Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Question: besides price, why aren't some of you looking at the Nokia E90 as a suitable Foleo replacement? Just curious.
    The form factor of this device of very poor. Not much more than an EnVe with a few more bells and whistles. Not a suitable Foleo replacement IMO. A Foleo replacement needs to have a full sized keyboard and a LCD large enough to be useful.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Well, that was one of the Foleo's main problems. While Missing Sync was an incomplete solution, and the Palm Desktop for the Mac sucked (then and now), at least there was some sync capability. The Foleo had none, except for email. A Jornada 720 from 2000 had a full PIM suite (Pocket Outlook), a great version of Pocket Word (with Outline View, a feature I consider indispensible, which WTG lacked), a Notes app, etc. -- all with instant-on. But the keyboard was horrible compared to the Foleo. There's just no getting around the need for a full-sized keyboard for larger-than-handheld mobile devices. The ideal device would be the form factor of the Foleo with a software suite comparable to the Jornada or the Psion Series 7/Netbook.
    This i hope to be addressed by the next Foleo... given that it will run the same OS as its Treo counterpart, syncing should be next to perfect.

The split of Palm into Palmone and Palmsource really did our beloved company in... if Palm retained the rights to the OS, Palm OS II Could have been what the iPhone OS is today, and I would be typing this on my Foleo.

Again, I implore Palm.... come up with our Foleo2... its a space in the computing world that you have to be first to fill... i am afraid Apple would beat you to the punch especially with the rumored iTablet...

Give us a Foleo, exactly the same size and design as you had as your basic lowend model, then give us a tablet form factor too with a touchscreen as a higher end model.

Still feelin the void folks... out of frustration I seem to be spending my Foleo money on other things... upgraded my mini's RAM to 1gb w my foleo money.. and bought a bunch of software... but its a temporary relief... still look for the Foleo... havent changed my PB's wallpaper yet (A picture of the Foleo and a Treo)
  3. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Give us a Foleo, exactly the same size and design as you had as your basic lowend model, then give us a tablet form factor too with a touchscreen as a higher end model.

Still feelin the void folks... out of frustration I seem to be spending my Foleo money on other things... upgraded my mini's RAM to 1gb w my foleo money.. and bought a bunch of software... but its a temporary relief... still look for the Foleo... havent changed my PB's wallpaper yet (A picture of the Foleo and a Treo)
    Bulls, I think some other vendors are going to step up and give up some of the aspects of the Foleo that we really wanted. Right now, Sony has a Vaio that seems to offer the formfactor, the batterie life, and they flash memory. Unfortunatley, it is still strapped to M$ Windoze an it costs a few thousand.

What a shame that Palm killed this project.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Bulls, I think some other vendors are going to step up and give up some of the aspects of the Foleo that we really wanted. Right now, Sony has a Vaio that seems to offer the formfactor, the batterie life, and they flash memory. Unfortunatley, it is still strapped to M$ Windoze an it costs a few thousand.

What a shame that Palm killed this project.
    I dont care about what they are gonna offer especially if it runs the bloat*cough*ed Windows...

I want my Foleo and Foleo OS... simple and straightforward... does what i need...

The thing that really scares me is a Foleo-like device from Apple running the iPhone OS... my heart would just bleed if that happens (esp if its gonna sell for <$800)
  5. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    The thing that really scares me is a Foleo-like device from Apple running the iPhone OS... my heart would just bleed if that happens (esp if its gonna sell for <$800)
    Unfortunately, I think it's going to cost just under $3,000.

Bleed away.

Problem is, there isn't anything else out there.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/27/2007 at 12:18 AM.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    The form factor of this device of very poor. Not much more than an EnVe with a few more bells and whistles. Not a suitable Foleo replacement IMO. A Foleo replacement needs to have a full sized keyboard and a LCD large enough to be useful.
    Q, love yoyr posts, but this was a bit on the ignorant side. I don't blame you to some degree, but researching this device before compairing it to an enV is definitely requested.

800x400 screen, BT, wifi, GPS, OS that can handle Flash (Lite), boots quickly. The addition over the Foleo is cellular (3G). Size is considerably larger than the enV, larger than a Treo. It's a handheld PC like device more than a laptop, hence my suggesting here. From the sound of what posters in this thread asked for, the E90 fits in several areas and so I wonder why it hasn't come up.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  7. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Q, love yoyr posts, but this was a bit on the ignorant side. I don't blame you to some degree, but researching this device before compairing it to an enV is definitely requested..
    Indeed. I did have a quick look at the E90 website, but didn't go into the technical specs. Comparing it to an enV was a bit of an exageration on my part, agreed

800x400 screen, BT, wifi, GPS, OS that can handle Flash (Lite), boots quickly. The addition over the Foleo is cellular (3G). Size is considerably larger than the enV, larger than a Treo. It's a handheld PC like device more than a laptop, hence my suggesting here. From the sound of what posters in this thread asked for, the E90 fits in several areas and so I wonder why it hasn't come up.
    The features seem impressive, but the form factor kills it. It's trying to be more of a smartphone than a mobile computer. One could learn to live with a small display, but there's no typing on that keyboard. It's more of a thumb board than a keyboard.

To be a Foleo replacement, the device must have a full sized keyboard. Sacrifice this and you may as well be using your Treo.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    The features seem impressive, but the form factor kills it. It's trying to be more of a smartphone than a mobile computer. One could learn to live with a small display, but there's no typing on that keyboard. It's more of a thumb board than a keyboard.

To be a Foleo replacement, the device must have a full sized keyboard. Sacrifice this and you may as well be using your Treo.
    Its a smartphone, and hence why I asked. I understand the need/want for a Foleo. I wanted the Foleo myself. However, in its abscense I'm looking at other options and this happens to be one for myself. I wondered why in this particular discussion it wasn't mentioned.

There was a current look at the E90 at AAS. Pardon the over fanatic-ism, but we get like that about things we like.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    current look at the E90 at AAS. Pardon the over fanatic-ism, but we get like that about things we like.
    I'm very much a gadget junkie, but this device just doesn't do anything for me. The form factor is just plain bad. It's too big to be useful as a smartphone, but too small to be any good as a mobile companion. It seems like it wants to be a mobile companion. If they'd double the size, then maybe they'd have something.

I'd buy a one of the expensive flash drive ultra-portables before every considering this.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    I couldn't agree more. Ultramobiles in any form factor lacking a full size keyboard for touch typing have fundamental usability issues that no amount of included software, RAM or CPU horsepower can overcome.

It looks like the EEE PC, despite its build quality issues, is the next best bet. I'm holding out for the 10" model.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Unless someone finds a way to put usable speech recognition into a Treo-sized package. It would work much better on a phone than a regular PC, because you wouldn't feel like a dork talking to your phone...
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  12. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Unless someone finds a way to put usable speech recognition into a Treo-sized package. It would work much better on a phone than a regular PC, because you wouldn't feel like a dork talking to your phone...
    Worthless. See how far speech recognition will get you in a crowded Starbucks shop, at the airport, on a train, at a seminar listening to a speaker, ..., etc. Unless someone comes up with a way to wire it directly to a person's brain, it has got to have a keyboard.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Worthless. See how far speech recognition will get you in a crowded Starbucks shop, at the airport, on a train, at a seminar listening to a speaker, ..., etc. Unless someone comes up with a way to wire it directly to a person's brain, it has got to have a keyboard.
    With a decent noise cancellation headset it doesn't matter how noisy it is, voice recognition would get the job done.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  14. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    With a decent noise cancellation headset it doesn't matter how noisy it is, voice recognition would get the job done.
    You would consider it good etiquette to sit in a business meeting or seminar taking notes by talking into a headset?

The Truth About MonaVie:
  15.    #75  
    I dont see speech recognition as much of a future mobile computing feature than lets say web 2.0 or GotomyPC access or voip...

leave speech features on the Treo... no need to put that feature on a "mobile companion". With a few more tweaks, the Foleo can do all three i mentioned above, and that is all we need for a "moblie computing device".
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    You would consider it good etiquette to sit in a business meeting or seminar taking notes by talking into a headset?
    Or even tapping away at a keyboard? (Do you know if they are taking notes, or texting their friends??)

Seriously though, there are circumstances where a smaller device with dictation software would be more useful than a bulky keyboard. People still use dictaphone devices after all; the main reason they don't is because they leave a task undone (transcription).
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  17. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Or even tapping away at a keyboard? (Do you know if they are taking notes, or texting their friends??)

Seriously though, there are circumstances where a smaller device with dictation software would be more useful than a bulky keyboard. People still use dictaphone devices after all; the main reason they don't is because they leave a task undone (transcription).
    I attend seminars and meetings all of the time where people are taking notes on a laptop. Who cares if they are texting a friend. It isn't bothering anyone else.

I believe we are getting a bit off topic here. The point of this discussion is talking about devices (options) that could fill the void left by the Foelo being canceled. A dictation maching isn't this device.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I believe we are getting a bit off topic here. The point of this discussion is talking about devices (options) that could fill the void left by the Foelo being canceled. A dictation maching isn't this device.
    OK, back to the Official Topic then.

What void?

Foleo was cancelled because not enough people was going to buy it, and it was an acknowledged low volume product. Individuals may have a requirement, but that's hardly a "void".
  19. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    OK, back to the Official Topic then.

What void?

Foleo was cancelled because not enough people was going to buy it, and it was an acknowledged low volume product. Individuals may have a requirement, but that's hardly a "void".
    How do you know the Foleo wouldn't have sold? Do you have some market numbers the rest of us havn't seen? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$ $was$ $never$ $acknowledged$ $by$ $Palm$ $as$ $a$ $low$ $volume$ $product$.

As far as the void, it is there for those who desire/need the type of device the Foleo was going to be. There is currently nothing out there that will do what the Foleo did. Asus PC EEE looks close, but we'll see.

Obviously, you don't fall into the category of people who would use a Foleo, therefore you're not seeing the cancelation of the Foleo as a void. I have no use what so ever for jackhammers and would honestly care less if people stopped making them all together. I personally know that holes can be dug with other types of hand tools or heavy equipment, therefore there ARE other tools out there to do the job of a jackhammer. However, if peopled stopped making jackhammers I'm sure certain construction people would view the lack of this tool as a void and would want someone else to make a jackhammer replacement.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  20.    #80  
    low volume or not, its us who love the product in this thread who are "feeling the void"
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast