Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Happy to hear it from our CEO. From ZDNet's David Berlind. Interview with Ed Colligan from yesterday's conference

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=802

The question now is when? Its definitely after the next gen Treo... so will it be that long?

I still want the Foleo1 pls. Like i always said... even without support...
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Happy to hear it from our CEO. From ZDNet's David Berlind. Interview with Ed Colligan from yesterday's conference

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=802

The question now is when? Its definitely after the next gen Treo... so will it be that long?
    Quote Originally Posted by the ZDNet Article
    According to Colligan, the Foleo may be on ice, but it’s the next generation Palm platform inside of it that the Foleo really represented and he said that it is most definitely the future for Palm and it will come back but just exactly what form factor it comes back in is yet to be decided.
    With that vague answer, Colligan might simply be describing the Linux-based Treo. He certainly isn't taking about a "Foleo 2" per se - just it's innards (i.e. functionality). I wonder how dry Ed's mouth is breathing in all that technology dust kicked up from everyone else blowing by him.
    To be honest, that article is just odd...

'..come up with a 3G handset designed to go after that “heart” of the market with a best-in-class device that wasn’t a smartphone but that used the Palm OS and that was available for under $100"

Huh? The Palm Centro is a smartphone. It's a Treo 680P made smaller. There's not one specification that is different. Camera's the same, EvDO radio is the same. It's just smaller and less expensive. I'm not complaining, mind you. The price point is good. I hope it sells well and keeps Palm afloat to the next series of devices. But if David Berlind thinks this is something new, he clearly has no idea what the heck he is talking about.

As for the Foleo 2, the comment "...and he said that it is most definitely the future for Palm and it will come back but just exactly what form factor it comes back in is yet to be decided." is good to see. They're not backing away from the device. They shouldn't. IMO, it will work. OTOH, that they are rethinking the form factor is somewhat disappointing. I thought the form factor was one of the most appealing elements of the device.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post

As for the Foleo 2, the comment "...and he said that it is most definitely the future for Palm and it will come back but just exactly what form factor it comes back in is yet to be decided." is good to see. They're not backing away from the device. They shouldn't. IMO, it will work. OTOH, that they are rethinking the form factor is somewhat disappointing. I thought the form factor was one of the most appealing elements of the device.
    I think they may update the form factor of the Foleo... since it will be delayed it should be up to par with the technology at the time it will be released...

my bet - same size and weight, only with a twisting touchscreen... a.k.a. Foleo Tablet.

Wouldnt it be nice to have 2 Foleo form factors with 2 different price points? A Foleo Standard and a Foleo Tablet... Sounds real good to me!

You know what i would still buy? - the Foleo Classic
    So Colligan thinks just by changing the name he can suddenly make the Centro less complex and buggy than a 755p? Thats pure Palm madness.

Edit: Actually watching the Video is pretty far away from the article. Colligan said he saw the Centro as an entry-level smartphone for people stepping up from a feature phone, not as a feature phone itself.

Re the Foleo, he said he could "envision" doing another Foleo. Thats an extremely lukewarm response, suggesting to me he has no current plans.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 09/30/2007 at 04:24 AM.
    If he has any sense, he'll ban the word "foleo" from palm's vocabulary.
  7.    #7  
    This was again touched in the last video conference. He reiterated his desire to make a "Foleo-like" device. Click on the audio link in the article below.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...m-os-progress/

I do think Palm will use a different name with it. But being faithful to the "concept" of the Foleo is good enough for me. What's in a name anyway? what's important is we get a device with the same form-factor as the Foleo and with more functionality.

btw... Ed Colligan LOVES his Foleo, admits to still using it... now why cant we Foleo lovers have a piece of the fun? its us here who are loving it just as much as you do Ed, even without actually usin it or holding it. I want one.
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Ran across this in another TC thread: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/1...-to-investors/

Sounds to me like they really are re-grouping and trying to make a go of an in-house Linux. I had myself convinced they were just working on ALP.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I think they may update the form factor of the Foleo... since it will be delayed it should be up to par with the technology at the time it will be released...

my bet - same size and weight, only with a twisting touchscreen... a.k.a. Foleo Tablet.

Wouldnt it be nice to have 2 Foleo form factors with 2 different price points? A Foleo Standard and a Foleo Tablet... Sounds real good to me!

You know what i would still buy? - the Foleo Classic
    It sure would be nice if Palm is truely planning on a Foleo II. However, they took alot of mud in the face with the first Foleo. This won't be forgotten anytime soon by the user base, nor their stock holders. A second round of Hawkin's pipe dream may not fly with Palm's Board of Directors regardless of how good their new Palm-Linux OS is.

With respect to the Foleo Classic: I've been taking a closer look at the Asus EEE PC and there really might be something to this device. Reviews are starting to pop up and it's looking very promising, especially the 10" model. It is being reported that one can fire this device up in a simple or standard mode. In simple mode, the device is configured for web browsing, emailing, and messaging (sound familiar). Get DUN to the Treo going on this and we'd have something.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I've been taking a closer look at the Asus EEE PC and there really might be something to this device. Reviews are starting to pop up and it's looking very promising, especially the 10" model. It is being reported that one can fire this device up in a simple or standard mode. In simple mode, the device is configured for web browsing, emailing, and messaging (sound familiar). Get DUN to the Treo going on this and we'd have something.
    The Eee looks interesting, though I've seen conflicting info about whether the 10" model will be produced or not. The 7" models are (at the moment) due in the US around the end of October or early November.

They don't have Bluetooth, at least not built in. And the keyboard looks a bit small.
  11. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTeeVee View Post
    The Eee looks interesting, though I've seen conflicting info about whether the 10" model will be produced or not. The 7" models are (at the moment) due in the US around the end of October or early November.

They don't have Bluetooth, at least not built in. And the keyboard looks a bit small.
    I'm really hoping they do put out a 10" model. I also read that there is a new Intel mobile platform that will be used in the Eee soon. This platform will further reduce power consumption, heat, and noise.

Not having bluetooth isn't that big of a deal really.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I'm really hoping they do put out a 10" model. I also read that there is a new Intel mobile platform that will be used in the Eee soon. This platform will further reduce power consumption, heat, and noise.

Not having bluetooth isn't that big of a deal really.
    Can it take an EVDO card instead?
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
  13. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    Can it take an EVDO card instead?
    Well it has USB ports, so shouldn't be a problem. One could likely teather a Smartphone or plugin a USB Aircard.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  14.    #14  
    Yet another Palm official says the Foleo shall return...

http://www.wirelessweek.com/article.aspx?id=154550
    What they should do with the Foleo II or whatever name it will be is make it NOT a smartphone companion, relying on the Treo or smartphone as much as the Foleo I did. That, in my mind is probably its biggest mistake.

Asus is on to something with its Eee pc and what I expected the Foleo to have been, but instead, well, you know the history.

Ed should just keep his mouth shut. Or better yet, Palm should get a better CEO who can really get Palm back on top. I'm surprised Elevation hasn't fired him yet. Nothing personal but after a few subpar years, it's time for a change at the top.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    It's a Treo 680P made smaller. There's not one specification that is different. Camera's the same...
    Nope, the 680 had a VGA camera, the Centro's is 1.3 megapixel
    For palm to be devoting its resources to anything other than fielding a competitive, next-gen smartphone is ludicrous. A foleo isn't going to save palm. lack of real innovation may kill them.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    For palm to be devoting its resources to anything other than fielding a competitive, next-gen smartphone is ludicrous. A foleo isn't going to save palm. lack of real innovation may kill them.
    i beg to differ. they WERE INNOVATING when they introduced the Foleo! They were innovating a whole new category of devices that goes between a smartphone and a laptop. Its a NEW IDEA, ORIGINAL CONCEPT...

Maybe people's idea of innovation is putting all the features they could possibly think of in a single device or a new wow "form factor" or something... but thats not innovation... its more like an upgrade/update...

innovation is a brand new concept, a new perspective of looking at the mobile computing space...That was what Foleo was all about, and thats the same reason why people had a hard time accepting it, because it is something new... and for a while then Palm was starting to get the people's attention to this concept and more people were beginning to understand its place in the digital world... and then they pull the plug

thats why it was so hard for us foleo fanatics when it was cancelled... not because it was a device we really thought fit our needs, but it felt like Palm was back in the game of innovation... Jeff Hawkins was again giving us a new vision of the future... and i still believe time will come when Jeff Hawkins will have the last laugh because the perfect smartphone will soon come along... but you will still need a full screen and full size keyboard... and Jeff Hawkins will just "wink" at you and say "i told you so"
    nnovation is a brand new concept, a new perspective of looking at the mobile computing space...
    Close. Innovation is an original idea that has some sort of utility outside of a small niche. The Foleo wasn't innovation - it was doodling, putzing, fooling around, guessing.

thats why it was so hard for us foleo fanatics when it was cancelled... not because it was a device we really thought fit our needs, but it felt like Palm was back in the game of innovation... Jeff Hawkins was again giving us a new vision of the future...
    Which is why the vast majority of the marketplace sat in disbelief. Jeff Hawkins had rehashed the same old thing (original Handheld PC, anemic capabilities and all) for an outrageous price. It was like his science fair project was suddenly due and in a panic he built the "baking soda volcano."

and i still believe time will come when Jeff Hawkins will have the last laugh because the perfect smartphone will soon come along... but you will still need a full screen and full size keyboard... and Jeff Hawkins will just "wink" at you and say "i told you so"
    As sad as it may be, Jeff's days as an industry driver are over. He hasn't had an original idea since 2000. I think you need to find a new hero to worship.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    i beg to differ. they WERE INNOVATING when they introduced the Foleo!
    But they didn't introduce it, they canned it!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast