Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 258
  1.    #81  
    how about video playback? does it come with vlc?

    what about dvd playback?

    big chris, how much space do you have left after xp/office install?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    how about video playback? does it come with vlc?

    what about dvd playback?

    big chris, how much space do you have left after xp/office install?
    Video playbeack is fine. Plays all the standards. I have 2.17 GB free after XP and Office install and a few other things I installed as well.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  3. #83  
    I got XP on my Eee. I had paid off enough of my laptop at Best Buy that I was able to charge what I needed, there. I even got 1/2 price on an openbox CD ROM drive :-)

    Installing was a nightmare :-( Asus has a 24 hour hotline 1-888-678-3688. They all speak English and are far better than Sprint or Palm. I jarred the CD ROM drive during installation, and I also needed to install the audio driver from the Asus disk individually. Anyway XP is on!! :-) It was the right way to go for me!! :-)

    I've synced and am using PdaNet. Installation of both was quick and easy!

    I love the keyboard! It may be tiny, but it works far better than my broken laptop! In a couple days I will send in my big laptop to be repaired. I might sell it when I get it back. I really don't think I need it.

    I will install MSOffice today and see how that goes. Also my ancient Greek software.

    I love being back on XP, after dealing with Vista!!!! :-)

    I hope my adorable Sipix printer works when it comes in.

    I am VERY, VERY happy so far, but I don't think I am the typical computer user :-0 And I'm coming off a broken computer with a version of Windows I didn't like and that was incompatible with some of my software and hardware.
  4. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by harps View Post
    I currently use a 2nd hand 12" powerbook when travelling and was really excited with the Foleo project. Here in Aust they are going to release the Eee PC in Dec for $499. If it can do what I want this may be the mobile travelling solution I've been looking for. (Unless the Foleo is raised from the ashes).
    As Ben Crombee stated, the Foleo is a PDA scaled up and the Eee is a notebook scaled down. Interesting analogy. The key is that the Eee has mainstream hardware and is sporting a mainstream OS, while the Foleo is running PDA type hardware and a proprietary OS.

    The Foleo had the right form factor and mission, but the tools weren't there. Palm needs to take what Asus is doing with the Eee, improve on it, then use it to make a Foleo II.

    For $399, you can't loose with the Eee. It is a great little unit!
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  5. #85  
    I had trouble installing MS Office 2007 on the compressed hardrive that Asus recomended for XP. The installation corrupted Windows :-(

    I had to start all over except I think I still have some junk left on the hard drive eating up precious space. I couldn't delete 8 MB of unpartitioned something, whatever that means :-0 My hard drive says it only holds 3.71 GB :-0

    I'm leaving XP alone this time in all of it's 2 MB gluttony. I custom installed Office, putting just Excel and Word, and leaving a lot of other stuff with just menus to install from disk if I need it. The Office install was under 700MB.

    Palm desktop, PdaNet. The hard drive is as full as I want it.

    I was able to get my ancient Greek software on a flash drive and it works great. The author recently put up free videos on a website. I installed a quick flash thingy and the videos play great. I'm ready to dive back into my Greek studies :-)

    I tried out Pda Reach but wasn't thrilled with how it worked with most programs. Many are expecting a touch screen. I'll have to see if there is a workaround for that. I surely wish the TV worked on it :-(

    The Eee is an amazing device, but most users are going to need to be problem solvers to tweak it into meeting their needs.

    I'm sure before this is done, as I read and study and expirement, I'll have to wipe the harddrive multiple times, before I can tweak it into my personal perfect machine.

    I really hope some of the palm software writers embrace the Eee as a palm companion and start writing software for it.
  6. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I
    I had to start all over except I think I still have some junk left on the hard drive eating up precious space. I couldn't delete 8 MB of unpartitioned something, whatever that means :-0 My hard drive says it only holds 3.71 GB :-0
    That's the rescue partition for the default operating system. I also believe it is used by the default operating system during a BIOS upgrade. You should be able to delete this partition during the XP disk configuration step and utilize the entire disk.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I
    The Eee is an amazing device, but most users are going to need to be problem solvers to tweak it into meeting their needs.
    Not sure I agree with this. The Eee does everything it promises it is supposed to do right out of the box.


    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I
    I'm sure before this is done, as I read and study and expirement, I'll have to wipe the harddrive multiple times, before I can tweak it into my personal perfect machine.
    Are you aware the the Eee uses a flash hard drive and reformatting frequently can significantly reduce the life span of this device? It is estimated that the life span of the Eee's flash hard drive is about 5 years under normal use with the default OS. The default OS is configured with the Union File System, which provides a means for resetting the operating system to the factory setting without reformatting.

    Further, some have estimated that installing an operating system with a journaling file system (which XP does use) can reduce the life span of the flash hard drive to months. The factory installed Eee OS does not use a journaling file system.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  7. #87  
    Thanks for the warning!

    Is the drive covered under warranty? Can it be replaced fairly cheaply?

    I really tried to use the default OS and applications. I was just in over my head and even having problems with how the fonts were displaying in the word processor. I used OpenOffice years ago and had nothing but problems, but then...I'm always pushing these machines and software to their max or beyond what they were created to do :-0 And then adding an amazing amount of user error and ignorance into the mix.

    I need MS Word for my Ancient language fonts. OO just cannot handle the multiple accents on a word and typing backwards, etc. Or at least with my level of knowledge :-)

    I have destroyed many computers. One even had smoke coming out of it :-( It also let out a horrible BANG that terrified the poor dog!

    I'm going to buy an XP book today. I never learned XP all that well, as I haven't needed to worry about drive space since WIN95. XP would only let me delete partitioned space and I had no idea how to partition that space. I need a book.

    This is the first time I have put an operating system on from scratch. Previously I only used a recovery disk. a LOT :-0

    Learning is best done by doing and that includes mistakes and costly repairs. Sigh!

    I'm hoping the price of these machines really does come down to $200.00. Also I believe technology is expanding so rapidly, that by the time I totaly fry this thing, I'll be able to pick up a cheap, better one.

    As long as I spend my money on nothing other than shelter in a ghetto, very basic food, my hiking gear and computer stuff, I can afford to experiment and even destroy a few computers and phones. Yeah to Sprint phone insurance :-) And my Eee is under 2 year warranty for some things, right?

    I'll be OK. Good chance I'll have to give up the luxury of washing my clothes at the laundymat and have to go back to handwashing, but that's OK. My clothes are all designed for that type of thing :-)

    Seriously, though, thanks for the warning. I'm going to study more and expirement less.
  8. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Thanks for the warning!

    Is the drive covered under warranty? Can it be replaced fairly cheaply?
    If the drive just outright failed, I'm sure it would be covered under the warranty. However, wearing out a flash drive wouldn't; which is what we're talking about here. Flash drives (i.e., flash memory) has a limited life span in that after a certain number of write cycles, it just stops working. I think 100,000 or so write cycles is what most flash drives can take before they just crap out. Reading doesn't do anythign to the drive, it's the writing that wears it out.

    The drive in the Eee can't be replaced as the chips that make up the drive are soldered right to the motherboard. Once they go, you'll just have to chuck your Eee.

    Under normal use with a non-journaling file system, the Eee will last 5 years or so. The Windows file system NTFS is a journaling file system where as the FAT32 is not. I would recommend using FAT32 for Win XP installs as NTFS could drastically reduce the life of your flash hard drive.

    Q
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  9. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Thanks for the warning!

    I'm going to buy an XP book today. I never learned XP all that well, as I haven't needed to worry about drive space since WIN95. XP would only let me delete partitioned space and I had no idea how to partition that space. I need a book.
    Perhaps this Howto will help with your windows XP install. From what I understand, it reduces the required disk space to about half of the regular XP install:

    http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp

    I've not tried this, but have read very positive forum posts from several people over at eeeuser.com who have.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  10. #90  
    So, should we install Windows with FAT32 or NTFS? FAT32 isn't journaling and yields slightly faster system performance, but NTFS offers journaling (lol, hey it's a good thing) and more importantly, file compression.

    I'm getting one soon and I'm leaning towards FAT32 while using UPX4PC to compress select EXE files.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    If the drive just outright failed, I'm sure it would be covered under the warranty. However, wearing out a flash drive wouldn't; which is what we're talking about here. Flash drives (i.e., flash memory) has a limited life span in that after a certain number of write cycles, it just stops working. I think 100,000 or so write cycles is what most flash drives can take before they just crap out. Reading doesn't do anythign to the drive, it's the writing that wears it out.

    The drive in the Eee can't be replaced as the chips that make up the drive are soldered right to the motherboard. Once they go, you'll just have to chuck your Eee.

    Under normal use with a non-journaling file system, the Eee will last 5 years or so. The Windows file system NTFS is a journaling file system where as the FAT32 is not. I would recommend using FAT32 for Win XP installs as NTFS could drastically reduce the life of your flash hard drive.

    Q
    That's scary to someone with my level of knowledge.

    This is why I've gotta stick with something closer to mainstream computers. Also, chucking my (hypothetical) Eee because the drive can't be replaced, would bug the freak outta me.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  12. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    So, should we install Windows with FAT32 or NTFS? FAT32 isn't journaling and yields slightly faster system performance, but NTFS offers journaling (lol, hey it's a good thing) and more importantly, file compression.

    I'm getting one soon and I'm leaning towards FAT32 while using UPX4PC to compress select EXE files.
    First, I don't think there is any need to install XP on the Eee. The Eee already does everything that one would need in a mobile companion right out of the box. It is just a matter of letter go of Windows and accepting something slightly different. The Eee UI and software are very functional. The XP dialogs are designed for a min display resolution of 800 x 600. Given that the vertical resolution of the Eee is only 480 px, users will have issues with XP. Again, there is no need for XP on the Eee. If you can't figure out how to do something with the default OS, ASK QUESTIONS. The solutions are usually pretty straight forward. For example, I could walk anyone through DUN on the default Eee install in minutes.

    If I were to install XP on my Eee, I'd use the FAT32 file system and I WOULD NOT use hard drive compression. Using compression is really going to reduce performance. Instead, I would use this utility to reduce the XP footprint: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp

    Further, I would utilize an SD card for additional storage. There are multiple HOWTOs on the eeeuser.com website for mapping SD memory cards to drive letters. I installed a 4GB SD card in my Eee and it works perfectly.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  13. #93  
    I think its going to be very interesting to see how long the EEE lasts with XP. There's nothing in the manuel that says that adding XP will decrease the lifespan of he EEE. And not only that, I'm curious to see how they set it up when they release the EEE with XP preinstalled. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying that its going to be interesting to see what happens at the end. At one point, if the EEE does crap out due to XP, then there are going to be a lot of people upset who added XP. Not only that, for a lot of people, having XP on it will also help sell the EEE more, since there are some that are comfortable with XP instead of the Linux OS. I guess we'll see soon enough, lol
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  14. #94  
    Q
    As far as tethering goes. can usbmodem be substituted with pdanet in your description of how to set it up? I have been tethering with pdanet and would love for that to be compatible even though I have heard usbmodem is faster. thanks!
  15. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    I think its going to be very interesting to see how long the EEE lasts with XP. There's nothing in the manuel that says that adding XP will decrease the lifespan of he EEE.
    I didn't say XP would decrease the lifespan of the EEE. I said that journaling file systems decrease the life of the Eee's flash drive. XP uses a journaling file system as the default file system (so do many main stream linux OSs). It is possible to install a non-journaling file system on XP, which is why I posted as such earlier in the thead.

    Go over to eeeuser.com and do a search for journaling file system or do a search on google for flash drives and journaling file systems. Read what you find and draw your own conclusions.

    I don't plan on using a journaling file system on my Eee. Feel free to use on on yours if you want. Perhaps you can post back here when your flash drive fails so we can know exactly how long they last.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  16. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Q
    As far as tethering goes. can usbmodem be substituted with pdanet in your description of how to set it up? I have been tethering with pdanet and would love for that to be compatible even though I have heard usbmodem is faster. thanks!
    Yes.

    Here's a step-by-step howto: http://spellbook.infinitiv.it/2007/0...connection.htm

    I have no idea which is faster.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I didn't say XP would decrease the lifespan of the EEE. I said that journaling file systems decrease the life of the Eee's flash drive. XP uses a journaling file system as the default file system (so do many main stream linux OSs). It is possible to install a non-journaling file system on XP, which is why I posted as such earlier in the thead.

    Go over to eeeuser.com and do a search for journaling file system or do a search on google for flash drives and journaling file systems. Read what you find and draw your own conclusions.

    I don't plan on using a journaling file system on my Eee. Feel free to use on on yours if you want. Perhaps you can post back here when your flash drive fails so we can know exactly how long they last.
    I didn't say that you did, I was simply saying that in general, its going to be interesting to see what the outcome is going to be. Like I said before, we'll see soon enough what will happen
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  18. #98  
    I bought "Cleaning Windows XP for Dummies" today. It looks really, really helpful.
  19. #99  
  20. #100  
    What is the difference between this black one and the one for $50 more?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

    Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions