1.    #1  
    I felt cheated by the Asus eee. becos the price has risen so much since its orginal price. At $199 sure,, its a great deal but now at $499 for the top end model, I might as well get the foleo. for just $100 more. Which has a bigger screen. plus instant on feature.

Sorry Jeff for not supporting your project.
    The most expensive version is still only $399, not $499. Does a $200 difference make you feel better?
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/17/a...ed-299-to-399/

Surur
  3.    #3  
    Yes $ 200 is not too much if the screen can show a full web page.
    You know that they canned the foleo (at least in its first incarnation) right?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  5.    #5  
    yes
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    If I got what he was saying, he meant that wishes he had supported the Foleo before, but didn't because of it's price, and how it appeared the Asus Eee could produced something similar for a much cheaper price. But now the price on the Asus has risen to just $100 cheaper than the Foleo was going to be released at (after rebate), and now it's too late to support it.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    yeah asus messed up big time announcing a $199 price in w/c they ultimately cant achieve.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms View Post
    yeah asus messed up big time announcing a $199 price in w/c they ultimately cant achieve.
    Better than announcing a product they can't achieve!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  9.    #9  
    personally, i wish Palm would just built a cheap 10" laptop. with 16 gb memory, 1 gb ram, bluetooth, IR. with Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonwangls View Post
    personally, i wish Palm would just built a cheap 10" laptop. with 16 gb memory, 1 gb ram, bluetooth, IR. with Linux.
    I'm with you on that bro.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I actually was their target market -- I want a small, solid-state laptop for light word processing, web browsing, and email, optimized for battery life and fast boot times. Typical laptops are not well suited for motorcycle travel...

Ended up with a AT&T Tilt, but I still want a bigger display, browser tabs (or multiple browser windows) and a full-sized keyboard.

Rusty J
    (Plethora of Palms, Treos 90-650, Samsung Q1 tablet, Blackjack, Tilt)
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Better than announcing a product they can't achieve!
    Palm's reasons for dropping the Foleo weren't down to not being able to produce it, the fact there are Foleo's out there proves that Asus may have raised the price because what could be seen as the main competitor no longer exists.
    The Asus EEE PC totally sucks now. I wonder if they raised the price because Palm got rid of the Foleo, so there was really no competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Palm's reasons for dropping the Foleo weren't down to not being able to produce it, the fact there are Foleo's out there proves that.
    Correct - Palm's reason for dropping the Foleo was the device's lack of a viable market.

Asus may have raised the price because what could be seen as the main competitor no longer exists.
    Not really - there are plenty of other devices out there like this one to keep Asus on its toes.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Palm's reasons for dropping the Foleo weren't down to not being able to produce it, the fact there are Foleo's out there proves that
    I'm sure they could manufacture something, it just didn't do what they originally wanted it to. Hence they couldn't produce the product they wanted, at anything near a sane price.

Foleo was billed as a "smartphone companion" remember? It was too big to be that, and too weedy to be a sub-laptop. The Asus is a viable sub-laptop, though not a smartphone companion (trying to resist the temptation to add "whatever one of those is"!)
    Last edited by tirk; 12/30/2007 at 10:35 AM.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...