Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    How do you know the Foleo wouldn't have sold?
    OK then, why DID Palm cancel it? Bad Feng Shui or something??
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  2. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    OK then, why DID Palm cancel it? Bad Feng Shui or something??
    Perhaps Palm's new investor made it a condition of closing the cash infusion deal. Foleo's cancelation led the announcment of the new investor didn't it..

Perhaps Palm was getting negative feedback from their beta testers and realized it wasn't ready to release. This does happen you know. Example: Was MS Vista released on time????

Perhaps Palm realized they were going down the wrong path by developing two Linux platforms and decided to cut their loses.

Perhaps Ed woke up one night with a vision that told him to cancel it.

Who knows.....

Point is, anyone can say what ever they want. Without proof to back it up a statement like "not enough people will buy it", it means NOTHING.

The fact that there is growing interest in the Asus EEE PC, seems to indicate that Palm was on to something.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Perhaps Palm's new investor made it a condition of closing the cash infusion deal. Foleo's cancelation led the announcment of the new investor didn't it..

Perhaps Palm was getting negative feedback from their beta testers and realized it wasn't ready to release. This does happen you know. Example: Was MS Vista released on time????

Perhaps Palm realized they were going down the wrong path by developing two Linux platforms and decided to cut their loses.

Perhaps Ed woke up one night with a vision that told him to cancel it.

Who knows.....

Point is, anyone can say what ever they want. Without proof to back it up a statement like "not enough people will buy it", it means NOTHING.

The fact that there is growing interest in the Asus EEE PC, seems to indicate that Palm was on to something.
    Oh do come off it! There was no sane reason to cancel Foleo other than the expectation of poor sales and you know it.

These so-called competitors offer much more than the Foleo ever did, like a full OS and the potential to add proper applications. And when people (like me) said they were even in the same league as the precious Foleo before it was cancelled other people just responded with "instant on...instant on...instant on..." until they looked like the fools they were!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    While this is the reason that Ed Colligan gave in his "address" on the Palm blog, I still don't fully understand it. Palm knows that it's Linux-based OS for the smartphone line is a year out. It could have released the initial Foleo batch as planned in '07, then issued an OS update when Palm OSII hits the smartphone market in '08. Granted, third-party applications would have to be updated as well, but judging by the speed at which applications were being announced prior to the initial Foleo release, one would think this should have been entirely viable.

In the interest of the thread topic, I've resigned myself to another year of Dell X1 + Treo. Sure, the X1 runs hot and has spotty Bluetooth connectivity with the Treo (still haven't gotten DUN working correctly) and isn't nearly as rugged as the Foleo was purported to be, but it's only 2.5lbs and comes out of standby in about 4 seconds. Still wishing I had a Foleo, though!
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Oh do come off it! There was no sane reason to cancel Foleo other than the expectation of poor sales and you know it.

These so-called competitors offer much more than the Foleo ever did, like a full OS and the potential to add proper applications. And when people (like me) said they were even in the same league as the precious Foleo before it was cancelled other people just responded with "instant on...instant on...instant on..." until they looked like the fools they were!
    We just don't see eye to eye on this, as I simply do not agree with you. Palm wouldn't have taken this product within weeks of deploying it if they didn't think they could sell it.

Maybe the competition will offer more. Until something comes out, we won't know exactly what this is nor how good it works. Asus EEE PC looks like a very good bet. I am becoming excited to get more details on this as they develop. Beyond this unit, there are only very expensive ultra mobiles such as $3000 Sonys.

I don't think anyone talking here looked foolish. Remember, we are just talking. Isn't that the point of a Forum?
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  6. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David.Swinehart View Post
    In the interest of the thread topic, I've resigned myself to another year of Dell X1 + Treo. Sure, the X1 runs hot and has spotty Bluetooth connectivity with the Treo (still haven't gotten DUN working correctly) and isn't nearly as rugged as the Foleo was purported to be, but it's only 2.5lbs and comes out of standby in about 4 seconds. Still wishing I had a Foleo, though!
    Off-Topic: I had a hell of a time getting bluetooth DUN working on my my new Dell notebook as well. I'm betting your X1 uses the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack? If this is the case, I posted on this issue and what worked for me here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=toshiba

Bluetooth DUN and hotsync work fairly well for me now. One just has to be careful that the Bluetooth COM port is assigned to which ever app you intend to use (e.g., DUN or Hotsync).

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by David.Swinehart View Post
    While this is the reason that Ed Colligan gave in his "address" on the Palm blog, I still don't fully understand it. Palm knows that it's Linux-based OS for the smartphone line is a year out. It could have released the initial Foleo batch as planned in '07, then issued an OS update when Palm OSII hits the smartphone market in '08.
    Palm's explanation is that they didn't have the manpower to support that many OS variations. I'll take that at face value.

I don't think it would have been as simple as switching from the "old" Linux platform to the "new" one. (Heck, we can hardly get OS patches anymore, let alone OS replacements.) I wouldn't be surprised if the new OS runs on an entirely different processor than what's in the current Treo (and Foleo).
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTeeVee View Post
    I don't think it would have been as simple as switching from the "old" Linux platform to the "new" one. (Heck, we can hardly get OS patches anymore, let alone OS replacements.) I wouldn't be surprised if the new OS runs on an entirely different processor than what's in the current Treo (and Foleo).
    Fair enough. I could see a more robust Linux OS needing more than the moderate processing power that Palm had planned in the original Foleo.

The tech enthusiasts may not agree with me on this, but I'm hoping that Palm continues to take a businessman's angle on a Foleo-II. I didn't mind that the original plan for the Foleo was a bare-bones processor and set of applications. The basic applications that Foleo focused on were those that I, and many like me, need on a regular basis, and I would still take instant-on capabilities and marathon-level battery life over the ability to watch YouTube.

If the new OS needs more machine to run (or just a different machine), I hope Palm maintains some of these basics.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    We just don't see eye to eye on this, as I simply do not agree with you. Palm wouldn't have taken this product within weeks of deploying it if they didn't think they could sell it.
    Fair enough!
    The Asus EEE has finally been formally announced and it is looking like not too bad a void filler. It is no Foleo. Not as elegant in hardware or software design but it does fill the same concept. I think I may wait for the larger screened versions due out next April if Foleo 2 has not been re-announced by then. Check it out on the ASUS website if you haven't already.

One thing that really gets to me is that they announced the product for $199 just after the Foleo was announced, and all over the web people were bashing the Foleo as too expensive and comparing it to the $199 EEE. Now that it is more than vaporware, a stripped down version is available for $299 and the full version for $399. That is only $100 less than the Foleo and it has a 7 inch display. The 10 inch version will certainly be $499.
  11.    #91  
    the Asus EEE is no Foleo the same way the Sanrio players are no iPods...

the void has not yet been filled...
    Though it's not the foleo (lets keep that clear), I'm wondering if anyone has been using the Asus Eee PC to fill the void. It would be nice to get some thoughts of it from someone using it vs. someone who's never really touched it.

EDIT: Found a pretty big thread on the subject here.
    Last edited by aproposnix; 12/30/2007 at 03:19 PM.
    I was fortunate enough to use the Foleo a bit before they decided to pull the release. I am now the proud owner of the eeePC. I'm using WinXP, syncing Centro, using PDANet, and loving life over here. I took it with me on my holiday trip and all I can say is.....I'm so beyond glad Palm saved me spending that kind of money on a Foleo.
    It does everything I need and with style and speed. My kids upgraded my ram to 2G for xmas and got me a 8G SD card so there is no looking back for me. Long gone are the days of lugging a huge laptop bag with a heavy laptop through an airport or to a meeting.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by fairoasis View Post
    I was fortunate enough to use the Foleo a bit before they decided to pull the release. I am now the proud owner of the eeePC. I'm using WinXP, syncing Centro, using PDANet, and loving life over here. I took it with me on my holiday trip and all I can say is.....I'm so beyond glad Palm saved me spending that kind of money on a Foleo.
    It does everything I need and with style and speed. My kids upgraded my ram to 2G for xmas and got me a 8G SD card so there is no looking back for me. Long gone are the days of lugging a huge laptop bag with a heavy laptop through an airport or to a meeting.

I am happy for you. You;ve got awesome and generous kids!

I agree with you that the Foleo would have been overpriced... then again like the iPod which i think is also overpriced, the Foleo had the "coolness" about it that may just be very well worth some extra bucks. And I think you may have been able to expand its RAM to 8GB as well like the Asus.

Again about the price... buying a Foleo for your Treo for more than an Asus is just like buying a Banana Republic Pants to go along with your Banana Rep coat... you may very well buy pants from Old Navy but a lot of people would still pay for more $$ to get a Banana Rep pair of pants.
    I know what you mean about your BR pants analogy, however, regardless of price, I would buy what fits best. After using the Foleo and the eeePC, the eeePC just fits better and happens to be cheaper.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345