Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Close. Innovation is an original idea that has some sort of utility outside of a small niche. The Foleo wasn't innovation - it was doodling, putzing, fooling around, guessing.

Which is why the vast majority of the marketplace sat in disbelief. Jeff Hawkins had rehashed the same old thing (original Handheld PC, anemic capabilities and all) for an outrageous price. It was like his science fair project was suddenly due and in a panic he built the "baking soda volcano."

As sad as it may be, Jeff's days as an industry driver are over. He hasn't had an original idea since 2000. I think you need to find a new hero to worship.
    1. they werent doodling, fooling around my friend... Palm had a whole Foleo team hardworking ones and very enthusiastic about the product that really worked hard on it... it is actually a device already made and from the early feedback it was working quite well

2. Again i will not argue anymore that the Foleo was indeed a new product, a new category. its wasnt an "old thing". I will agree though that the project was months away from its full potential as a device.

3. That is yet to be seen my friend. We will see if a "smartphone companion" will be a joke or indeed a concept that the whole mobile world will be using in the future... to quote JH "the farther you go with your vision, the harder it is to understand"... Dont judge him yet or his status as a visionary... the smartphone world is just beginning to expand (c/o the iPhone of course, or maybe the Centro )
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    1. they werent doodling, fooling around my friend... Palm had a whole Foleo team hardworking ones and very enthusiastic about the product that really worked hard on it... it is actually a device already made and from the early feedback it was working quite well
    Team size and enthusiasm are meaningless metrics when touting a device notable only by how little interest its target market had for it. I could form a team of hard working, enthusiastic, buggy whip makers and construct the perfect whips, but if I can only sell it to a few Amish farmers in Pa when I intended to sell it to the transportation market, I've failed.

2. Again i will not argue anymore that the Foleo was indeed a new product, a new category. its wasnt an "old thing". I will agree though that the project was months away from its full potential as a device.
    Good, because it will continue to be a pointless argument. Although the Foleo concept had been done before (with middling success), the important learning point is even at it's full potential, the market's yawn factor over the Foleo was deafening.

3. That is yet to be seen my friend. We will see if a "smartphone companion" will be a joke or indeed a concept that the whole mobile world will be using in the future... to quote JH "the farther you go with your vision, the harder it is to understand"... Dont judge him yet or his status as a visionary... the smartphone world is just beginning to expand (c/o the iPhone of course, or maybe the Centro )
    That quote is priceless. It's precisely the kind of quote that makes an entire customer base look up, **** their heads, and say "whaaa...?!?" Anyone claiming to be a visionary, who can only explain that vision's usefulness to a fraction of his intended consumers, is blind to the marketplace. Like I said, Jeff really hasn't had a new idea since 2000 - and the Foleo is proof.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Team size and enthusiasm are meaningless metrics when touting a device notable only by how little interest its target market had for it. I could form a team of hard working, enthusiastic, buggy whip makers and construct the perfect whips, but if I can only sell it to a few Amish farmers in Pa when I intended to sell it to the transportation market, I've failed.

Good, because it will continue to be a pointless argument. Although the Foleo concept had been done before (with middling success), the important learning point is even at it's full potential, the market's yawn factor over the Foleo was deafening.

That quote is priceless. It's precisely the kind of quote that makes an entire customer base look up, **** their heads, and say "whaaa...?!?" Anyone claiming to be a visionary, who can only explain that vision's usefulness to a fraction of his intended consumers, is blind to the marketplace. Like I said, Jeff really hasn't had a new idea since 2000 - and the Foleo is proof.
    I think there was a market for the Foleo, and then some, because Palm was really reaching out to people about the concept and hit some chords with some people... i am not sure about the number of people but it did work well for its intended market i believe... heck how many traveling businessmen would love a device like that? traveling journalists? bloggers? even in my field, the medical field, i can see a use for it... imagine doctors doing rounds in a hospital with a Foleo (and a Treo) and accessing labs and records thru the hospital's wifi on a Foleo having instant access to a patient's new labs or reports...

a lot of visionaries are misunderstood... scorned or laughed at and not all of them are wrong for it... and again, only time will tell if JH will be a visionary or not... so id wait til i make that judgement...

just out of curiosity, what kind of vision of the mobile computing world can you offer? what is an innovation from Palm mean to you?
    I think there was a market for the Foleo,
    Yes - a small niche market - something a company of Palm's size and market can't afford to focus on given the market share downward spiral they're in.

i am not sure about the number of people but it did work well for its intended market i believe... heck how many traveling businessmen would love a device like that? traveling journalists? bloggers? even in my field, the medical field, i can see a use for it... imagine doctors doing rounds in a hospital with a Foleo (and a Treo) and accessing labs and records thru the hospital's wifi on a Foleo having instant access to a patient's new labs or reports...
    You just described a bunch of markets which can afford a device that's equally small/portable, an order of magnitude more capable, and more widely used across multiple marketplaces (with the accompanying economies of scale). Palm's Foleo is essentially a repackaged the OLPC, except with fewer capabilities given the two devices' intended markets.

a lot of visionaries are misunderstood... scorned or laughed at and not all of them are wrong for it... and again, only time will tell if JH will be a visionary or not... so id wait til i make that judgement...
    A lot of crackpots are self-proclaimed (or more sadly, proclaimed by blind followers) visionaries - it doesn't mean they're making a real change. Visionaries are a dime-a-dozen in this industry. Doers are visionaries that get it done. Jonney Shih, CEO of ASUS, is getting it done with the Eee PC. You don't see 1/100th of the industry as interested in the Foleo - a very similar, but somehow off-target concept.

just out of curiosity, what kind of vision of the mobile computing world can you offer? what is an innovation from Palm mean to you?
    1. Sell Palm short...while you can.
    2. The Treo 180 was truly visionary. The Treo 270 was a significant refinement. The Treo 600 was a slightly improved 270, and the Treo 650 was a slightly tweaked 600. The 700p is a 650 with a new number on it. During that same period, hundreds of other devices have gotten smaller, thinner, faster, multi-taskable, more stable, more usable, more powerful. Palm might consider what all those adjectives mean before they put out yet-another-clunker in their circa-2000 product line.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12