Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    I haven't tried a stripped down version of XP yet, as I need to first learn exactly what the parts are, before I can decide whether I want them or not.

For example, I need to be able to type in ancient Greek, but many other people will just delete all or much of the foreign language input capabilities. It's all a personal decision what parts of XP are lited out.

Remember my 10 second start up, is for a FULL install AND without the quick startup hacks. The quick startup hacks do things like skip loading the Asus screen, and to not bother checking all drives before the C drive. The quick startup hacks don't do anything to performance, just are not dummy proof and you need to know how to change a setting if there is a malfunction in an unusual situation.

Also make sure to turn off anything that that automatically loads on startup.

Before someone can decide they are an XP fan or not, they first need to learn to power use it. It can be tweaked to a large variety of machines. It's just that the default settings are not appropriate for many UMPCs and that some factories load crap onto the machine as well, that have NOTHING to do with XP.

Look for XP books with "hack", "speed" and "clean" in the titles. They have essential information for running XP on a machine with small storage and memory.

Soon I'm going to have to install XP again. Something got really messed up after I tried installing an application to a stick rather than the C drive, and reverting to a recent backup didn't fix it. I really need to learn more about installing to external drives. The nice thing about the portable apps is that they are MEANT to be run off the sticks. If you screw up your OS, you can just reinstall it and all your apps are still installed, even the settings.
  2. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerpa View Post
    I have followed the directions and I seem to get stuck right here:

At the bash shell, issue the command: mv ppp-script-evdo-template /etc/ppp/peers/ppp-script-treo

I get this error: cannot move 'ppp-script-evdo-template' to '/etc/ppp/peers/ppp-script-treo': permission denied
    Put "sudo" in front of that command: sudo mv ppp-script-evdo-template /etc/ppp/peers/ppp-script-treo

sudo tell Linux you want to do what ever follows that command as the administrator.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  3. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Is this the version that is not for sale to the average consumer?
    Try google.com. The following shows up at the very first result:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/embedded/aa714410.aspx
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  4. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I
    No reflection on Q or anyone else kind enough to try to help other users, but it illuminates the line that separates those who would be satisfied with the Eee from those who would not.
    None taken.

I disagree with your statement here. I do agree that the steps I provided are not for a person wanting a turnkey solution. Really, this procedure is NO different that getting the DUN hack going, which took me several attempts.

If a developer were to take the DUN app I suggested and rolled it into a package for the Eee with an ICON to simply click to make a connection, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Give the developers time to get their hands around this product.

All of those who are dumping the default OS for XP aren't giving it a chance. Is your Palm OS TREO like Windows? Not even close, yet you didn't dump it for a windows mobile device. The Eee default OS is very powerful and easy to use, but simply DIFFERENT from what users are used to setting on a notebook. At least give it some time and TRY to learn it.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  5. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    quote:
    Example: - At the bash propt (i.e., /home/user) type in the command: sudo modprobe visor
    unquote:
    now, how in the world would I know to type in that - and for that matter, what does it mean? I am sure it is clear to a linux guru, but is greek to me even after 20 years of using computers.

no offense intended, just trying to explain why I don't think anything Linux is for the masses.
    RJ
    You are over dramatizing this. Linux is more technical in nature than Windows, but this doesn't mean you need to know what all of these commands mean. It would be very easy to the DUN app into a package for the Eee that would require that you only click an icon to make a connection.

Look at the current tools on the Eee and show me one that isn't as turnkey as anything you'd find on windows.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    None taken.

I disagree with your statement here. I do agree that the steps I provided are not for a person wanting a turnkey solution. Really, this procedure is NO different that getting the DUN hack going, which took me several attempts.

If a developer were to take the DUN app I suggested and rolled it into a package for the Eee with an ICON to simply click to make a connection, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

All of those who are dumping the default OS for XP aren't giving it a chance. Is your Palm OS TREO like Windows? Not even close, yet you didn't dump it for a windows mobile device. The Eee default OS is very powerful and easy to use, but simply DIFFERENT from what users are used to setting on a notebook. At least give it some time and TRY to learn it.
    The default OS is great, but it wasn't for me, I got tired of trying to figure out how too or what to do to get a program working on it. Now for someone who knows what there doing, then its great. I could probably learn it, but I don't want to take the time to research it, and play with it, or mess it up because I didn't type something in right. As for the Treo Palm Os Vs Windows, both are easy to use. You don't have to do psudo or anything else to get it going. There's also programs that are made for both (Windows OS or Palm OS) that you can download to the Treo to add functionality that are easy and simple to get too or find and get straight to the point. If one is not familiar with Linux, they wouldn't know what to type or what to do to get it going. There is a learning curve for linux.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  7. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    The default OS is great, but it wasn't for me, I got tired of trying to figure out how too or what to do to get a program working on it. Now for someone who knows what there doing, then its great. I could probably learn it, but I don't want to take the time to research it, and play with it, or mess it up because I didn't type something in right. As for the Treo Palm Os Vs Windows, both are easy to use. You don't have to do psudo or anything else to get it going. There's also programs that are made for both (Windows OS or Palm OS) that you can download to the Treo to add functionality that are easy and simple to get too or find and get straight to the point. If one is not familiar with Linux, they wouldn't know what to type or what to do to get it going. There is a learning curve for linux.
    I'm shaking my head in confusion because I've never seen a desktop UI closer to the look and feel of the Palm OS UI as what the Eee provides.

I guess this is a prime example of why Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company. Other OSs have no hope of competing when users get confused when the UI doesn't look exactly like classic windows OS. Sad....

The Truth About MonaVie:
    I wiped my hard drive clean. This is the first time I REALLY got it right :-) I guess I never got ALL the drivers installed before :-0

My startup time is longer 15-20 seconds, almost double what it was, but...WOW...:-) Crisp screen and all the webpages are fitting without sideways scrolling. Portable Firefox with the drivers correctly installed reminds me of blazer with fontsmoother. Tiny, but crisp :-)

Winmover (freeware) is allowing me to drag large unscrollable windows, when needed.

The portable apps are allowing me to skip installing MSoffice. My biggest problems with OO were compatibility issues. Now that I can just put the apps on any computer I have less to worry about.

I really love the Portable Apps suite!! :-) It really takes the strain off the c drive.
    You are over dramatizing this. Linux is more technical in nature than Windows, but this doesn't mean you need to know what all of these commands mean. It would be very easy to the DUN app into a package for the Eee that would require that you only click an icon to make a connection.

Look at the current tools on the Eee and show me one that isn't as turnkey as anything you'd find on windows.
    Just curious, if I don't know what the commands mean, how do I know what command to enter? I have struggled with Linux for a couple of years, but just not satisfied with it for the above reason. Maybe I am just getting too old (60) to go thru the struggles of learning, but if MS is so much easier to implement, what is the point?

Not trying to debate, just curious (and still wishing I could be satisfied with Linux). Your statement that I don't need to know the commands has me thoroughly confused! If I don't know what a command means, how do I know to use it, or which one to use?

I really am curious, not just 'debating' .....
    RJuhl
    I'm shaking my head in confusion because I've never seen a desktop UI closer to the look and feel of the Palm OS UI as what the Eee provides.

I guess this is a prime example of why Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company. Other OSs have no hope of competing when users get confused when the UI doesn't look exactly like classic windows OS. Sad....
    The UI does look similar to the Palm OS, and thats about it. Its still not that easy to go and install programs, or to set something up and run it on the EEE. If anyone who had the EEE didn't want to run or use any other software or programs on it then what came built in, then it would be fine. And its not a point about getting confused when the UI doesn't look like classic windows either. I would of stayed with the original OS on the EEE if I could of and would have been able to add programs to it, like I can on my Treo. There are no special commands that you need to know to download and start programs on the Treo. As I said before, the Original OS on the EEE was fine, but I wanted something else.

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    None taken.

There are certain things I'd need the device to do out-of-the-box OR at least be able to do after a quick icon-click installation. It doesn't seem, from the other posts, that either of these is currently an option.

It doesn't seem to be just a matter of available programs, either, if (and maybe I'm misunderstanding them) the other Eee user(s) aren't sure how to even install a program. That should be obvious from the user manual that comes with the Eee.

I needed something that'd work for me, as expected, now (or a few months, ago). Even after the discounts, I paid more to get what I needed, but I got a lot of functionality for it.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I agree with Q - I got my EeePC last week, and the default OS is great - and it is truly closer to the look and feel of the Palm OS UI than anything else I have tried (other than Windows Mobile, Smartphone Edition). In fact, it reminds me a lot of my old OmniGo 100 - just a lot more usable.

The Eee is a fantastic device, and is much smaller in person than it appears on pictures in websites. I second the helpfulness of eeeuser.com - through it, I have been able to change the time on the taskbar to 12 hour format, and have been able to assign a key (ctrl+alt+l) to lock the screen.
    Omnigo 100 -> Palm III -> Cassiopeia -> Visor -> Jornada -> Palm m100 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Moto Q -> Treo 650 - > BB Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by omnigo View Post
    I agree with Q - I got my EeePC last week, and the default OS is great - and it is truly closer to the look and feel of the Palm OS UI than anything else I have tried (other than Windows Mobile, Smartphone Edition). In fact, it reminds me a lot of my old OmniGo 100 - just a lot more usable.

The Eee is a fantastic device, and is much smaller in person than it appears on pictures in websites. I second the helpfulness of eeeuser.com - through it, I have been able to change the time on the taskbar to 12 hour format, and have been able to assign a key (ctrl+alt+l) to lock the screen.
    Well, hopefully most users feel like you two. Even if it's not for me, more options is good for everyone, imo.

Maybe I'll take a look at Eeeuser.com just out of curiosity.
    That looks like a great community they've got there.

I liked the "start button" hack, if it can be called that. Neat.

Still not for me, but neat.
  15.    #155  
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I love my eee, I'm very happy with it, and I liked the simple layout that came with it, it just bugged me that sometimes I wasn't able to get some things going on it that I wanted too. I took that risk when I bought it, but no complaints. I played with it for a few wks trying to learn how to do some things on it, I was able to go in and switch the time out and was able to go in and change it to the advanced user set-up too. But at the end, I wanted to try XP on it, and I did. Both of the OS's worked great, initially I switched over my fiancees to XP, she also tried it for awhile with the original OS and loved it, but wanted something that she was more familiar with and XP came into play. Then I installed XP on mine after wards just so I could see how it would work out, and it did great. The eeeuser.com community is great, I found a lot of helpful info over there.

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    I've only used VLC at AFTV TV so far. It worked very nicely with pdanet. I think the speed of pdanet is slower than how fast VLC can write to the USB.

Thanks for the second link, Felipe. I didn't have that one.

I need to figure out how to take a picture of my desktop and post it. It is a thing of beauty. Bright blue swirl, with all white and greyscale icons. I enlarged the icons, removed the text, removed the shortcut arrows, and lined them up in a row along the bottom of the screen. So pretty on my little white Eee. I used the marquee screensaver and used light blue backround and large white text in comic sans, saying "Please turn me off!"
    Behold eeeXubuntu! Some fine folks are repackaging Ubuntu (well Xubuntu technically, which is designed for slower hardware anyway) with all sorts of tweaks to make it Eee friendly. If I had an Eee, I'd defenitly check it out. I know Q will want to, as it addresses most of the gripes he had with running Ubuntu on the Eee.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I liked the default OS on the eee as well, however, it was to much of a pain to set up bluetooth. Sure I could get it work with commands, but I don't want to enter command in a terminal everytime I plug in my Usb Bt, and evertime it wakes up. I tried to follow several different sets of instructions on the net and even posted the eeeusers forum and still could never get it right. And this was just the connection to the mouse. I never even got trying BT DUN.

Getting my eee to interact through BT with my mouse and treo took WinXp. Now I can sync, use my mouse and get DUN all through a BT connection.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts

Have you figured out BT DUN on the eee with just a click of an icon? How about a connection to a BT mouse without having to open a terminal?

If you can post how to do those, then I would seriously consider switching back to the default os, I did like the layout and the super quick startup.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre