Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    harharhar! (acts crazy)

The thing is i had it all setup already...
    I know your story my friend... We've been pulling for the Foleo since it was announced. I'm telling you, the Eee is the unit we were hoping for. If it had the Foleo look, and another inch of width these things would be next to impossible to find.

Bottom line is the Eee does what the Foleo wanted to do. What is it about this unit that doesn't agree with you?
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  2. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Thanks Q, but I'm trying not to go with the Ubuntu OS, and stay with the Xandros. After playing with it for awhile, I still can't get it to work, not to say it won't with Xandros, but I'm new to linux. So, I'm going to install XP and be done with it and be able to use my PAM plan.

I'm still very impressed with this little machine, it does a lot.
    I installed Ubuntu on my Eee an it simply is not ready for the Eee. I can deal with a slower bootup than the default OS, but the UI is very awkward to use. Like I said, last night I dumped ubuntu and went back to the default OS and am very happy.

Have you found this community: http://www.eeeuser.com/

Very similar user base to Treocentral. Nice people over there. I'm signed up over there as Q.

Please feel email me if you want to visit more about the Eee. I'm not a pro by any means, but may be able to offer a suggestion or three.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  3. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I've spent days reading about the Eee. I'm afraid I won't be able to get my PIM stuff synced or the DUN hack to work..
    I posted previously in this thread with a method to use a Treo as a modem for the Eee. I didn't do with the DUN hack as it was causing issues with my 755P. My solution takes a different path.

Syncing PIM is a issue with any computer, regardless of the OS. Foleo couldn't do it. I can do it on my XP desktop using a combination of software solutions... Yes, it can be done with Palm desktop, but there are limitations there as well.

I'm currently working on sync solution that I am very excited about. It provides complete OTA sync of all PIM data using all free software.

I will post with my results soon.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Q~

Did you try Xubuntu or vanilla Ubuntu? You might find slightly better results with the performance of Xubuntu on the limited hardware, although you'll still experience the lack of "mobile-friendly" user interface that you've got currently.

Seems like what's needed is a mobile dashboard similar to what's been developed for the EEE that can be installed in Gnome/KDE/etc so it can be run in the other flavors of Linux. I wonder if such a thing already exists? Hmmm...I might need to do some homework.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I installed Ubuntu on my Eee an it simply is not ready for the Eee. I can deal with a slower bootup than the default OS, but the UI is very awkward to use. Like I said, last night I dumped ubuntu and went back to the default OS and am very happy.

Have you found this community: http://www.eeeuser.com/

Very similar user base to Treocentral. Nice people over there. I'm signed up over there as Q.

Please feel email me if you want to visit more about the Eee. I'm not a pro by any means, but may be able to offer a suggestion or three.
    Thanks Q, I've signed up on that site as well when I 1st got it, very informative. I know there is a program on the EEE that allows for the sync of PIM with a Palm OS. I found it when I programed my EEE to Advanced Desktop mode. When I get home, I'll look it up and post what the program is.

I also wanted the Foleo as well and was very disappointed when they canceled it, now having the EEE, I'm really happy with it. In order for people to really get an idea of how it is they must play with it in person and see how it is. Its very impressive and the size is great. Its very portable and to me, that makes a big difference. Now, if they would just release the black one so I can get it. lol
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    You all seem to know so much more about computers than I do. I get a headache and a knot in my stomach as I read through all this stuff at the Eee site and here.

I think I'm really going to have to buy local hands on help for this if I decide to purchase it. I'm afraid this time I'm totally in over my head.

And this piece of **** laptop is still deteriorating further by the day. The keyboard is just shot. UGH! It's easier to type on my treo than my laptop. Sigh! Never mind the overheating issues.

Is there anyone online selling customized Eees? With either XP or Palm ready?

Is there a way to have someone customize an Eee for a Treo 755p, with the default OS, and then create a full reinstall card?

I can't be the only dummy looking for a Treo companion, can I?
    You all seem to know so much more about computers than I do. I get a headache and a knot in my stomach as I read through all this stuff at the Eee site and here.

I think I'm really going to have to buy local hands on help for this if I decide to purchase it. I'm afraid this time I'm totally in over my head.

And this piece of **** laptop is still deteriorating further by the day. The keyboard is just shot. UGH! It's easier to type on my treo than my laptop. Sigh! Never mind the overheating issues.

Is there a way to have someone customize an Eee for a Treo 755p, with the default OS, and then create a full reinstall card?

Trust me, I want a companion for my Treo as well. For the most part, I think its because the EEE is still new, after its been out for a little longer, there will be more how to's as far as getting it hooked up with DUN or USB. For the mean time I'm going to install XP on mine. The OS that it comes with isn't that bad, but there's a few more things that I would like to do with the EEE that I don't know how to do with Linux. I haven't as of yet heard of anyone selling any custom EEE's.

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Q~

Did you try Xubuntu or vanilla Ubuntu? You might find slightly better results with the performance of Xubuntu on the limited hardware, although you'll still experience the lack of "mobile-friendly" user interface that you've got currently.

Seems like what's needed is a mobile dashboard similar to what's been developed for the EEE that can be installed in Gnome/KDE/etc so it can be run in the other flavors of Linux. I wonder if such a thing already exists? Hmmm...I might need to do some homework.
    I went with vanilla Ubuntu. Yes, I'm sure Xubuntu would have been a bit lighter on the system, but performace wasn't my biggest complaint. It was the fact that the UI isn't made for a 7" screen. Just adding an Eee friendly dashboard to ubuntu isn't going to solve the problem. Many of the dialogs and apps are very combersome to use on the Eee because they are vertically too long for the screen and there is no way to shrink them. Evolution wouldn't work at all. It fired up, but the screen mapping was all fouled up -- I'd try to click one menu and another would open, etc.

It is going to take some real work to create an Eee friendly version of Ubuntu.

Asus has done this with the default OS.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Thanks Q, I've signed up on that site as well when I 1st got it, very informative. I know there is a program on the EEE that allows for the sync of PIM with a Palm OS. I found it when I programed my EEE to Advanced Desktop mode. When I get home, I'll look it up and post what the program is.

I also wanted the Foleo as well and was very disappointed when they canceled it, now having the EEE, I'm really happy with it. In order for people to really get an idea of how it is they must play with it in person and see how it is. Its very impressive and the size is great. Its very portable and to me, that makes a big difference. Now, if they would just release the black one so I can get it. lol
    I havn't this far with my Eee yet. My main concern was getting it to use my 755P as a DUN modem, which I have done and it works great. My next task is getting it to sync PIM data

Amazing how fast you get used to that little screen isn't it? When I pull out my regular notebook now, it feels like a boat anchor.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  10. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about getting an EEE with XP. The default OS is very easy to use. The interface acts more like your treo than it does a regular desktop OS UI.

Right now, tethering your treo to the Eee requires that you drop to the command line and issue a couple commands. In time, I'm sure someone will come up with an app that throws an icon in the UI so you just have to click it to connect.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    I havn't this far with my Eee yet. My main concern was getting it to use my 755P as a DUN modem, which I have done and it works great. My next task is getting it to sync PIM data

Amazing how fast you get used to that little screen isn't it? When I pull out my regular notebook now, it feels like a boat anchor.
    Yes, you do get use to the screen quick, I feel the same way with my regular notebook too. So, Q did you get your DUN working under Ubuntu or under Xandros ?

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    I ordered a sipix printer last month before I found out it doesn't work with the 755p. I'm still waiting for it to come in. There was a shipping problem because I don't have a proper ground address.

I found xp drivers for it online. I doubt I can find linux drivers for it. My ancient Greek software uses XP too. These two things swing me towards the XP. Real MS Office would be nice, too.

If I can just get the DUN and PIMs on Linux, then I would be OK with that, though.
    I went with vanilla Ubuntu. Yes, I'm sure Xubuntu would have been a bit lighter on the system, but performace wasn't my biggest complaint. It was the fact that the UI isn't made for a 7" screen. Just adding an Eee friendly dashboard to ubuntu isn't going to solve the problem. Many of the dialogs and apps are very combersome to use on the Eee because they are vertically too long for the screen and there is no way to shrink them. Evolution wouldn't work at all. It fired up, but the screen mapping was all fouled up -- I'd try to click one menu and another would open, etc.

It is going to take some real work to create an Eee friendly version of Ubuntu.

Asus has done this with the default OS.
    Ahh, ok I know what you mean, I ran into the same problem trying to install on hardware that only supported 640x480. I'd love to see someone throw together a mobile-friendly version of Ubuntu, but you have a good point about Xandros already being there.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I ordered a sipix printer last month before I found out it doesn't work with the 755p. I'm still waiting for it to come in. There was a shipping problem because I don't have a proper ground address.

I found xp drivers for it online. I doubt I can find linux drivers for it. My ancient Greek software uses XP too. These two things swing me towards the XP. Real MS Office would be nice, too.

If I can just get the DUN and PIMs on Linux, then I would be OK with that, though.
    Xandros should install WINE just fine (funny that Q called it a windows emulator, since the acronym is recursive and stands for WINE Is Not an Emulator) which would take care of your greek software. There's a commercial version called CrossOver that can even run your real genuine Microsoft Office in Linux if OpenOffice doesn't cut it.

And before you decide, look for your printer here for Linux compatibility.
    The sipix is listed, but I have no idea what all this means :-(

http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...ket_Printer_A6

Have you all seen how adorable the little blue Sipix is? It only prints out 4x6, but it's good for emergency stuff and I just usualy print at the library.

I heard Wine is hard to install on xubuntu. Is it?

I'm checking out crossover. I've used Open Office before and it was OK, but sometimes had little problems and often wasn't entirely compatible with MS Office.
  16. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Yes, you do get use to the screen quick, I feel the same way with my regular notebook too. So, Q did you get your DUN working under Ubuntu or under Xandros ?
    I got DUN working on Ubuntu with my Dell Notebook and Xandros with my Eee.

I posted a link to a little howto earlier in this thread that works perfectly. I know the howto says it's for Ubuntu, but it will work for Xandros as well.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  17. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I heard Wine is hard to install on xubuntu. Is it?

I'm checking out crossover. I've used Open Office before and it was OK, but sometimes had little problems and often wasn't entirely compatible with MS Office.
    No, Wine is very easy to install. It is, however, not necessarily easy to use. Remember, WINE = WINE IS NOT AN EMULATOR; meaning it doesn't try to be windows. What wine does is attempt to provide the windows API on a *nix system. Given that everything about this API has to be reversed engineered, it usually doesnt work 100%. I've never been sold on WINE.

The Eee really isn't meant to be a notebook replacement. For starters, it only has a 4GB flash hard drive, 70% of which is taken up by the OS. There isn't much room for a bunch of other apps and data.

If you are looking to replace your aging Win Notebook, then I'd have a look at Toshiba. They have some very capable machines for $500 or so.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Maybe it's easier than it sounds? Some things have to be done step by step I guess :-0

Ugh! Ugh! Triple Ugh! I'm in over my head. I've done a good job with my treo, but I think the Eee might be too much to master.

Crossover isn't cheap :-( Almost as expensive as Windows :-0 I don't get it!
    I was a big fan of the eee when it was rumored at $199, but now with the $400 price tag I'm having 2nd thoughts... the small size & small price tag were the main selling points for me... if the 7inch 4gb model is $400, I guess the 10inch 8gb/16gb will be in the $600-$700 range... thats no longer a bargain IMO...

I think I might pick up a Sony Vaio ux280p instead, newegg has them for $899 thats a fair price considering they were $2000 when they debut about a year ago
    HTC Touch Pro
    I wish my laptop were an aging one. Instead it's one of those new bargain ones bought from Best Buy, with Vista on it. I won't go into the warranty and shipping problems involved in trying to get it fixed. I'll try to get it fixed if I get an ultramobile and am no longer dependent on it.

I don't want to sync my PIMs to a large laptop, as I'm currently doing. I'm not currently homeless, but my situation is far from secure. I need a lighterweight, smaller treo companion in case I'm forced to be on the move again. My PIMS contain extremely personal info because of my memory loss issues. If I have to run quickly, and decide I can't carry the weight of the laptop, I'd be leaving behind info that I shouldn't be, as well as be without a companion for my treo.

So my #1 priority is small size and a decent price. XP that works would be my preference. I HATE Vista. I'll try the Linux over Vista.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast