Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    I disagree . . . Since this notebook is marketed as an ultra mobile pc, one should expect the keyboard to be small. And since we know that the screen is only 7", then one should further expect the size of the keyboard is quite small.
    So's the keyboard on the Treo, but some of us use that with no problem.

Clearly, it depends on the device, the usage, and the individual - two of which are most apparent after a hands-on experience.

I'm not debating the return policy, as that's not the main issue.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I maintain that some things, like keyboards, just have to be experienced. So unless one is prepared to say that such items should not be purchased online, I wouldn't call that moronic
    That's just silly. The dimensions of the Eee PC are clearly posted at every site selling it. Does it really take some sort of "extended hands-on session" to know 88 keys crammed into 55 square inches means the keys will be small? Additionally, pretty well every reviewer makes some sort of comment about the keyboard size (good, bad, neutral, whatever). The moron at Egghead simply browsed to Egghead's site, looked at a picture, said "ooooo - shiny!", threw down his money and wondered why his $400 purchase wasn't like an Alienware gaming machine. He's clearly a moron - his review is documented proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That's just silly. The dimensions of the Eee PC are clearly posted at every site selling it. Does it really take some sort of "extended hands-on session" to know 88 keys crammed into 55 square inches means the keys will be small?
    I never claimed it wasn't clear that the keyboard was small. Maybe I didn't make my point very well or maybe something else is going on.

Whatever the case, have a good night.
    OK, I have it...

Asus EEE 4G 701 Black
    2 GB Ram Upgrade
    8 GB SD Card

I have NLite installed XP
    Office 2003 with Outlook connected to exchange server
    dozen more assorted programs

This is the perfect Treo companion
    I am hooked up to the Treo now using internet sharing to write this post.

You too give you an idea I am 6'4 and have large hands.
    I am able to use the EEE for exactly what it is am UMPC notebook with as good a keyboard of any UMPC on the market right now.

Of course this keyboard will not compare to a full size key board and it will not replace my HP8000 desktop replacement with full sized keyboard and number pad.

This one will go with me on travels, flights, setting in doctors offices, car service at the dealership, etc..

I studied the EEE for a month before ordering and I am very pleased with my purchase.

PROS:
    - Size of whole unit is just right, any smaller would be a challenge.
    - Supporting XP and ram upgrades are great.
    - Bootup time is great (SSD drive)
    - WIFI great, 3 usb ports, ethernet port great, touch pad great.
    - Truly a baby notebook
    - Strudy build solid feel
    - EEEUSER.com forum is a very solid support site

CONS:
    - Could use a few hardware switches, like wifi switch
    - The display settings are a bt of a challenge and could use a bit more tweaking but no real problem.

Anyway that is my pop review for the moment.

More to follow...

Regards
    graylion
    OK can't stop messing with my new EEE 4G.

I just found my Targus USB Bluetooth adapter.

A download and install of the most recent Broadcom Drivers.

Pair the EEE and the Treo

Internet Sharing Connection on the Treo -> AT&T + Bluetooth PAN

EEE Bluetooth Network Access Point.

So now I am writing this post on my EEE tethered to my Treo 750 using bluetooth. Not as fast as the USB, but very cool and no wires.

Regards...
    graylion
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    OK can't stop messing with my new EEE 4G.

I just found my Targus USB Bluetooth adapter.

A download and install of the most recent Broadcom Drivers.

Pair the EEE and the Treo

Internet Sharing Connection on the Treo -> AT&T + Bluetooth PAN

EEE Bluetooth Network Access Point.

So now I am writing this post on my EEE tethered to my Treo 750 using bluetooth. Not as fast as the USB, but very cool and no wires.

Regards...
    Congrats. How long have you had it?
    West3man,

I was really scared to make the purchase, too. I'm really happy with my Eee, but I'm looking forward to what comes out in the future, too. For now though, I'm so glad to have my Eee.

Don't forget you can plug in an external keyboard, when it's convenient to do so. I've toyed with the idea of buying an external monitor and keyboard for when I'm at home. My life is very mobile though, and I try to own as few possessions as possible.

We all have very different needs and priorities. I know that my priorities are very different from most other people's. My #1 priority is to never have to leave behind a heavy computer that contains information that can be used against me.

As long as I can support and back up my Treo, communicate with the web, and have an office suite, on less than 2.5 pounds, everything else is gravy.

Good luck on your decision. I know it's hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Congrats. How long have you had it?
    3 days and its getting better each day.

The only negative feedback I have so far is the display drivers and fitting the screen without scrolling off.

I have followed a half a dozen threads over at EEEUSER and they are working on it, so it is a matter of time before their is a clean stand alone user fix.

Maybe ASUS will release an upgrade.

Anyway great machine, my wife had a doctors appointment today, you guessed it a lot of waiting room chair time with the EEE and my Treo 750 using USB ICS. The doctors office provides free wifi but none of the staff could tell me the user name and password!

Regards
    graylion
  9.    #209  
    free wi-fi if you can guess the password. brilliant.

graylion, so how big is the blue tooth adapter. what software are you using on the eee to connect via your treo?

cant wait for a 800x600 screen that you dont have to scroll, but from what i read everything is squished.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    graylion, so how big is the blue tooth adapter. what software are you using on the eee to connect via your treo?.
    Here's the BT adapter I got - it's small enough that I never take it out of its USB port: Link.

graylion, so how big is the blue tooth adapter. what software are you using on the eee to connect via your treo?

cant wait for a 800x600 screen that you dont have to scroll, but from what i read everything is squished.

I am jeolous of that small bluetooth adapter it is what I want. For the moment mine is the size of a flash drive.

Here is the broadcom file I used to setup bluetooth connection:
    btwinitialupdate.exe

Regards
    graylion
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    West3man,

I was really scared to make the purchase, too. I'm really happy with my Eee, but I'm looking forward to what comes out in the future, too. For now though, I'm so glad to have my Eee.

Don't forget you can plug in an external keyboard, when it's convenient to do so. I've toyed with the idea of buying an external monitor and keyboard for when I'm at home. My life is very mobile though, and I try to own as few possessions as possible.

We all have very different needs and priorities. I know that my priorities are very different from most other people's. My #1 priority is to never have to leave behind a heavy computer that contains information that can be used against me.

As long as I can support and back up my Treo, communicate with the web, and have an office suite, on less than 2.5 pounds, everything else is gravy.

Good luck on your decision. I know it's hard.
    Thanks for the information but my decision was made months, ago, when I purchased a Sony TX. It's the closest thing I've seen to the best of both worlds.

The Eee would require too much "pimping" for me, but I looooove to drool over gadgetry and recommend'em to those with suitable needs and wants.

I'm really glad you're digging your purchase, though. That's pretty doggone cool.

I must say, I'm also glad that 1) I got to see an Eee in-person and 2) that its (apparently) build quality was much, MUCH higher than that first glimpse we got waybackwhen.

I could see it making a lot of people happy. (Which makes me happy, in some odd way.)
    Here's the BT adapter I got - it's small enough that I never take it out of its USB port: Link.
    Um. Wow.

That is ten freakin' shades of awesome!
    You took the words right out of my mou ...errr... fingertips.
    EEE 800x600 folks, go to your graphics properties where you set the resolution, and hit the Advanced Button. Then go to the Adapter Tab. Hit 'List All Modes..' You will be able to select 800x480 True Color in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    EEE 800x600 folks, go to your graphics properties where you set the resolution, and hit the Advanced Button. Then go to the Adapter Tab. Hit 'List All Modes..' You will be able to select 800x480 True Color in here.
    Just curious - how do Eee users benefit from doing that?
    800x480 is the EEE's screen resolution. If you are set on 800x600 resolution, you have to scroll up and down to see the rest of the pixels.
  18.    #218  
    thanks for the info, not being in stock, i went looking for another.

i got Kensington K33902US Bluetooth USB Micro Adapter. it does cost 15 more.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    OK now the display thing is better.

With a driver download and very easy update you can have

800 x 600 (no scrolling)
    1024 x 768 (no scrolling)

I use 800 x 600 as 1024 x 768 is a bit small.

The eeeuser post is listed here:
    http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=14652

I tell you my EEE just keeps getting better.

Regards
    graylion
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast