Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Who else is with me on this one?

I was so psyched to get the Foleo! i have already thought of selling my 12" "maxed out - 1.5GB RAM SD 80GB HD" Apple Powerbook to get one (a trade off MANY would laugh at), have already bought an Intel mac mini 2 months too early (or else i would have gotten the new minis) to replace my powerbook as my main (mac) computer at home... and I even dumped my current AT&T Sony Ericsson w300i phone (with 1 year and 1 month left on the contract), and signed up 2 years with Sprint (whose coverage sucks here in Mississippi) to get a Treo 755p... i actually was looking for an unlocked Treo 680 at first when they launched the FOleo but when its comaptibility issues with the Foleo came out, I made a decision to jump boat and get the Treo 755p with Sprint...

My participation in Treocentral even went up probably 500%! and blogs such as Foleofanatic, Foleocentral, even Ben Combee's blog... all the Treo and FOleo stuff i was sucking up...

My mind was all set... My mac mini at home to serve as my primary computer and will contain all my important data, and just my Treo and the Foleo in my bag to serve my mobile computing needs... was supposed to be in mobile computing heaven... Just as Hawkins had envisioned it... It was all there already, just waiting patiently for Sept-October to arrive...

and then DUD....

Palm left me... it was like a girl whom i have spent all my money on to court and just left me with nothing...

Now everytime i look at my powerbook and carry it around with me, i start to despise it, hate the weight, and sulk at the size (which in reality is not so bad for mac notebook)... and everytime i look at Best Buy or any computer store.. i look for Foleo's size, Foleo's price, and Foleo's looks...

Man i'm pathetic i know.. but that's how i feel

Now i have a Treo, Mac Mini, and a Powerbook... not a bad combo really but that void still remains... so hard to be a Palm fanboy nowadays... but thats what i am...
  2. vrf
    Yeah, I'm with you. I had the money set aside already. And you're right... Palm treated the potential Foleo customers like crap.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Oh I feel it. I'm glad I always was able to resist the urge to buy my compact flash card and SD card... just waiting another day to see if the price would lower since the Foleo wasn't out yet. I was close several times.

Over the past two weeks, I've seen 3 students run their laptop batteries down in class, and of course thought about the Foleo.

I don't know what to do now either, except wait, and make do.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I feel kinda disappointed but more sorry for Palm actually. I do hope they can pool their resources and focus their energies on the next gen OS, get snazzy Treos out to compete with the stidd competition.
    I hope they will eventually produce a Foleo II too.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    i have already thought of selling my 12" "maxed out - 1.5GB RAM SD 80GB HD" Apple Powerbook

have already bought an Intel mac mini 2 months too early (or else i would have gotten the new minis) to replace my powerbook as my main (mac) computer at home

I even dumped my current AT&T Sony Ericsson w300i phone (with 1 year and 1 month left on the contract), and signed up 2 years with Sprint (whose coverage sucks here in Mississippi) to get a Treo 755p

I made a decision to jump boat and get the Treo 755p with Sprint...

was supposed to be in mobile computing heaven... Just as Hawkins had envisioned it... It was all there already, just waiting patiently for Sept-October to arrive...
    Oops!
  6. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Palm left me... it was like a girl whom i have spent all my money on to court and just left me with nothing...

Now everytime i look at my powerbook and carry it around with me, i start to despise it, hate the weight, and sulk at the size (which in reality is not so bad for mac notebook)... and everytime i look at Best Buy or any computer store.. i look for Foleo's size, Foleo's price, and Foleo's looks...

Man i'm pathetic i know.. but that's how i feel
    There must have been some real issues with the Foleo for them to kill it as late as they did. Probably issues that none of us will ever know about. Look at it from another angle: Palm released the 700P MR completely riddled with bugs. They were about ready to release the Foleo, when someone (or some people) at Palm came to their senses and said "enough is enough."

Looking back at all of the various blog posts and reviews about the Foleo, there were many hints of software shortcomings. These came from people who used the Foleo for only a short period of time at sneakpeaks. No one really had the opportunity to use it for any length of time, which is when the real issues would have surfaced.

The Palm developers knew there were issues with the Foleo and probably voiced concern to managment about needing more time, who in turn told them to deal with it and just get it to market. Palm gave a bunch of the units to third party developers. They probably started calling Palm about bugs. Knowing that if they released it, the Foleo would just blow up in their faces, Palm decided to cut its loses and cancel it.

Count yourself lucky that Palm came to its senses before taking your money for a half baked device. The concept was good, but the delivery was poor. The device that you dreamed of buying, never really existed. Realize that and that void won't seem so wide.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/12/2007 at 11:06 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    There must have been some real issues with the Foleo for them to kill it as late as they did. Probably issues that none of us will ever know about. Look at it from another angle: Palm released the 700P MR completely riddled with bugs. They were about ready to release the Foleo, when someone (or some people) at Palm came to their senses and said "enough is enough."

Looking back at all of the various blog posts and reviews about the Foleo, there were many hints of software shortcomings. These came from people who used the Foleo for only a short period of time at sneakpeaks. No one really had the opportunity to use it for any length of time, which is when the real issues would have surfaced.

The Palm developers knew there were issues with the Foleo and probably voiced concern to managment about needing more time, who in turn told them to deal with it and just get it to market. Palm gave a bunch of the units to third party developers. They probably started calling Palm about bugs. Knowing that if they released it, the Foleo would just blow up in their faces, Palm decided to cut its loses and cancel it.

Count yourself lucky that Palm came to its senses before taking your money for a half baked device. The concept was good, but the delivery was poor. The device that you dreamed of buying, never really existed. Realize that and that void won't seem so wide.
    I really didnt care too much about syncing my mail, which was i hear was their main problem (and supposed to be main selling point), but its just the thought of carrying that small an "internet appliance" in my bag and just using that when i go outside and pair it with my Treo in more ways than one that i will miss...

Look at it this way... its like meeting a really gorgeous girl, i mean everything you wanted in a girl physically was with her... and she was not bad at all attitude wise... i mean here you have a decent educated girl whom you do have a lot of similarities with... but she never really went out with you again... somehow you'll end up looking for that type of girl whenever you meet someone else and they just won't compare... thats how i felt...

But i do get your point... not really missing the device that it was trying to be... but one of the reasons i loved the Foleo was its potential... to me it had an awesome potential to be what the Palm Pilot was for Palm back in the day... and I do believe that in the future, we will all be carrying two devices for our personal computing needs... One that fits in your pocket, and another one which has a full screen and full size keyboard... I REALLY believed in that. I think Bill Gates also alluded to this vision of the "future of PC" in his interview along with Steve Jobs at the D conference

For now, my mind is still just set on a Foleo, or what the Foleo wanted to be... It would have been so perfect to have two devices with the "palm" logo on them on my coffee shop table... the silver device with an "apple" just could not compare with that picture...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    There must have been some real issues with the Foleo for them to kill it as late as they did. Probably issues that none of us will ever know about.
    Or it could be that, outside a few enthusiasts here, there was no market?

Foleo was aimed at the corporate sector, but it did nothing that a cheaper laptop couldn't do, and the guys signing the expenses or approving the list of allowed devices didn't have to carry it (they probably have a Sony VAIO like me ).

And what it couldn't do is quite compelling too.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I am a decision maker for their potential target market. We weren't that interested in email sync with the Treos. We wanted a full email client on board and citrix or a terminal services client to go with that 3rd party vpn client. I was ready to buy a fleet of them. I'm on my 3rd ultra-portable $2,400-$2,800 laptop. I would gladly give ALL my sales people a simple Foleo type device. A cheaper laptop = bigger device; that's not an option. The cost of the ultra-portables have limited our distribution to select executives. The ultra-portables run HOT and present greater support and liability issues.
    I still don't think Palm marketed, understood or communicated an understanding of the Foleo concept to match it's broader potential.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    it did nothing that a cheaper laptop couldn't do, and the guys signing the expenses or approving the list of allowed devices didn't have to carry it.
    I would debate you on that. what about instant on, full standard keyboard, 10inch screen, a device thats as small as a hard cover book and lightweight, at $500...theres nothing in the market that has those features at that same price point... if you see one tell me and i'l buy it and maybe it would fill the void i think you're like other people who fail to see what Foleo had to offer because you focus on what it COULD NOT do... but the Foleo in fact did hit it really right on on a couple of aspects... Form Factor to me is #1.
    I would debate you on that. what about instant on, full standard keyboard, 10inch screen, a device thats as small as a hard cover book and lightweight, at $500...theres nothing in the market that has those features at that same price point... if you see one tell me and i'l buy it and maybe it would fill the void i think you're like other people who fail to see what Foleo had to offer because you focus on what it COULD NOT do... but the Foleo in fact did hit it really right on on a couple of aspects... Form Factor to me is #1.
    Argh! More with the instant on BS. It's called Standby. Any laptop can do it. Do yourself a favor and go buy an Asus EEE when it ships if you really want something like this that bad. It'll have 100x the functionality of the Foleo anyways.

To the OP: I hope you at least got on a SERO plan when you jumped ship to Sprint. If not....I really feel sorry for you.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  12. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    But i do get your point... not really missing the device that it was trying to be... but one of the reasons i loved the Foleo was its potential... to me it had an awesome potential to be what the Palm Pilot was for Palm back in the day... and I do believe that in the future, we will all be carrying two devices for our personal computing needs... One that fits in your pocket, and another one which has a full screen and full size keyboard... I REALLY believed in that. I think Bill Gates also alluded to this vision of the "future of PC" in his interview along with Steve Jobs at the D conference
    Exactly. The potential is what I really liked about the device as well. It boils down to the form factor and simplicity of use.

I disagree with you, and with Palm, with respect to what kind of devices we'll use in the future. One of Palm's statements was that people would carry a small computer, or a smartphone, with them all of the time that contained all of their important data. A mobile companion would give the user a better set of tools to access the data.

Instead, I think we'll be storing most of our critical data online somewhere. IGoogle is a good example of this. Plaxo is another. We may carry a snapshot of parts of this data with us, such as a copy of our contacts on a smartphone, but the master copy will be stored online.

For this type of a scenario, syncing a mobile companion with a smartphone doesn't buy you anything. It would make more sense if the mobile companion was more standalone and simply used the smartphone as another connection to the internet.

Just a few thoughts.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    ... a device thats as small as a hard cover book and lightweight...
    You miss the point I was making. The weight isn't a factor if you personally don't have to carry it, just pay for it.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    I am a decision maker for their potential target market. We weren't that interested in email sync with the Treos. We wanted a full email client on board and citrix or a terminal services client to go with that 3rd party vpn client. I was ready to buy a fleet of them.
    A very brave decision, given the utter lack of security. I very much doubt you could have bought them in, say, the Financial Services industry, at least in the UK.

As a pure thin client device, however, it just might have had legs.
  15.    #15  
    One of Palm's statements was that people would carry a small computer, or a smartphone, with them all of the time that contained all of their important data. A mobile companion would give the user a better set of tools to access the data.
    Just a few thoughts.
    Is the world really going to save all their sensitive infomation online like that? I don't know about that... I am still reluctant to do that myself. Have no goosync, plaxos, anything that will expose my personal data over the air where anyone who wants to can grab it and i'l be helpless to stop it. Thats why i still stick to my last statement. A Foleo with all your data and your smartphone would be a more "secure" combination rather than a smartphone and the internet.

Although your vision is also what will make Foleo even more successful... Its being a light small internet appliance will allow you to take advantage of all that the internet can offer... a.k.a. Web 2.0... And we will never have to carry overly bloated virus-prone laptops again.
    I just found out yesterday that I have to return my Foleo to Palm. The email stated that development of the current Foleo has ended, and that "A Foleo II will have different hardware," which was tantalizing. "A" Foleo II makes it sound hypothetical, while "will" sounds imminent. I originally thought Palm was going to take a few more months to augment the firmware and flash the existing units.
  17. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    I just found out yesterday that I have to return my Foleo to Palm. The email stated that development of the current Foleo has ended, and that "A Foleo II will have different hardware," which was tantalizing. "A" Foleo II makes it sound hypothetical, while "will" sounds imminent. I originally thought Palm was going to take a few more months to augment the firmware and flash the existing units.
    A nice knee jerk response could be "What Foleo?"

Gameboy, I am curious to hear your impression of the Foleo now that it is canceled. Do you feel that it was a half baked product, or do you feel that it really was ready to go?

From the hit and miss comments I've heard from the people who have Foleos, these people really like them.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    I too am very curious about what you think about the Foleo... Not having a Foleo was hard enough for me, but if i did have a Foleo and had to send it back to Palm, i think that would be more heart breaking! I am excited by your statement that Palm is going to have a Foleo 2 but i am really not pinning any hopes on it, since the Palm Linux is rumored to take 12 months.

Love is truly blind
    I'll have a full article on my reflections this week. I've been holding back on submitting it due to the rather broad NDA. I was vainly hoping that Palm would "forget" what they bestowed. Now that I have to send back the Foleo, I have nothing to lose.

My thumbnail impressions:
    1. Got lots of love from bystanders (the size was the main draw)
    2. Loved not having to carry the charger. I always left it at home
    3. DUN hack works fabulously
    4. Web apps were spotty. Google D&S didn't work. Google Reader did
    5. Not having a PIM was as frustrating as I expected
    6. Being able to touch type email on an instant-on basis really is "all that"
    7. Lack of document synchronization is unacceptable, IMO
    8. Would still rather access email directly on Foleo than only syncing to Treo
    9. Lack of Outline View kept WTG from being my primary writing tool
    10. Easy to carry anywhere, like a Day Runner. I kept it in a neoprene sleeve
    11. I'm offering to buy it at retail from Palm

Not to worry. I'll elaborate soon . . .
    I am excited by your statement that Palm is going to have a Foleo 2 but i am really not pinning any hopes on it, since the Palm Linux is rumored to take 12 months.
    I wasn't saying that Palm is going to have a Foleo II necessarily. That's why I dissected the wording of the sentence in the email. They wrote "A Foleo II," which suggests that it's a hypothetical proposition, then elide to a less hypothetical predicate: "will have different different hardware."

I think the Foleo was effectively "laid off" by the Elevation Partners investment that was just cemented this week. Palm probably needed that cash infusion more than they needed to release an untested product.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast