Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.unwiredshow.tv/2007/10/31/14-asus-eee-pc/

a lot smaller than i though.

i dont like the black bevel, the 10" should be better.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Is there a model in the works without the black bevel?
  3.    #3  
    doc,

dont know, but the rumored 10" model should make it smaller if not get rid of it all together.
    Felipe
  4. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I ordered an Asus EEE PC. I was rather excited to try a solid state ultra-portable that didn't cost the better part of $3000. While I would prefer the 10" model, the 7" model is very usable.

I don't think the EEE is as instant-on as the Foleo was going to be, but it fires us VERY quickly. There really isn't a boot up. It just starts.

What's really great about this unit, beyond the size, is the UI. Asus really nailed the UI. It resembles in many ways the Palm UI. It is much more PDA like than PC like. If Foleo II is coming, then Palms needs to look really hard at what Asus did here. The early reactions about this interface were that it was the "Simple Interface" for novice users and kids. This is way off base. I find the default EEE UI to be extremely usable and efficient. While there are already hacks for the EEE to give one a traditional PC UI, it feel doing this would degrade the usability of this device. Someone made a website that emulates the UI here: http://honeypothack.com/eee/internet.htm It is an exact replication.

EEE comes with Firefox web browser, Thunderbird email client, Open Office, Pigeon IM (very good IM app with plugins for just about every IM out there), full Utube support, playback of typical video and audio formats, and several other apps. My understanding is that more apps will be coming soon.

The built-in wireless works like a champ. I connected to my home wifi without issue.

In the coming week or so, I am going to work to tether my Treo 755p to it.

I was a big supporter of the Foleo, but I really think the EEE (especially the 10" model when it releases) would have beat the Foleo on several fronts. Perhaps Palm sensed this and was one of the reasons it pulled the Foleo.

Update: The Asus EEE Operating System is a customized version of Xandros. Xandros is a Debian based OS that focuses on the desktop user. It is known for being very user friendly. More importantly, Debian is VERY solid Linux with a very powerful update system (i.e., apt) Debian is well supported and maintained. This isn't a custom cooked OS like Palm was trying to push, but a very mainstream OS.

Q
    Last edited by ~Q~; 11/04/2007 at 10:27 PM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Sounds intriguing Q. I'm hoping for the ability to upgrade to BT (either with a small USB dongle or by replacing the wifi card with a combo wifi/BT card) - once that happens, I'm all over this little wonder.
    Has anyone tried using the Asus eee pc with a treo as a modem? Any issues?

Also, I'd heard that it doesn't work well playing a DVD via an external DVD drive. Anyone else have issues playing a movie? Frankly, I can't understand why it would be a problem, since the reviews I've read say it streams internet video just fine.

One more question: has anyone tried to play a netflix "view it now" movie from the netflix website?
  7. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Sounds intriguing Q. I'm hoping for the ability to upgrade to BT (either with a small USB dongle or by replacing the wifi card with a combo wifi/BT card) - once that happens, I'm all over this little wonder.
    I suspect that power consumption played a roll in Asus' decision to not include bluetooth. Unlike the Foleo with its ARM processor, the EEE PC is running a 900Mhz Celeron processor. This is huge as it means the EEE could run any mainstream app with little or no modification. The trade-off is a more power hungry processor. Weighing the pros and cons of the two type of processors (ARM or Celeron), I feel Asus took the right path. While a 3.5 hr batterylife is about the min I would settle for in a notebook, this is only going to get better. By running with a Celeron, Asus provided a platform that will require little if any software maintenance on their part (less drivers and BIOS of course).

It is my understanding that the Asus EEE PC II is slated for the first half of 2008. Among other things, this unit will use the Merom Class Celeron Processor, bringing much lower power consumption over current Celerons. We'll see if Asus opts for more battery time or a few more extras like bluetooth. Perhaps this is why they are holding off on releasing the 10" model.

In any event, I have read of users successfully installing a bluetooth USB card.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 11/05/2007 at 11:42 AM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Thanks for the update Q. Regarding Asus' choice of the Celeron - I suspect it must have been a trade off on price/performance/power since they could have satisfied the power/performance challenge with a ULV CPU like the Intel A110 or similar chip. However, I'm just not familiar with the A110-class of chip price as compared to the venerable Celeron in the amounts Asus must purchase them in. Also, chip availability might have played a part. I can imagine that the Celerons are easier to come by in the marketplace right now compared to the A110.
  9.    #9  
    note book review did a more in depth review, they have some you tube videos up. one of them talks about how the asus works with wireless usb devices out of the box. did you know it comes with voice recognition, but you had to turn it on.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4044

this link shows some of the tweaks you can/should do, including installing xp.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4062

if they can get the 10" 8 gb model for $400 or less, i will be tempted. will need to know how it does handle dvd that were ripped.
    Felipe
  10. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Thanks for the update Q. Regarding Asus' choice of the Celeron - I suspect it must have been a trade off on price/performance/power since they could have satisfied the power/performance challenge with a ULV CPU like the Intel A110 or similar chip. However, I'm just not familiar with the A110-class of chip price as compared to the venerable Celeron in the amounts Asus must purchase them in. Also, chip availability might have played a part. I can imagine that the Celerons are easier to come by in the marketplace right now compared to the A110.
    The A110 is a REALLY new player on the block and reviews are mixed. Supply would most certainly be an issue. Maybe this will show up in a later iteration of the EEE. Right now, Celeron is doing just fine.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  11. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    if they can get the 10" 8 gb model for $400 or less, i will be tempted. will need to know how it does handle dvd that were ripped.
    The 7" model is very usable Don't get me wrong, I would love 3 more inches of screen space, but I do fine without it.

This unit gives me a real glimps of what the Foleo would have been and I honestly feel that it would have failed. I really was a big Foleo advocate, but I can now see several places Palm went wrong. The biggest of which is that they didn't base their OS on one that is already out and actively maintained. Asus EEE uses Xandros, which is just a few bells and whistles on top of Debian. Debian is arguably one of the best OSs on the planet. Palm went wrong in a very big way by not adopting a core like debian or redhat.

Yes I was a big Foleo advocate, but the Foleo did have many short comings. The Asus EEE PC just helped me to see some of them more clearly. I would love to see a Foleo II, and would very likely be in the cheering section for such a device, but Palm is really going to need to step up. The competition is currently defining the playing field. Palm had the opportunity to define the field, but they give it up.

I don't feel there would be much difference between the 4gb and 8gb models in terms of usability. Think of it much in the same way that you look at a Treo. Most power uses run with an SD card for data storage. Same holds true for the EEE except there are MANY more options for storage beyond an SD card.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    I agree. The Asus eeePC would have ripped the Foleo apart.

There are three elements that were better on the Foleo.

1] Foleo had Bluetooth 1.2 (designed for DUN)
    2] Foleo had a larger screen at 10.2" (eee PC is only 7") and correspondingly a larger keyboard.
    3] Foleo had a higher resolution (1024 X 600)

In every other way, the eeePC is a superior device at a lower price point than the Foleo. The one other issue that is different between the two is the instant-on functionality of the Foleo. It is absolutely a big deal. I won't minimize the significance of that. But when you look at the limitations of the software that was offered on the Foleo and the lack of depth in the browsing experience, I would be hard pressed to believe that anyone would sacrifice all of the additional functionality inherent to the eeePC because they could not accept the additional startup time.

Will the eeePC be a success? Maybe, maybe not. But I believe that as much as I would have liked to have seen the Foleo come to market, I absolutely am certain that the eeePC would have destroyed it.
  13. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    With a $40 bluetooth USB card, I'm right there with my EEE. However, I do agree that lack of bluetooth is an issue with the EEE PC. I believe this was a tradeoff that Asus took to give the unit more battery live. Asus EEE PC II is supposed to be sporting a CPU that will give it better battery life. Perhaps we'll see bluetooth.

2] Foleo had a larger screen at 10.2" (eee PC is only 7") and correspondingly a larger keyboard.
    A bigger screen would be very nice, but not essential. The 7" screen on the EEE PC definitely gets the job done. It isn't ideal, but very functional.

The keyboard is small, but likely not much smaller than the Foleo would have been. The "screen area" on the Asus EEE would easily fit a 10" screen if they lost the speakers.

That is part and parcel with the screen size, really. Don't get me wrong, I really wish the EEE screen was larger, but it is not a show stopper.

IMO, Asus beats Foleo in that it provides the hardware to support mainstream apps. Instant on, could have given a 1-2 second edge on the Asus... Worth giving up Firefox and full MS Office support via Open Office? Not likely.

The Asus EEE gives you the full blown version of Firefox and Open Office. These two alone blow Foleo out of the water.

I believe Asus already is a success. Did any of the Sony, Toshibia, or etc. ultra mobiles get headlines on Digg, ZDNet, and many others when they came out? Not even close. This device turning heads all over the place....

The Truth About MonaVie:
    I agree. The Asus eeePC would have ripped the Foleo apart.

There are three elements that were better on the Foleo.

In every other way, the eeePC is a superior device at a lower price point than the Foleo. The one other issue that is different between the two is the instant-on functionality of the Foleo. It is absolutely a big deal. I won't minimize the significance of that. But when you look at the limitations of the software that was offered on the Foleo and the lack of depth in the browsing experience, I would be hard pressed to believe that anyone would sacrifice all of the additional functionality inherent to the eeePC because they could not accept the additional startup time.

Will the eeePC be a success? Maybe, maybe not. But I believe that as much as I would have liked to have seen the Foleo come to market, I absolutely am certain that the eeePC would have destroyed it.
    I think there are two more major differences that Foleo had over the Eee:

1. For my money, the form factor of the Foleo was much nicer. The size, i.e. thin-ness, the color, the coating. Just a more professional industrial design

2. Battery life. This is really significant IMHO. We don't have good apples to apples comparison data but I hear people are seeing less than three hours on the Eee and I suspect people would have seen much more than 5 on the Foleo. It is the fundamental difference between a 300 MHz ARM and a 900 MHz Pentium. The longer battery life didn't come without sacrifice, but it is a fundamental and significant difference between the two.

FWIW, I agree whole heartedly that the Eee is a better machine for offering a standard OS, an uncompromised browsing and email experience, Open Office tools, and a nearly infinite supply of open source (and FREE) applications that can be downloaded depending on your needs. I really want to hold out for the A110 based version with a 10" screen, but I may not be able to help myself. The current model is calling me....
    Can you install some of the built in apps? Skype is big no-no here at the office. I'm assuming yes but I just want to confirm it.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Hi Q,
    Any chance you can run some PowerPoint or Impress presentations with animations and report back if they play well.

This was a down side to the Foleo for me. It would only do static slides.
    Thanks
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    Q~

It makes me smile that you're lovin' the EEE right now - I feel like we finally see eye to eye. I'm tempted to grab one myself if I could pull the money together...but I think I'll probably hold out for version II.
    Last edited by CountBuggula; 11/06/2007 at 01:43 PM.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  18. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    Hi Q,
    Any chance you can run some PowerPoint or Impress presentations with animations and report back if they play well.

This was a down side to the Foleo for me. It would only do static slides.
    Thanks
    This is more a function of Open Office than the Asus EEE, specifically. Open Office is known to be a little weak when it comes to power point files.

All of the power point presentations I have are basically static slide -- engineers don't tend to be creative after all. For the most part, my presentations look fine in Open Office on the EEE.

If you'd like to post something or email something to me, I'd be happy to try it.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  19. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Q~
    It makes me smile that you're lovin' the EEE right now - I feel like we finally see eye to eye. I'm tempted to grab one myself if I could pull the money together...but I think I'll probably hold out for version II.
    I was really itching for a compact solid state sub-notebook. What can I say.

While the EEE is definitely a more capable machine than what the Foleo was promising, it certainly is NOT a standard notebook. The very limited flash hard drive size (as far as I can tell, there is no way to upgrade or augment it) and a small screen mean that it would be difficult to run much more than what is already installed on this little guy. Out of the box, about 70% of the 4gb flash drive is taken up by the OS and provided apps.

I've heard of people loading XP on the EEE and having XP boot in like 10 seconds. I question how usable XP is with this 7" screen. One can get an idea by scaling back a standard XP box to 640x480. Not pretty nor very usable.

I believe the EEE would have really hurt Foleo sales had it been released. 3 hrs of battery life with the EEE vs 5+ hr with the Foleo is significant, but probably isn't significant enough to outweigh the better features provided by the EEE. Given that the Foleo was going to ship with a proprietary Linux distro and an ARM processor, it is unlikely Foleo would have ever effectively competed with the EEE on this front.

Build quality of the EEE is surprisingly good. Probably not as good as the Foleo, based on what people were saying about the Foleo. The EEE feels more solid than my fairly new Dell Latitude. I'm sure I could drop the EEE while walking and it wouldn't die -- not that I want to try it mind you.

I'm not on fire about the white color, but I'll live with it. The Foleo definitely looked a whole lot nicer.

Let's hope Palm looks at what Asus has done with the EEE when it thinks about Foleo II. Hardware and OS aside, Palm really needs to look at the PDA style UI that Asus created for the EEE. It is VERY efficient and easy to use, especially given the small screen. Makes sense really seeing how most people prefer the Palm OS interface over WM on a mobile device. .

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I've heard of people loading XP on the EEE and having XP boot in like 10 seconds. I question how usable XP is with this 7" screen. One can get an idea by scaling back a standard XP box to 640x480. Not pretty nor very usable.
    Different application for a different purpose, but people have been doing that kind of thing for a long time on similar hardware. XP wasn't really designed for that kind of screen, but there are several dashboards available for XP that make it more mobile-friendly (on a small screen, especially a touchscreen).
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast