Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
  1.    #181  
    what is the biggest sd card the asus can use?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    It supports SDHC so I suppose the biggest you can find will work. On the forums (forum.eeeuser.com) people are using the 16GB ones just fine, at least on XP.
    There might be a problem with the card reader on some Eees. People seem to be having better success with thumbdrives than cards, when installing programs. I was unable to install Office 2007 onto a 4GB Toshiba card but was able to install it on a 8GB Memorex thumbdrive.
    No problems with my 8GB and 16GB A-Data SDHC cards - and my Eee PC 701 is my primary work machine now.
    I have been using my EEE 4G for a week now and I truly like it. I have my Brother MFC5440cn working over the wireless network. I have enabled the "advanced" desktop, but I don't use it much. I have attempted to get BT networking with my Treo working with no success as yet. I will try again, I'm sure. eeeuser.com is the best resource out there for all things eee, IMO. What a great little computer. I haven't had the first regret for purchasing this instead of a bigger notebook.
    I've been using my Asus EEE PC (2g pink surf) for about a week and a half. I've been using Windows XP (an Nlite'd version) on it for a week now (installed on the SSD.) I've been able to remote desktop into my home PC and PCs at work. I've been able to use a Bluetooth dongle to connect to my Razr & use Alltel's DUN, to get to the 'net. (That way, I don't have to have a data plan & only use my Alltel minutes.) (I don't have a Treo, but my husband does.) I'm also able to VPN & telnet to an unix box at work.

I've got Quicken, Mastercook, PDAReach & ACDSee Photo Manager installed on my Asus & they all work great.

One of the keys to using WinXP SP2 on the EPC is to turn off paging, turn off automatic upgrades & install programs to a USB drive.

I have ALOT of programs on my desktop & do not anticipate the EPC ever replacing my desktop. Especially, since many of my other programs are CPU hogs. But for mobile computing, I really love this thing!

PS - I'm in the process of trying to get Xandros booting up from an SD card. I know many have done this...I've just not achieved it, yet.
    Last edited by Silly Rabbit; 01/21/2008 at 03:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I'm shaking my head in confusion because I've never seen a desktop UI closer to the look and feel of the Palm OS UI as what the Eee provides.

I guess this is a prime example of why Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company. Other OSs have no hope of competing when users get confused when the UI doesn't look exactly like classic windows OS. Sad....
    I went with Windows not because of the look & feel but because after dinking with Xandros for a few days, I could not do the tasks I want to do on the EPC. I even tried WINE to run Quicken with no luck. Admittedly, if I were more fluent in Linux, I may have been able to do that. But I choose to not spend many hours over the next few months becoming a Linux master. And after loading WinXP onto the EPC, within a matter of hours, I was able to do EVERYTHING I wanted to do with the EPC.

What's really sad, is if someone can't accept that whole "different strokes for different folks" thing. It's my EPC & it's doing the things I purchased it for. (shrug)
    Palm TX fan. I don't have a Treo...I'm here for the Asus EPC discussion!

(But my husband has a Treo, so can I still play???)
    There is a developers' version of Palm Garnet which could be used in EEE pc (Linus or Xp version). Quite interesting.

http://www.ninelocks.com/blog/wp-con.../snapshot1.png
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    For a number of reasons, no. I find the EEE PC to be more useful and less limiting than the Foleo. The Foleo was very nice in a few ways but it was simply too limited.
    Given what I've read and see of the Foleo, I would agree. IMO, the only thing the Foleo has on the EEE is a little better form factor and looks.

The EEE fits my needs perfectly for an ultra mobile device. My ONLY complaint is the 3.5 hr battery life, which is supposted to be increased to over 5 hrs when the EEE II comes out later this spring.

This is one SWEET little unit.

Bulls, you any closer to getting one??
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Bulls, you any closer to getting one??

Nope. If my powerbook becomes crippled and useless beyond affordable repair, i will probably get an Asus instead of any other laptop, and IF there is still no Foleo when that time comes
    - Linux should then output several lines showing that a connection is being made. You are now connected. To disconnection, simply unplug your Treo of shut off the usbmodem software on your Treo. To redial, just input the command listed above to dial. At some point, I'll make instructions on creating an Eee icon to make a DUN connection
    Q, did you ever get your 755p connected to your Xandros EEE with Bluetooth? I've really had a hard time with this.

Thanks for your help with USB DUN, by the way!

E
    I have studied the ASUS EEE here and at eeeusers for about a month.

I used nlite to create a modified Windows XP load disk and I already own a external usb case with a cd drive.

So I ordered one from new egg.

- Black ASUS EEE 701 4G
    - 2GB Ram
    - 8 GB HCSD Card

I am stoked.

I ordered for several reasons:

- I enjoy the challenge of having to manage the installation, change of os, smaller space environment.
    - Have wanted a Foleo, EEE, UMPC, Shift for a while now for ease or portability/travel with true windows to utilize the software.

So now the wait...

Updates to follow. Updates and questions I imagine...

Regards
    graylion
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    So I ordered one from new egg.
    Have fun with it. I got mine in November and now use it as my primary machine around the office. You won't regret your purchase.
    A guy in one of my classes whipped out an Eee. I had to go over and ogle it.

I knew it was tiny, but DAYUM! The guy said it does what he needs and he got it from NewEgg for $250. I didn't know they were that low.

For $250, I can't down it too much. Dude did say, though, that the cramped keyboard was a challenge.

It was even smaller than my TX, which makes sense, but I didn't expect it to be THAT tiny! Geez.

Enter gadget-lust pt ∞.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Ouch. Just read some rough reviews at NewEgg.

Dunno how typical this one is, but it made an impression:

" Pros: It's small. I thought this would be the perfect machine for my on location reporting work. I'm a journalist. All I want to do with it is write text, nothing else. For that the power, memory and OS (linux) of this machine is more than sufficient.
    Cons: The keyboard is too small. I DO NOT HAVE huge fingers. Just medium. This machine will be a huge flop, like others that couldn't provide keyboards for adults and not just Chinese child orphans on whom they must've tested their keyboards. It is simply impossible to type comfortably on this machine. So I thought, no problem, i'll just return. No go. I just read newegg's return policy: no returns on laptops, no exceptions. So there you go. Another white elephant in my closet and probably last time I will respond to New Egg's emails dangling seemingly fantastic deals in front of me.
    Other Thoughts: A computer you can't use is too expensive at ANY PRICE. "

The Cons seem to outweigh the Pros on this one. I was already skeptical, though interested, but dang.

Maybe for kids this'd be a better option.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Ouch. Just read some rough reviews at NewEgg.

Dunno how typical this one is, but it made an impression:

" Pros: It's small. I thought this would be the perfect machine for my on location reporting work. I'm a journalist. All I want to do with it is write text, nothing else. For that the power, memory and OS (linux) of this machine is more than sufficient.
    Cons: The keyboard is too small. I DO NOT HAVE huge fingers. Just medium. This machine will be a huge flop, like others that couldn't provide keyboards for adults and not just Chinese child orphans on whom they must've tested their keyboards. It is simply impossible to type comfortably on this machine. So I thought, no problem, i'll just return. No go. I just read newegg's return policy: no returns on laptops, no exceptions. So there you go. Another white elephant in my closet and probably last time I will respond to New Egg's emails dangling seemingly fantastic deals in front of me.
    Other Thoughts: A computer you can't use is too expensive at ANY PRICE. "

The Cons seem to outweigh the Pros on this one. I was already skeptical, though interested, but dang.

Maybe for kids this'd be a better option.
    The reviewer is a moron. First, he had to have to checked off that he read the return policy before his order can be placed. If he didn't understand that he can't return it, then . . .

Of course the keyboard is small! It's supposed to be small. Every review that I have read discusses the size of the keyboard and screen. If he didn't do any research on the product before buying it, then he deserves his dissatisfaction. Since I've been working on it for a few weeks, I can now type almost as fast on it as I can on a full size keyboard.

It sure doesn't look like the Asus Eee is a flop, does it? Retailers can't keep them in stock. Your best option is to see if you can put your hands on one and see if it will suit you. Oh, if he hates the computer that much, he could probably sell it on ebay for as much as he paid for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    The reviewer is a moron. First, he had to have to checked off that he read the return policy before his order can be placed. If he didn't understand that he can't return it, then . . .

Of course the keyboard is small! It's supposed to be small. Every review that I have read discusses the size of the keyboard and screen. If he didn't do any research on the product before buying it, then he deserves his dissatisfaction. Since I've been working on it for a few weeks, I can now type almost as fast on it as I can on a full size keyboard.

It sure doesn't look like the Asus Eee is a flop, does it? Retailers can't keep them in stock. Your best option is to see if you can put your hands on one and see if it will suit you. Oh, if he hates the computer that much, he could probably sell it on ebay for as much as he paid for it.
    I think the reviewer's primary gripe was the size of the keyboard, which seems like the kind of thing that's hard to fully grasp without an extended hands-on session. It's a crap shoot.
    I think the reviewer's primary gripe was the size of the keyboard, which seems like the kind of thing that's hard to fully grasp without an extended hands-on session. It's a crap shoot.
    It's a crap shoot if you don't do any research, that's for sure. Just this portion of "the moron's" review confirm's his ignorance:
    Quote Originally Posted by the clueless moron at Newegg
    This machine will be a huge flop, like others that couldn't provide keyboards for adults and not just Chinese child orphans on whom they must've tested their keyboards.
    The 1,000,000 units ordered so far this year coupled with the 350,000 units sold last year sort of puts a dent in this guy's (bigoted, non sequitur) assertion, ya think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's a crap shoot if you don't do any research, that's for sure. Just this portion of "the moron's" review confirm's his ignorance:
    The 1,000,000 units ordered so far this year coupled with the 350,000 units sold last year sort of puts a dent in this guy's (bigoted, non sequitur) assertion, ya think?
    I maintain that some things, like keyboards, just have to be experienced. So unless one is prepared to say that such items should not be purchased online, I wouldn't call that moronic
    I maintain that some things, like keyboards, just have to be experienced. So unless one is prepared to say that such items should not be purchased online, I wouldn't call that moronic
    I disagree . . . Since this notebook is marketed as an ultra mobile pc, one should expect the keyboard to be small. And since we know that the screen is only 7", then one should further expect the size of the keyboard is quite small. Further, most online retailers have a no return policy for other than a tech problem. Because of that, I would never have ordered this online if I wasn't sure I could use the keyboard first.