Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Asus is upping the sales forecast of the Eee PC by two thirds! This was a segment just ready to take off and instead of leading it, Palm played it safe and is now going to be playing catch up...

Asustek Computer expects to sell 5 million new Eee PCs globally next year, a senior company official said on Wednesday, up two-thirds from its previous sales forecast.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Palm played it smart. The Foleo was more expensive and had a lower feature set in key (to end users) areas. I wish they could have forseen this and made it better, as the idea still has a lot of vitality to it. But Asus has done well. They've made what MS's UMPC friend's couldn't (wouldn't?) and are doing very well.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    Palm played it safe and is now going to be playing catch up...
    Palm's Arm-based, anemic excuse for a device was playing catch up from the day it was announced. Palm saved themselves a major debacle by backing away from that albatross.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I think in this case, Palm was saved from getting a major egg in its face. The Asus Eee PC has a lot going for it. It's small and very expandable (through SD cards and USB devices) and hackable (Linux based, and supports XP out of the box). The price is just the icing on the cake.
    <A HREF="http://www.treotoday.net">Treo Today<A> - news, tips, tricks and more
    Quote Originally Posted by morituri View Post
    I think in this case, Palm was saved from getting a major egg in its face. The Asus Eee PC has a lot going for it. It's small and very expandable (through SD cards and USB devices) and hackable (Linux based, and supports XP out of the box). The price is just the icing on the cake.
    I think the major thing that ASus had going for it was its support for XP out of the box...

And the major downfall of the Foleo like said in this thread is its sorely lacking specs...

I would have still bought a Foleo over the Asus though... even over 10 eee PC's... i would have still gotten a Foleo

It just did what i wanted it to do... Web, email, PIMS, Music... and the form factor is over a hundred times better than Asus...

Although this says a lot about the market... it means even if your specs are low, as long as people saw that it did what they wanted it to do, give it a nice cute light form factor factor and a <$400 price tag, it will be a hit...

It shows the market is trending towards "specialized computing devices"... which sounds very much like the Foleo...
  6. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I would have still bought a Foleo over the Asus though... even over 10 eee PC's... i would have still gotten a Foleo
    You are very likely Foleo's biggest fan.

Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    It just did what i wanted it to do... Web, email, PIMS, Music... and the form factor is over a hundred times better than Asus...
    Eee does all of that and then some. The form factor difference is very minor. The Foleo was just over an inch wider than the Asus. I wouldn't call that hundreds of times better. The Asus keyboard is a bit small, but not all that difficult to get used to. After a week or so, I was typing just as fast on it as I do a full sized keyboard.

Actually, the Eee form factor is very nice. It is about the same size as a DVD case and can do most of what I typically do with my full sized notebook. As I see it, the ONLY thing the Foleo had on the Eee was a longer battery life. Asus sacrificed battery life to give us a better processor than what was in the Foleo.

You are knocking the Eee and you've not even tried it out. I absolutely couldn't be happier with my Eee. It is exactly everything I wanted the Foleo to be.

I can even tether it to my 755P for DUN. There's mod out there to install a bluetooth adapter to the internal PCI-e slot that I've been looking at.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    The Eee is selling well because of the price tag. I doubt if the Foleo could have done nearly as well with double the price tag of the Eee
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Thanks for the great comments. I posted it after having bought the Eee (a lolcatish photo). It is an awesome appliance, and definitely changes the game for what to expect from a notebook. It simply addresses the majority of my needs. Vista will just not cut it anymore- not for function, bloat, problems or price. Incidentally it comes with a Palm Pilot tool. So far everything I have attached- Treo, Logitech mouse, cards, external hd have all worked seemlessly. Each of these devices had issues with Vista that limited my productivity and took my time.
    Back to the Foleo, my disappointment in Palm is not that they pulled its release. It is that they failed to address the development issues- mostly in the posts above- so they could have released it. They went so safe on it's overall development that those of us who 'got it' ended up with nothing.
    Still, for all the great function of my new Eee, the Foleo had the preferable keyboard and larger screen. With the rubberized paint and waveform, I thought it was really in appliance category.
    These issues take some adjustment on the Eee if you're planning to get one. In a few months I might be as fast on this Eee as I am on my Treo keyboard but right now the synopses want to type like I'm on a full notebook...it's almost there, but the Foleo was in these regards. Lets hope Palm delivers for the present day of when the new Foleo comes out (so I can replace my Eee).
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    The Eee is selling well because of the price tag. I doubt if the Foleo could have done nearly as well with double the price tag of the Eee

Not sure what you mean by that. I paid $400 for my Eee and the Foleo was supposed to be sold for $450, so pretty much even money
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    another part of this is that the Foleo was coming from Palm a handheld oriented shop -- while the EEE PC came from Asus -- a computer centric company.

Asus brought to their design the features and capability wanted by notebook users -- while Palm was more trying to extend the Treo.

The Foleo was from inception chasing the wrong direction.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that. I paid $400 for my Eee and the Foleo was supposed to be sold for $450, so pretty much even money
    I thought it was $600 with a $100 mail in rebate? Did I miss something?

Besides, with Palm's track record on rebates it was pretty much just $600.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Kind of ironic that Asus is now an OEM/ODM for Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Sorry my bad and exaggeration. $400 vs $600. Anyway I think the Eee is good value for money and am tempted but I might hold till the 8 GB model comes out.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Palm's Arm-based, anemic excuse for a device was playing catch up from the day it was announced. Palm saved themselves a major debacle by backing away from that albatross.
    I agree...

I agree with the whole affordable umpc thing, they were on to something with that... but the foleo's features were a joke... and I honestly think the foleo fanboys would have grown tired of the devices shortcomings with in a months time...
    HTC Touch Pro
    I said the Foleo had too little for the money and quite a few fans didn't want to admit it was true then. I wonder what they think now myself.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Sorry my bad and exaggeration. $400 vs $600. Anyway I think the Eee is good value for money and am tempted but I might hold till the 8 GB model comes out.
    Not much to be gained with an 8GB model. The OS operates just fine with a 4GB flash drive and SD cards are really cheap. $39 will get you a 4GB card.

I'm hoping Eee generation 2 brings increased battery life and 20GB or so of Flash Drive space. Until the, the 4 GB model runs just fine.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I said the Foleo had too little for the money and quite a few fans didn't want to admit it was true then. I wonder what they think now myself.
    I can't speak for all Foleo fans, but for myself, I still think you and others are still missing the point. Yes Foleo was underpowered because it was a beefed up PDA instead of a scaled down PC, but all tradeoffs have advantages and disadvantages. Aside from instant-on, the Foleo would have had PDA-like battery life. If one's goal is to walk around all day with an electronic notepad and jot down meeting notes and zip off an email or two, then a PDA engine with 8-10 hours of battery life (and instant-on) is a much better solution. If the processing power of the Foleo was adequate for your usage profile, then the solution was better, (not to mention the more professional looking form factor). If your usage profile needs more compute activities or an even smaller form factor, then maybe the Eee is the ideal solution for you.
    "If one's goal is to walk around all day with an electronic notepad and jot down meeting notes and zip off an email or two, then a PDA engine with 8-10 hours of battery life (and instant-on) is a much better solution."

Any PDA phone left on stand-by will do that, making the Foleo an almost useless add-on, unless you have really bad eyesight and want to pay $500-$600 just for a bigger screen. Oh yeah, it supposedly was only going to work with a Treo at first, and MAYBE any WM phone(no one ever showed us that it could, however). But then doesn't the Treo have a note program available, email programs, and turns on from "power save"(meaning an instant-on of sorts) when you tap the screen? Plus can't you adjust font size so you can read it?

I will never think the Foleo I was a good value. I'll see what the new specs will be(if they ever get Foleo II out), then I may change my mind and consider the new one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

Any PDA phone left on stand-by will do that, making the Foleo an almost useless add-on, unless you have really bad eyesight and want to pay $500-$600 just for a bigger screen. Oh yeah, it supposedly was only going to work with a Treo at first, and MAYBE any WM phone(no one ever showed us that it could, however). But then doesn't the Treo have a note program available, email programs, and turns on from "power save"(meaning an instant-on of sorts) when you tap the screen? Plus can't you adjust font size so you can read it?

I will never think the Foleo I was a good value. I'll see what the new specs will be(if they ever get Foleo II out), then I may change my mind and consider the new one.
    It's not really the screen size so much as the ability to take notes in real-time on a full size keyboard vs the Treo keyboard. But you seem to think bad eyesight is an unusual thing and people with bad eyesight should be happy with a giant font that shows three letters at a time. What's wrong with those people !?!

Oh well, you expressed aloud your curiosity as to what people like me were thinking, and I admit I was curious if people like you would get it now that the frenzy had died down and there was nothing at all at stake. We both have our answers.
    I don't have 20/20 vision and I'm still not buying a screen for $500-$600! Which is basically all the Foleo I was good for, as limited as it was. Enlarged font on my phones are clear enough to read and they aren't 3 letters at a time!

Full size keyboards can also be bought for less than $500-$600. I know Palm was selling one at one time and I'm sure it wasn't that much!

I get the Foleo I; overpriced, watered down and almost useless for anything but a Treo add-on that costs even more than the Treo(if you got yours on contract)! Hopefully they'll do better on Foleo II.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast