Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    Have you figured out BT DUN on the eee with just a click of an icon? How about a connection to a BT mouse without having to open a terminal?

If you can post how to do those, then I would seriously consider switching back to the default os, I did like the layout and the super quick startup.
    I feel your pain, and this was very much the case until recently. The new version (7.10) of Ubuntu addresses many of these issues and makes bluetooth much more integrated and user-friendly. Is it perfect yet? Perhaps not, but it's a great step in the right direction.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    Have you figured out BT DUN on the eee with just a click of an icon? How about a connection to a BT mouse without having to open a terminal?

If you can post how to do those, then I would seriously consider switching back to the default os, I did like the layout and the super quick startup.
    I don't know about BT DUN without opening a terminal -- haven't tried it yet with my Treo 650. There are ways to create icons in easy mode which run scripts, though.

As for a BT mouse on startup - you can add items to the startup list in easy mode by following the instructions in

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:startupscript
    Omnigo 100 -> Palm III -> Cassiopeia -> Visor -> Jornada -> Palm m100 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Moto Q -> Treo 650 - > BB Curve
    Well, I finally got my 8g Eee PC. Here's my initial evaluation on whether this is better than the Foleo.

Size
    I actually like the size. Since this will not be my main computer, I want the ease of portability. It is probably the smallest you can go and remain useful. The keyboard is small. I'm a hunt and peck typist which is better suited for this type of keyboard. I can imagine for a touch typist it would be extremely tight. The screen size is not bad but there are the screens that have popups that get cutoff due to the 800x480. All in all it's very doable.

Construction
    I was impressed with the overall quality of the product. It appears to be very well built and solid feeling. There's nothing cheap feeling. Hinge is strong and firm, allowing you to set the angle any way you want.

Operation
    The boot time is very fast. Of course, I haven't as of yet added any new programs. I have been playing with the Linux system and although it loads fast there are a few things that I miss with XP. The Openoffice products seem to take quite a while to load. Probably not as long as I think since the initial boot is so fast. I have to admit I will probably load XP. There are some programs that I would like to have. The problem that comes up though is this will not be an instant on/off device. Since I will use this mainly as a note taken unit, it's a very big thing for me. I would favor the Foleo for this function only.

Battery Life
    Battery life is okay. I will go for the extended battery when/if it comes available. I got a little over 21/2 hours. Of course I haven't done any of the power saving options yet.

Conclusion
    I'll know more when I get XP loaded and stripped down. If the boot time can be kept down then I'll use this and replace my Dana. There's a balance on this time factor that will be interesting. I'll really see how important "instant on" is. I guess I still would have bought the Foleo even at a higher cost but unfortunately, I believe I'm in a smaller group that can't financially support what Palm really needs to have in order to make money. I think ASUS has something that is more marketable. It's funny though, if you read the Eee forum you can see where the market will drive that product, where there will be pressure to provide more and more till it turns out to be a me-too mini laptop.
    If you are going to install XP, it's good you have an 8 GB. There are programs that run better on the same drive as the OS and also the write speed is better on the main drive. I have a 4 GB with two thumb drives and it takes forever to install apps on them.

I have short, girl fingers so I touch type BETTER on small keyboards than regular ones.

If start up time is critical to you, find some XP books and websites that address this issue. There is MUCH you can do to shave off substantial time, BUT it removes a LOT of dummy protection.

After you install XP, download a free version of Winmover for the popups that do not fit on the screen.

It's not perfect, but I love my Eee more every day!! :-) I have never loved a computer so much. It does everything I need it to do. It is certainly not the right choice for many other people though.

Enjoy your new purchase :-)
  5. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Behold eeeXubuntu! Some fine folks are repackaging Ubuntu (well Xubuntu technically, which is designed for slower hardware anyway) with all sorts of tweaks to make it Eee friendly. If I had an Eee, I'd defenitly check it out. I know Q will want to, as it addresses most of the gripes he had with running Ubuntu on the Eee.
    Actually not all of my grips. I think eeexubuntu is good start, but has a ways to go. Things I don't like:

1. WHY XUBUNTU? Xubuntu is make for machines with old hardware. The eee has a pretty good processor and can be easily upgraded to 2GB RAM. Except for limited drive space, the Eee has about the same horsepower as mid-range notebooks. There is no reason not to run Ubuntu on the eee and take advantage of the MUCH better GUI. Xubuntu buys you a bit more free hard drive space, but not much. I'd much rather have a stripped down Ubuntu implementation. Sorry, but I think the eeexubuntu guys screwed up on this point.

2. Bootup time is way to long. eeexubuntu needs to use the approach used by the version of xandros running on the eee.

3. Many of the apps in eeexubuntu aren't optimized for the small screen of the eee like Xandros has done.

I'm going to pass on Xubuntu and and wait for someone to configure Ubuntu for the Eee.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    xp is running amazingly well on my EEE pc, boots up very quickly and is as responsive as my everyday 1.6GHz laptop. Considering this thing runs at 630mhz (underclocked by bios as default), it's pretty impressive.

The saying goes that your PC is as fast as its slowest component, and it does seem the hard drive has been stifling speeds for years. I can't wait to SSD-up all of my machines, if only to have my Windows & Program Files installations on it.

Love the small size, screen is no problem except for the occasional scroll in certain web pages. I'm using XP Pro and am only using 1GB of storage (no office yet), used nLite to strip down the installation, running CCleaner to keep it clean, disabled pagefile (i have 2GB of RAM) and using UPX4PC to compress executables and DLLs because I'm on FAT32.
    For some reason, i put the black eee PC on my wishlist in Buy.com
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    For some reason, i put the black eee PC on my wishlist in Buy.com
    You've come to the dark side......

Buy it, you won't be sorry. I now have three and love them.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    You've come to the dark side......

Buy it, you won't be sorry. I now have three and love them.
    Not just yet... My powerbook is still running
    Q, why do you have 3 of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    He couldn't justify/afford/convince his spouse/convince himself to get 4?
  12. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    One each for my two teenage daughters in addition to my own. Now my wife's wanting one.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Okay :-) If you had said "we" instead of "I", I would have understood :-)

I thought maybe you had updated to black and then updated again to an 8GB, and then I was going to have to tease you. But wait...did you really do this? ;-) And just have been giving your girls your hand me downs as an excuse to update without your wife yelling at you?

I'm just teasing you Q, honest! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I ordered mine from directron.com. Newegg.com is also a popular place to get the Eee. Directron is probably more likely to have units in stock.
    Can you give your opinion on the service at directron? I am either going to get one from them or Newegg. I have dealt with Newegg before, but I have never heard of Directron. I am going for the 4g model, not the surf. Thanks.

Also, have you had any problems connecting to secured wireless networks? I read a negative review and that was a complaint. That and the battery running down in a day when not in use.
    I picked up two Eee PCs from Costco.com. Costco's 90-day, no questions asked return policy can't be beat (buy online, return at store).

US only (?), requires Costco membership.

I would also recommend picking up a 2g memory stick and a 16g SDHC card from New Egg. Both can be had for around $120, shipped.

btw - My wife loves her XP EeePC and I couldn't be more pleased with my Ubuntu EeePC.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I've just seen the Eee PC in the flesh today and it looks fantastic!
    Quick (stupid) question for those with this device. Re the Docs and Spreadsheets applications, when it opens existing word or excel files do you have the normal functionality when editing? And if you create a Docs or Spreadsheet file, can they be opened straight in word/excel?
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
  17.    #177  
    i dont have one, but it is my understanding that it comes with open office.

open office can be set up to save as an ms file by default.

what i dont remember, is what is the latest version that they will save to.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Hi Folks.
    As much as I wanted to get one as soon as it came out, I held out for the 8GB model. $500 is a bit more than had initially planned 6 months ago but I see the benefit of spending the extra cash for the upgrades.

I spent some time with the default OS, and I have to say it's done very well. Seriously for most people who want to do web/email/docs/IM, you can do it all right out of the box. I certainly see how this interface is very kid friendly and why this would make a good 'laptop' for a youngster.

However, my interests take me beyond that and I went a head and installed Windows XP. With 1GB RAM and 8GB storage, that wasn't even a stretch.
    I didn't even slim down the install with nLine. Just did a normal default install.
    Installing the drivers was a cinch. The DVD that comes with it has an app that loads all of the drivers for you.
    There was a bit of a trick to installing the sound card drivers since I was running XP Service Pack 3 (release candidate) because the driver installer is only SP1 and SP2 aware.
    XP takes up about 1.6 GB. With Office installed with "minimal install" it's just about 2GB. I have all kinds of stuff installed by now and I have about 5GB free.

How's XP?
    It boots very fast. It helps that I don't load up the OS with tons of startup crapplets, but regardless it does boot very quickly. I don't feel like I have to use standby just to get that quick on nearly as much as my normal laptop.
    Hibernate mode, which you don't want to use because it sucks up 1GB of your valuable storage space, is extremely slow. Writing the RAM out the SSD is painfully slow. But the read speed on the SSD is very fast and it comes out of Hybernate quickly.

Occasionally I get a slowdown as I presume the OS is writing to the storage, or the processor gets taxed. But the CPU does keep up very well and I rarely notice anything that make me feel like it's underpowered.

The down side to this is the screen resolution. 800x480 is cramped for windows. Using 800x600 in scrolling mode alleviates most of the pain. Web browsing at 800 pixels wide is a bit cramped. If you use Opera or IE that lets you scale pages, this takes care of most of that. But Firefox doesn't have this feature.
    I find running it in 1024x768 mode, I can pan the page to where the 800x480 screen centers on the web page content just right and it works well.
    Still, for windows, I'd almost recommend waiting for EEE PCs with larger res screens if you can.

Physical:
    The thing gets warm. I worry about ventilation on the bottom if it's sitting on a lap. Not sure if that's something I need to worry about.
    The cpu fan seems noisy in a quiet room, but really I can't hear it most of the time.
    The keyboard is tiny. It takes a lot of getting used to since it's not full size.
    The touch pad works pretty well.

Over all I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I like the EEE PC.

Fine final note:
    I was one of the lucky ones that got to beta test the Palm Foleo for about 6 weeks until the project was canceled.
    That experience taught me the value of an ultra portable laptop like device and I went through withdrawals when I had to send it back.

The EEE PC is a perfect replacement to fill that void. I'm very pleased with this device.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Fine final note:
    I was one of the lucky ones that got to beta test the Palm Foleo for about 6 weeks until the project was canceled.
    That experience taught me the value of an ultra portable laptop like device and I went through withdrawals when I had to send it back.

The EEE PC is a perfect replacement to fill that void. I'm very pleased with this device.
    Interesting...
    If the Foleo came out today, would you have bought it instead of the Asus?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Interesting...
    If the Foleo came out today, would you have bought it instead of the Asus?
    For a number of reasons, no. I find the EEE PC to be more useful and less limiting than the Foleo. The Foleo was very nice in a few ways but it was simply too limited.