Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    In getting back to the original thread, I have to wonder what we will see from the next few days at the Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco this week. For example, there's already a short clip on a new device being announced by Benq.

Pretty interesting stuff. I'm curious to hear what functionality it has in the absence of the Foleo.
  2. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    Pretty interesting stuff. I'm curious to hear what functionality it has in the absence of the Foleo.
    Not sure how the absence of the Foleo has anything to do with this Benq machine. It's nothing more than a tablet computer with a customized UI. Much different than what the Foleo was going to be.

Tablet computers fit certain peoples needs, such as those putting on power point presentations or doing tasks like taking inventory. I don't see this machine filling any type of a void left by the Foleo.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  3. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    The following looks very promising:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=17434

http://www.small-laptops.com/2007/09...september-5th/

A flash memory apple notebook running the same version of OS X as the Iphone, with a small footprint, light weight, and long battery. This bad boy has potential. Apple is almost worse than Palm when it comes to keeping things secret, so there aren’t many details floating around yet. What I have found sounds very compelling. I've historically not been an Apple computer fan (I do like my ipod though), but I have to admit that Apple makes some of the best notebooks out there in terms of quality. I will seriously be looking at this notebook when it hits the street.

My only concern is if the Mac can or cannot do DUN.

Bulls96, looks like your friend Mr. Jobs might be coming to our rescue afterall.

ADD ON:

I've been surfing Google tonight reading about the various Ultra Portables out there. This really is a new market that most leading notebook makers are just getting into. Even newer are Flashmemory based ultraportables. The market it wide open here. Palm really would have been entering this market at the front end of the pack. Let's hope they are regrouping and planning to release Foleo II in the next year.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/18/2007 at 12:27 AM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by harps View Post
    Back to the original post, I've gone out and purchased a used 12" Powerbook.
    The reason I was excited about the Foleo was that I was after a small lightweight device to take when travelling (instead of my 3-5kg IBM Think"Brick") where I could access the web via wifi or via the phone, and view work e-mail attachments.
    Powerbook is small, light, and has all the software I need to access our service via Citirx and view/edit word, excel and powerpoint files. Plus it has Mac OS X over useless Windows XP.
    Only challenge now is to work out how I can share files on my home iMac with it.
    It's easy to share files between Macs if they are connected by the same network. I can access my mac mini, powerbook, or even my PC's Shared Documents folder thru the Network on Mac OSX

Like i mentioned in my first post, i too have a 12" Powerbook. Next to the Foleo it probably is the best subnotebook available in the market... The main thing about it that i think the Foleo really hit right was the weight... The 12" Powerbook is a brick to carry... And unless you run Missing Sync, syncing between the Treo and the PB is not really the best...

@ ~Q~ - I dont want to be rescued by Steve Jobs... I know he has all the resources in the world to come up with something special but I still want to be rescued by Palm... I want them to innovate on this device and make Apple and Windows scratch their heads and say "Why didnt we think of that"...much like they scratched their heads when Palm got the Palm Pilot right... And i think part of the reason why i love Palm is that they are the Underdogs in this field... the Dark Horse... and I will continue to root for them as long as they dont get bought by any other company and remain to be Palm Inc as we know them...
  5. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    @ ~Q~ - I dont want to be rescued by Steve Jobs... I know he has all the resources in the world to come up with something special but I still want to be rescued by Palm... I want them to innovate on this device and make Apple and Windows scratch their heads and say "Why didnt we think of that"...much like they scratched their heads when Palm got the Palm Pilot right... And i think part of the reason why i love Palm is that they are the Underdogs in this field... the Dark Horse... and I will continue to root for them as long as they dont get bought by any other company and remain to be Palm Inc as we know them...
    Neither do I Bulls96. I was trying to make my statment sound like it had some irony to it, but...

Based on what I've been reading tonight, I think we are seeing the tip of the iceberg with respect to these Flashram devices. It's really a shame Palm canceled the Foleo. If nothing else they should have released it to be one of the first on the market, which they would have been. Now we are going to have to wait and possibly look at devices like the new Apple. Unfortunately, we'll have to pony up $2k-$3k for this device instead of $500 for the Foleo.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Let me guess, the guys who fought to "clear their names" against each other, and whatever else?

Can you 2, whomever you may be, please stop hijacking threads over your personal arguments?

You're fine when discussing things on topic, but whenever you start fighting over personal stuff, it just detracts from everything.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/26/2007 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Chupa's post was apparently deleted, that's the post I was responding to.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Let me guess, the guys who fought to "clear their names" against each other, and whatever else?
    Wasn't it revealed that they were both one and the same sad individual? A relief if true: it's difficult to believe there could be TWO people quite that cracked!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Chupa and KOS were the same guy???
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I thought that's what I read... A brief search hasn't turned up the post though, and reading too much about/from those too again is making me lose the will to live!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    The bad thing is the poster(s) was actually quite a good poster when posting about the Foleo or whatever. It was good to see some new blood posting. It was only the fighting that detracted.

Sad.

Yup. Also known as "The Voice of Reason" over at Palminfocenter... and appears to have been reincarnated yet again as "Miss Oregon".... It constantly pops up around Palm fansites under different aliases, but the modus operandi is always the same.

(tip: look for the word "sleazy". dead giveaway...)
    Fighting with himself!! Yikes!! I hope the info he posted wasn't his real info!

Crazy *******. Someone needs to lock that individual up.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens suicide, should it be considered a hostage situation?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymask View Post
    Crazy *******. Someone needs to lock that individual up.
    uglymask

Uh-oh!
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Uh-oh!
    Not again! Another sign of insanity - you keep hanging around some place you're clearly not wanted...because even bad attention is at least some attention.
    Question: besides price, why aren't some of you looking at the Nokia E90 as a suitable Foleo replacement? Just curious.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Like i mentioned in my first post, i too have a 12" Powerbook. Next to the Foleo it probably is the best subnotebook available in the market... The main thing about it that i think the Foleo really hit right was the weight... The 12" Powerbook is a brick to carry... And unless you run Missing Sync, syncing between the Treo and the PB is not really the best.
    Well, that was one of the Foleo's main problems. While Missing Sync was an incomplete solution, and the Palm Desktop for the Mac sucked (then and now), at least there was some sync capability. The Foleo had none, except for email. A Jornada 720 from 2000 had a full PIM suite (Pocket Outlook), a great version of Pocket Word (with Outline View, a feature I consider indispensible, which WTG lacked), a Notes app, etc. -- all with instant-on. But the keyboard was horrible compared to the Foleo. There's just no getting around the need for a full-sized keyboard for larger-than-handheld mobile devices. The ideal device would be the form factor of the Foleo with a software suite comparable to the Jornada or the Psion Series 7/Netbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Question: besides price, why aren't some of you looking at the Nokia E90 as a suitable Foleo replacement? Just curious.
    Actually, at least on Sprint, the OQO Model 02 with Ev Rev A (maybe wimax?) could be a nice alternative. Still, at only 3 hrs of battery life and Vista, who knows.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Well, that was one of the Foleo's main problems. While Missing Sync was an incomplete solution, and the Palm Desktop for the Mac sucked (then and now), at least there was some sync capability. The Foleo had none, except for email. A Jornada 720 from 2000 had a full PIM suite (Pocket Outlook), a great version of Pocket Word (with Outline View, a feature I consider indispensible, which WTG lacked), a Notes app, etc. -- all with instant-on. But the keyboard was horrible compared to the Foleo. There's just no getting around the need for a full-sized keyboard for larger-than-handheld mobile devices. The ideal device would be the form factor of the Foleo with a software suite comparable to the Jornada or the Psion Series 7/Netbook.
    Perhaps that helps highlight the need for a solid sync option on a common platform. While I don't particularly agree with all of Ed's points in this article, he certainly brings some interesting ideas to the table:

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13351