Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Looks like the 8gb EEE is going to have a 10 inch screen. That is pretty damn good looking for the money. I'm going to take a long hard look at it.

All I use my laptop for outside of work is email, web, and IM most the time. And it would be nice to have a small laptop, I always wanted one of those 12" powerbooks.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Can someone who has the figures post the dimensions (in metric if possible) of the Eee PC compared to the Foleo.

Also what is the browser used? Does it allow tab's? (cant remember if this has been posted already or not.

I currently use a 2nd hand 12" powerbook when travelling and was really excited with the Foleo project. Here in Aust they are going to release the Eee PC in Dec for $499. If it can do what I want this may be the mobile travelling solution I've been looking for. (Unless the Foleo is raised from the ashes).
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
  3.    #63  
    isnt firefox the browser?

10" with 8gb for 300 would be so mine.

but it better not be more than 400.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    With a $40 bluetooth USB card, I'm right there with my EEE. However, I do agree that lack of bluetooth is an issue with the EEE PC. I believe this was a tradeoff that Asus took to give the unit more battery live. Asus EEE PC II is supposed to be sporting a CPU that will give it better battery life. Perhaps we'll see bluetooth.

A bigger screen would be very nice, but not essential. The 7" screen on the EEE PC definitely gets the job done. It isn't ideal, but very functional.

The keyboard is small, but likely not much smaller than the Foleo would have been. The "screen area" on the Asus EEE would easily fit a 10" screen if they lost the speakers.

That is part and parcel with the screen size, really. Don't get me wrong, I really wish the EEE screen was larger, but it is not a show stopper.

IMO, Asus beats Foleo in that it provides the hardware to support mainstream apps. Instant on, could have given a 1-2 second edge on the Asus... Worth giving up Firefox and full MS Office support via Open Office? Not likely.

The Asus EEE gives you the full blown version of Firefox and Open Office. These two alone blow Foleo out of the water.

I believe Asus already is a success. Did any of the Sony, Toshibia, or etc. ultra mobiles get headlines on Digg, ZDNet, and many others when they came out? Not even close. This device turning heads all over the place....
    I'm late to the party, so this may've been addressed, already but... The Eee articles I've seen were put together before the release and were based on the original price-point. I've seen none that address the bang:buck ratio of the actual price of this device.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Firefox is the browser (full version, with tabs) but you can install any browser you want that's been ported to Linux. Take your pick.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  6.    #66  
    now in black: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220246

and according th engadget and gizmodo, there are questions if there will be a ten inch model. asus is waffling, even though they said there was going to be one when they first announced it.

maybe they just cant reach the $400 price point?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  7. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Looks like the 8gb EEE is going to have a 10 inch screen. That is pretty damn good looking for the money. I'm going to take a long hard look at it.
    False report. See: http://www.eeeuser.com/

8GB model should be out any time, but with a 7" screen.

Perhaps we'll see something different in a second generation model.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    maybe they just cant reach the $400 price point?
    I'd say power consumption is the real reason we aren't seeing a bigger screen. 3-3 1/2 hrs is about as much as you'll get out of the current model, with a 7" screen.

You'd be surprised at how fast you get used to the small screen. It is quite usable. On occasion, I've been a little frustrated with web applications because of the screen size. For example, chatting using ebuddy.com is interesting.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Do you think there is anything available like the fontsmoother/Blazer fix some of us use on the Treo.
    Has anyone synced their Treo and their Eee yet?
  11. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Do you think there is anything available like the fontsmoother/Blazer fix some of us use on the Treo.
    Not sure why a person would need something like this as the Eee will use just about any *nix fonts out there. The default fonts on the system are pretty good though. Very "MS Windows" looking.

Yes, I have synced my Treo to the Eee. The app on the Eee is called Kontact: http://kontact.kde.org/ It includes a plugin called Kpilot that can be used to hotsync with the Treo. Pretty easy to setup.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    OK, I think I'm going to put in an order tomorrow. I'd prefer black and that it can be shipped to a P.O. box and that the company actually has stock in the warehouse. I'll check the Eee board, but if anyone has any ordering tips, I'm open to suggestions!
  13. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    OK, I think I'm going to put in an order tomorrow. I'd prefer black and that it can be shipped to a P.O. box and that the company actually has stock in the warehouse. I'll check the Eee board, but if anyone has any ordering tips, I'm open to suggestions!
    I ordered mine from directron.com. Newegg.com is also a popular place to get the Eee. Directron is probably more likely to have units in stock.

I will be interested to hear your impression of how small the Eee is. I'd read a great deal about this unit and had looked at many pictures, but was amazed when I opened the box and saw how small it was. This thing is TINY, but you get used to it in a hurry.

I don't go anywhere with out it.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Well, installed XP and I have to say I'm very impressed with how it works. No problems as of yet. I got all the things running on it that I want. I can use my 755 as a modem now, with no problems using my PAM plan, I also have MS office on there as well. Its working great, very happy with the out come.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    I bought a white Eee today. I looked at a CD ROM drive and XP, but it would have cost me an extra $300.00 to get XP on it :-(

The Linux looks so nice. I'm just going to have to dive in and try and learn it. If I just cannot get my treo set up then I'll have to see about the XP.

It's charging right now :-) I can't wait to try it out.

I bought a bluetooth USB Adapter. I need that for USB Modem right? I was told I need to download the drivers for it. It's a zoom 4310.
    I can't get the page for USB Modem to load :-0

Oh, and Q, it's the size I expected. Two pounds is heavy if you carry it 10 miles or all day in a backpack. It's as big as I can handle, so is just right.
    OK, this is NOT going well!

I cannot sync my PIMs. I can't find the zoom drivers and can't download USB Modem, never mind get it to work :-(

So far I have been completely unsuccessful at everything :-(
    Wildcatter, you bought this in a store ? Not shipped?
    What do think of the screen size and resolution ?
    ~* Peace
    Does this support LogMeIn or GoToMyPC? Does it work well? Also, is there an RDP client that works well to connect to an Exchange 2003 Terminal Server? Thx.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    bmeskin, yes I bought my Eee in a store. You can find them if you are lucky. I wanted black, but being able to just buy it in a store instead of online, was too much to pass up.

The screen is great for me, but then I use my Treo a LOT. I do not have a car and lugging a laptop around is miserable. So most of the time now, I will be using a bigger screen, rather than a smaller one.

gadgetfreak, you are talking way over MY head :-)
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast