Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    newegg is selling an eee/xp bundle:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220244

Q, on your box, is there an image of the eee in different colors?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  2. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    newegg is selling an eee/xp bundle:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220244
    I believe you are reading this wrong. The EEE comes with a CD containing Win XP drivers and what not, but that's it. Perhaps NewEgg has some kind of a package deal whereby they sell you windows XP at a discount when you buy an EEE or something.

I wouldn't get too excited about this. XP just isn't a good choice for EEE. Usability issues and hardware limitations aside, XP has been reported to dramatically reduce the life span of the Flash Drive in the EEE. I've read that using a file system like XP uses could reduce the life span of the EEE to months. Not good.

Q, on your box, is there an image of the eee in different colors?
    Yes. In addition to white, they show pastels and black
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  3.    #23  
    oops, if you scroll down the page, you will see that a bundle for eee and xp for the price of 475.

it is the home edition of xp.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  4. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    oops, if you scroll down the page, you will see that a bundle for eee and xp for the price of 475.

it is the home edition of xp.
    Ah, missed it.

That extra $175 would be better spent on a 1GB DIMM module and bluetooth. Trust me, the EEE and Win XP just wouldn't make a good combo
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Guess who's got an EeePC and is blogging about it?
    Our old friend Ben Combee. Check it out.

http://community.livejournal.com/asuseee/
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught View Post
    Guess who's got an EeePC and is blogging about it?
    Our old friend Ben Combee. Check it out.

http://community.livejournal.com/asuseee/
    Yup i noticed that. He actually started a whole community about it... i think it is part of his frystration of not being able to "come out" for his baby the Foleo, so he is doin a lot in the eee community...

Whats so hard about it is i hear most of the Palm officials... the last one being their CFO guy in the last conference call admitting they are still using a Foleo while we faithful foleo fans have to wallow about not having it...

Must be hard for someone to really love the Foleo and not be able to share to the world your experiences with it because maybe of a NDA or something...

back to the topic, i think getting an Asus EEe at this point for me would be like settling for a lesser looking girlfriend because you simply could not have the one girl you really want...

as for me, its still the Foleo that i want... specially now that my Powerbook's hard drive is beginning to conk out...
    Hi Q.

You mentioned that you want to tether ....between Asus EEE and Palm Treo. How did it go?

I have Treo 700wx (with Sprint) and I really want to buy the Asus EEE now, but under one condition. I want to be able to tether the Treo 700wx to Asus EEE - Linux OS.

On a a normal laptop, I understand you need PDANet application so Sprint would charge for tethering. I'm not sure PDANet work with Linux. Let's know if you have a solution.

Thanks.
    tml
    I've had the EEE for about a week now, and I love it. Its a great little machine. You don't realize how much you can do on it till you get one and start playing with it. It works great. It hooks up quick with my home network without a problem. The problem I'm having is that I'm new to the Linux system, and I don't know how to set it up with bluetooth dun or USB dun at all. I posted up a question last week about it in the 755 forum and was hoping some of the gurus on this site would be able to help me figure out how to do it. Once I can get this to work, then I will be very happy.

SOOOO PLEASE ANY BODY WHO CAN FIGURE THIS OUT PLEASE HELP....... With this being added that will truly make this a truly mobile device..
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Bulls96, I hear your pain and I hate to be the one to tell you this, because I really loved the Foleo design too, but I don't think it will ever happen. Here is how I think it is going to play out:

In 6 months: Asus releases the next Eee, it has a 10 inch screen, and bluetooth. It has a new ultra low power CPU from Intel that increases battery life substantially and eliminates the need for a fan which in turn extends battery life even more and possibly reduces the thickness. All of the usability kinks and linux issues are knocked out (mostly by the user community). Also in this timeframe, Apple release a small form-factor flash based MacBook with 32 GB running Leopard and ultra-thin. This product completely consumes the high end for ultra-portables.

In 12 months: Asus releases their next generation, it has all of the above, but adds a 32 GB flash chip on the motherboard. (32 GB SD cards will be available by then so I assume the chips will be). A 3G card is available for the PCI-X slot already on the back of the current Eee, as are flash cards. Also in this timeframe, remember its 12 months from now, anybody who is anybody in the laptop space will release an Asus Eee killer after seeing the market it is opening up now. There will be enough variations on the theme to meet everybody's particular needs, all running roughly the same OS.

In 18 months: Palm releases their first linux based smartphone and turns their attention back to the Foleo. What's the point. The product only made sense if they could create the ecosystem and be the first to do it. The development community they were hoping to tap into will have already found a home in linux, the market will be mature in 18 months and Palm will give up on the idea.

So if you're waiting for anything, I'd wait for the next Eee. Sorry.
    Bulls96, I hear your pain and I hate to be the one to tell you this, because I really loved the Foleo design too, but I don't think it will ever happen. Here is how I think it is going to play out:

In 6 months: Asus releases the next Eee, it has a 10 inch screen, and bluetooth. It has a new ultra low power CPU from Intel that increases battery life substantially and eliminates the need for a fan which in turn extends battery life even more and possibly reduces the thickness. All of the usability kinks and linux issues are knocked out (mostly by the user community). Also in this timeframe, Apple release a small form-factor flash based MacBook with 32 GB running Leopard and ultra-thin. This product completely consumes the high end for ultra-portables.

In 12 months: Asus releases their next generation, it has all of the above, but adds a 32 GB flash chip on the motherboard. (32 GB SD cards will be available by then so I assume the chips will be). A 3G card is available for the PCI-X slot already on the back of the current Eee, as are flash cards. Also in this timeframe, remember its 12 months from now, anybody who is anybody in the laptop space will release an Asus Eee killer after seeing the market it is opening up now. There will be enough variations on the theme to meet everybody's particular needs, all running roughly the same OS.

In 18 months: Palm releases their first linux based smartphone and turns their attention back to the Foleo. What's the point. The product only made sense if they could create the ecosystem and be the first to do it. The development community they were hoping to tap into will have already found a home in linux, the market will be mature in 18 months and Palm will give up on the idea.

So if you're waiting for anything, I'd wait for the next Eee. Sorry.
    Yeah i can definitely see that coming. I really hate that someone else aside from Palm will pick up on this concept and make a fortune out of it. i hate it. but i know it will inevitably happen. My guess is that Steve jobs copies it and take credit for the concept...

the thing is no one ever thought of a solid-state laptop as much as when the Foleo came out...

My hope is this... create the Foleo 2 with the new Treo Plinux device and create a whole new ecosystem based on the Palm-Linux platform... but 18 months is way too late...
  11. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    SOOOO PLEASE ANY BODY WHO CAN FIGURE THIS OUT PLEASE HELP....... With this being added that will truly make this a truly mobile device..
    Tethering is not a problem with the EEE and a Treo. I'm sure that one could probably get the bluetooth DUN hack to work, but I've had some bad experiences with it on my 755p.

Instead, I followed this howto here:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/06/...sb-connection/

It requires that you purchase a $29 USB/Bluetooth modem app after a 30 day trial, but the solution works great.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  12. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    The EEE is a nice little machine, but probably not as usable a formfactor as the Foleo was going to be. They keyboard is barely big enough on the EEE. I find I have to slow way down when typing. I think asus could widen the hole unit by an inch. This would allow for a much more usable keyboard and would barely impact the form factor.

Pictures don't do the EEE justice. It is so small. When I opened the box, I was really suprised at how small it really is.

The EEE comes with a modified version of Xandros Linux, a Debian fork. I don't think Xandros was the best choice for the EEE because it is an OS with a very small user base. The last release was over a year ago. Asus could have done much better with Ubuntu, which has great upstream dev support.

I did actually install Ubuntu on my EEE for a couple days and it runs just fine, it just isn't optimized for the EEE. For example, many of the dialogs won't fit on the EEE screen, so you have to manually move them up to see what button to push. Further Ubuntu takes about 5 times as long to boot as the EEE version of Xandros. A complete reboot on the EEE takes about 15 seconds. It comes out of suspend in like 3 seconds. I like this aspect of the EEE and feel that going to an OS that takes 5 times that to boot up is a downgrade.

I continue to be very impressed with this little unit. It is nearly everything I'd hoped the Foleo would be.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Is this modified version of Xandros Linux compatible with a Sling Player? I would love to be able to have my Sling Box work with the eee pc......
  14. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Is this modified version of Xandros Linux compatible with a Sling Player? I would love to be able to have my Sling Box work with the eee pc......
    It appears there is a method for installing the Winodws Slingplayer on Ubuntu using WINE. For those not familiar with WINE, WINE is a windows emulator for Linux. I'm sure this procedure could be duplicated on Xandros, but I doubt the Eee has the horse power to run WINE and render video at the same time. This little guy only has a 900Mhz processor and 512MB of RAM (although it is very easy to upgrade to 1GB).

I'm surprised someone hasn't ported a Sling player over to Ubuntu or Redhat.

I watched some Utube on my Eee with no problem, so the capability is there.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  15. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Bulls, you really should give this unit a shot. Yes, the Foleo looked cooler, but the Eee is really sweet.

The devs have spent some time optimizing the OS for quick performace (i.e., instant on) My not-so-scientic performance results:

Full boot from power off to UI (stock OS): 12 sec;
    Full boot from power off to UI (Ubuntu): 55 sec;

Suspend Session (Stock OS)*: 2 sec;
    Suspect Session (Ubuntu) *: 10 sec;

Restore Session from Suspend (Stock OS): 3 sec;
    Restore Session from Suspect (Ubuntu): 8-10 sec;

* Ubuntu consumes power while in suspend mode where as the default OS does so either VERY slowly or not at all.

Further, the Asus devs have dont something with caching to help apps load really fast once they've been loaded once in a session. Firefox, for example, loads instantly after the first startup.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Bulls, you really should give this unit a shot. Yes, the Foleo looked cooler, but the Eee is really sweet.

The devs have spent some time optimizing the OS for quick performace (i.e., instant on) My not-so-scientic performance results:

Full boot from power off to UI (stock OS): 12 sec;
    Full boot from power off to UI (Ubuntu): 55 sec;

Suspend Session (Stock OS)*: 2 sec;
    Suspect Session (Ubuntu) *: 10 sec;

Restore Session from Suspend (Stock OS): 3 sec;
    Restore Session from Suspect (Ubuntu): 8-10 sec;

* Ubuntu consumes power while in suspend mode where as the default OS does so either VERY slowly or not at all.

Further, the Asus devs have dont something with caching to help apps load really fast once they've been loaded once in a session. Firefox, for example, loads instantly after the first startup.
    I know where you're getting at Q... but currently I am using a 12 inch Powerbook, and there is no way i will replace a 12 inch subnotebook with Mac OSX for an ASUS Eeee... i consider it a downgrade... and i am still happy with my PB...

crazy as it may sound but i would have replaced my PB (and its specs) with only a Foleo and a Foleo alone... thats how crazy i am for that device
  17. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I know where you're getting at Q... but currently I am using a 12 inch Powerbook, and there is no way i will replace a 12 inch subnotebook with Mac OSX for an ASUS Eeee... i consider it a downgrade... and i am still happy with my PB...

crazy as it may sound but i would have replaced my PB (and its specs) with only a Foleo and a Foleo alone... thats how crazy i am for that device
    You're right, that is crazy. The Foleo is more of a downgrade from your powerbook than the Eee is. Neither of these units will replace a full sized notebook, it just gives you a better tool for certain types of mobile computing.

My notebook has been sitting on the floor at home for nearly a week. If I need full notebook power, I have it. Otherwise, the Eee is MUCH nicer to use while on the move than my notebook. I did pick my notebook up last night and dang that thing seems like a boat anchor now.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    harharhar! (acts crazy)

The thing is i had it all setup already...

review my story here... http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=152384

I have my mac mini now and was really all set to have my PB replaced (because i had bought another mac computer to use).
    I've spent days reading about the Eee. I'm afraid I won't be able to get my PIM stuff synced or the DUN hack to work.

Maybe the XP version will be OK for a lightweight user? I just want to surf the web, have a bigger screen than the treo for an office application and sync my PIM stuff and be able to install 3rd party apps to my treo 755p.

I could take the Eee to any decent computer repair store and get them to put XP on it, but I'm thinking preinstalled XP would probably be better, though.

Or I just need to tough out the Linux learning curve or get help with that from the computer repair store.

I'm fearful of making a mistake so am waiting and reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Tethering is not a problem with the EEE and a Treo. I'm sure that one could probably get the bluetooth DUN hack to work, but I've had some bad experiences with it on my 755p.

Instead, I followed this howto here:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/06/...sb-connection/

It requires that you purchase a $29 USB/Bluetooth modem app after a 30 day trial, but the solution works great.

Thanks Q, but I'm trying not to go with the Ubuntu OS, and stay with the Xandros. After playing with it for awhile, I still can't get it to work, not to say it won't with Xandros, but I'm new to linux. So, I'm going to install XP and be done with it and be able to use my PAM plan.

I'm still very impressed with this little machine, it does a lot.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast