1.    #1  
    I wonder about the smaller screen on the Centro for my old eyes. The keyboard seems usable, but I want a bigger screen. Especially for videos and such, the 650 screen is small enough. If I have to go back to carrying 2 devices, maybe the T/X could be a new Palm Companion? Use it for where you need a larger screen, and the Centro (or a Palm Treo of your choice) for all else. It leaves you with SD compatibility with your digicam and other devices, and even adds Blazer and E-mail if you have wifi nearby. The only thing is, can you link it somehow with the Centro/Treo to exchange files, e-mail, internet connectivity? If somehow that could be made to work, the combination of a Palm smartphone & t/x would still be much smaller than the same smartphone and a Folio 1.0. Your thoughts??
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I don't know about the T/X, but I just picked up a Nokia N800 used, and for my purposes, its the perfect Palm companion. If you have trouble with smaller fonts though, you won't want that, because its 800x480 in a 4" screen.

(I also find it ridiculous how fast its 330mhz processor can render full versions of pages, not mobile ones, compared to how slow Blazer will load a much less appealling version of the site on its 312mhz processor.)
    Well if you have IMAP email then all changes are synced at the server. I am not sure the need to exchange any other files. Maybe you could bluetooth files back a forth. To keep everything in sync on both devices you'd have to hotsync both devices to the profile. That may work. I may consider doing that. Especially when I travel overseas. I just need a device with wifi so I can check emails, use web & make cheap calls with Skype. Hmmm... you got the wheels turnin!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    Well if you have IMAP email then all changes are synced at the server. I am not sure the need to exchange any other files. Maybe you could bluetooth files back a forth. To keep everything in sync on both devices you'd have to hotsync both devices to the profile. That may work. I may consider doing that. Especially when I travel overseas. I just need a device with wifi so I can check emails, use web & make cheap calls with Skype. Hmmm... you got the wheels turnin!
    Like I just mentioned, look at the N800. Runs Linux, tethers to the Treo using bluetooth, has Wifi, Skype, Gizmo, Rhapsody, Jabber, plus a browser that doesn't suck. The built-in email leaves a bit to be desired, but I know there's better email apps available for it.
    yeah you can't do voip on a tx because it doesn't support a microphone plug in or bluetooth headset. also I forgot there is no skype client for palm os. oh well...
  6.    #6  
    Maybe not Skype, but the bigger screen and real standard headphone jack would be great for Videos already converted to SD card. I took my 650 to a store, plugged my SD card into a T/x, and used TCPMC on my card to watch a movie on that same card. Looked Sweet!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    My friends there will only be one smartphone companion to our centros and treos... and they did not release it...

Hopefully the new Palm OS II will help us achieve that vision for our smartphones... A true companion is one which will let you sync your phone with it, and run similar apps, and more.
    The N800/N810 is a better Treo companion IMO. Its almost like its designed with the idea of filling the blanks in terms of owning a Treo.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    And today, Access just released a Garnet VM for the n800 as well, I haven't tried it out yet but that's pretty exciting to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    My friends there will only be one smartphone companion to our centros and treos... and they did not release it...

Hopefully the new Palm OS II will help us achieve that vision for our smartphones... A true companion is one which will let you sync your phone with it, and run similar apps, and more.
    Hmmm ... there may be yet another

Android is meant to be not only a phone OS but also a UMPC OS .... or possibly a 'phone companion' OS .... wouldn;t it be kicker is HTC and the other manufactures using Android start offring phone, companions, PDA, UMPC, notebooks, etc all using Android as the OS
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Hmmm ... there may be yet another

Android is meant to be not only a phone OS but also a UMPC OS .... or possibly a 'phone companion' OS .... wouldn;t it be kicker is HTC and the other manufactures using Android start offring phone, companions, PDA, UMPC, notebooks, etc all using Android as the OS

Actually what would be a definite killer is a Foleo type device with the iPhone OS on it... that would be a the bomb!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Yeah, the n800 is very nice. I was playing with one, the problem is that it cannot play high res (800x480), high bitrate video files (~1500kbps) (using Mplayer, with OS2008, running at 400mhz) it drops frames like crazy and is not even watchable.

I have a Centro overclocked from 312mhz to 520mhz and it plays the same video perfectly but of course the screen is tiny, thats why i was considering the n800 until I tried some videos on it.
    If it was possible to overclock the n800 to 500mhz+ then high res videos may play well.

Web browsing is very nice on the n800 though, its similar to being at a full desktop computer.
    How much is Nokia n800?
  14. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Actually what would be a definite killer is a Foleo type device with the iPhone OS on it... that would be a the bomb!
    Why do you say that? The iphone OS is basically a WM type version of OS X, designed specifically for REALLY small form factor devices. Putting an OS like this on a ultra-mobile notebook makes no sense.

Regular OS X makes sense, but who wants to spend $2k on an airbook.

Ubuntu, or a customized version thereof, is the OS to look out for on an ultra-mobile. I'm currently running Ubuntu on my EEE PC and love it.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by tbob19 View Post
    Yeah, the n800 is very nice. I was playing with one, the problem is that it cannot play high res (800x480), high bitrate video files (~1500kbps) (using Mplayer, with OS2008, running at 400mhz) it drops frames like crazy and is not even watchable.

I have a Centro overclocked from 312mhz to 520mhz and it plays the same video perfectly but of course the screen is tiny, thats why i was considering the n800 until I tried some videos on it.
    If it was possible to overclock the n800 to 500mhz+ then high res videos may play well.

Web browsing is very nice on the n800 though, its similar to being at a full desktop computer.
    I've found the same thing with my n800, its a great phone but useless at high res video - I mainly use it because of its ability to make such cheap calls through a native VoIP client.

I'd dread to think of the battery life if it were possible to overclock? Surely that would have quite a big impact?