Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't have 20/20 vision and I'm still not buying a screen for $500-$600! Which is basically all the Foleo I was good for, as limited as it was. Enlarged font on my phones are clear enough to read and they aren't 3 letters at a time!

Full size keyboards can also be bought for less than $500-$600. I know Palm was selling one at one time and I'm sure it wasn't that much!

I get the Foleo I; overpriced, watered down and almost useless for anything but a Treo add-on that costs even more than the Treo(if you got yours on contract)! Hopefully they'll do better on Foleo II.
    agreed.

Palm and Jeff Hawkins seemed to be inextricably drawn to return again and again to their PDA roots (Lifedrive etc.) well after their own Treo (and all the smartphones that came after it) made them moot.

BTW -- anandtech has a fairly detailed and harsh review of the EEE PC :

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3166
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    The Eee is selling well because of the price tag. I doubt if the Foleo could have done nearly as well with double the price tag of the Eee
    Double? Not from what I've heard.

The Eee price-tag jumped since it was first discussed on this forum. $399 at Best Buy.

I'm not paying that for a device with such limited battery life, decreased functionality and no optical drive - from Palm or Asus.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    In defense of the Asus, the specs for the Best Buy model are like a watered down laptop. The Foleo was not even in laptop range period, for it's price.

Although Best Buy was also selling a full laptop for $400, I'm guessing for the holidays. So that one was a way better deal than both, unless you really need a tiny size.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    remember, the asus was rumored to be in the $200 range when it was announced. Now this price seems to be going up.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    remember, the asus was rumored to be in the $200 range when it was announced. Now this price seems to be going up.
    Yes, it's doubled, which I find quite bothersome.

Unfortunately/fortunately, Eee supporters can always compare "not released at the predicted price-point" with "not released at all."

*shrugs*

At least a fair number of people seem pretty pleased with it, despite the 100% increase.
    Maybe that's because parts and labor may not be cheap and Asus wanted to make a profit. I don't know if all Eees sold have the Best Buy specs, but $200 might have been pushing it for that model. Maybe they could have sold it at $300, I don't know.

I don't own one, I'm just thinking that's why they couldn't meet the $200 mark. Parts, labor and unforseen overhead.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Maybe that's because parts and labor may not be cheap and Asus wanted to make a profit. I don't know if all Eees sold have the Best Buy specs, but $200 might have been pushing it for that model. Maybe they could have sold it at $300, I don't know.

I don't own one, I'm just thinking that's why they couldn't meet the $200 mark. Parts, labor and unforseen overhead.
    I'm sure they have great reasons (from one perspective or another) for doubling the price-tag, but not only would it **** me off as a consumer and annoy me after I saw that raggedy piece of crap in the early photos (luckily it looks much more solid, now), but it negates the main reason I even considered an Eee over the Foleo.

Again, Palm made things easier on Asus by canceling the Foleo, but the original shortcomings (from my perspective) of the Eee persist.

If both devices were available and I hadn't opted for the 11-inch Vaio, I think I'd go for the Foleo. Bluetooth's a biggie, for me, as was the 10-inch screen, supposedly simple DUN/syncing, longer battery life, etc.
    Is the 11" Vaio sold at Best Buy or Circuit City? I'd get that over both myself, since it's a real laptop. I always see 13.3".

Is the 11" Vaio sold at Best Buy or Circuit City? I'd get that over both myself, since it's a real laptop. I always see 13.3".
    I've never seen it at either. I got mine from a Sony Style store/factory outlet. CompUSA carries them, though.

One near me has two TX (older) models and two TZ models. The former are much cheaper than the latter. They also (the TX's) come with a two year warranty.

Not as cheap as the Eee, but I can get eight hours of battery life, burn dvd's, and install pretty much whatever I want - not to mention Bluetooth DUN'g.

I reinstalled my GPS software on it just the other day. Maybe there's some way to do this on an Eee, but I guess you'd have to use an external optical drive to do it.

No thanks.
    I just took a look at Sony Style. Looks like the 13.3" is almost $600 less than the 11", making a bigger screen a better deal. Weird, but that seems to be how Sony thinks.

Not only that but Best Buy has a decked out Toshiba for $1500. Of course it's heavier but that price can't be beat for the specs!

I just took a look at Sony Style. Looks like the 13.3" is almost $600 less than the 11", making a bigger screen a better deal. Weird, but that seems to be how Sony thinks.

Not only that but Best Buy has a decked out Toshiba for $1500. Of course it's heavier but that price can't be beat for the specs!
    It depends on which 11" you looked at as well as whether it was a refurbished unit (which is the way I went with an extended service plan), but yeah. That's the foundation of this 'movement,' I thought:

Smaller, lighter laptops cost much more than the larger ones. Foleo's and Eee's were the closest approximations to models like the Sony TX's and TZ's but without the hefty price tags.

Hitting the refurbs on sale - that's the way to go if you can swing it. Maybe the best tech purchase I've ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Double? Not from what I've heard.

The Eee price-tag jumped since it was first discussed on this forum. $399 at Best Buy.
    Perhaps if the dollar hadn't tanked so bad in the intervening 6 months the price might have been more stable.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Perhaps if the dollar hadn't tanked so bad in the intervening 6 months the price might have been more stable.
    LoL- You make a good point. Do we need any more proof the perfect Manchurian Candidate would be a bafoon connected to business interests?

Back to the Eee...I'd expect that the price is also effected by the lack of competition in what is essentially a new segment. The first one in will reap the rewards for a while- it's just business.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
  14. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    !
    I believe the 11" model uses a new display technology based on LEDs vs the standard LCD technology sure you pay a premium for the newer technology
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12