Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    gadgetfreak, I think the price is just coming down already.

Everyone, These are new devices and there is a lot to learn. I'm thinking Asus will be willing to replace models for the early adopting power users if they wear them out. We are great advertisers and bug finders and wiki writers. They need people like us.

We are also the minority. Most people will buy these machines, quickly tire of them and their limitations and retire them to a shelf to collect dust. You will be seeing lots of these on Ebay by next summer.

I'm going to concentrate on learning to push this type of machine to it's max. For ME going with XP is the right choice. I have a library full of books to help me learn to poweruse XP, and I will be able to apply what I use to another brand device if this one craps out and another manufacturer comes out with something better in a few months.

I decided last night to look at the $400.00 spent on this machine as the equivalent of a college class. To look at the price of the machine as access to a learning tool that I may not have access to in a few months when the class is over.

If someone NEEDS this type of device, then $400.00 for a few months of learning and use is worth it. My Eee and Treo are quickly turning into a team that will help me manage my memory loss. Every week as I put my life further back together, I have greater needs for logging and organizing and quickly retrieving information. My rate of learning and the progress of technology are just barely keeping pace with my emerging needs.

I just had a phonecall with a caseworker this morning about another person in my team. We talked about how I need to increase my logging of info about my interaction with him/her. I caught him/her lying and trying to convince me that I don't remember an event.

My Treo/Eee team have to function as the part of my brain that doesn't function properly. I look at them as a medical support device. I'll do my best to learn to use them wisely, but I'm not going to WORRY about it.
    Would appreciate some feedback on the SCREEN quality, glare if any and visbility outside in the sun.

I am most tempted to buy ?
    ~* Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    What is the difference between this black one and the one for $50 more?
    Ok, found at Slickdeals that..

It differs from the Eee PC 4G in that it features soldered PC2-3200 RAM (instead of expandable PC2-5300 RAM), a 4400 mAh battery (instead of 5200 mAh), and lacks a webcam.
    WOW. That is hard to see on Newegg's site. IMHO, $50 is defintely worth it for those added specs.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    I have so little room on the hard drive, that I'm looking to see how I can tweak the palm desktop software to function in ways it was never intended to.

For example I created a cookbook in memo. I start all cookbook memos with zzz so they all file last when on "all", so they don't get in the way. After the zzz, I organize the recipes by placing another letter such as "b" for breads, "e" for entrees, "m" for misc. The I put "--" and then the name of the recipe. The recipes are now grouped into categories. For example, zzzb--Pancakes, zzze--chili, zzzm--BBQ Sauce

Now on the Eee Palm desktop, stretch out the memo window, so when you click on each individual memo, it fills the screen, nicely.

Voila, now I have a cookbook with no additional software on my Eee, and I also have all my recipes on my Treo as well.

For my journal, I created a custom date/time stamp with Shortcut5 and macros that starts with yyyymmdd, for example today is 20071122. All the journal entries file in chronological order.

Many of the desktop companions to Palm software are nice and small. Programs that I didn't feel the need for on my Treo are looking more attractive, when I'll use the combo primarily on the Eee.
    No webcam - it's a "Surf" model.
    Can you easily replace the battery on the eee? AKA could you buy a second battery and swap them out in the middle of a flight to continue watching movies?
    has anyone tried attaching an external USB powered hard drive -- like the 160GB WD Passport ??

I need to know if it is compatible out of the box, and if it has sufficient USB power
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    has anyone tried attaching an external USB powered hard drive -- like the 160GB WD Passport ??
    Two 2.5 inch and one 1.8 inch external USB drives all work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Two 2.5 inch and one 1.8 inch external USB drives all work for me.
    if you're able to use a USB powered drive like the WD Passport, that would be then a perfect complement to the small internal flash drive.

It means you can store data heavy stuff like video etc. on the Passport, and then just shuttle them onto the Flash drive when you want to watch movies etc -- the usb drive would not need to be sucking power from its host except for those brief connections.

(for those who may not know, PAssport drives are incredibly light and cheap -- I bought 2 160GB drives yesterday for $70 each. They weigh only a few ounces).
  11. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin View Post
    Would appreciate some feedback on the SCREEN quality, glare if any and visbility outside in the sun.
    I am most tempted to buy ?
    The screen quality isn't quite as good as my fairly new Dell Latitude notebook, but it isn't bad either. I've seen MUCH worse. I'm satisfied with the screen. It has a matte finish, so there is no glare.

I've not used it outside in direct sun. As I type this, I'm laying on my couch with 3 huge bay windows right next to me. While not full on sun, it is fairly bright. My Eee screen is very bright in this ambient light level. No problems.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  12. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Can you easily replace the battery on the eee? AKA could you buy a second battery and swap them out in the middle of a flight to continue watching movies?
    Yes. The battery sits at the back of the unit, right under the LCD. You just flip a little toggle and it slides out like any typical notebook battery. I'm sure you could order a second battery from Asus.

Perhaps someone will make a higher capacity battery at some point.

Battery life is one of the Eees biggest shortcomings IMO. 3 hrs is just barely acceptable for a notebook. Asus needs to work to get this up to 5hr.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  13. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    In addition to the comments others have posted, it is my understanding that the black units do not include an additional PCI-E slot that could conceivable be used to plug in a second flash hard drive or a bluetooth card.

At this early stage in the game, I've read of only limited posts of people using this additional slot. We'll see what the third party vendors come out with in the coming months.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  14. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    We are also the minority. Most people will buy these machines, quickly tire of them and their limitations and retire them to a shelf to collect dust. You will be seeing lots of these on Ebay by next summer.
    I disagree. I believe there is a growing demand for an Eee type device, especially one that can be purchased in the $200-$400 range. Once Asus gets the battery life up to 5+ hrs and includes a bit more flash drive space, I think you'll see it being adopted in a very big way by executives, government agencies, and students.

Most people simply don't need all of the features a full blown notebook provides when they are on the move. The Eee provides all of the functionality that most people need when on the go. Moreover, it is not much bigger than a DVD case, so very nice to carry. After having my Eee for a few weeks, my Dell Latitude feels like a boat anchor cast out of lead.

I wouldn't get rid of my Dell Notebook now that I have an Eee because there are times that I need the power and larger screen that my Dell provides. However, I don't pack it with me all of the time like I used to. Now, my Eee goes everywhere with me.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    In addition to the comments others have posted, it is my understanding that the black units do not include an additional PCI-E slot that could conceivable be used to plug in a second flash hard drive or a bluetooth card.

At this early stage in the game, I've read of only limited posts of people using this additional slot. We'll see what the third party vendors come out with in the coming months.
    Could you or Kupe clarify that this notebook is able to use USB powered drives -- drives powered by USB only
    Could you or Kupe clarify that this notebook is able to use USB powered drives -- drives powered by USB only
    Yes. The Eee PC USB ports are the sole source of power to any of the three drives I mentioned here earlier (two x 2.5 inch and 1one x 1.8 inch). No additional power cords. No extra batteries. No secret hydrogen-based fuel cells. No perpetual motion machines. Just a drive, a USB cable, and and Eee PC are all you need to power these devices. For real. I swear. It's the truth. I kid you not. Seriously.
  17. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    The Eee is functionally no different than any mainstream Intel based notebook. As such, you can expect it to support devices that mainstream notebooks support.

I've used several different USB devices with my Eee (e.g., thumb drive, WD hard drive, 755P, HP printer, Canon digital camera) with no problems what so ever.

It even charges my 755P via USB.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    ~Q~,

I'm hoping you can help. I'd like to use the instructions for connecting my treo 700p to my eee PC. I printed out the instructions from the website you recommended. When I get to the section on configuring the linux machine where it says

"The first step (and simplest way I found to connect) is to copy the connection script from the USB Modem archive to your /etc/ppp/peers/ directory. I used this command (assuming you’ve unzipped the archive to your Desktop):"

Does this mean that I should download and unzip the USB Modem software onto the eee. I'm so totally new to linux that I have no idea what I'm doing.
    If you could give a detailed description on how to do this I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm really looking forward to tethering with my 700P.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Ellen
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yes. The Eee PC USB ports are the sole source of power to any of the three drives I mentioned here earlier (two x 2.5 inch and 1one x 1.8 inch). No additional power cords. No extra batteries. No secret hydrogen-based fuel cells. No perpetual motion machines. Just a drive, a USB cable, and and Eee PC are all you need to power these devices. For real. I swear. It's the truth. I kid you not. Seriously.

The Eee is functionally no different than any mainstream Intel based notebook. As such, you can expect it to support devices that mainstream notebooks support.

I've used several different USB devices with my Eee (e.g., thumb drive, WD hard drive, 755P, HP printer, Canon digital camera) with no problems what so ever.

It even charges my 755P via USB.
    Thanks Kupe & Q -- now I know that the small internal flash drive is no obstacle -- I this weekend got 160GB USB drives for $70, and 250GB for $130. From what you're saying, it'll be easy to expand the Eee PC
    I disagree. I believe there is a growing demand for an Eee type device, especially one that can be purchased in the $200-$400 range. Once Asus gets the battery life up to 5+ hrs and includes a bit more flash drive space, I think you'll see it being adopted in a very big way by executives, government agencies, and students.

Most people simply don't need all of the features a full blown notebook provides when they are on the move. The Eee provides all of the functionality that most people need when on the go.
    I absolutely agree there is a growing demand for Eee type devices, but the Eee, as it is being sold now, is not exactly what most people are looking for. The learning curve to get it personalized to meet the user's needs is just too much, for many people.

The improvements that are needed to apeal to the masses are tiny, but necessary.

If a person is willing to daily participate in a forum and willing to install external hardware, and possibly attempt to install an operating system, this machine is amazing, BUT, and it's a BIG but, most people are not willing to put in this much effort :-0

When I bought my Eee and people were able to list their needs and found out they could not accomplish them out of box, they walked away. When I explained the things they would have to do to be able to do what they wanted, their eyes glazed right over.

Of the big crowd around the Eee, everyone walked away except me and a foreign man. All your typical Wonder Bread type Americans just were not interested. Moms and Dads wanted MS Office. The kids wanted to use their Windows games.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast