmo for more than the EEE which has all of that -- and does more.

Except for battery life, and maybe a bigger screen -- what does it offer ?? (some of this applies to the Foleo too(2).

I can't see these "companion" slaves, which get their primary justification as an extention of a phone -- costing much more than those old folding keyboards once sold for. When a fully funtional laptop can be gotten for under $300, where can these parasitic campanions be priced at ??

Certainly closer to $200 than $600...
    What is the point of enlarging a pocket IE or reading a HTML email with full of links?

I am still thinking the Foleo concept is one of the best. The original idea is to sync all the PIM data from ALL phones and reformat it to a more readable format. The only drawback of Foleo is it cannot be worked standalone device. If the Foleo II can work independently and also work together with ALL phones, I don't see why it will fail, especially the EEE sales is so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    The only drawback of Foleo is it cannot be worked standalone device.
    Well that and underpowered processor, overpriced, painful shortage of 3rd party software, limited to a Palm OS phone, I'm sure I'm leaving out some of the other "only drawbacks" to the Foleo.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    The only drawback of Foleo is it cannot be worked standalone device.
    How so? I seem to recall from when I was using a Foleo that it could be used stand alone. The email application, in the revision that I saw it at, may have been dependent on the Treo, but that does not mean that the device wasn't stand-alone.

Anyway... Not too much that I am allowed to say, that isn't already known.

I am personally not super thrilled with the Celio "screen/keyboard" extension, but being a gadget freak, I am really interested to see where Celio goes with it.
    Last edited by dkirker; 01/06/2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added some more
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.